It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students get kicked out of class for not praying

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: Prezbo369

Some agnostics lean toward belief...

But still espouse that it cannot be proven either way...

So really it just makes them agnostic.

That's why there is two separate definitions.

Sure some might, but leaning towards belief isn't possessing belief.
edit on 12-10-2015 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

I fear we are delving into semantics now.

Agree to disagree?

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Agree to disagree?

Oh I surely do

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
If you do not go to church there, then you become an outcast. Many businesses won't even hire someone if they do not go to church....

This is a religious discrimination lawsuit. If you can prove that a business didn't hire you because you weren't Christian, you are looking at QUITE a big windfall from a nice, hefty lawsuit.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Until we get into the top 5 of educational results again religion ( any religion) social warrior issues and the like need to take a back seat to reading, writing, math, and science. The rest of the garbage is just that. Junk food for the brain that will not help you with results.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Metallicus
God didn't create religion...man did. Besides, someone who isn't at least agnostic is foolish.

Seeing as agnostics lack the belief in god/s (making them atheists) I find this comment ironic and humorous...

GJ!

Agnostic means God can not be proven or disproven.

Even if that were true, they still lack the belief....making them....

That is not what agnostic means.

An agnostic isn't a theist as they lack the belief in order to be one.

And if you lack belief...

Not true.

It's a default position of maybe -- maybe not. Proof required.
edit on 12-10-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

huh?

You do know that not everyone will kiss your ass just because you have been here so long,or because you have a bunch of shiny stars right?

haha so typical..

edit on 12-10-2015 by Poppcocked because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Not true.

It's a default position of maybe -- maybe not. Proof required.

So do you think agnostic people have a belief in a god or not?

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Gnosticism has to do with Knowledge.
Theism has to do with Belief.

One can be both agnostic and atheist (I am an agnostic atheist = I don't KNOW if there is a God, but I don't BELIEVE there is.)

Really, arguing over the meaning of these two words is not relevant to this story and takes away from it, IMO.

The school was sued and had to pay up. As it should be.
edit on 10/12/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

The school was sued and had to pay up. As it should be.

The cruddy part, as pointed out earlier, it is really the taxpayers footing the bill for this nudnik's stupidity.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

This also infuriates me when the state is in the wrong. The tax payers have to foot the bill for one or two people's misuse of the Constitution.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
This also infuriates me when the state is in the wrong. The tax payers have to foot the bill for one or two people's misuse of the Constitution.

Yeah, not really sure what the alternative would have been. Maybe instead of having John/Jane Q. Public paying the bill the could have tabbed the teachers union for allowing a cretin like this to hold a position.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

This reminds me of when I was in high school. We had an engineering teacher who was a real asshole. So the students decided to get even against him. At one point he gave an AutoCAD cd to some students and told them to install it on every pc in the engineering department. So the students turned around and turned him in for software piracy. And this was in 2002 when that stuff was BIG in the news too.

The school ended up settling a MASSIVE lawsuit. Here's what happened afterwards. The budgets for all the departments in the school was severely slashed for the years the lawsuit had to be repaid and the teacher kept his job because he had tenure. There WAS a nice emotional gain though. After the controversy was over not only did the students hate this teacher, but now all the teachers did too.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Just one of the many reasons I have a very hard time trusting Christians or any religious people for that matter.

Invariably they let their dogma, faith, theology or doctrine get in the way of their common sense.
edit on 12-10-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Poppcocked
Do you "atheists" give your children a choice to believe in god if they want or do yo make them believe what you believe?

and if they do choose to believe in god, do you point your fingers and laugh at them like you do other religious folk?

a choice whether to believe in a mythical being?....I would tell them first, that god is like Santa Claus, a mythical being made up to promote goodness in the world

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Just one of the many reasons I have a very hard time trusting Christians or any religious people for that matter.

Invariably they let their dogma, faith, theology or doctrine get in the way of their common sense.

here's religious freedom in Alabama circa 2014...
whnt.com...

and here's religious Christian INTOLERANCE back in our history....
www.smithsonianmag.com...

maybe non-Christians should be glad that there is no lake dipping, stockade lock-ups, or witch-burnings being done today by the religious right.....

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Do you "atheists" give your children a choice to believe in god if they want or do yo make them believe what you believe?

No. You cannot GIVE (or take away) the choice to believe. We all have the inherent right to believe whatever we want.

If I had children, I would teach them that people believe all sorts of things, but there's no way we can KNOW. And that as they grow up, they will discover what they believe about life, how we got here, and what was going to happen when we die.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
religion has NO place in education. it is all fiction.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

and if they do choose to believe in god, do you point your fingers and laugh at them like you do other religious folk?

It's actually nobody's business what atheists, Christians or any other parents teach their children about religion.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz4
religion has NO place in education. it is all fiction.

Until our educational results increase by quite a bit religion, social justice issues, and the like need to all take a back burner. Don't care if you can tell me about Christian or Muslim religions, don't care if you think our society needs to be more accepting. Have you gained enough education so when high school is you have options in your life? A lot of times maybe not. Sad

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join