It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People who don't write threads....

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Again I am not pissed at people who disagree with me I am pissed at people who don't bother writing threads but will derail or trash the threads of others.

So you're "pissed" then, but deflect away from the reason. What you call "derailed" others call enlightenment. Who's pissing in your cheerios?

By the way, I did threads in the beginning but reaiized I'm better at chiming in than hosting. I'm not that educated, I'm a grammar hack and lack social skills.

Thats why I don't generate a lot of crap. Whats your excuse?
edit on 14-3-2015 by intrptr because: bb code

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Again I am not pissed at people who disagree with me I am pissed at people who don't bother writing threads but will derail or trash the threads of others.

So you're "pissed" then, but deflect away from the reason. What you call "derailed" others call enlightenment. Who's pissing in your cheerios?

By the way, I did threads in the beginning but reaiized I'm better at chiming in than hosting. I'm not that educated, I'm a grammar hack and lack social skills.

Thats why I don't generate a lot of crap. Whats your excuse?

If you're disagree with me that fine by me.

There are lots of members out there who never write a thread but every post they seem to write is like gold and that is fine

There is not right and wrong in this, just differing views on it.

In my view i get pissed of at people who derail and trash threads yet never actually take the time to write a thread themselves. I think rather than derailing the thread they should go and make a thread on what ever topic it is they are trying to stray into.

If you disagree with me on that, that's cool.

Nobody has to piss in anyone's cheerios.

No reason for this discussion to get heated so long as we all respect that we all have slightly different views and can get over it.
edit on 14-3-2015 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I guess we have a new buzzword in 'derail'. Perhaps your thread was dismissed by some for a reason. This logic is silly and just a little bratty. Ever questioned politics? I guess you have no right to, unless you are a politician offering better policies. And don't question MSM either, as I'm guessing you don't own a TV network or newspaper.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Fine. I often wonder who I am talking to as well. its an itch you scan never scratch. What I eventually realized is its best to focus on the content, an oft reminder from staff.

Also, as a matter of habit i tend to check the thread list of others, it gives me a idea of who I am debating with.

The message, not the messenger.

edit on 14-3-2015 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlowNail
I guess we have a new buzzword in 'derail'. Perhaps your thread was dismissed by some for a reason. This logic is silly and just a little bratty. Ever questioned politics? I guess you have no right to, unless you are a politician offering better policies. And don't question MSM either, as I'm guessing you don't own a TV network or newspaper.

I think the term "derail" describes the type of post in question perfectly.

I also think that in many cases they are not intentional but more down down to the need to push personal beliefs and agenda as opposed to discussing the topic in question.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

The message, not the messenger.

I have to agree with this, I try to avoid if possible any opinions I may have on a member and only take into account there input in the particular thread.

I am quite happy to argue with someone in one post and wholeheartedly agree with them simultainiously.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Further…

All the fuzzy warm and happy things on this planet are great. I don't have any thing to say about that. My response are mostly directed at the dark side of human activity, exposing whats wrong or whats being lied about and covered up.

That makes people call out shill and debunker. Unlike the Main stream, this is a two way forum. I know what it was like before the Internet.

I prefer it this way.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Let me be a little clearer on why i tend to have a quick scan and previous thread a member has written.

Say for example i was a member who was asking a question on say Aviation and Zaphod (you know the mod) was to respond. If i take a quick glance through his previous thread I can quite clearly see he knows a thing or two about aviation and I would then be more inclined to take his word over a aviation matter than a guy who just joined. It would be the same on other topics.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   

As a newcomer to this site I found it to be very welcoming and the nice folk are very polite ( even the guy who told me to me to wind my neck in when I was painfully out of my depth on a subject and just waffling was a gentlemen ). What I have noticed though is some threads (religion and 9/11 for example) have the worst kinds of baiting and trolling and you have to watch very carefully what you write unless it is taken out of context (and then you are trolled to death. ..what's the collective noun for a gathering of trolls? Congress ? Parliament ?).

It can be scary for a new guy to post a new thread. It's like being the new kid in school with everyone waiting for you to mess yourself in the playground ( I swear I was just going to break wind, damn you undercooked sausages ). I posted my first thread , just a question really regarding UK politics, and there was not a lot of research I'm afraid, but I have broke my cherry and once I can figure out how to use this tablet thing I will definitely post more.
edit on 14-3-2015 by thepitpony because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I'm crap at starting threads, started 34 in 7+ years.

So you think I'm not entitled to pass comment and contribute to other people's threads?

If so, in your opinion exactly what is the point of ATS?

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

I'm crap at starting threads, started 34 in 7+ years.

So you think I'm not entitled to pass comment and contribute to other people's threads?

If so, in your opinion exactly what is the point of ATS?

Read the op my problem is with people who dreail n trash the threds of others but never post their own

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Define 'trash the threads of others'.

If by that you mean people who post different opinions to those stated in thread OP's well, guess I've been guilty of that on numerous occasions.

If you mean 'trolls' and 'shills' well they come in many guises irrelevant of whether they start threads or not......put simply, a knobhead is a knobhead.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I'm one of those guys who doesn't make threads. My reasoning is because the first thread I ever participated in was the Underwater Military Bases thread. I figured I'd give my input on the conspiracy since I had spent many years as a submariner. Instead of anything positive coming out of it. All I got was attacked because it went against his friends "story". So, I decided I won't make any threads and waste my time. I'll just sit back and read topics that I feel are interesting.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Everyone.....

Star Wars blows.

That is all.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Define 'trash the threads of others'.

If by that you mean people who post different opinions to those stated in thread OP's well, guess I've been guilty of that on numerous occasions.

If you mean 'trolls' and 'shills' well they come in many guises irrelevant of whether they start threads or not......put simply, a knobhead is a knobhead.

yes mate... I'm fairly certain "trash" and "derail" threads means coming into a thread with an opposing viewpoint and showing the OP to be wrong or not as solid as they thought.

Also people who post things that the OP doesn't "Want" in their threads... I've seen people say that to other people *smh*

Like you can dictate what and how people post.

It's pathetic frankly mate.

edit on 16/3/15 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn
Everyone.....

Star Wars blows.

That is all.

Only a scruffy looking nerfherder would say that!

Oh yes - the thread, I hear you Otherside, I would personally love to create more threads but at the moment I do not have a constant or reliable internet access and am often offline randomly for hours/days and I feel that I would not be able to accompany the thread and address posts and replies.

My pet hate is seeing a thread posted, esp one of no debatable merit (ie- simply a sensational 'Breaking News/celebrity Story') and two minutes after posting the thread, the poster is offline! leaving it hanging and harvesting flags and stars like an audience applauding for hours after curtain down and lights up in a theatre.

I enjoy non-serious threads but I hate to see threads abandoned by their parent poster.
So basically I won't begin a thread unless I am able and willing to see it through all the way and answer any questions and criticism or supply more info to everyone who took the trouble to read it.

Maybe there a lot of people who feel like that and that is why we don't create threads?

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I've made just two threads and asked a question in the official board & business forum - totalling three threads.
Quite honestly, I don't give a hoot what the OP or anyone else thinks of me or my contribution to this site.
I think it's petty, elitist and divisive to make this kind of thread and does nothing to make ATS better or bring people together.
A couple other members already said something about those who churn out thread after thread after thread, just trying to rack up stars and flags - to be blunt that is just lame.
I'd rather post and contribute as and when I see fit than just pollute ATS and waste bandwidth and space by clogging the site up with complete crap.

/rant
edit on 16-3-2015 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   

I agree, I look at the overall "gravitas" of a poster, anything less than 100 flags after 5 years and I really wonder about their involvement here, IF they are trolling threads and derailing topics, but the mods are pretty good at punting these guys too.

Making threads is fun, some die really fast, others get tons of flags and stars, and you never know which way it will go.

edit on 17-3-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I suppose this rant also applies to me. The problem i have is quite simple - internet access only whilst at work. This means i usually have time to peruse but not to construct a thread.

On top of this, content. Take myself - the only threads i would be comfortable presenting would be in the Ancient Civilizations forum......the problem being the ones i think of are generally already on the site by the time i discover them. And usually by posters like Slayer, Punkinworks, Hanslune, Harte, etc - who can do them so much better than i can. Which leaves me with the dilemma, do i attempt a new thread, rethrashing older ideas? Or simple contribute to existing threads?

One day though, i will do a thread that you are all free to pick to pieces. I won't mind either, honest.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I try to post in a way that I can contribute to a discussion.
Or post when I see a question that I have an answer for and back it up with facts.
In other words, I try to make my posts worthy.

As for the thread making, I come to ATS for an alternate view on certain world events and subjects, and there is a lot of experienced and qualified thread makers who I enjoy reading, so I kind of not bother to create them. I often find someone who has already made one on the subject I'm interested in.

Although I have been working on a certain mystery since 1999 (part time). One day I will make a thread on this subject and try to get input from other ATS members. This IMO will be interesting.
When this day come, I hope I will not be shunned for the fact that I'm no big contributor.

Cheers.

SG

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join