It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living in the USA Vs UK

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

LoL

I just wish they'd tell me about it to be honest, I seem to be kept away from those meetings of World Domination.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Imagine two ships. On one the people there are fine and decent for the most part. A few bad apples, the Captain, Navigator and helmsmen are doing deranged movements and noises. On board are some marines who protect the captain. Also on board are some Ensigns who go-between the people and the Captain.
The inhabitants/crew ride the waves and are armed so the marines and Captain can't do bad things to them too much. Yet the Navigator wants to sail the ship to foreign ports and trade people for other people. The Captain agrees but the helmsman doesn't. The Ensigns also don't agree fully. The ship will never be sold and most of the people never enslaved.

One day in the future the Captain tries to force the helmsman to steer into a foreign port where merchants are eagily waiting. The ensigns and people storm the bridge and threaten the captain that they'll sink the boat on the rocks, hang him from the mast and build another one to sail away.
The Captain comes to his senses and the ship sails away while the crew enjoy some freedom again, the captain is thrown in the brig and a new captain is elected. Hopefully he won't be crazed with power and lapses into madness once more.

This ship is the USA circa 2020.

One the other is a smaller ship. The people there are fine and decent for the most part.The people there are always watching the fish jump about and distracted especially by the music from the Captains musician. Nearly all their weapons have been thrown overboard and they don't want anyone else getting them back. Only the marines are armed who answer to the Captain.
The Captain and helmsmen are doing deranged movements and noises. The Navigator is always having the helmsmen steering the ship near to rocks to wave to his friends. The Captain is wanting to sell his own people to merchants in exchange for foreigners but for the time being he sends barrels of treasure stolen from the crew to them.
The inhabitants/crew ride the waves and want to be left alone but the music convinces them otherwise. The Navigator has greedy plans to sail the ship to foreign ports and trade people for other people. The Captain agrees as does the helmsman. The Ensigns readily agree only if their families are promoted and spared any slavery. Soon the ship will be sold and the people on board gloriously enslaved.

One day in the future the Captain has the helmsman steer the boat to a foreign port where merchants are eagily waiting. Amazingly the unarmed people, trusting the marines, ensigns and Captain eagerly dance off the gangplank into slavery. A few try and fight but many are slain and a few survivors have to flee in a jolly boat with the only loyal ensign to try and find a safe haven.
The Captain celebrates his progressive victory but is eternally frustrated that a few have eluded his plan! Grrrrr!

This ship is the UK and Europe circa 2020.

edit on 7-2-2015 by WatchRider because: Snip for future post

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: WatchRider

So never been here and you think you know about living here.
Sorry we had freedom for centurys.
All your freedoms are based on ours.

I was raised and lived in the UK. I've lived in more countries and traveled more than most so have a unique perspective on the world compared to you monkey.

There are worse places but by the powers there are much better too.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

So your whole analogy hinges on the idea that Marines would sell us out?

I think you need to add your overactive and interfering Alphabet Agencies to your Ship for a true representation of who's in control...
Cos it's not the people.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: mclarenmp4
The O.P's vision of the U.K is different from mine.

I live in a city in the north of Scotland and most of the issues the OP had for the UK don't really exist where I am.

He mentions freedom as if we were under oppression but to be honest I've never felt oppressed at any time. I can travel without any concern of violence, the cops here aren't all on a power trip and are generally nice folk with the odd exception of course.

I can drive 20 miles into the wilderness and set up camp anywhere on public land without much issue, we have a ton of beautiful countryside to explore, the people are generally warm people and I regularly spend Saturday nights in town and all there's maybe a few fist fights i've only been involved in 1 fight in over 20 years of saturday nights in town. Never seen a gun and so never felt any danger from them.

I am envious that you are in the best of areas. I've lived up in Scotland but base my summary on the England area which is typically the place most people think of.
Scotland is one of the few places, if I was living there, would be doable as a country with a good standard of living.
Tresspass laws are non-existance compared to the UK (where you can't even wild camp in the wilderness!). Yet my friend from Aberdeen tried what you did and had some jobsworth ranger move him on for camping out in his car, that was only after one day!

As to your injuries. If they occured on the workers dime you'd be covered by workmans comp.

I've been on a job where someone broke their leg. He was climbing up the truck to clean the windshield, slipped and down he went.
This was in the USA in back of nowhere Dakota and guess what? He got full coverage, full treatment and still got paid while he was recovering. I was there during the harvest season. He went onto light duties and no issues. Took him a couple of months but he did just fine. He recovered and was back in the truck just for the last few weeks of harvest season.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

I think you need to add your overactive and interfering Alphabet Agencies to your Ship for a true representation of who's in control...
Cos it's not the people.

The marines were loyal to their superiors, NOT to their people ultimately. I'm using the marines as an allegory for law-enforcement paramilitary and army.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Cos it's not the people.

It would have bogged down the allegory further as then I should add this and that and before long it would be too distracting and insubstantial. The clear cut is 1 2 and 3. 1 is the people. 2 is the intermediary. 3 is those calling the shots down. Like a pyramid, but in this case a corrupted one.

(post by WatchRider removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I'm using the marines as an allegory for law-enforcement paramilitary and army.

Which your American ship doesn't seem to have for some unknown reason?

Sure... In 2020, the CIA, FBI, USAF, NSA, DHS, etc won't exist, or they will exist but they'll defend the people not the Superiors, that can only happen on the UK ship...

Your confidence in that is amazing.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   

No argument or basis in fact so you jump to accusations of me getting paid to disagree with your every word!

You're not that important...
& your word is not that influential...

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: mclarenmp4

Also he has had a pop at ukers for not having a gun culture.
Sorry op you think we are going to fight you over your uneducated opinions on the uk.

?.

I actually showed firearm application procedure here, so actually contribute to the UK's gun culture. What I don't agree with it that people cannot defend themselves in the UK. Not without risking jail by biased judges and lax weapon rights.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I haved lived in both the UK and the US. Really there are a lot of things different, but a lot are the same. The ease of movement in the UK is so much better, Trains, Buses, etc.... Here in the US, it is not as easy to get to from place to place and a lot of that has to do with how vast the region of the US is. As far as Guns go, I have always had guns, well not in the UK, but here in the US and to be able to throw your shotgun or rifle in the back of the truck, drive a little bit, and be away from everyone, and one with nature, is so rewarding I wouldnt trade that for anything. I love the UK and the heritage, but something always draws me back to the US. Just the freedom that you feel over here, you have the ability to just take off, and if you don't want to be found or just want to get away from people, it can be done with ease.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

No...

But I'll tell you what does make me feel better...

That someone as delusional as you, who believes that people are paid to troll his thread that will never influence anything but an expansion in capacity data for ATS owners has left the UK...

You gonna answer the question of why your Alphabet Agencies & Military would defend the people rather than superiors but the UK equivalent wouldn't...

Do you have any proof that this is the case?

Or that it will be the case in "2020"...?

I'm sure you don't.

You keep on ignoring questions about your flawed analogy which you used to make some sort of point!!!

You had enough confidence to make the analogy...
Have the confidence to back it up which some facts!

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
OPs opinion of the UK doesn't match my opinion of living in the UK.

But I guess it entirely depends where you live. Friend of mine emigrated to America, but he lived in central Birmingham. So it was like the promised land to him. Literally anywhere would have seemed like paradise after living in central Birmingham.

Not just there either, the wilderness of the US is far superior. More wild game, more mystery and room for expansion.

For a small country, we pack in a huge amount of landscapes. And a vast variety too. Thing about a lot of the American wilderness is that it's just that, wildnerness, endless mile upon mile of... nothing much. Some barren areas but that's just to keep the casual outsiders from finding the best places
Felling some trees at one of my retreats. No barren desert, just lovely lush trees, fresh water springs and green foilage:

We have a much more healthy political picture.

if progressive politics are you thing then I guess to you it is 'healthy'
All the political parties are like cookie-cutter copies of each other. Just change the name, shuffle a few minor policies around and it's like a three-headed hydra!

Don't get my wrong the US system is along the same lines. The Dems and Reps aren't much different only they disguise their collusions a lot better.

And Freedom? In America? Really? The freedom of America is an illusion, if anything I'd say Americans live in the most oppressive state in the West.

Only if your in a hellhole typically. Get away from the riff-raff and you're home-free
We have one sheriff who patrols an area the size of yorkshire. He drives by the town once a year and I wave to him. That's it!

I mean, at heart both countries are pretty similiar. The people both here and the States are largely friendly and helpful. People are just people, you know.

Some areas are better than others for friendliness. Head away from the East and West coast and the small-towns are excellent

The thing I like best about the UK though is that we're not infected by this American Dream illusion of 'pulling yourself up by your bootstraps.'

There's more jobs in the USA IF you travel. If you stay on your arse you don't get jack! Reward Vs Hand Out.

It is much better, I think, to live in a compassionate society. Rather than a dog-eat-dog society.

In an ideal world maybe. In this one compassionate societies are easily corrupted and distorted. Dog-Eat-Dog as you call it rewards the hardworking UNLESS compassionate society infects it.

And that to me is the key US/UK difference.

And this to you is my response mate.

See bold.

edit on 7-2-2015 by WatchRider because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I suggest you read the t&C.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

I don't know why the op made this thread.
We are different not one place is better.
Like I said before...baiting this is and continues when shown an opposing view.
Let the thread die people.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join