It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lowell police surprise drivers with Christmas gifts

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Police in Lowell Michigan, thought they would spread some holiday cheer. Some fifty cars were pulled over during routine traffic stops. However, this wasn't your normal everyday traffic stop.

Officers, after pulling over the vehicle would begin to ask the driver if they had done all their Christmas shopping. After inquiring about what it is they'd be buying, a group of helpers stationed at a near by store would purchase the items and bring it back to the patrol car. The officer then would give presents to the driver after asking is this what you wanted.

Source

The police decided to surprise drivers by taking care of their Christmas shopping. Officers would pull residents over, ask what they needed for Christmas, and stall while their secret shoppers found the gifts, wrapped them, and then delivered them to the traffic stop scene.

Good job guys...

edit on 10-12-2014 by Daedal because: edit

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I saw this on the news today... I was surprised. Not because police were doing this, but because it actually got coverage.

I agree. Great job on their part.

It is nice to see a story that isn't trying to fan the flames of hate and division like so many are doing as of late.
edit on 12/10/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

I want to live in a community where the people respect it and the police

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I hope this happened to the people that needed it and appreciated it the most.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   
i would have love to have not been pulled over and put through their little game.
i suppose its cool but i would have been annoyed anyway.

gee. thanks for the gift of pulling me over and then making me sit here while barney goes to the store to get the old spice gift set i have always wanted. made my holiday

while i do suppose it was a nice gesture, i would prefer they actually do some police work.
i dont need the gifties

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

Bah humbug.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   

If all police behaved like that, we would never have a problem.
Much respect to them, and all the best.
Small side question: on some posts, like this, i don't see the big reply button on the top, i can only reply directly to OP, there is an empty space between subscribe and alert, and if i hover my mouse there, it does change shape, but no icon to click, it happens in like 1 in 100 posts..what gives?

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Where is the money for this coming from?

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

A majority of programs that provide assistance to lower income families are funded from donations solicited by the police departments.

A lot of agencies have officers assigned to community policing teams and one of their jobs is to put together programs like stated in the OP.

Generally the officers will make contact with businesses and ask for help. Some are local businesses while others are corporations.

Places like Wal-Mart, Target, McDonald's etc. are major contributors.

We also hold events like "tip a cop" where we wait tables at a local restaurant and all the tips we receive we donate to charity or to fund programs like the OP.
edit on 11-12-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-12-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

Thanks for your reply. I noticed you are using the word "we". Are you a police officer?

Regarding the money, I was wishing it was money recovered from drug dealers and other criminals. That would be great.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I think it's great.

Cops are generally good people who right now are getting a lot of bad press. There are a LOT more good cops than bad cops. I know several, and they really do want to make a difference in the community.

I'm sure they are sick of being demonized.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

You got it right in saying good job, because it is their JOB. They havent done this out of their own pocket or good nature. It was their job to stand their and give away other peoples money to improve the image of the police which was destroyed by them. Im not saying all of them but a large enough section to create what is i feel an image that wont be restored. Dirt sticks, no matter how much u scrub it, spray something to hide the smell etc the smell of #e will always come through.

Bah humbug, they can stick their propaganda boxes up their arses.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: liteonit6969

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Well doing stuff like this is a start.

I have always looked at the world in terms of relationships. How we relate to race, to authority, the cops, the government, the corporations is so very important in a civilized society.

I hope we can get to a place where we see the cops as being our friend, there to protect us from violent crime and robbery: Where the Military are our friend, there to defend us from attack: Where the governments and corporations are there to establish balanced law, services and rights for all their citizens; quite simply, that a fair game is being played.

I know it would be much better for ALL of us. Give it a try, why not? What is the point of being king if you are just king of a wasteland and lots of miserable slaves in bondage?

edit on 11-12-2014 by lonesomerimbaud because: punctuation.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Spending tax cents to bribe the public who paid the tax in the first place is bound to work and this could only ever happen in the USA.

Sorry mum we killed your son but here is a 56" 4X flat screen to take your mind off it.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

This is not a start. Tell that the the people who have lost loved ones, but sure its ok there is a tv. Are you all serious? What has giving out something which they have not had to work for and save for. Its not theirs to give. So you are saying its a start by standing there getting paid to give out other peoples money, while peoples lives have been ruined and will continue to be ruined by these people.

Are we all so fickle, or has our memories been fried by these tv's and xbox's?

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Yes I am an officer.

Contrary to popular belief (especially on ATS) police departments have participated in programs like this for decades.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: liteonit6969

And may I ask what you do for your community?

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Daedal
a reply to: Grovit

Bah humbug.

yeah whatever man.
i dont need to be part of their little gift giving extravanganza.
not everyone is into christmas you know.
i should be allowed to travel. i dont like the idea of being duped into sitting their so they can get me a gift.
i hate getting gifts. it makes me very nervous and anxious opening them in front of people and i dont like it.
i just want to be left alone.

i want them in my life if i call them or i need their help. other than that i dont need or want them in my life.
dont need to be a part of their community hug fest

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I would ask that the police would follow the oath they took and stop treating everyone like the enemy.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join