It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lowell police surprise drivers with Christmas gifts

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: liteonit6969

Ok, everyone is angry. However, just shouting about it and saying "I can't breathe" will not CHANGE things. Going on hating will not change things. LEGISLATION will change things.

I'm glad that this has come to a head. I'm with you that it could not go on the way it has. Somehow there has to be real change and to restore proper social balance. Anarchy and retaliation will only make things worse. There are 100s of millions of people in the U.S. Law and order is essential so we can all continue to have resources to meet our collective survival needs.

Sorry to be boring and non reactionary, but the only change will happen at legislation level. Lobbying will get the cause a lot further.

I understand the way people feel and why, but I also accept the reality of society and that we must carry one and break the cycle of abuse and bad feeling. Hating the police will not get my point across. Seeing common ground and maintaining respect and lobbying for change will get me a lot further.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: VirusGuard
Spending tax cents to bribe the public who paid the tax in the first place is bound to work and this could only ever happen in the USA.

Sorry mum we killed your son but here is a 56" 4X flat screen to take your mind off it.

Except it, in all likelihood, was donated goods or purchased with funds that were donated to charity drives done by the police department.

Hysterical the lengths so many ATS'ers will go to bash cops. Shooting? All over it. Physical confrontation? All over it. Rights? All over it. Christmas presents?!? OH EM GEE EFF THE PIGS WE ARE SO ALL OVER THIS.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

I think policing their own would do a great deal more than purchasing gifts for random citizens of the community. I commend them for making an effort. My question is where is the money coming from to purchase these gifts? Also, did some felon with a warrant get a free TV?

ETA: I see someone said the money most likely came from charity the police department raised. If so...

edit on 11-12-2014 by amicktd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Somehow, I get visions of a man giving an Xbox to his step-son with his arm in a cast, or a daughter with sullen eyes getting an new iPhone to make up for the "special time" she spent with daddy.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
You know, all you negative people on this thread really need to take a step back and stop being such buttwipes.
You bitch and moan about the police, here is a GREAT example of them doing the right thing, and you STILL bitch and moan.
Grow up, or better yet, go out there and do what THEY are doing, instead of being a keyboard kommando from mommy's basement.

a reply to: Shamrock6
Wish I could give you more then one star, instead I'll do this:

Back to the OP:
I LOVED seeing this story, the looks on the people's faces was great, I loved how the people ran thru the store to grab the stuff and get it out to the waiting person. Simple Wow.
Lowell PD:

edit on 12/11/2014 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

not everyone my friend. i dont bitch about the cops
through all the cop bashing threads, 90% of the time im on the side of the cops.
i have no desire to be a cop.
none of that has anything to do with the fact that i dont need or want them to give me a gift.
the best gift they could give me is to leave me alone.

im wrong cause i dont want to be bothered? not everyone looks at the holiday in the same special light
edit on 11-12-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

That I can understand, not everyone celebrates Christmas, and thats fine too, my message was for those that still bash LEOs for TRYING to do the right thing, sorry if you thought my comment was aimed at you.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

no worries.
just wanted us to be on the same page

i know i can be a grinch.
does not make me wrong though....

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

Im a local volunteer at a charity shop. I used to travel to zambia to build houses and raise and bring funds (not those trips you see where it is luxury, this was done at the lowest fly price and to be honest was very difficult). I have a chronic leg disease now so i dont go out as much but i maintain a aquaponic system in my yard which i provide to my local soup kitchen. I try to do what i can as i have two young children and also take care of my partner who is bi polar and suffers from severe anxiety.

There are always people worse off and it is always easy to judge.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

I agree with you 100% in what you say, its just frustrating having to stand by and watch the circus show that is the media that is trying to create a better image of the police. It is constant and is obvious. For example another headline has popped up in the UK where a teenagers life was safed when he turned a rifle on people and then cops. They talked him down so they didnt have to shoot. I know it may be just a coincidence and having a untrusting mind but this looks to be a setup, and looking at that rifle i dont think you could do much damage with it, is it a potato gun?

Link to rifle Teenager

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: liteonit6969
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

I agree with you 100% in what you say, its just frustrating having to stand by and watch the circus show that is the media that is trying to create a better image of the police. It is constant and is obvious. For example another headline has popped up in the UK where a teenagers life was safed when he turned a rifle on people and then cops. They talked him down so they didnt have to shoot. I know it may be just a coincidence and having a untrusting mind but this looks to be a setup, and looking at that rifle i dont think you could do much damage with it, is it a potato gun?

Link to rifle Teenager

I think the media is infinitely happier to put bad behavior and poor decisions on display when it comes to law enforcement. So far above and beyond their willingness to cast law enforcement in a positive light.

So you're suspicious of the police NOT shooting somebody? I'd hate to see your reaction if they HAD shot him. And instead of being happy that the police didn't shoot somebody with a gun, we now call it a setup?

It really doesn't matter what LEOs do or don't do, some people just seem determined to complain about it. That's mind blowing to me.

And as for how much damage the gun can do: waiting till one is shot with a gun is typically a poor method to find out how much damage the weapon is capable of.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: lonesomerimbaud

Ok, everyone is angry. However, just shouting about it and saying "I can't breathe" will not CHANGE things. Going on hating will not change things. LEGISLATION will change things.

I'm glad that this has come to a head. I'm with you that it could not go on the way it has. Somehow there has to be real change and to restore proper social balance. Anarchy and retaliation will only make things worse. There are 100s of millions of people in the U.S. Law and order is essential so we can all continue to have resources to meet our collective survival needs.

Sorry to be boring and non reactionary, but the only change will happen at legislation level. Lobbying will get the cause a lot further.

I understand the way people feel and why, but I also accept the reality of society and that we must carry one and break the cycle of abuse and bad feeling. Hating the police will not get my point across. Seeing common ground and maintaining respect and lobbying for change will get me a lot further.

People hate police for the bad things they do and they get caught doing bad stuff every day. Nee stories every day. Several get caught covering for their buddies everyday. How many dont get caught? We know they are protected by their fellow officers and we see nothing being doneabout it. Only more and more cover ups being caught. As long as there are bad cops around. There are no good cops. Period. That is just how that works.

They can give away all the xboxes and big screens they want. How does that help their internal problems? I want to see a list of all the people who recieved gifts. I want to see them publish where they got the money from? Who is buying the gifts? Who is wrapping them? Who is paying the officers? Who is supplying money for the cruisers gas?
Let the shriners do this stuff. That is what they are for. When the police get caught up with their problems then and only then can they do this particular type of philanthropy.

This is not their job. And even when they are doing their job, they are not respectful, they lie, they abuse, they cover for their fellows.

If i offer to give an officer a tv. I am committing a felony. Why werent they giving out tvs to the ferguson protestors? Because its a publicity stunt. The exact thing i dont want my police doing.

edit on 11-12-2014 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I disagree with everything u have said there. Obviously you havent followed what the majority of the msm are feeding to the public usually falls into line of what the government or those behind the government want the narrative to be. The msm is a joke, for example is couldnt believe what i was listening to on the bbc news today. They were discussing how Jihadists were using twitter and other ways of communication to give their narrative of the conflicts and spreading propaganda. Yes thats right the BBC calling out someone for propaganda claims.

As for thegun claim, i would think an officer wouldnt wait to be shot, they would first through observation if possible check what type of gun is being carried and thus the damage. The weapon this young man was carrying to me looked like the worst it could do is put your eye out or give a bad bruise.

The conversation on here is rediculous in that people are so short sighted when a few public stunts trying to paint the police force out as decent people. I agree that there are many many good people within the police force but this tactic stinks when people are still grieving over loved ones.

What happened if you turned down the gift? would they give them a ticket of the minor?

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Well, they couldn't have done this in Ferguson because the 'buyers' wouln't find any stores that haven't been burnt down or merchandise looted.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

You're absolutely right: the conversation here is utterly ridiculous when a police department tries to engage their community, make people's holidays a little brighter, and is slammed for doing so.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit
i would have love to have not been pulled over and put through their little game.
i suppose its cool but i would have been annoyed anyway.

gee. thanks for the gift of pulling me over and then making me sit here while barney goes to the store to get the old spice gift set i have always wanted. made my holiday

while i do suppose it was a nice gesture, i would prefer they actually do some police work.
i dont need the gifties

I agree. Nobody should be pulled over by the police for any reason other than probable cause or reasonable suspicion of a crime being committed.

What if the person pulled over was drunk or had contraband or something illegal? Does the stop hold up in court since there was not RS or PC for the stop? What if you are made late for an appointment or to pick up your kid?

There is certain anxiety involved in being pulled over, why do that to people. Every traffic stop involves some risk because it is, obviously, done in traffic.

Want to have a good relations stunt? Do a toys for tots sort of thing like the Marines or give out coffee and donuts in the parking lot, but don't pull over random people.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

Great story, but I expect to see that cops in smaller towns and cities are much nicer. Lowell, MI is a town of about 4,000 people (my estimate based on the 3,800 of 2010) and predominantly white - 94% as of 2010.

I can only hope what they did (are doing) spreads to other towns/cities. It doesn't have to be gifts, but something/anything the police of other municipalities can do to tell their citizens they don't view them as the enemy would be awesome.

link   

And all with a big camera pointing at them.

Your stance on this situation is part of why the police force has become what it is and thus the state of America.

Shame on you
shame on people for wanting more from their police force than an xbox.

link   
a reply to: Grovit

They could have "gifted" you with a ticket instead if that would make you happier.

link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

I see where your coming from, however, it's much better to see them involved in something like this that provides community relations.

I mean they could have spent the money otherwise. I would rather them shower people with gifts as opposed to let's say, pepper spray, tazers, ect...

So if they want to build relationships within the community, and they believed this was a good step, then let it be.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join