It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lowell police surprise drivers with Christmas gifts

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedal
a reply to: Woodcarver

I see where your coming from, however, it's much better to see them involved in something like this that provides community relations.

I mean they could have spent the money otherwise. I would rather them shower people with gifts as opposed to let's say, pepper spray, tazers, ect...

So if they want to build relationships within the community, and they believed this was a good step, then let it be.

Well yeah, I see your point, but a good idea executed poorly is what I see with pulling people over on the road like some of the images on the video. Approaching them in the parking lot when they are not moving like also like they did in the video at the source is a better idea.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
a reply to: Trueman

Yes I am an officer.

Contrary to popular belief (especially on ATS) police departments have participated in programs like this for decades.

Glad to have first hand info.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: liteonit6969

MY stance? Lol. You mean my stance of not being predisposed to assume that all law enforcement is horrible and that maybe, just maybe, they were trying to do something nice for people? That maybe the "shop with a cop" program, which rarely makes the news, is actually about community engagement?

Yes, shame on me indeed for not being such an utterly cynical, jaded, and angry person that I don't automatically assume the worst about people I've never met and see conspiracies behind every act committed by anybody other than myself. Then again, maybe I'm in on the conspiracy and just don't realize it? Crap....

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
It's a nice idea....

But the holidays are stressful already, I'd be very upset to be pulled over for not doing anything illegal. Sure, something for free is nice -- but I may have to be someplace/somewhere.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
It's a nice idea....

But the holidays are stressful already, I'd be very upset to be pulled over for not doing anything illegal. Sure, something for free is nice -- but I may have to be someplace/somewhere.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this.

I agree with you. Which is why I'm not condemning the attempt, just that I think it's a good idea poorly executed.

There was an instance, not so far back, where a metropolitan police force was pulling over people in traffic for good driving to give them "good driver" certificates and a coupon for a snack or something. I can appreciate what they were trying to do and what message they were trying to convey--be a good driver--but I don't think it was smart nor safe to do unnecessary stops, with lights flashing, in the middle of busy streets.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: liteonit6969

Good and star for you.

I also volunteer a lot of my time as a police officer to help my community.

I, just like other officers DO NOT get paid to participate in programs like shop with a cop, tip a cop, law enforcement torch run, etc.

So please don't assume that we all get paid to participate in such programs.

I also have a family and other responsibilities and limitations that I have to contend with while volunteering my time. I still sacrifice and make it happen though.

It just sucks to know that people dismiss the good things that a lot of police officers do just because they are police officers.

I think that qualifies as being prejudice.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

It's different, bc its cops. How many times do we have to discuss this man?!?

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

You are right.

I keep forgetting that we are less than human (pigs) and it is okay to judge each of us who are individuals, by the actions of others.

Even if those "bad apples" are a thousand miles away, working in another state that we have no jurisdiction in, we are still responsible for their actions.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

And Orks. Don't forget that one. Hadn't heard it till today. Pigs and Orks.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
no bash from me. i just think that pulling people over and duping them into staying to wait for a gift is just not a cool way to do it.
whats wrong with setting up a booth at the mall or something?
know what i mean?

not everyone wants to play these games when they have # to do.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

I do agree that they shouldn't just pull people over to hand them gifts.

Traffic stops should be done after a violation is witnessed.

Perhaps a consensual encounter with people walking would of been a better choice or of course as you stated some sort of booth.

That being said a positive thing is a positive thing.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

yeah, a choice would be nice.
thats all im saying.

i dont want to be duped into sitting there for 20 minutes when i have stuff to do. the whole time thinking i am being made to stay there cause a ticket is coming, only to get a gift i dont want...
yeah, that would have pissed me off.

i see the good intention behind it. just think the execution was bad.
im not really into it

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I apologise if i come across angry or prejudice against the cops as people. I am angry at the system so was saying this is basically a set up program from those above to improve the image of the police. But i agree with what u say and i like alot of people forget that behind the uniform are PEOPLE with likes and dislikes, loved ones, stress' and everything that makes us human.

The world is in a situation much like those in the police force. Good police officers see corruption and wrong doings but what are they to do? stand up and point fingers which will risk their careers and the lives of those they are responsible for. This is very much like those on the streets who see the way the government is treating the mass yet everyone is looking for someone else to make the first move to stop what is wrong, the fear of being the first to take that leap could result in jail or other punishments.

I respect you as a human for everything you do to protect not only ur loved ones but also the people of your community, and even more so to turn away from corruption or wrongdoings in your everyday job.If everyone tried to approach life and the jobs as you do then the world would be on its way to being better. People should remember as human beings with emotions that police officers sometimes allow their private emotions control their decision making. This is the same in every job, but is magnified by 100 since it is under the spotlight.

Stay safe during the Holiday season and i hope u enjoy the Holidays with your family. These are the days that make those memories that you dont need a camera for.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig

You are right.

I keep forgetting that we are less than human (pigs) and it is okay to judge each of us who are individuals, by the actions of others.

Even if those "bad apples" are a thousand miles away, working in another state that we have no jurisdiction in, we are still responsible for their actions.

I don't care if you are a model police officer. Your not a good cop until you have arrested a bad cop. The good cops are outnumbered, so you should have at least a couple under your belt by now. If not, you are not a "good enough cop"I don't know you. If you pulled me over, i should not have to assume you are a good cop. You do realise thats where we are now? Right?

You and others can blame the media, and i know they like to fan the flames, but your side does give them a lot to work with. There is another thread that has just popped up about cops being called out as agent provocateurs. I am also upset at these cops for not doing what cops are supposed to be doing. I would just like to see them doing the job we want them to do. When they get that right? They won't need to be so worried about their image. That is my point.

When they turn "getting pulled over" into "candid camera", and a publicity stunt, i am highly suspicious of their intent. Get it?

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit

originally posted by: Daedal
a reply to: Grovit

Bah humbug.

yeah whatever man.
i dont need to be part of their little gift giving extravanganza.
not everyone is into christmas you know.
i should be allowed to travel. i dont like the idea of being duped into sitting their so they can get me a gift.
i hate getting gifts. it makes me very nervous and anxious opening them in front of people and i dont like it.
i just want to be left alone.

i want them in my life if i call them or i need their help. other than that i dont need or want them in my life.
dont need to be a part of their community hug fest
You're a mean one Mr. Grinch.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: proob4

you also wouldnt like me when im angry

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Cool man. Pretty sure that other thread is talking about California right? Oakland and California Highway Patrol right?

So why is it that you paint an officer in oh let's say Bangor, Maine with the same brush you apply to the two CHP who got called out? Why does what one person does or doesn't do paint the entirety of the group?

I don't know you from Adam. Don't know a thing about you. But there's this guy in my town that likes to carve wood. He's an alcoholic. And smokes massive amounts of the green leaf. And doesn't have a job. And is way behind on his child support. Hey wait a sec, your name is woodcarver. I guess that means you're just like him huh?

Oh, and some of us have arrested other cops. Whether it goes anywhere after that is out of our hands. But not all of us think we're judge, jury, and executioner. Sorry bout that

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

i know adam
he's a major prick

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit

i know adam
he's a major prick

I've only heard rumors man...

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Well first thing. Cops have a recorded history of lying on official reports for their fellow officers.

your comparing a stereotype of craftsman not being reliable, to the endemic problem we see when police are allowed to police themselves. And then get caught lying and committing crimes, abusing and illegally detaining people, raping and murdering, filing false reports to protect themselves, and rarely ever being punished. I am not referring to the times when they are falsely accused. We can just focus on the ones who are actually bad cops. There are plenty.

Your argument is weak.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join