It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lowell police surprise drivers with Christmas gifts

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

With that train of thought I guess you would be okay with a police officer looking at you and wondering if you were "good" right?

How does the officer know your not a criminal? How does he know you're not going to shoot him?

I mean since there are citizens that are criminals, there are no good citizens right? That is just how it works right?

I don't know how your statement, "As long as there are bad cops around. There are no good cops. Period. That is just how that works," was in reference to another statement when it was in the first post you made in this thread.

How could a statement like that be taken any other way, especially when it is in your initial post?

You also state, "Your not a good cop until you have arrested a bad cop."

Our rebuttal was what if you haven't witnessed a fellow officer commit a crime.

In your eyes he would automatically be a bad officer even though he had not witnessed anything to make an arrest for. That isn't fair and doesn't make sense.

That is why we referenced crossing state lines to arrest a bad cop.

How else would a good cop arrest a bad cop if they never witnessed any of their coworkers committing a crime?

edit on 13-12-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Not enough of OUR LEO's have the powers of empathy. I very rarely see any one within LE or the justice system display the ability to put themselves in the shoes of those that they rule over.

You in fact told me what my thinking was to be. How am I to respect those that I pay their salaries and yield to when they tell me what my thinking is.

I honestly get a great deal out of my conversations with LEO's. I have a better feel for the type of officer Torguey is through those exchanges, and I can say that his point of view has been valuable in that understanding of LE in general.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Witness2008

You are assuming this was filmed as propaganda.

You are assuming this officer is demanding respect and not earning it.

I am assuming you're wrong.

Subjective relativism I guess.
edit on 13-12-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

From my point of view, it appears to be, given the atmosphere in our country right now. You may be right and the department was simply using this act and video to spread cheer. I suppose the underlying question in my mind is how this decision was made considering the nation wide suspicions of LE.

Perhaps the officers really enjoyed and got a great deal from surprising folks with good cheer, but then I doubt the plan was created at their level of office.

I am somewhat of a purist when it comes to government offices, the highest of standards only.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Okay we'll paint it however makes you feel best. You expressed your opinion and your belief. I respect them as your opinion and your belief. I think they're ludicrous and misanthropic. That's also an opinion. I do not share them, beyond agreeing that this was a pretty poor way of going about engaging this department's community.

How you're getting that I told you what to think, what you think, or how to think by simply disagreeing with you and voicing an opinion that doesn't mirror yours, I don't know. My opinion is just that: my opinion.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

I definitely understand holding police to a higher standard.

That being said it is important to remember that every police officer is a unique individual.

A unique human being that comes in all shapes and sizes, each whom also have their own moral compass.

You will never have 100% perfection. It is not possible when dealing with the human element.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I hope the citizens of Lowell feel safer knowing their police officers are busy buying Christmas presents on the city's dime. Some cop pulls me over and starts asking about my shopping habits is going to get met with me loudly stating that I am invoking my right to remain silent, and will only speak again to ask if I am under arrest or free to go.

The police are not your friends. Don't let them buy your affection with cheap # from China.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

I don't understand why everyone wants to down cops but when they actually do something good....well, they still get hostility.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
My grandma used to live in Lowell, and my mom for a time, too. They say this is about what they expect for the cops in Lowell, it's a warm, welcoming little town (their words) I'll take their word for it, they lived there & know the community feel.

As to the posters pulling the Grinch Maneuver, are you done blowing hot air yet? Jesus, you people bitch and moan when the cops do something crappy on the tax dime, and you bitch and moan when they do good (assuming this wasn't funded by FUNDRAISERS that are held to fund the PD outreach programs) Stuff a sock in it & have a rotten holidays by yourselves, this was a kind gesture & I appreciate that they even considered doing it in the first place.
edit on 12/13/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
I saw this on the news today... I was surprised. Not because police were doing this, but because it actually got coverage.

I agree. Great job on their part.

It is nice to see a story that isn't trying to fan the flames of hate and division like so many are doing as of late.

Yeah, I would have to disagree. The officers are using their power to stop drivers inappropriately. I do NOT want to be stopped I don't care what their intent it, it's wrong to stop people under false pretenses, or under color of law. Who the hell do they think they are?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Yes according to the law. What they are doing is a felony.

a reply to: Maverick7

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
I saw this on the news today... I was surprised. Not because police were doing this, but because it actually got coverage.

I agree. Great job on their part.

It is nice to see a story that isn't trying to fan the flames of hate and division like so many are doing as of late.

I live in Lowell and I will say that our PD is great to begin with - we have very little crime in this small country town.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: wilhelmina

Well there you go woodcarver. Here's your chance to convince an actual resident of Lowell that his police department only did this for propaganda and that they wasted his tax dollars to do it and that he should be outraged they abused their power in such a horrible way. Heck, maybe you can even help him start a grassroots campaign to get these evil oppressors shown the door. The possibilities are endless!

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

When I see videos like this, I smile. You'd have to be a monster not to. Very good charitable thing they are doing, but I can't help but notice (from the news clip only, as I didn't see EVERY vehicle they pulled over I can't say this accurately) that the people they pulled over didn't really look like they needed the help monetarily. Nice vehicles, etc. So, I hope that they at least spread this around and helped those that were less fortunate rather than only those who can afford to drive around and Christmas shop on that particular day.

I also wonder if people from other countries see this stuff and wonder what is going on with our countries police force. One minute we're strangling and shooting unarmed citizens (notice that I don't mention race, which to me isn't the issue) and the next we're pumping out news articles of charitable cops. I hope THIS trend continues and the other declines, but that's me.

Maybe I'm just jealous I didn't get an X-Box One....

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join