It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lowell police surprise drivers with Christmas gifts

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Actually didn't even know there was a "craftsman stereotype" to begin with.

Some cops may have a history of that. I don't. Torq doesn't. I know I've arrested officers, can't speak for him.

My argument isn't weak, you just don't like it.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

adam is a craftsman.
know what i mean

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Actually didn't even know there was a "craftsman stereotype" to begin with.

let me take a crack. when i think of a wood carver i think

76 years old
yellowed denim overalls
sitting in a haggard rocking chair on the front porch of a 'house' with a tun roof
mason jar full o shine beside him
mouth full of skoal, long cut straight
fle infested coon hound basting in the sun with nary a drop of water in sight
a spittoon next to the flea bag dog for the skoal, long cut straight
widdling a statue of a sailboat with his 137 year old buck knife

something like that comes to mind.....

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

So what if a "good" cop never witnesses another cop committing a crime? He is still bad. Wow that seems fair.

Also you do realize that cops only have jurisdiction in the cities they work in right? We can't arrest someone in a neighboring city let alone a different state.

Here is a little gem from my own department.

newsone.com...

We received the complaint, investigated it, and made the arrest before the media even knew what happened. Matter of fact we self reported the incident to the media.

I considered this officer a friend yet still did my job as did the other officers involved in the investigation.

So you can go ahead and take your "cops don't arrest other cops" meme and well I don't want to violate T&C's.

Here are some more examples of "cops not arresting other cops." (I miss the rolling eyes emoticon)

www.wsvn.com...

www.tcpalm.com...

www.myfoxdfw.com...

www.okcfox.com...

I can post more too but don't let the facts stop you from spewing your blanket hate...

edit on 12-12-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-12-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig

So what if a "good" cop never witnesses another cop committing a crime? He is still bad. Wow that seems fair.

Also you do realize that cops only have jurisdiction in the cities they work in right? We can't arrest someone in a neighboring city let alone a different state.

I will say it again. My argument is not that all cops are bad. Or that i hate all cops. So dont bring that strawman into this discussion. I said it earlier.

Here is a little gem from my own department.

newsone.com...

We received the complaint, investigated it, and made the arrest before the media even knew what happened. Matter of fact we self reported the incident to the media.
yes. We know that cops get arrested sometimes. And those stories sometimes make it into the news. Especially if that department needs an image boost to win over a few more hearts.

For every instance/article of an officer being arrested you can bring here. I can match it with one where the officer gets an easy sentence or just gets away scott clean or not even charged with a crime because of the protection that they recieve.

You could be strikingly honest and tell us how many officers youve seen or helped cover up a crime, or committing perjury, or covering for a buddy in a report or testimony. Have you ever witnessed such acts and not reported them?

I considered this officer a friend yet still did my job as did the other officers involved in the investigation.

Kudos to you.

So you can go ahead and take your "cops don't arrest other cops" meme and well I don't want to violate T&C's.

Nice language officer. A not so veiled insult/threat. Can't you keep the peace?

Here are some more examples of "cops not arresting other cops." (I miss the rolling eyes emoticon)

www.wsvn.com...

www.tcpalm.com...

www.myfoxdfw.com...

www.okcfox.com...

I can post more too but don't let the facts stop you from spewing your blanket hate...

I am not spewing hate. I am pointing out an pattern that is actually quite well documented.

I never said that cops never arrest cops. This is a strawman argument you are presenting here. What i am saying, is that cops, very often recieve special treatment, because they are allowed to police themselves.

edit on 13-12-2014 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Actually what you said was that you're not a good cop unless you've arrested a bad cop.

Sorry, but I don't think Torq and I can get all of them

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

When you cut through the pretentiousness, what you get is a good example of just another angle of how we are disrespected by authorities. To make their point of love and kindness, they pull folks over, probably causing some type of stressful feelings, make the drivers use their time, and then charge us for their acts of kindness. Those were tax payer gifts, not the cops.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Actually what you said was that you're not a good cop unless you've arrested a bad cop.

Sorry, but I don't think Torq and I can get all of them
I will stand by that remark. I think it is a bar that every officer should reach and strive for. That would certainly show that that they respect the office and will not cow to subversive pressure.

I see nothing wrong with that statement at all.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
heheh, police give gift and then ask the car driver if he had a receipt. no?

ARREST!!!!

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

The problem with your statement is that you presume every officer has been presented with the opportunity to arrest a bad officer and made that choice. Is a deputy 2 months out of the academy on a sheriff's office that has a grand total of 11 sworn personnel a bad cop because he hasn't arrested a cop yet? Hardly.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Witness2008

Unless you have some sort of proof that these gifts were purchased through taxpayer funds, I'll encourage you to actually read through the multiple posts that have already addressed this particularly angle.

As for the pulling people over to give them gifts, it's been repeated several times that it wasn't the best way to do this.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

My point was that we the citizens subsidized with our money and time theses supposed acts of kindness. It is a given that this whole thing was not well thought out. I think it is the onus of the police to show who paid for this.

Perhaps we should raise the bar on this conversation and discuss the fact that we as citizens, and especially all of those good cops should be insisting upon placing only the brightest and most ethical of us in charge of us. This act of kindness was placed into action by the dullest of authority, well meaning or not.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

So....donations to charitable funds and benevolent organizations shouldn't be used for things like this? Or just not without permission from the citizens, who may or may not have donated any money in the first place?

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Tax payers should always be consulted as to where their hard earned dollars are going. Your post is just another example of the nonchalant attitude toward those that you and others have been charged to serve and protect.

We are expected to simply see the kindness, and never consider the the lack of thinking, or god forbid, the motive. We are not the mindless herd you may want us to be.

Charity should only be an individual choice.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I've only seen an officer commit a crime on one occassion and we made the arrest.

I was just going to tell you to shove the "cops don't arrest other cops" meme where the sun doesn't shine.

No threat in a statement like that.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Ennnnhhhhh. You're confusing taxpayers with charity. If person A gives me a donation and person B does not, person B really has no right or reason to demand anything at all. Period. Person A does. Just because person B pays taxes has no bearing on it.

Were tax money being used, then I would agree. I think it's highly unlikely, as in extremely unlikely, they used tax money to fund this program. God forbid any of the companies involved donate anything, either. They'd have some serious 'splainin to do to all those taxpayers about having the audacity to donate goods without taxpayer consent.

It's not nonchalance dude. It's thinking that unless you donate to a charity, you don't really have any reason to dictate to that charity what it can and can't do.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig

I've only seen an officer commit a crime on one occassion and we made the arrest.

I was just going to tell you to shove the "cops don't arrest other cops" meme where the sun doesn't shine.

No threat in a statement like that.

It is definately an insult. Which is what i said it was. Which you conveniently skipped. Strawman.

You do realise that police do cover for their buddies right? This is pretty common knowledge.

www.washingtontimes.com...

www.policemisconduct.net...

www.foxnews.com...

www.washingtonpost.com...

I mean. You do read the news right? I found these gems in literally just a few minutes. You would really have to spend a considerable amount of work to avoid hearing about this right?

There are a lot of bad cops around.

What are you doing about it?

How can you have only ever seen it once?

Do you police a tiny little mayberry type town?

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Ennnnhhhhh. You're confusing taxpayers with charity. If person A gives me a donation and person B does not, person B really has no right or reason to demand anything at all. Period. Person A does. Just because person B pays taxes has no bearing on it.

Were tax money being used, then I would agree. I think it's highly unlikely, as in extremely unlikely, they used tax money to fund this program. God forbid any of the companies involved donate anything, either. They'd have some serious 'splainin to do to all those taxpayers about having the audacity to donate goods without taxpayer consent.

It's not nonchalance dude. It's thinking that unless you donate to a charity, you don't really have any reason to dictate to that charity what it can and can't do.
If they are using their cruisers then they are using taxpayers money. Period.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Lol okay man. Grab whatever tiny little straw makes you feel more righteous about hating law enforcement.

Maybe you can get your town council to require an apology letter be sent to all taxpayers every time an officer uses his cruiser to get to a place to eat, or when he stops somewhere to use a restroom, or when he pops in somewhere to talk to a gas station attendent in the middle of the night so he feels a little safer. It's a good idea, you should probably do that.

posted on Dec, 13 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Oh yeah I definitely meant it as an insult. No threat though. Glad we got that cleared up.

I am absolutely aware that there are bad police. Never said there wasn't.

I patrol a city with a population of 80,000 to 100,000 people. Depends on the season (Snowbirds).

I only have jurisdiction in that city.

I cannot arrest anyone, even an officer outside of my jurisdiction.

I do my part to take down the bad police and at the same time help my community.

What do you do to help your community?
edit on 13-12-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join