It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sikh student allowed to bring religous sword to school

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

No no I think that's backwards I think its a weapons issue not a religious issue.

does the school have a zero tolerance policy concerning weapons?

and in most cases a cross is usually worn as a necklace and that' more falls into jewelry

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Look at the stats: America resembles a poor country by CJ Werleman, Alternet

Last week, President Obama gave one of the most important speeches of his presidency when he spoke about the rapidly growing deficit of opportunity in this country. It was the president’s most focused and deliberate address on income inequality to date, but for many it wasn’t nearly alarmist enough, for it didn’t recognize how far this nation has fallen. It’s time we call it what it is: we’ve become a third-world nation.

America has become a RINO: rich in name only. By every measure, we look like a broken banana republic. Not a single U.S. city is included in the world’s top 10 most livable cities. Only one U.S. airport makes the list of the top 100 in the world. Our roads, schools and bridges are falling apart, and our trains—none of them high-speed—are running off their tracks. Our high school students are rated 30th in math, and some 30 countries have longer life expectancy and lower rates of infant mortality. The only things America is number one in these days are the number of incarcerated citizens per capita and adult onset diabetes.

Three decades of trickledown economics; the monopolization, privatization and deregulation of industry; and the destruction of labor protection has resulted in 50 million Americans living in abject poverty, while 400 individuals own more than one-half of the nation’s wealth. As the four Walmart heirs enjoy a higher net worth than the bottom 40 percent, our nation’s sense of food insecurity is more on par with developing countries like Indonesia and Tanzania than with OECD nations like Australia and Canada. In fact, the percentage of Americans who say they could not afford the food needed to feed their families at some point in the last year is three times that of Germany, more than twice than Italy and Canada. The destruction of labor has been so comprehensive that first-world nations now offshore their jobs to the U.S. In other words, we’ve become the new India.

www.salon.com...

anyway, america aside, if sikhs can wear ceremonial daggers, so can everybody else. right???
well no, not really. this is just a blunder on the part of the government for even getting involved in those topics. just have one standard regarding policy and leave it at that. don't fiddle with it, don't use it to manipulate society. leave it alone. it was fine, just 2 decades ago to wear a crucifix or a pentagram to school. now someone's in there fiddling with it, tampering with public sentiment.
edit on 30-10-2014 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hellzwulf
Just as a matter of note - the Kirpan carried day to day by a Sihk is far from a sword- its a unsharpened knife and a small one at that.

In most cases , the person would have a better weapon in the form of a pencil or pen. Most young children that carry a Kirpan also have the blade locked into the sheath by 2 screws making it impossible to unsheathe without a lot of time and preparation. This is specifically done to teach that the action of drawing a weapon should never be done quickly , as drawing the blade without good reason is akin to blasphemy in Judaic religions.

well in that case I wonder would it be okay for a student to bring a ceremonial gun to school that can't be fired that isn't loaded??

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
im so tired of religion in general.....ALL of them.

all of them and all of their bull#.

it would be a great day if one day we could all wake up and have religion be gone......poof you know...

all the rules they have to abide by...this sikh kid and the 5 things he HAS to wear.

i would think a normal person with a normal brain would think "hey...im a sikh...but this is school and its not allowed..so, i will just remove it until i get home and then it goes right back on"

nope....religion does not allow for rational thinking....

freedom of religion....freedom of religious expression...

i want to do somewhere where there is freedom from religion.

i have always felt that religion divides people...this is just another tiny example..

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: undo

I REALLY agree with some of your posts in this thread.

A few years ago, people could express who they were - wear a cross, a yarmulke, a T-shirt that says "Allahu Akbar" or "ATHEIST", I don't care. Why do people think what someone else is wearing is ANY of their business?

Something has happened that has changed the fabric of our country (9/11 maybe?). In the 80s, a kid carrying a pocket knife to school was, 99% of the time, a totally innocent thing. There was an outline in his jeans where it fit in his pocket because he carried it. Not to hurt anyone or anything, but in case he needed it for something. I used to carry one in my purse.

But something has changed. It's not an innocent gesture 99% of the time like it used to be. Too many kids who carry knives do so for protection, to hurt someone, or to show off or intimidate someone. The fear has taken over and even our kids have lost their innocence. Some have the mindset that if a girl breaks up with you, the thing to do is to take a gun and kill her and a few of her friends.

The 'authorities', whether it be government or the school board, are entirely too involved in our personal expression and everyday activities. The blanket laws and rules that the people are forced to live under make us more of a homogenous group than individuals. Ugh!

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a school is a place for learning...

when i was in school we couldnt have anything that was to distract us from school work..

couldnt have walkmans(the 80's) or toys, magazines, etc...nothing....

thats how it should be still.

a person, religious or not does not need to walk around with a dagger in his hip....
this is 2014....things change......just cause allah wore is dagger at the learning hut eons ago does not mean kids should be able to wear theirs at school....
i guess i just dont understand all this fanatical religious crap...

its pretty disgusting really.....

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

It's all stupid.

We need to go back to absolute freedom. I'm tired of feeling like we have to bend over for insecure, cowards. I, personally, do not care if someone's sense of "safety" is threatened. These people that are security-obsessed, and look for ways to force others to comply with their whining, are the scum-of-the Earth. We should not tolerate them.

If the Sikh wants to carry a sword, big deal. But, it should be the same for everyone.

They used to have shooting ranges at schools for sport, but then the soccer moms took over the United States.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: LewsTherinThelamon

They still have shooting ranges. A friend on fb posted a year book picture of her son. He had a shotgun breach open over his shoulder. In the trap and skeet team

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
a reply to: sdcigarpig

Totally agree. If we allow people to disobey the rules (or laws) in the name of "practicing their religion", we should do it for ALL religions.

I know this is an older topic but following the latter posts a little tardy. So is religion the basis for violating/ignoring/changing the rules here in the US? (wouldn't work in the ME, I GUARENTEE IT) Seriously, I am agreeing with you so just seeking an opinion. And imho, there should be a new religion, I touched upon it on another thread a bit jokingly, but I'm beginning to feel serious about a new religion. One that covers everything and is flexible so everyone can choose to live outside the laws.

This reality is becoming so surreal, it's difficult to exist in any form of normalcy.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join