It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sikh student allowed to bring religous sword to school

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: American-philosopher

I don't see an issue here at all.

If the schools can allow a cross or religious token or symbol to be worn by anyone then this should be allowed as well.

It's a religious issue.

Not a weapons issue.

i think its both..
the issue of the weapon had to be mentioned cause well, it is a weapon...

i am just baffled that people are ok with this....

wonder what they will say when someone gets sliced up...

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

The Kirpan is a short dagger which symbolizes a Sikh's duty to come to the defence of those in peril. All baptised Sikhs should wear a short form of Kirpan (approximately. 6" to 9" long) on their body at all times as a defensive side-arm, just as a police officer is expected to wear a public-defensive weapon when on duty. Its use is only allowed in the act of self-defense and the protection of others. It stands for bravery and protecting the weak and innocent.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6

6-9 inches is pretty good size....
it absolutely is a weapon.....
says right there to be worn as a defensive side arm

its a school. kids dont need to be carrying self defense weapons and that is exactly what this kirpan is.

what a bunch of #...

this wont be popular but im kind of hoping someone gets sliced up with this innocent little religious ITEM

thats right...

edit on 30-10-2014 by CardiffGiant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: undo

I should not have responded to what is often some US Christian's persecution and suffering complex and rabid misinfo regarding Islam as it's gonna derail the thread, it belongs elsewhere.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: skalla

Really, this guy should wear the badge pin version of the Kirpan, jewellery such as crosses should be allowed (are they really verboten across the whole US school system? You guys are nuts) and we should just get on with stuff without referring to Muslims all the time and having ludicrous notions like there is a worldwide conspiracy to eliminate Christians.

Humans, eh?

No. Christians can wear a necklace. Christians are equating wearing an object with being able to recite scripture in everyones faces unsolicited or hand out religious pamphlets.
edit on 30-10-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I assumed so, thanks

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I should not have responded to what is often some US Christian's persecution and suffering complex and rabid misinfo regarding Islam as it's gonna derail the thread, it belongs elsewhere.

hey, walk a mile in my shoes pal.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
yup.
maybe the kid should wear a daggar pendant or something.....much safer than an actual dagger.

its 2014.....im sure allah(who whoever they worship) will understand and allow him to wear the charm only while he is in school.
if thats not acceptable that his religion sucks like all the others

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Walk a mile in the shoes of a Muslim child in Syria, Iraq or Afghanistan and then realised you aint hard done by at all. First world problem and frankly selfish bleating.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Don't forget the kid that was suspended for chewing his PopTart in a shape of a gun.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Really, this guy should wear the badge pin version of the Kirpan, jewellery such as crosses should be allowed (are they really verboten across the whole US school system? You guys are nuts) and we should just get on with stuff without referring to Muslims all the time and having ludicrous notions like there is a worldwide conspiracy to eliminate Christians.

Humans, eh?

No. Christians can wear a necklace. Christians are equating wearing an object with being able to recite scripture in everyones faces unsolicited.

CoE school bans girl from wearing crucifix - but allows Sikh pupils to wear bangles

oddly, it's a catholic school.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Christians have no right to wear cross at work, says Government

www.telegraph.co.uk...

whole page of the ACLU defending religious expression of christians (sounds like the catholics are being picked on alot, even by their own schools. weird as crap. more social engineering meant to provoke reactions)

www.aclu.org...

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Walk a mile in the shoes of a Muslim child in Syria, Iraq or Afghanistan and then realised you aint hard done by at all. First world problem and frankly selfish bleating.

you don't know what the flip you are talking about.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Imagine some Christian kid dragging a basket of dead fish around school to feed the hungry

Or resurrecting bored Zombified medicated "student" ala Lazarus style

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

AMERICA is about is fairness and equal rights.

Unless you live in Libya, Afghanistan, Iraq, but I think I might be derailing the thread; then again it could be American Exceptionalism

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

AMERICA is about is fairness and equal rights.

Unless you live in Libya, Afghanistan, Iraq, but I think I might be derailing the thread; then again it could be American Exceptionalism

how many times do you have to be told that the usa isn't run by americans? holy freakin' toledo.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

the folks in charge are following some kind of mandate to exterminate christians from the planet

Well I dont know about exterminate. Being an ex christian it would be a said day if Christians weren't allowed to practice their faith. However I really am interested in thinking about what if for the next 1000 years the Earths dominate religion is Islam'?. But I guess then with an enemy gone they would create wars between Muslims. Or Rome may even create its third major religion to keep the populace sedated and in perpetual war.
edit on 30-10-2014 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: spelling

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Nope. This is where eastern religion and western culture meet and sorry, religion but you should lose this time. It's a weapon. Bottom line. About 10 years ago we had a Sikh lawyer come to the jail and kick up a stink that he couldn't wear his dagger. Tough. No weapons. He didn't get in until he ditched the blade.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

how many times do you have to be told that the usa isn't run by americans?

Wow...so i get it its run by the Bankers and Wall St or were you refering to someone else? Your response is very condescending. My response was to American-philosophers statement about Americas raison d'etre being about fairness. I dont see that in the real world. Care to enlighten me. I notice in a lot of your recent posts in other threads that you sound like you're having a hard week hard year. What gives...usually I respect your posts.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: undo

you don't know what the flip you are talking about.

And yet it was you who said

we shall see if the sikhs will defend the christians.

baited breath, i tell ya. pins and needles. cliff hanger

instead of actually looking into it you made a blanket assumption about a group of people about whom you clearly know sweet FA, when they have infact protected Christians in their homeland and fought and died in armies under the banner of the head of The Church of England for oooh about 200 years at a rough estimate.

And you are so persecuted too, in one of the richest and most powerful nations on earth with fundi Christian politicians looking out for you.

Your posts have been ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

how many times do you have to be told that the usa isn't run by americans?

Wow...so i get it its run by the Bankers and Wall St or were you refering to someone else? Your response is very condescending. My response was to American-philosophers statement about Americas raison d'etre being about fairness. I dont see that in the real world. Care to enlighten me. I notice in a lot of your recent posts in other threads that you sound like you're having a hard week hard year. What gives...usually I respect your posts.

hmm. you know, maybe you're right. it's probably alzheimzer's trying to sneak up on me. mom had it but she didn't get it, from what i recall, till she was in her late 70s. she lived to be 84. i'm not even 60 yet. but, i have a whole panoply of maladies. probably need to eat my wheaties.

yeah the usa is supposed to be a melting pot, with religious expression being part of that melting pot. i dunno. there's so many ways you can express yourself, religiously, that the idea all those ways could be fairly addressed while still living in a melting pot society, seems illogical. there has to be some give and take on that issue and asking for such hard coded traditions to be ditched, is rough. personally, i don't care if muslims wear abayas (i just don't want to wear one), or sikhs wear daggers, or catholics wear crosses, rosaries or crucifixes or pagans wear green men or witches wear pentagrams or atheists wear darwin, etc. what bothers me is the government getting all tangled up in it.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

sorry to say this but YOU STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FLIP YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join