It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sikh student allowed to bring religous sword to school

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
So sorry I know this story might be a little old but when I first heard it I was so angry. Here in Auburn Washington A school is allowing a student of the Sikh faith to bring a religious sword to school with him. In the times that we live in now where schools are suspended kids for chewing their pop tarts into a shape of a gun. and for holding a crayon and going pew! pew!. Were going to allow a kid to bring a sword to school?? what!

It is just unfathomable how we cater to every and any group in this country. We can't even follow the zany rules and standards that were setting. ( which by the way I don't agree with) You shouldn't even be able to suspend a kid who cant even pronounce the word suspended. ("I got suspdened from school")

I thought someone in the story had a great response that if the TSA would stop and not let you carry that how should it be allowed in our schools? (oh no what's the world coming to I am using the TSA as a good example)

www.king5.com/story/news/local/2014/10/22/sikh-kirpan

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

Links not working for me. Maybe ip issues. Im in the UK can you quote the article for us? Cheers.
edit on 29-10-2014 by funkadeliaaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

We had the same issue here in Montreal about a decade ago. I'm all for religious tolerance and all that jazz but lets be honest. A sword is a weapon. Here in Montreal we reached a compromise. The kid was allowed to carry his sword but if he ever drew it on someone or whatever he'd face IMMEDIATE expulsion from the school. Also the blade had to be handed over for inspection at any given time and it had to be dull.

Just another case of double standards here in Canada. Lord knows if my religion called for me to carry an AK47 at any given time, they wouldn't of even given me the time of day.

"Political Correctness" at it's best.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I actually think that's pretty kick***

My religion requires me to carry a gun. This is so going to get me money.

But honestly, more power to him and his zany religion. Double standards though? Yeah... A little. I was expelled from school for having a two inch pocket knife. I was carving on the desk though. It didn't help that a kid made up a blatant lie saying I threatened to kill him when I told him to buzz off.

Also a sword in no way has to be sharp to kill someone. A lot of swords historically were never intended to be sharpened. A blunt sword works just fine for lopping off limbs and such. Just a little FYI.
edit on 29-10-2014 by nukedog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I think they're trying to respect religious freedom... But where does that begin and end? The laws (and Supreme court decisions) lately have made it unclear.

Many think a religious man should be permitted act outside the law and refuse service to someone because of his religious beliefs. So, why shouldn't this boy be permitted to act outside the school's "law" because of his religion?

I'm not agreeing with it, just trying to figure it out. It's hypocritical.

Student Allowed to Bring Religious Knife to School

originally posted by: American-philosopher
It is just unfathomable how we cater to every and any group in this country.

I'm not sure of any group we cater to besides religions.

I agree that the TSA wouldn't allow it... Why is the school, then? Sometimes the laws in this country don't make sense at all.
edit on 10/29/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: funkadeliaaaa

Links not working for me. Maybe ip issues. Im in the UK can you quote the article for us? Cheers.

AUBURN, Wash. -- Like all religions, the Sikh faith is steeped in tradition. One of the most revered is the carrying of a Kirpan, a sword or dagger, at all times.

"People will even wear it in the shower. It's kind of hard for others to understand," said Jaswinder Singh, spokesman for the Gurudwara Sikh Center of Seattle.

The concept of the Kirpan is taught to children at an early age. The dagger is considered an instrument of social justice.

"For the people who are formally initiated to the Kirpan, it's very near and dear," said Singh.

But is it appropriate to bring to school?

A few weeks ago at Auburn's Gildo Rey Elementary, a Sikh family approached the school telling them their little boy would be carrying a Kirpan every day.

That didn't sit well with some.

One school volunteer named Shelby, who asked her last name not be used, said respecting religion goes too far if it compromises student safety.

"There's no way I'd go back until the knife was gone," she said.

Shelby does not volunteer at Gildo Rey.

"They can't take that thing into the airport. TSA would be all over it. Why is a school any different?" she asked.

District administrators are citing state and federal guidelines that allow certain exceptions to Washington's "zero tolerance" for weapons policy.

They say there are plenty of Sikhs, both students and staff, who have carried Kirpans to school for years without incident.

In this case, the knife is to be kept under the child's clothes at all times.

"The knife can't come out. It can't be shown around. It needs to be underneath their clothing," said Auburn Assistant Superintendent of Schools Ryan Foster. "That allows them to express their religion without jeopardizing anyone's feeling of safety. If there are any problems, we will take it to the family, but we don't expect any

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TheMainEvent

well no I don't no about Montreal or what kind of laws are up there.

But we have ZERO tolerance policy.

or were supposed to have ZERO tolerance policy for weapons. meaning to me no compromise no weapons.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I'm divided on this. I'm happy he's secured his right to express and practice his religion. But they are weapons. Cases like this are very difficult because it's not only a double standard, it affects religious beliefs and the freedom to express them.

Personal freedom and the right to express one's beliefs carries a great responsibility, I hope this kid is able to exercise proper judgement and common sense as well. S + F

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

NO like if its that important why can;pt the child keep his religious beliefs and be home schooled?

Am I a monster for suggesting that?? if its that important to the parents he should be home schooled.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The thing is tiny and hardly a weapon anymore than a fork at lunch is. It seems they have been doing this for years and it has never been a problem. Sikhs are hard for people to understand because they are not and old testiment religion like Judaism, Christianity and Islam. If this has not been an issue before then why would we suddenly try and make it one?

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

I've actually heard from someone that a Sikh classmate had to meet with the principal or school board and successfully argued his case that it's a religious right. This has happened before, I'm gathering many don't want or need the exposure.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
The thing is tiny and hardly a weapon anymore than a fork at lunch is. It seems they have been doing this for years and it has never been a problem.

Agreed. And the parents approached the school to inform them beforehand. It's not the same at all as a 13-year-old showing up at school with an AK-47. I'm pretty sure the parents would not permit that.

If this has not been an issue before then why would we suddenly try and make it one?

Again, I agree, but some of the gun rights crowd are incensed at how ridiculous the school rules are about other "weapon"-related incidents, like making the shape of a gun in your bologna sandwich can get you suspended... LOL

THAT'S what needs to change. Of course, no weapons at school, but an exception could be made for religious expression (and no, you can't bring your gun because your religion says so). But these stupid cases where a pop-tart and pointing your finger can get you expelled need to stop. They've gone WAY overboard!

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
OK, so no prayer at school, no specific references to which Judea/Christian/Muslim Abrahamic sect for the Holidays but by all means....

bring your Sword.

Cool, Kind of reminds me of growing up in Los Angeles, We the public weren't allowed to have or purchase fireworks to celebrate the 4th but in Chinatown, come their 'New Years" all fireworks hell breaks loose.

edit on 29-10-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

I am only seeing this as an issue because of other stories where kids are being punished or excluded from class for sill reasons as drawing a gun or imitating a gun sound. and then you actually have a story with a child with a weapon of some kind.

I may I Have seen stories where I think school districts are being overly safe and not letting kids be kids.

and then if you really want to talk religion and things like that.

should separation of church and state come into play.

what does zero tolerance mean then. I don't know

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
You can carry rifles at some public schools even today. Back in the day it was common. People are just too sensitive sometimes.

I love how someone calls themselves an American philosopher and in the same breath advocates quashing religious freedom in the name of banishing weapons from school.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Exactly. It's a double standard and we're told to smile and keep our mouths shut.

I'm happy he's allowed to bring them. But other religions are forbidden (if not completely, they create the conditions where one would feel dumb or insensitive for expressing them) while some are given free passes (though skirmishes like this exist).

A total double standard. I'm waiting for someone to say Christians shouldn't make a fuss because Jesus said to turn the other cheek

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Imagine some Christian kid dragging a basket of dead fish around school to feed the hungry.

It's what Jesus did!

Yeah like that would go over well.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
OK, so no prayer at school,

People can pray in school. This kid is carrying it privately. He's not brandishing it or anything. He can't even get it out. Kind of like praying. It's OK as long as you keep it to yourself.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Those should be the same rules and standards used regarding a 'Pocket Knife' but they aren't.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
It doesn't matter if it's religious or not. Religion and school don't mix. And here at the end of the day, it's a weapon. It doesn't matter if it's hidden under clothing or not. And yes, when:

an 8 year old gets suspended for making a gun shape out of his food, or a child is suspended for:

Mar 4, 2014 - A Columbus principal suspended a student for three days last week ... on the North Side for wielding a gun he had drawn on paper and cut out.

Oct 21 2007 - A second-grader's drawing of a stick figure shooting a gun earned him a one-day school suspension.

Aug 23, 2007 - 13-Year-Old Suspended For Doodling Gun - CBS News

and finally:

Aug 20, 2014 - Student Suspended for Saying “Bless You” After Classmate sneezed.

Zero tolerance means ZERO. I JUST CAN'T STAND IT.

This is me screaming out of pure frustration.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join