It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creationism Will be the End of Cristianity.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArtemisE
a reply to: Agree2Disagree

Do you really think there's any science that would cause a major change in Christianity?

I absolutely do.

The self titled "christians" who completely ignore basic scientific principles aren't really the majority. I've had the priviledge to speak to a large number of Christians throughout the US and very few completely ignore these basics.

The most recent poll I can find asks "Which comes closer to your view? Humans and other living things have evolved over time. OR, Humans and other living things have existed in their present form since the beginning of time"
And a whopping 60% agree with evolution while only 33% believe the latter...

Even gallup polls from the 80's up til today can demonstrate this(the numbers have been rather consistent considering the 20+ year gap). While around (avg)44% believe that God created human beings in their present form sometime in the last 10,000 years....nearly 50% believe that either humans beings evolved as a guided process from the Creator, or that they evolved entirely void of a Creator...(conservative estimates)

But...it's all somewhat contentious because based on wordings, you get varying results...

The National Science board had a survey that noted about 46% of the American public agree that... “Human beings, as we know them today, developed from earlier species of animals.”

And in 2009 a survey published by Reports of NCSE found that 18% agreed that “the earth is less than 10,000 years old.” But also found that 39% agreed “God created the universe, the earth, the sun, moon, stars, plants, animals, and the first two people within the past 10,000 years........Which goes to show context and wording play a huge role in these questionnaires and surveys....

Surveys concerning continental drift have been conducted as well, and it's worth mentioning that a staggering 80%, YES, EIGHTY PERCENT...agree that “The continents on which we live have been moving their locations for millions of years and will continue to move in the future.” This leaves solid young earth creation believers at a maximum of 20%...(In similar scientific surveys conducted by NCSE, more people thought all radioactivity came from human activities than those that believe continental drift happens rapidly...)

source

A2D

edit to add: found this one interesting..."Do you believe that it is possible or not possible to believe in both God and evolution?"
an average of 64% said they were compatible beliefs....Now I don't feel alone anymore.

edit on 16-6-2014 by Agree2Disagree because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnFisher
a reply to: GetHyped

Creationists are a good target for those who are arrogant enough to think anything under our scope of comprehension can conceivably exist without some kind of creator. The majority of the world believes in creation. We don't all agree on who that creator is. In Christianity there is only creationism. We have old-earth and young-earth creationists, and you have many more like myself who don't care about the specifics. I figure we are kidding ourselves if we think we can grasp the fullness of creation and time. a day to God is like 1000 years to man (not literally; more of a gist). In any case, in my opinion, carry on with the research evolutionists because all you're doing for this guy is providing "in your face" evidence of the workings of a creator. In reality, your science simply reaffirms my faith in God.

yes, it's like an easter egg hunt, with an infinite amount of hidden eggs.

science is the child and finds the eggs that were left by God. lol.
when i hear of a new breakthrough or discovery, i say good, keep it up!
science thinks it's a HUGE deal and high fives all around.

wooo hooo!

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnFisher
a reply to: AfterInfinity

That's fine. I don't need to be remembered here on Earth. But what I'm having trouble understanding is why some people are so cynical. What a miserable existence to view the world (& life) in that way. I'm sorry, friend, that you cannot see what is right in front of our eyes. I'm sorry that your perception on life is so bleak. I'm not so concerned over your hostility because I've been taught that I'll suffer for my faith. I've been taught that people will mock me because of it, and that's fine. You can respond in any way you wish, e.g., hateful, pitiful, etc, but you can't change that I love you friend. I won't reply to any further responses because it may lead to an escalated, emotion-based response. But regardless of whether you want it, my prayers will be with you. Enjoy your day.

You don't need a god to not have a "bleak" view of the world. Most scientists are atheists and they all are amazed by the universe! Only those who need an invisible child's blanket to be ok with themselves and there world need a god to be happy.

i don't believe that "most" scientists are atheists.

is there a list somewhere that i can check out?

were there scientists before atheists?

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsingtao

i don't believe that "most" scientists are atheists.

is there a list somewhere that i can check out?

were there scientists before atheists?

Depends what branch of science they work in.... Most biologists are atheists....go figure.

Actually let me rephrase that...Most biologists are in direct disagreement with any beliefs posed by any major religion....
A2D
edit on 16-6-2014 by Agree2Disagree because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Barcs

As far as the New Testament is concerned, academically, it is solid. It is a real collection of witness accounts of the events that took place (the gospel books and acts). This much is fairly indisputable. The question isn't the legitimacy of the manuscripts; the question is, does one believe the witness accounts? I do.

The Old Testament is a different ballgame in which I am largely unfamiliar. I do know that it isn't all literal. It is a collection of historical records, poetry, parables, and song. From what I understand it is a mixture of things literal and imaginative (with a purpose).

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped
a reply to: Xtrozero

Why is it BS?

Because the poll ask a question like, do you believe that God created man in he present form in the last 10,000 years?

If I say no then I would basically be saying that I do not believe God created man, so 42% said yes just due to the fact that the question asked if God created man or not.

The funny part is I can scientifically show you that man in his present form is much different than man 30,000 years ago, so if one believes that God had a hand in man's creation then the timeline means little.

If you were to go back to that 42% and asked each one if they felt man was on earth much longer about 35% would also say yes....

edit on 16-6-2014 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Just being fair about it migo. We don't have to stretch the truth to make evolution work. That's just the way it is.
I'm not saying you were trying to bs. The facts are on our side so I try and stick to them.

Once again we want to debate the how when God is all about the why. No matter the "how" it would all be God's design to one with faith. A lot of polls are design for sensationalism and are asked in a way to support an agenda, and in this case the agenda is "look how ignorant religious people are".

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: tsingtao

85% of all living Nobel winning scientists in math and physics are atheist. Another 10% are agnostic and the last 5 make up the religions. If you count ken hamm as a scientist the numbers will vary. But when going by people actually working in a life or physics field it's no comparison.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

Let me guess...the proof is in the pudding...and you had pudding for dessert?

Your premise is...well....flawed...

Being atheist has nothing to do with winning a Nobel prize....nor does gender or race or sexual orientation....

Who cares what religion a scientist does or does not follow...No one should be discouraged from being a scientist....NO ONE. Science is quite literally FOR EVERYONE...

A2D

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
imho,

the young earth branch of such stuff is nonsense.

It's as . . . rational as . . .

'God created everything last Thursday to look like it was very ancient etc. etc. etc. '

There are ancient Chinese characters 7,000 years or older.

I'm a firm Creationist. But the young earth stuff is silly.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
what concerns me is the hidden or rather obfuscated data in ancient texts that are finally being uncovered, will get thrown out--like the proverbial baby with the bath water because of the current view of everything pre-dating the enlightenment being mythological.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   

a reply to: tsingtao

85% of all living Nobel winning scientists in math and physics are atheist. Another 10% are agnostic and the last 5 make up the religions. If you count ken hamm as a scientist the numbers will vary. But when going by people actually working in a life or physics field it's no comparison.

aren't most of them also jewish? i mean wasn't it the sadducees who were atheists? welcome to judaism part 3. good luck. we christians were part 2, but they decided they don't like us anymore (err wait, did they ever like us?). things that make you go hmm, hmm, hmmm.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

"Thoughts?"

Dream on.

Using Snopes as a supposed "source" isn't helping your case any. They are known to be very biased, and to flat out lie in some cases.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
I think organised religion has significantly declined in popularity over the last couple of decades and, as you correctly implied, the technological explosion that is the Internet has had lots to do with it. All religions that fail to modernise and adapt to change will continue to struggle to recruit new followers.

originally posted by: GetHyped
Creationists are a good target for those who scorn willful ignorance and those who try and subvert scientific education for their own twisted fundamentalist reasons. You don't have to be an atheist to be against this morally repugnant and intellectually dishonest ideology.

Right......because everything we can read on the internet is completely and totally true. No disinformation there.......

edit on 17-6-2014 by LadyGreenEyes because: reply to two posts.....hard to do with this new system

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN
imho,

the young earth branch of such stuff is nonsense.

It's as . . . rational as . . .

'God created everything last Thursday to look like it was very ancient etc. etc. etc. '

There are ancient Chinese characters 7,000 years or older.

I'm a firm Creationist. But the young earth stuff is silly.

I, for one, find it odd that you claim to be a believer, yet you don't seem to believe that God could create the universe last Thursday, to look much older. It seems a lot of 'believers,' want to take the supernatural out of God. If I supposed, that the Earth WAS indeed only 6000 or so years old, and Satan, who is the god of this World, changed it to look much older? You'll probably say you don't believe in Satan.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Chronogoblin

I think your assumptions are running away with your 'logic.'

1. OF COURSE God could do anything His Nature allows Him to do.

2. It's just NOT HIS STYLE to hoax things--and certainly NOT in the way you outline.

3. Of course I believe in satan.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Since creationists are the loudest amongst Christians and few mainstream Christians really take them on, they are becoming the face of Christianity. If this continues I don't see anyway smarter more advanced generations don't scoff at their insane, already debunked, claims.

Thoughts?

Not sure why you think they are the loudest, they seem on the whole to be American based (yes, I'm aware there are offshoots in many countries, but nothing like established in the same way) which is weird as it's based on ideas from England in the 17th century that frankly were never taken seriously then and still aren't now by most people.

You have put "few mainstream Christians take them on" - why bother? Like everyone else, they are entitled to their opinion, their beliefs are not recognised anywhere except amongst themselves. Most faiths, indeed most 'societies' will have a fringe element that the rest of the group doesn't agree with, whether it be science, faith, politics or whatever.

You could make the same argument that Islam will die out because the vast majority of Muslims do not believe killing other people is representative of their faith, but I do not see this happening.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Chronogoblin

this is the problem. people are arguing against an old earth in the bible, using papal interpretation as their launching platform. the problem with that is, the text does not say the earth is only 6000 years old.
i can prove it.

verse one says the universe was created
verse two says the earth became a desolate ruin.

what happened between verse 1 and verse 2?
oh bunches of things like the ice age, for example.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

may i remind you of a man in the bible who was told to kill his son to show his love for god.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: vjr1113

May I remind you that God prevented him from doing just that.

And, that Abraham had such faith in God that he KNEW God could and would raise him to life again BECAUSE he was the promised son to be father of many nations.

If you are going to quote the Bible, please get it right.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join