It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creationism Will be the End of Cristianity.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

I said I wouldn't respond to you again, but I am forced to re-think that decision. Riddle me this, if your outlook on life is liberating instead of bleak, then why are you so hateful and full of spite? You're quick to ridicule; why is that? Why can you not disagree in a respectful, decent manner?

If that's being liberated, then I'd rather be in shackles. I will still pray for you the same way I pray for myself.
edit on 6162014 by JohnFisher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped
42% of Americans believe in Young Earth Creationism. That's not very small by any definition.

There is a whole thread on that, and how B# it is. I know no one that believes in it.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArtemisE

a reply to: Xtrozero

42% of Americans believe in Young Earth Creationism. That's not very small by any definition.

I don't think it's quite that big. If you look at it by denomination it's like 25% of Christians.

Wow you guys dicker over a percentage and miss my point completely. lol

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

I don't think it's quite that big. If you look at it by denomination it's like 25% of Christians.

Wow you guys dicker over a percentage and miss my point completely. lol

I know that feel bruh.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Why is it BS?
edit on 16-6-2014 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Why is it BS?

Why is Young Earth Creationism BS? Did you really just ask that?

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnFisher
a reply to: Barcs

I made no claim about anything but the new testament. And for the new testament, it's true.

Yes, but my post that you responded to was talking about reasons to not take the bible literally, and not knowing the exact origin of the stories is a problem. Even if the gospel translations from the originals is accurate, the origin is still a mystery, because they have been traced to around 30 years after Jesus was crucified and they can't be verified as true. Some people take the old testament just as literally as the new. I feel too much has been lost to fully appreciate and understand a good portion of it.
edit on 16-6-2014 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnFisher
a reply to: GetHyped

Creationists are a good target for those who are arrogant enough to think anything under our scope of comprehension can conceivably exist without some kind of creator.

What is more arrogant? The natural urge of man to be curious and wanting to find out the workings of the universe (eg: science)...or that someone writes something in a book and boldly claims that it is written by GOD?

Let's just pick as one example, Genesis...where the book describes how supposedly our world including ourselves, man, was created. How DO YOU KNOW that this is a truth WRITTEN BY GOD? You think that god, the creator, came down one day to a a prophet and then shared with him all the details so it could all be written down in a book?

I consider myself "spiritual" or an agnostic, simply because I cannot rule out an "intelligence" behind everything, but I take myself the liberty to doubt whatever is written in the bible as words "by god", simply BECAUSE most of bible goes against common sense and understanding, and a god/creator entity would hardly write "nonsense" into the bible such as how the world was created in 6 days...let alone he/she/it wouldn't bother writing such stuff in the first place, IMHO.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnFisher

I said I wouldn't respond to you again, but I am forced to re-think that decision. Riddle me this, if your outlook on life is liberating instead of bleak, then why are you so hateful and full of spite?

You must not be familiar with me. Otherwise, you would have seen my lighthearted and playful manner on other threads, in other forums. Ask anyone who has seen me outside of the internet and they will tell you I am someone who loves to laugh and would sooner shake your hand than throw a punch. In time, hopefully, you will see that other side of me.

You're quick to ridicule; why is that?

I don't ridicule, I criticize. Someone once said that science is like building a boat and inviting everyone to try and sink it. If it floats in spite of their efforts, it may have some merit.

Why can you not disagree in a respectful, decent manner?

Because the things I disagree with are not decent or respectful.

If that's being liberated, then I'd rather be in shackles. I will still pray for you the same way I pray for myself.

I can think of a number of people whom you probably voted to go to war on behalf of that would say the same to you. Maybe freedom is a state of mind, rather than an actual physical condition.
edit on 16-6-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

I think as a whole your premise is relatively accurate(besides the end of christianity part...)

Mainstream young earth creationism is at best a long stretch...and at worse a willful ignorance of facts...

However, I don't see it being the end of Christianity. As it is, Christianity continues to grow and understand just as science does...just in a much more subtle way. Sure there are still the "crazies"...but there are still "pseudo scientists" as well...There are crazies in every bunch...

I reject ignorance as a whole. I don't care what label you want to slap on your forehead, if you say something that is OBVIOUSLY not true...and is easily refuted... I will gladly provide the evidence that should make you feel like you made a huge mistake.

As I said, Christianity is changing and growing...as a whole. There's no telling what science may uncover or what biblical archaeologists may uncover that could change the face of Christianity in the future....distant or near...So it's very hard to speculate what future generations may think of Christianity because it may not be the somewhat distorted view that it is today.

A2D
edit on 16-6-2014 by Agree2Disagree because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Just being fair about it migo. We don't have to stretch the truth to make evolution work. That's just the way it is.

I'm not saying you were trying to bs. The facts are on our side so I try and stick to them.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Agree2Disagree

I just think , in the modern, you tube era. It's becoming easier and easier for the loudest most obnoxious to get the most exposure. Most exposure quickly becomes the "voice of". Let creationists become the face of Christianity and see how much of a drop in membership as this generations kids become adults.

Most of the countries where religion espeacially Christianity are on the rise were damn near Stone Age cultures 100 years ago. I expect them to follow suit as there cultures become more modern as well.

Will there ever be NO ONE who's a Christian? Doubtful, but I bet in 150 years it's like 5% of the global population.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Agree2Disagree

Do you really think there's any science that would cause a major change in Christianity?

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   

It's difficult to do the quotes because I'm on my phone, but my experiences with you thus far don't coincide with the light-hearted persona you're claiming. It wasn't exhortation either. I think, maybe, you are more familiar with the false teachings of Christianity more so than the real teachings because if you really knew and understood the real faith, you would respect and appreciate it -- even if you disagree with it. If you knew my testimony, you wouldn't think of me as stupid, nor would you view it as a security blanket. Let me tell you, suffering is a gift. Without it, I would still be an arrogant, moronic prick. I hated faith and religion. If I believed in God, I hated him too. I hated our government for what they did to my family and me, and I had no respect for much of anything (although I claimed to). If you could really know my testimony, you wouldn't think it was stupid at all.

Propaganda is everywhere, and Christianity is on its bad side. Christians everywhere are getting duped by false teachers with evil intentions, and non-Christians are learning to scoff at it. We aren't the only target. We are one of many. See, that's just it, by being a bible believing Christian, I am doing exactly the opposite of what I'm told practically every day and everywhere.

I've been touched in a way that tells me to never lose faith. It doesn't matter what the claims are against it. It is something one cannot easily explain, but it doesn't negate the light I now see. Just like evolution VS creationism (of any type)... It's a silly debate that nobody can win (on either side).

If you are the nice guy you claim to be, then I apologize. Today you were not, but perhaps are normally are. I hope to see you again in the future when you're nice.

As far as voting and war... It depends. I can tell you that I have not yet supported any of the wars we have been involved with during my life. I would have been supportive during WW2. I would probably be supportive of war with North Korea (modern NK). I won't vote liberal, but I won't vote republican on a national ticket. So, I don't know... Neither mainstream party follows the biblical teachings of Christ, and they are both extremely corrupt.

Perhaps you can re-examine your opinion of the Christian faith. But it has to be the real teachings, taken onto proper context. Also, be sure to focus mostly on the new testament. The best place to really learn what bible-based Christianity is the sermon on the mount... Mathew 5-7

Anyway, you have a great day my friend! I'm sure you really are a nice fellow most of the time.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Christianity tells me my parents are going to hell. they are gay and they don't regret it. So just like any ignorant moron who talks trash about their love, any God who condemns my parents willingly forfeits my respect.
edit on 16-6-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

So what you're telling me right now is, no, you truly are not familiar with the biblical teachings of Christ. There is but one unforgivable sin in biblical Christianity, and that is the rejection of Christ as the savior. We are also taught that we will all stumble and stray. It is our human condition. We are also taught that whoever sins in one regard is guilty of every sin. Therefore, under Christianity, your parents are no more condemned than I or anyone else alive anywhere.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: borntowatch

Prior to Christianity the world was uneducated, it was the Protestant Christian reformers who brought on mass education for the average individual, not atheism or science.

Well,,,, Certainly the large congregation of Roman Catholics will disagree with your first sentence here. And certainly the education helped along by the Protestant reformers is important but leaving science out of this equation leaves the larger picture hindered. Very important in the mass education thing was the impact that science had on at least one aspect of that reformation. The printing press was scientifically developed and it brought the Bible into everyday usage rather than just being in the hands of the clergy.

Thats interesting, how about you show me some information where the Catholics brought education to the people. I would be very interested. If you are right then I have a lot of apologising to do
Remember that the Catholic church didnt want people to read the bible
www.middletownbiblechurch.org...

As for the European printing press, it was invented by a Christian and for printing amongst other things the bible.

www.colsoncenter.org...

Still that would be useless if people couldnt read

Though science and scientists existed, they were not at the forefront of education for all
Please prove me wrong

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Moresby

"Creationists" are a good target for a certain type of atheist. Namely those who are new to atheism, or unsure of their exact position, and need to take others down to feel more secure. And I say that as an atheist.

Creationists are a good target for those who scorn willful ignorance and those who try and subvert scientific education for their own twisted fundamentalist reasons. You don't have to be an atheist to be against this morally repugnant and intellectually dishonest ideology.

why so angry, dude?

you have your own beliefs, right?

i think they suck, actually. i can use only 2 words without anger. "they suck"

see, i can make my position clear and without condescension or insulting a group of people without coming off as morally/intellectually superior or with anger.

and to the OP, how many creation stories are in this world, today?
yet, for the last 150 yrs, some people get all militant and just claim they are right and the others are supposed to just say, "hey, everything i believe is wrong!"
"you and i are just flukes of the universe and really don't mean anything to anyone"

besides, YEC are just a very small minority in the christian faith. probably as many of them as "hard atheists"
i wouldn't worry yourself about them or the fate of christianity, it doesn't seem to be a fight i expected from you.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity

originally posted by: borntowatch

The crusades and witch trials were the faith streaching there muscles, not being debunked then taken over by yahoos. 2 completely different issues.

Communism was atheism stretching hers, then on to killing the old and infirm, not to mention unborn children and those who have mental illnes

Eugenics they call it, survival of the fittest.

Same issue.

Survival of the fittest only becomes a problem when you're not the fittest. And if Christians were at the top of the food chain, I'm pretty sure they'd be sorely tempted to quash paganism and wicca and Buddhism and atheism and any other form of spirituality that didn't subscribe to the One God of Abraham. If Christians were the dominant governing entity in this nation, I'm not sure they'd be so different from the way radical Islam runs things.

seriously?

'My husband told them we were Christians and they shot him in the head': How al-Shabaab militia went from door to door killing non-Muslims as Kenyan village watched World Cup

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

yeah, just like them.

i think the anti-christianites are getting out of control, everywhere and one doesn't have to be a radical islamist to join.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: CloudsTasteMetallic
a reply to: Akragon

Here's an analysis of the quote i posted.

"Nietzsche’s works express a fear that the decline of religion, the rise of atheism, and the absence of a higher moral authority would plunge the world into chaos. The western world had depended on the rule of God for thousands of years — it gave order to society and meaning to life. Without it, Nietzsche writes, society will move into an age of nihilism. Although Nietzsche may have been considered a nihilist by definition, he was critical of it and warned that accepting nihilism would be dangerous."

I tend to agree with this sentiment. Science, as much as it can love to convince us otherwise, does not have all the answers.

yup! so true.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join