It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creationism Will be the End of Cristianity.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I believe the present "young earth creationist" movement will be the end of Christianity.

As science and technology continue to improve....and creationist claims get crazier and crazier, more and more people will not want to be associated with Christianity.

Most of the younger generation has already flipped. It's not the 80's anymore where you have to go to the library and hope they have a specific book to do research. Now all the information of humanity is only a click away. You can no longer make outrageous claims with no way to check the validity of your statement. Now any 6th grader can look on snopes.

Since creationists are the loudest amongst Christians and few mainstream Christians really take them on, they are becoming the face of Christianity. If this continues I don't see anyway smarter more advanced generations don't scoff at their insane, already debunked, claims.

I know some "mainstream " Christian leaders have some what punched back. Pat Robertson for one. But I think most Christians see the crazies as on there team, so they let it slide. I think this is a fatal error. By not refuting there claims and rejecting them. I think future generations will associate them with "normal" Christians and reject Christianity as a whole.

Thoughts?

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE
science will rule out that Jesus rode to church on a dinosaur...or the back of any current sitting republican congressman! get real,Darwin rules!

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Well if I trusted snopes...

I don't really know what will happen. Will there be those that 'leave' their religions? Sure.

Will there be those that stay, or not be satisfied with the answers 'technology' or humankind has found? Being human, we are all fallible, with all topics. Our 'guesstimates' have been wrong before and they will continue to be. If we weren't so fallible, then I'd be more certain of what would be what.

I don't have a crystal ball, but I know I won't be leaving my beliefs behind anytime soon. Will I adjust as I learn, certainly, but that won't shake my belief in something bigger than we all are...

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Christianity has survived a lot worse.

And Christianity is a big tent. "Creationists" are in that tent. But they're hardly representative.

I'm not a Christian. But they obviously have a very powerful message that resonates with people. And that message will always be bigger than a few shouty voices.

"Creationists" are a good target for a certain type of atheist. Namely those who are new to atheism, or unsure of their exact position, and need to take others down to feel more secure. And I say that as an atheist.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: blkcwbyhat
science will rule out that Jesus rode to church on a dinosaur...or the back of any current sitting republican congressman! get real,Darwin rules!

Lmao you rock.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Moresby

"Creationists" are a good target for a certain type of atheist. Namely those who are new to atheism, or unsure of their exact position, and need to take others down to feel more secure. And I say that as an atheist.

Creationists are a good target for those who scorn willful ignorance and those who try and subvert scientific education for their own twisted fundamentalist reasons. You don't have to be an atheist to be against this morally repugnant and intellectually dishonest ideology.
edit on 16-6-2014 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I think organised religion has significantly declined in popularity over the last couple of decades and, as you correctly implied, the technological explosion that is the Internet has had lots to do with it. All religions that fail to modernise and adapt to change will continue to struggle to recruit new followers.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Moresby

I think is more about breaking up the disinformation then about the atheists personal doubts. I agree 100% about there message speaking to a lot of people, but of course every Christian seems to find a different message In the tea leaves.....

I personally kinda have a hero complex and hate seeing people lied to and robbed of there money and lives because of said lies.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Wow, that's the first time in the last 2000 plus years that someone has predicted the end of Christianity!

edit on 16-6-2014 by incoserv because: because I could.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

We all have a hero complex of sorts. But it is not always the role of the hero to act; an individual can only achieve so much, and can only help those that want to be helped.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

All evil needs to win is the inaction of good men. :p

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

But why is there evil to begin with? That is part of the puzzle that nobody ever addresses.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Because empathy is a gradient.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Creationists aren't the end of the faith. Truthfully, we can sit and argue the fine points of this debate, but in the end everything is based on faith. Science places faith in our ability to even begin to comprehend reality. I don't care how brilliant some of us may be. It is impossible for us to comprehend the fullness of reality, and if we can't see the whole picture, we are fools for thinking we can prove/disprove anything significant. Evolution and time are no different. I'll keep my faith in Jesus, and other people will too. If the crusades and witch trials weren't the end of the faith, then the debate between young-earth creationists and Darwinism won't be either.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I think scientists are going to have to find a lot of answers before you nail the coffin on creation, as for Christianity?

I think you may well see Christianity slide in your country but it isnt a barometer on the rest of the world.

Your paddock is not the only place on earth. In fact I reckon your country will fall faster than Christianity while Christianity grows in others.

No disrespect and not causing any arguments by desire, but I see the issues the US facing are caused by its lack of belief

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I have recently abandoned my "religion". (Catholicism) Not because they believe Jesus rode a dinosaur to the 7-11, but because I stepped out of my formed box and re read the bible. It just became as ludicrous to me, as reading stories about Santa Claus and his magic flying reindeer.

I have taught my children that many people believe in God and why. I have let them read the bible and my oldest couldn't even get through genesis without disbelieving the story. I have not expressed my personal beliefs to them, as I think they need to find their own way.

Creator or science or both..whatever they decide, I can support.

Except Ken Ham's version of creationism. I won't support that. That is unique to the United States (but is unfortunately spreading). Mostly due to the darkside of the OP discussing information being at the tips of everyone's fingers, instantly. People see it on the internet, believe it, without doing their own research. They believe that research concluded that Mr. Rogers WAS in the military, a war hero and violent sniper, when in fact the timeline of his life and schooling is not consistent with those claims. But then any claims against become "disinfo" for the believers....and voila. More division.

Sometimes, the internet is as dangerous as religions...divide, divide, divide...

I guess I kinda digressed. Sorry. More on point. Hard core "Ham ers'" (creationists) are like a slap in everyone's face on both sides of that question. Science or God?

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I don't think there is an evil and good per say.. But I think there is a better and worse for society and civilization. Things better for society are good, Things worse are evil and there's a whole lotta grey inbetween.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnFisher

I have no idea how they confused faith and experimentation and observation. To be science it has to make correct predictions and have repeatable experiments. Faith does niether!

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnFisher

The crusades and witch trials were the faith streaching there muscles, not being debunked then taken over by yahoos. 2 completely different issues.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: borntowatch

The lack of belief hasn't caused our problems... It's fixing them. All the problems you can name were worse pre science. Pre loss of faith.

Slavery, child molestation ( remember we married 13 year olds to men past there 20's in churches) war, rape, theft all were far worse in almost any century then now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join