It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Project "ATS Dark Matter" -- The Evolution Continues...

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   
very cool looking ....nice work
-GTB

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
When I opened the page, I had a heart stopping moment.. The Uh0Oh, what is going on here kind..
And then when I actually opened my eyes and LOOKED, well, I was quite relieved..
Great look, I am liking it muchly!!
I like it so much, I think I am going to have to find a HAWT new avatar in commemoration if the new ATS- Dark Matter!

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I hope there will be girly pictures soon, as the text fades into the background after about an hour. It does look sexy, that's why I asked about the girly pictures. It sort of reminds me of "Cheerleaders at Midnight."

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Wow, this is SWEET!!!

Now I gotta get a new Avatar and junk to match the backround, and I can't wait to get shopping for them!

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Wow very very nice theme and layout now
I hope this stays for a while!!!

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I have to add in that now that it is dark in my house ... the light text on the darker and darkest backgrounds are MUCH easier on the eyes. Strange I didn't think that that would be the case.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The lighter gray background is a vast improvement.

The background color choices are even better.

[edit on 2006/12/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I would like to put in a thumbs up on the lighter gray background. In fact, I'll put two thumbs up. Here they are...

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Basically what has happened here is that you have reversed the predominant polarity of the website from a negative polarity to a positive polarity. Negative polarity refers, in its most extreme form, to black text upon a white background- while positive polarity refers to the opposite- white text on a black background.

Negative polarity in general can be defined as dark text on lighter backgrounds, and positive polarity the reverse- lighter text on darker backgrounds. Interestingly, studies suggest that people 40 and older, who experience natural loss of the ability to perceive contrast, are more sensitive to the polarity of written text, and mostly when dealing with high contrast ratios. This may explain why some of the older members here are not taking too kindly to the abrupt change in the polarity of the site. Simply stated: it is easier for older people to read negative polarity text.

And that's exactly what the previous scheme used to be for the vast majority of forums, topics, and posts. It was all black text set upon lighter backgrounds, with the sole exception, I think, of the ATS Games Forum, which was purple with white text (positive polarity). That is why, set in a sea of negative polarity, that the ATS game forum used to stick out very effectively against all other forums under a "New Posts" display listing.

hubel.sfasu.edu...

Positive contrast polarity slows the performance of older individuals but does not seem to systematically influence the performance of younger adults. As mentioned above, normal changes in contrast sensitivity reduce the capacity of older adults to perform visual tasks in comparison to younger adults. Additional changes may explain the age-related effect of polarity: older adults also develop an increased sensitivity to glare and refracted light. Thus, when presented with visual stimuli which produce glaring or glowing effects, older adults will show less efficient processing than younger adults. Because of the "glowing" effect produced by halation, positive contrast is prone to produce the precise conditions under which older individuals are visually disadvantaged.

But further, studies also suggest that black text on a white background has the highest searchability, intelligibility, and is read with the fastest speed- and most importantly- among all age groups.

from same article:

However, it would appear that black text presented on a white background is the best choice for most users. When considering the needs of individual users, it is important to realize that older users have a much narrower range of visual function, and that this acts to reduce readability under contrast conditions which pose no difficulty to younger users. Of additional practical concern is that readability of text is significantly slower for all viewers when presented with medium-high contrast than when presented with high contrast, and the medium-high contrast level is used as the default setting for at least one popular web browser.

This would lead me to conclude a couple of things:

1) With the previous negative polarity color scheme, you had already maximized its appeal to the widest possible range of users.

2) With the current positive polarity scheme, you will be substantially increasing the difficulty of older users to browse the site.

3) If you are serious about providing the best possible experience for ALL users, and ultimately selling the most advertising (to put this in economic terms), then it is recommended that you reconsider this scheme and either:

a) go back to what you had;

or

b) develop a new color scheme based around a negative polarity with maximum contrast.

There are several other links I could provide, but I know you appreciate brevity and to get to the matter quickly. And that's pretty much it. Basing the site around a black background is going to cause problems, simply due to its forcing a positive polarity, and thereby causing difficulty for older viewers. But hey, who needs us pesky old timers around here anyways. Coulda sworn you were over forty there, Springer. Interesting that you like it so much.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
But further, studies also suggest that black text on a white background has the highest searchability, intelligibility, and is read with the fastest speed- and most importantly- among all age groups.

Well then I'm glad SO gave everyone options. You like a white background with black text? Then simply click the "lightest" option at the top of any thread page.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Trueamerican, you do realize that you can choose between darkest, dark, light, and lightest at the top of the page. Just give it time. You rush to criticize an unfinished product, why not wait until it is complete, then complain about what you don't like. I understand that many people love it, many people don't, and many people don't care one way or another, but at least wait until it is complete before you have a cow about how you don't like the changes.

If you like the black on white, then go to the top of the page, and select lightest, and there you have it.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Negative Positivity

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Basing the site around a black background is going to cause problems, simply due to its forcing a positive polarity, and thereby causing difficulty for older viewers. But hey, who needs us pesky old timers around here anyways. Coulda sworn you were over forty there, Springer. Interesting that you like it so much.

I'm well past forty myself, and I love it.

The research is fascinating, but I do tend to think the question is moot.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic

The research is fascinating, but I do tend to think the question is moot.

Good for you...as for me I think TrueAmerican has given me grounds for an age discrimination suit. I've clicked through every option on the light-dark thingy and still feel claustrophic. And I don't even remember what you said....if I ever knew in the first place.

...where am I? I need a seeing-eye-dog.

I'm sure I'll get used to it...what was I talking about?

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I already commented about the light option guys, and told SO that it was appreciated in a previous post. But I'm talking about the list that is displayed under "Recent Posts," moreso than anything. That's where it is bothering me a bit, because of the positive polarity.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
The Skin Game

Sounds like a pretty solid case is being made for what may well evolve into member-selectable ATS Skins.

Sorry if I seem a bit flippant, by the way. I know this is important.

Considering how much time I spend here, I can completely understand how vexing it would be if some aspect of the interface bothered me.

I would not want to put words in SO's mouth, but I'm quite confident that he's sensitive to these issues, and will want to make as many members happy as possible.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Ha, ha. He said old, M a j i c.

40.....those were the days.

Plus he forgot about us 'actual' old gyee's, with light sensative eyes, that

have to wear
at nite, who see the monitor as a 3000W parking lot light, shining

in our face.

Guess they missed me in that survey.

I'm lovin' the darkest setting , myself.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Are they gonna put the darkest, dark,etc. setting in BTS as well?

I would like to chage my page there to the darkest.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
is anybody elses homepage tweaking out too?

The top part of the page got split from the rest of it, it's way to the right side.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I'm sorry guys. I don't think certain people understand that for those of us this is physically affecting there is no glibness that can shame us into making it work for our eyes.

Maybe this is the time ATS gets handed over to the "young eyes". You guys keep the faith and forge on with the deny ignorance thing. SO has changed the look of ATS a few times since I've been here, but I've never had this problem before. I really and truly cannot even see the thread titles and my eyes can't adjust to comprehend.

I even tried going away from the "Recent List" and seeing if I could find threads in the individual forums, but it's just not working for me.

My old eyes can't do this. sorry.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jbird

Ha, ha. He said old, M a j i c.

40.....those were the days.

Plus he forgot about us 'actual' old gyee's, with light sensative eyes, that

have to wear
at nite, who see the monitor as a 3000W parking lot light, shining

in our face.

Guess they missed me in that survey.

I'm lovin' the darkest setting , myself.

Yeah, 3000W parking lot light.

I've never thought of it that way, but that's how i felt as well, and i'm only 18.

Shame i didn't think about breaking out the shades though.

"I wear my sunglasses at night"

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join