It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prophetic warning about sugar in 1972 was suppressed.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Ektar

Thank you. You ask a lot of questions, hope I don't miss any, heh.

I don't know the difference between all the diets, but that Low Carb forum I linked can probably outline the differences for you. I mainly enjoy the inspiration photos along with the recipe section. People also ask a lot of the same questions you do, so you may find a lot of what you are looking for there.

As for grilling, it doesn't matter how you cook the food. Stove, oven, grill, it's all good. It's the food, and what goes in and on it. Lemon juice is concentrate, and has a lot of sugars, as well.

Broccoli is a staple food on Atkins or any low carb diet, so that is an excellent choice. Cheese is on the allowed foods list, but in limited amounts, I think it is two ounces daily.

As far as sweeteners go, I simply use a liquid sacharine, firstly, it was removed from the cancer and carcinogen list, and also because liquids have zero carbs, while powders usually count as one. When you have a limit of 20-25 per day, it adds up quick, so you want to remove as many carbs as possible, and that is why people make some of the choices they do. Also, remember that Atkins died before a lot of the new sweeteners were available, though I do think he wrote about Stevia. Stevia was very limited in availability in the US for a long time.

I personally do not use Splenda, except on rare occasions, for cooking and baking. I am a bit paranoid about sweeteners, and the FDA approved it a bit too fast for my likes. I am paranoid of all other sweeteners, and won't use them, except Stevia, grown in my own garden. When it's gone, I return to sacharine. I really only use sweetener in my coffee, anyway. Most foods, for me, have a natural, wonderful flavor, and I never use added sweetener for anything else I can think of.

I do not drink alcohol, and it is not allowed, to begin with, and only in very limited amounts after the first two weeks.

Most nuts are not allowed during induction, only after the first two weeks, and again, in moderation, as TRex pointed out. For instance, the cereal I explained I make, we have that on Sunday mornings, or, for a special dessert. I treat strawberries the same, though, when in season, I may have them twice or three times a week. Again, in moderation. One or two of the giant berries is enough, sliced, and in a salad, dessert, or just fresh by itself.

Whipped cream, made from the heavy cream, without added sweeteners, on top of the berries is nice, and feels like a treat, but keep in mind, cream is low carb, and making whipped cream doesn't change the carb count! It's a luxury we get on low carb!

Also, homemade hot cocoa using cocoa, cream, water, and a liquid sweetener is a nice treat. The dangers in things like that is not the sweetener, per se, it is triggering a craving or eating binge. Remember to count the carbs in the cocoa powder!

Treats are not truly recommended until after induction, after the first two weeks, which as I explained, is also a disciplinary thing as well as a detox. A lot of changing your eating habits is discipline, along with learning what you can and cannot have.

But, imagine a lovely breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, and an egg crepe filled with a couple of sliced berries, topped with whipped cream and some chopped almonds! A lovely breakfast! Who can complain? But, some dearly miss that toast, bagel, or muffin so much, they just cannit do it. Again, it's the discipline. But, you will be so full, you won't even want or miss lunch, and perhaps just have an early dinner.

Then, a dinner of pork chops or roast chicken, some asparagus or broccoli topped with melted butter, some shredded cheese, and a fresh salad with your favorite dressing. A sugar free jello with whipped topping for dessert will find you again, satisfied until morning!

During induction, it is recommended that you not skip more than 4-6 hours without food, but once you learn your needs, you can tailor it to suit you. Skipping meals is never good, as it can lead to binge eating, but I have always, always, been a one meal a day eater. It was very hard for me to eat 3 meals a day. I did, however, during induction. I did lose weight, too, though it felt like all I did was eat constantly!

www.fitday.com...

This is a great food calculator. You can plug in the foods you eat, and it will give you the entire dietary breakdown, including carbs. You can record everything, and see how you do daily, and find where you need to make changes. It also allows you to enter activities, exercise, etc.

You can also search for a certain food, if you are curious how it adds up, before you eat it.

It cool, and free!

edit on 14-2-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Aleister
reply to post by Libertygal

Prayers and envisioning good things for you. Thanks for sharing, and now you have to keep us informed.

Thanks much. I will, indeed.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

jaffo
Couldn't care less. I like sugar. I am going to continue to enjoy sugar in moderation. Point blank, I would rather die at 65 after a meal of carcinogen-laden BBQ and a slice of pecan pie than live to be 100 without a little sugar here and there. We're all dying, every day. Enjoy the ride.

See that's the beauty of life, choices. You make yours, and others will make theirs. No one is condemning your choices, you are free to do as you wish, and I do hope you enjoy it!

However, sometimes, people come to a crossroads in life where, for some reason or another, usually because they feel unwell, they must make a change. Discovering the big lies we have all been fed, along with the poisons we have all been fed, for some is shocking and surprising. Many do not realize the actual addictive properties behind certain foods, nor the fact that the government not only pushes it, but that they WANT it to happen! Couple that with the lobbying and money behind big pharma, and you do, indeed, have a real life conspiracy.

The thing is, some people want the truth, want to feel better, and want to get the poisons out of their systems, and see what life is like without them. If they choose to return, then, they have made a choice.

That's the beauty of life, the freedom, at least right now, to make the choice. The government, however, would very much like to do anything they can to take that choice away, and force you to eat what they prefer. Just look at the record number of people on food stamps. Do you sincerely believe they are buying healthy foods, or, chips, sweet drinks, and sugary snacks? I would be willing to make a wager.

edit on 14-2-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

The list of things going on in the name of profit are long and far indeed. Now a days you would really really have to live in a bubble, or in a cave to escape high fructose syrup, or consuming sugar even the various synthetic sugars out there, so even if you wanted to avoid sugar it is not an easy thing to do. And if there is a profit to be made in it, you can bet that the whole machine will contort and conform in any way necessary to get behind it, as its what it was set up to do. That has been proven time and time again, without question, and without fail.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Finally. There are studies showing that a low carb diet is the best way to loose weight and is a healthy life style. Funny how they feed grains to cattle to fatten them up but tell us to eat the same thing to get slender. Ha ha . Sugar is the great white death.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   

jaffo
Couldn't care less. I like sugar. I am going to continue to enjoy sugar in moderation. Point blank, I would rather die at 65 after a meal of carcinogen-laden BBQ and a slice of pecan pie than live to be 100 without a little sugar here and there. We're all dying, every day. Enjoy the ride.

Of course it's your choice. But here's the thing you should remember: it's not just that you will die at 65 - it's that your health will start to suffer about 15 years or so before you die. When your health starts to suffer, you feel really bad - no energy, more aches and pains, less immunity to illnesses - you'll feel sick most of the time. Try to enjoy that ride...

I'm not trying to live to 100 (although I'm certainly not against it). I am trying to ensure that I feel GOOD AND STRONG for as long as possible. Even if I end up dying at 65 anyway, I want those last years to be active ones, where I'm traveling the world, hiking mountains, skiing, -- and not sitting in a wheelchair with an oxygen tank. For me, that is more important than getting my sugar fix.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

i don't think i would have lived to 65 without removing sugar.

Or i could do it like my friend did, and half my stomch surgically removed. And still have to eat low carb or risk dumping syndrome.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Yeah, and it's easy to say you don't care if you die at 65.... until you reach about 64 1/2. Then it's funny how your attitude changes and you'd like to live just a bit longer.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
A little sugar, occasionally, is good for us. But it seems that sugar is in everything. They use salt to make cake and frosting not so intense, mellowing it out. Salt and sugar don't mix that well. Salt and fats go good together. The problem is the combination of salts and sugar that is the biggest problem.

I am not against salt, but when using sugars as our energy source, salt can become a problem. Ketones can power most of the mind, although not so fast, the thoughts are more thought through. Some sugar is needed for some parts of the brain. Society has gone wild on this though, choosing to avoid most fats and then burning sugars is the next option. You reap what you sew, many diseases are caused by the over consumption of sugars. Too much bread is also no good for people. Keep sugar as a treat, not a constant addition to the diet. fruit juice also has a lot of fructose, that is good for building fat if the right conditions are present. These conditions are present a lot if you eat food.
edit on 15-2-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

They use salt to make cake and frosting not so intense, mellowing it out. Salt and sugar don't mix that well.

The salt-sugar mix is based on research determining the perfectly addictive combination.

Processed white sugar=ng.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

my thoughts are that if water follows salt, it also follows sugar. They both consume water in the body.

So you take in more water, and create high levels of pressure in the other liquid reserviors (namely, the blood). Added to this is the change in ph due to the water intake creating a breeding ground for disease.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I have been saying this for years. Refined carbohydrates is the real killer. The body derives energy from carbohydrate not fat. When we remove carbohydrate from the diet the body will burn its own fat stores rather than derive energy from external fat sources. Dr Atkins proved this years ago and was debunked by mainstream medical science. It makes me laugh how the scientific community is now slowly coming around to his theories without actually acknowledging him.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Tune into ATS LIve to hear discussion on this terrific thread .

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Cheers Zazz

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

zazzafrazz

Cheers Zazz

Oh geez zazz, wish I put more effort into it now…

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

zazzafrazz

Cheers Zazz

Not sure if the guys on there air are going to check back on the thread. But here's another article by Forbes on the conspiratorial (anti-scientfific inquest) angle.

It might seem obvious: people who drink sugar-sweetened beverages are more likely to gain weight or to be obese. Most research supports this intuitive finding. The big exception: when researchers receive support from the sugar and beverage industries they are much less likely to make the connection.

But the difference between the papers with industry support and papers without such support was dramatic. For the 11 papers in which the authors reported no conflict of interest, 10 out of the 12 findings supported the association between sugar-sweetened beverages and weight gain or obesity. In stark contrast, 5 out of the 6 papers with industry support failed to find evidence for any such association. In other words, systematic reviews with industry support were 5 times more likely to find no significant association.

“Our results,” write the authors in their paper in PLOS Medicine, “confirm the hypothesis that authors of systematic reviews may draw their conclusions in ways consistent with their sponsors’ interests.”

Forbes

Financial Conflicts of Interest and Reporting Bias Regarding the Association between Sugar-Sweetened Beverages and Weight Gain: A Systematic Review of Systematic Reviews
www.plosmedicine.org...
edit on 15-2-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Call in

Don't make me work harder on my Sunday.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

zazzafrazz
reply to post by boncho

Call in

Don't make me work harder on my Sunday.

Laryngitis. Yeah thats it… uh, I mean, tonsillectomy, just last night. Shucks!

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   
This is an interesting topic.

Especially interesting to me, because I have gone through a lot of different phases including sugar and other substances.

Eventually, something started happening in my life, within me, or in my circumstances - I don't know, what - that started gently steering me away from those things.

There was a time when I thought, "Fine, I will just smoke and drink coffee and that's what I will be", and I really tried to keep that kind of lifestyle. I did my best to smoke cigarettes every day and drink a lot of coffee. I am one of those 'extremists' in a sense, that I can't have 'modesty' in any kind of addictive thing, whether it's video games, cigarettes, alcohol, coffee, or any similar thing.

So of course I started suffering quite a lot from the effects of the constant 'overdosing' (the only way for me to have 'enough' is to have 'a little bit too much'). I tried and wanted to just keep this thing stable, instead of constantly beginning and quitting those substances (caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, candy bars, etc. - everything was 'over the counter' stuff). Stability, even physically unhealthy one, would at least be something.

Alas, there was a time, when I just couldn't do it for a day. I thought that I will just not smoke for that day, and will continue the next day.

But the next day, I still felt so awful and repulsed by even the thought of inhaling that stuff, that I wanted to extend my 'holiday' a little bit. These urges have never been a difficulty for me to widthstand, and sometimes, the widthdrawal symptoms have not even existed noticeably - mainly, when I meditated, which is a good practice for quitting substances for its psychological (you feel like you 'get' a 'fix', plus the special breathing makes the lungs feel like they get something, too) but also energy-flow-altering effects.

I think it was around that time that I discovered a neat way to 'trick' myself - instead of giving into the craving for cigarettes, I found out it's possible to divert it to something else. So if I can give myself a permission to play video games as much as I want, as long as I am not smoking, it gives a focus for the craving to exhaust itself (but this can of course lead to other problems, like enhancing your video game equipment collective too much).

Now, this happened such a long time ago, that I can't remember the details perfectly - I think I gave up caffeine a bit earlier, and that sort of diminished the joy of smoking a lot, because those two things always went together. It seemed so 'dry' without the coffee, like just going to a sauna without being able to jump into a swimming pool every once in awhile.

Caffeine was causing so many problems, without really relieving exhaustion, so I got fed up with it, and just wanted to be without it. One could say that the desire to be free of its awful effects (remember the 'extremist' bit at this point, they were not regular coffee-drinker's effects..) grew much stronger than the desire to stimulate my body by using it (sometimes the added bonus was that it allowed me some creative energy, which I so rarely have, although I love it - so the temptation was pretty great, as there was always at least a possibility for creativity after drinking it..).

Somehow, I just never returned to the smoke (except for -one- packet after a few months, just to process an awful emotional feeling that cigarettes always helped with, when something quite disastrous happened - we won't discuss the details).

I never made any 'decision' or used any 'willpower' to get rid of it. I was actually even attempting to just keep smoking, so there was no ideological or health reason or any kind of determination to actually 'quit' smoking (I still don't consider myself having quit - I just notice right now choosing not to smoke, I don't know what choice I might make the next moment).

Every day, I just found myself thinking: "Well, not just now, maybe later". I seriously did plan to smoke again, after I felt like i had 'healed' enough or 'felt good enough' that I could handle it again, and felt like smoking again. I guess that's basically still my plan.

Of course, then financial difficulties arose, which prevented me from attempting to go back the road I was trying to continue, and that meant, I couldn't even drink alcohol. I wanted to drink, even if just for time to time, but the financial situation made it an impractical decision, so I kept putting it off into the future. I did manage to drink a two times during about three and a half years, but neither experience felt very good, so I never renewed my attempts.

At the same time, my food choices were changing. I don't know exactly how it happened - I wanted to simply try something different, since I had eaten quite unhealthily for a long time, but it was beginning to bore me to eat like that, and the reason I did it, was, because it was just so easy to just buy a frozen something and toss it in the oven (I don't have a microwave one, never had, and hopefully never will, either).

It was also relatively cheap, and I thought that I couldn't afford to eat any other way. Somehow, I started experimenting with alternatives, and at first, it seemed rather ludicrous. After a few successful attempts, however, it became easy and I realized I could 'shave' off some things, as I didn't really need them, and so on.

I also replaced the deserts - just for the heck of it, really - with fruits. I guess I wanted to see, whether that could be done. Previously, I had been quite hooked on chocolate bars and other sugary 'treats', and I felt I could never get enough of them. I wasn't aware how addicted I was to them, but yeah - it was a lot like in the movie 'Supersize Me', except that it was candy bars and such 'sweets'.

I might have been inspired by the Seinfeld episode, where Kramer says he shoved a cantaloupe in someone's throat to get them off sugar, but there was really no ideology behind it - I guess I mostly wanted to see, whether it'd make a change to my (low) energy levels.

I also realized that rice is relatively cheap, as one tiny (at least by american standards) box can make many meals.

As the financial crisis continued, I couldn't afford to buy cheese, butter, toufu (it's really with a longer 'o', and not 'tofu') or anything else for the bread, so I was forced to eat the bread 'as is'.

So now my meals are simplified, easy and fast to cook, healthy, and after eating, I don't have the effect of half-coma of feeling stuffed, but I can still function and continue normally, and as an addition, I actually feel like "I have had enough"!

It's spectacular, how much different it feels after eating fruits for dessert - you don't feel like you still want to eat, but your stomach is so full that it's about to burst, like with candy bars and such as dessert. With them, there was never the feeling of "ok, this satisfies me, I don't need more right now". There was always a constant craving and lusting for more, even if your stomach pleaded with you and wrote emails to congress to make acts and statutes to stop people from overeating.

That bit still amazes me - I am completely ready for the effect of 'still wanting more' after a meal, but nope. With this healthier and simpler meal, I always feel -not full, but "satisfied", so hunger no longer bothers me, neither do any cravings. I also learned to eat when I get hungry, instead of just stuffing my poor stomach as full as it goes, and then doing it again after it's half-empty, after numerous hours have passed.

So I end up eating regularly, two to three times a day (depending on the day - I can only afford to buy five meals for two days, but this is sufficient - it's always fun to be in the 'not-eating-mode' as well, and take it as a challenge for myself, to see how long I can hold out, and enjoy the slightly otherwordly feeling it gives me - it's almost like being in a mild trance), I feel completely satisfied after a meal, and I can continue functioning and doing things even right after eating.

I never officially quit anything, but for a long time now (it would be many years, if it wasn't for, like, three isolated incidents - so it's purely around a bit over year and a half), I just have not indulged in:

- Cigarettes / Nicotine / Tobacco
- Alcohol
- Coffee
- Candy bars / chocolate / 'sweet treats' / etc.
- Frozen food that you heat in the oven
- Dairy products
- Chips / salty 'treats' of any kind

And all this has occurred without me planning for it AT ALL, on the contrary. Sometimes things just happen in life, like life is some kind of gentle giant force that guides you slowly towards something better, even if you plan the opposite.

I do indulge in playing computer and video games from time to time, however .. but that's like any kind of entertainment that people use. I'd rather have it be interactive or active than just passive staring (like just watching TV "PROGRAMMING" is - there's a reason that it's called "programming"..).

Oh yeah, I also haven't had a TV Receiver for around 14 years or so - maybe that's what keeps my mind more clear than a lot of the people I run into, who seem to be in a sort of mind-controlled daze. I can't say I don't have a "TV", because I do have physical televisions, but I use them with computer equipment only, so the only things displayed there are actually put there by my computer, which is in my control - not by some corporation, deciding for me what I want to watch and when..

It doesn't surprise me that sugar is more unhealthy than most people have been told. We all know that refined sugar can't be very healthy, compared to the more natural sugar species.. uh, specieses? Well, the more natural varieties of sugar.

It's a good thing that I don't feel any kind of need to have, consume or use sugar outside of eating fruits - then again, why should anyone? Fruits are delicious, they make my stomach feel good, and they give a nice 'after-feel' that is like closing a lid. I mean, instead of wanting more, I can always feel like the meal has been complete, when I end it by eating fruits. Ahh.

It's kind of a funny thing that I have actually been trying to save money for something bigger, so I haven't been able to eat so luxuriously - but now I am so used to eating this way, that I doubt I would change my diet much even if I had all the billions of the gates family (I refuse to write that name with a capital letter).

I like the diet, because it's simple, efficient, it doesn't take much of my time or effort to get, prepare or eat it, it tastes good every time, and it deals with the hunger with letting me still continue doing things right after eating. And it forms a good core that I can sometimes expand upon by purchasing more (and more exotic) vegetables and different types of fruits - there's a whole -world- of this stuff out there, so even variety is guaranteed!

Poverty is, indeed, our treasure. We should never exchange it for the easy life. (paraphrased Zen teaching).

(Not that I consider myself poor - my life is very luxurious and rich, especially in comparison to the poor brothers that live in North Korea, Africa, South-East Asia, and so on - whenever one feels like they are not rich enough, one merely needs to remember how those people live to get the grateful humility back. And especially my life is very rich because of my internal experience of it, that most of the so-called 'rich' people do not have. The sugarless frosting on the fruitcake is that sometimes I have even been able to create - and I don't know if there is a greater, more exciting and wonderfully miraculous and mystical 'doable thing' in the whole existence, besides meditation, perhaps!)

P.S. Would this post be considered "long"? To me, this is like a small intro to a real post.. but I have learned that on this planet, people consider even a few pages of text "long".

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   

A little sugar, occasionally, is good for us. But it seems that sugar is in everything. They use salt to make cake and frosting not so intense, mellowing it out. Salt and sugar don't mix that well. Salt and fats go good together. The problem is the combination of salts and sugar that is the biggest problem.

A problem is the biggest problem?

There are many KINDS of sugar. The natural sugar, that exists in fruits, for example, is healthy.

It's the INDUSTRIAL stuff that some people call "food", that is the problem. When industry started "refining" everything, and yet calling it just 'sugar' or 'food', people should have totally denied those claims and demanded real food instead.

Refined sugar = a problem.

Natural sugar = solution.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) years ago. I went to the doctor because I was struggling with extreme fatigue and tiredness where I once had the energy of a super hero.

They told me I should avoid all sugar and the foods like potatoes and anything else that turns to sugar in the blood.

I've learned to drink coffee and tea unsweet with none of those B.S. artificial sweeteners and now can not tolerate either of those beverages even lightly sweetened.

I've found that I do ok just by avoiding sweet beverages. I can still eat dark chocolates every day and cake and pies at holidays sparingly.

I don't eat a lot of pies or cakes but don't try to completely avoid them.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join