It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prophetic warning about sugar in 1972 was suppressed.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Libertygal
I also will occasionally have a whole onion, cooked in a crock, with a bullion cube, topped with cheese, french onion soup. But even onions turn quite sugary.

I love Onion soup, and will eat a Vidalia like a apple. (Thank God I'm not seeing anyone...yet)

Please go to the cooking forum and post the recipe.

But I had no clue that onions became sugary.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Thank you to everyone posting on this thread & especially on my behalf.
There is a wealth of information from all the input. I am definitely more
comfortable getting answers here than just website hopping & getting
opinions from people hosting the site & not knowing if what they are
promoting is really true. At least here we kind of know a wee bit of each
other by our postings & length of time here.

So I am grateful that people have posted their experiences as it
has now given me hope to actually follow through on the Keto
or less than 25 carbs per day. I just went through the foods here &
I guess I will donate all the pasta even the whole grain to a food bank.
Although it's been sitting here for a year or 2...just bought that bag of
Mackintosh apples but 23 C per apple guess I'll be cutting those up for
the parrot, he might enjoy dried pasta too. My dogs & cat eat better than
I do, they get the top grain-free diet. There goes my low-fat popcorn
I just bought too. But I don't have much time to lose the weight & that's
most important...I can do without those snacks.

I will need to find a good source of food listings & recipes, BFFT I've seen
s a few of yours & all look delish. I have enough broccoli, cheese, tuna, &
a steak to hold me over until Sun or Mon. I'm going for it you guys...as even
going to rehab 3 days a week in the pool for 45 min & no change in weight
only maintaining what I don't want.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

TDawgRex

kaylaluv
I've been making grain-free bread with almond and/or coconut flour. It's a dense bread, kind of like pumpernickel, but milder tasting.

Sounds interesting as I like both of them, but have seen either on sale. I take it that both are white/yellow? Maybe it's me, but I've never though of Pumpernickel or Rye as being anything else but a mild flavor. Are you saying that they taste like white bread...but denser?

Yeah, to me they taste more like white bread then pumpernickel or rye. And yes, they are both light-colored flours. I have bought them in the grocery store (Bob's Red Mill is the brand), but I have also bought them online. The brands I have bought online, especially the almond flour, have been better for making bread then the Bob's Red Mill. Bob's flour is just denser, so sometimes I had a problem with the bread being gummy in the middle, no matter how long I baked it.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

TDawgRex

Carrots are worse. They've got a higher glycemic index than a candy bar.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

as a rule of thumb, if it ever has "sweet" in the name, it has sugar.

Another rule of thumb: if it caramelizes, its got sugar. If it scorches without caramelizing, it doesn't. The exception: meats. Caramelized meat is heaven, and still 0 carbs.

But garlic and onions both...they have sugars in them and can have an impact when done in large amounts. I am an onion jam fanatic. It is pure onion, red wine, and honey (and a touch of vinegar). It pains me to leave the onion jam in my recipe box, but if i am not eating burgers i can survive without it. LOL

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Bedlam

TDawgRex

Well that sucks. Gonna have to reseach it a bit more. No offense.

I love carrots as a quick snack...and apples...and onions, and celery, etc, etc.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Oh my God, I can't live without garlic. My husband makes a condiment called Mojo de Ajo, which is just tons of garlic slow-simmered in olive oil and chipotle peppers. Jeez Louise, I eat that on everything...

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Bedlam

TDawgRex

I actually don't eat carrots, because they are the whole plant and not just a seed. As for onions and garlic, more please. Pass them my way, and keep them coming.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
So I don't have a diabetes problem just want to lose 20 lbs
by the end of March (seriously). I assume there are certain veggies
that are bad such as corn, but what about grilled beets, grilled onions,
& etc?
Also I know you can use a julienne scraper to use on squash to make
spaghetti (I haven't yet, need scraper) & the cauliflower potatoes are
very good. Any other tricks or a place to find them?

The flower for breads yes please share recipes. I have never made bread
but now I would love to if we can eat it. Berries are ok to eat as well as
nuts & seeds? Sorry I have no clue about food & I have stayed away from
nuts & seeds, I LOVE them but it all goes back to "the fat" myth.
Thank you guys for ALL your help.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

We need your recipes, I LOVE garlic & I eat minced garlic every day. That sauce
sounds amazingly good. Damn I just finished this unappetizing food & you
have made me hungry! I had the "Better than Eggs" NOT, but bought before this
thread due to low calories.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

GoShredAK
reply to post by Libertygal

Really valuable and refreshing posts from you! Thanks

What's your opinion on the supposed "ancient grains"? Such as quinoa and Amaranth?

I feel good when I eat these grains, and quinoa is supposed to be the "gold of the incas" or the "mother grain" a protein rich superfood...

Do you find any truth in that?

Thank you.

I have read about those grains, and thought about trying some, but I have not.

I have had Ezekiel's Bread made, made from the Biblical recipe, and I tried to be open minded about it, but I just couldn't like it. So, in all honesty, I say try new things, but if you don't like it, it doesn't matter how good it is for you.

As far as diabetes goes, it would just depend on how it affected my glucose as to whether or not I would continue to eat it. I don't really miss bread too much. It's more a psychological thing with me. Tell me I can't have it, and it makes me want it more!

So, I find ways around that issue, with what are called "Frankenfoods". I make pizza with ground beef for the crust. It's wonderful, really! Mashed cauliflower replaces mashed potatoes, and Daikon Radish sliced for potato chips, shredded for hash browns, etc. I have tons of Frankenfoods.

All in all, trying those grains at this point, for me, would be a curiosity, but I still think health wise, they are far better than processed flours, by a mile! If you like them, and you feel good from eating them, I say why not? The health benefits should be known, so no reason to hold back.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Ektar

Just look into the "Food and Cooking" forum. Lots of great recipes there. And some "meh" ones as well. And plenty of them are healthy eating as well.

I ignore anything with the word Tofu in it though. Just not going to do it.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
We can blame Christopher Columbus for bringing sugar into our lives!

In 1493 Columbus transports sugar cane to the New World on the advice of Queen Isabela. In 1500 the Dutch establish's a sugar refinery at Antwerp and ship sugar to Germany and England. In 1660 the British find sugar pushing so profitable it becomes a matter of national security. British pass the Navigation Act of 1660 to prevent transport of sugar, tobacco, or any product of the American Colonies to any port outside England, Ireland and British possessions.

During the time of the Sugar boom there are a number of Plagues that get swept around Britain and Europe and it seems these Plagues were caused by the influx of Sugar!

1662 Britain importing 16 million pounds of sugar per year.

1665 London swept by bubonic plague. It was noticed that people who lived without sugar escaped harm. Over 68,000 die.

So Sugar is basically a sweet plague! This info was taken from:

Chronological History Of Health

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

GoShredAK

Really valuable and refreshing posts from you! Thanks

What's your opinion on the supposed "ancient grains"? Such as quinoa and Amaranth?

I feel good when I eat these grains, and quinoa is supposed to be the "gold of the incas" or the "mother grain" a protein rich superfood...

Do you find any truth in that?

I just got into quinoa a few months ago, and it's delicious. The taste is unique, unlike any other grain. What's nice is that it tastes the best at room temperature, so after cooking it I have time to do clean up before eating. I add and mix sesame sticks and white raisins into it, then later put on a bit of olive oil, garlic, pepper, zaatar, and sometimes a little nutritional yeast on top to "top" it off.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by stevcolx

Well that is really interesting, the history of plagues following the introduction of sugar into the society. Does this hold up under more research and analysis?

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Sounds delicious! We have it alongside black beans and veggie tacos,or stuffed inside a baked bell pepper,or with spaghetti squash and marinara, and most recently I've been making a dish of Quinoa at room temperature like you said, with a couple over easy eggs (from real chickens!) on top.....Soooooo good, and gives me the power to complete my various labor intensive chores....

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

kaylaluv
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Oh my God, I can't live without garlic. My husband makes a condiment called Mojo de Ajo, which is just tons of garlic slow-simmered in olive oil and chipotle peppers. Jeez Louise, I eat that on everything...

Me neither. I use it in everything, and just count 2g/carbs daily into my count for the use of the garlic.

I tend to overestimate some things to ensure I stay below 30g/day (although i do "fast" by doing less than 20g/day for 2 weeks at a time, primarily after going off the keto diet for a few days).

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

your quinoa recipe sounds superb. We serve it in the restaurant with a redfish. it is amazing.

But the golden raisins added to it make it sound like heaven. Aleister, if i dined with you every night my tummy would always be full/happy, but i would be so fat i would end up on one of those shows about 600lb people.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Ektar

Oh, and ETA, doing Atkins induction, and low carb, you can lose up to 20% of your total body weight in two weeks, and even more, if you stick with it. It's more than just water, too, because NO ONE has that much water!

Also, keep in mind, if you return to old ways, the weight will come back FAST. If you start, and change your mind, ease gently, back to your old ways, but please be mindful of white foods, sugars and breads, and try to avoid those anyway.

It's no problem to get the approved food list for the Atkin's Diet. The first two weeks, what is known as induction, is fairly strict, and is the 20 carbs or less part of the diet. That is also the part where you do the sugar detox, hence, why it is so strict. It's a metabolic as well as a mental discipline issue, along with a change in taste.

The approved list is short, but, there is also a free foods list. On the free foods list, you can eat as much of those foods as you want.

Free foods are generally meats and fats. These are what fill you up, and keep you full.

It's kind of shocking, but, when you actually DO it, you find yourself craving the veggies. Sure, you can eat 5 pork chops, but what about some more salad?? Nope, two cups per day. Again, there is a reason. The best book, if you are interested, is The New Atkins Revolution, which does add more veggies.

After the first two weeks, you get a new list of foods you can add in, such as nuts, but in careful, limited amounts. You can also increase the amounts on the approved list.

I find I stay on the approved list, I add in the other foods, but, always manage by carb count, to stay at or below 25, sometimes 30, if I splurge. As I said, a splurge to me is some strawberries or, onion soup, tomato sauce, something that has a bit more carbs that will take me to, or over my limit.

Of course, once in a while, I cheat. I grab a donut, or a cupcake. Something I know I should not touch. Often, after I do, and I get sick, I swear I will never do that again. Inevetiably, I feel a craving, or feel sorry for myself, or whatever reason, and I conveniently forget, or don't care, how sick I was. Usually I don't care. It's carelessness. But, I also try to limit it. Sometimes, it's just really hard to say no.

Printable Atkins allowed foods for induction

lowcarbediem.com...

lowcarbediem.com...

Help on Atkins, useful information

One thing, don't buy into all the Atkins bars, syrups, flours, etc. It's expensive, and there are millions of free recipes online for induction friendly foods.

Here is my favorite Low Carb Forum:

forum.lowcarber.org...

Been a member there a LONG time!

One word on veggies. Not all veggies are created equal. Yes, some are bad, like corn. Especially corn. Beans, peas, legumes, carrots, should all be avoided, however if you get a salad with some shredded carrot, it's ok and not to worry. Usually not enough to make a difference. Good white foods are daikon radish, cauliflower, mayo, cream cheese, ricotta cheese, white hard cheeses, cream, cottage cheese, onion, garlic. But, not most of these the first two weeks.

Most others, not good.

edit on 14-2-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Hey thanks for the reply!

I'm going to stay glued to this thread, I'm on an ever progressing health journey, both mentally and physically, the wonderful contributions to this thread are right up my alley.

I'll try to come up with something valuable as well, but I better get going or I'm gonna be late to work.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join