It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prophetic warning about sugar in 1972 was suppressed.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by malvy

Your active lifestyle will not counteract a terrible diet forever. The amount of inflammation that is being produced when you drink a coke is destructive to your health. Think of every coke as diabetes and every junk food as a heart attack. Your body cannot process that much sugar. You are already becoming insulin resistant. Every time you drink a coke you are creating a huge sugar spike that then causes an insulin spike. This damages your cells, causing them to be resistant to insulin which then causes more insulin to need to be released. You're young right now so you're ok probably because you're active. Your body is still producing growth hormone. Once you hit 33 or so you stop producing growth hormone, and you are now on the downward slope of your life. Thats why so many people say, "man I was great till I hit 40, it was all down hill from there". They dump on their body by feeding it poison, and then all the sudden you don't heal the same anymore and now all the effects pile on. You gain tons of weight, you're on high BP meds, high cholesterol meds. Erectile dysfunction here we come!

Hip replacements, arthritis, osteoporosis, bowel disorders, obesity, heart disease, alzheimers, non-alzheimers dementia, cancer

You are drinking that list with each coke. Enjoy!

Sorry to be blunt, but its the truth. I get it how hard it is to change. Sugar, Caffeine, Flour, Milk are all highly addictive. Coffee gives me acid reflux and headaches but every winter I'm on the bean. I let myself go Thanksgiving to New Years each year then detox in January. It's hard to stop, and I eat a very clean diet 11 months of the year, and when I say let myself go, it's my normal diet with a cookie here and there. I eat very little sugar, but it is hard to stop. But realize that you are kicking an addiction when you do it, a full blown real addiction. You get an opiate response from eating sugar, casein (the protein in milk) and gluten.

Please, please, please if not for yourself, for the sake of the rest of us so we don't have to pay for your astronomical medical bills
, and your family doesn't have to drive you to dialysis 3 days a week and watch you whither into oblivion.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

"More people are avoiding sugar, and (when this happens companies adjust what they’re selling,) this is what worries me.

100777.com...

edit on 14-2-2014 by superluminal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Aleister

ketsuko
reply to post by Aleister

So either a person can be addicted or they can't?

And it counts for every substance?

Likely. Look at Philip Hoffman, he was off his addiction for 23 years, and then wham, he had to have it all. Most people can drink just fine, and stop when they feel like it. An alcoholic can't do that, nor probably can a cigarette smoker (another one I never got into). It's either cold turkey or nothing, and with sugar, going cold turkey means knowing all the fake names, and giving up things people usually love, like candy and ice cream and such (luckily, by the time I first gave up sugar I was already a vegetarian, and did so to be a vegan, and was surprised at how easy it was after going cold turkey).
edit on 13-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

Addiction is very often a product of a mutation of the ability to methylate MUTANT GENES

Here is an explanation in the authors words from a 3rd grade reading level

We all have 2 copies of the MTHFR** gene. MTHFR stands for methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase. The purpose of this gene is to produce the MTHFR enzyme, which the body needs for a myriad of functions including production of neurotransmitters, immune system function, cardiovascular health and much much more. It does this through a multistep process that converts folic acid and vitamin B12 into methyl folate and methyl B12, which are the forms required to make the enzyme. (This is often called the methylation process or methylation pathway and there is much more to it than this one gene, but the MTHFR gene is critical.)

mthfrsupport on Facebook is a great resource also

There is a good chance P.S. Hoffman was homozygous for MTHFR

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I'm one of the high carb people, love brown rice, oatmeal, beans, etc. which are my main foods (with other foods and seasonings of course). I stay away from the white starches. About a year and a half ago I realized, after talking with someone, that my "downfall" was potato chips and French fries. So I cut those out immediately, and lost a good amount of any extra weight I was carrying. Have been off soda for the same amount of time as being off meat (and I was a total soda junkie - Pepsi and Dr. Pepper were my fixes, it was about all I ever drank for decades), and switched over to water, and finally started taking "vitamin c".

There was a young poster earlier who asked if he should quit the soda (and chips), and I would say of course, the sooner the better.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   

gspat
A quick question to you guys...

As a grocery manager for a wholesale store, I try to be able to give my customers options.

I've brought in Stevia as a sugar replacement. All my reading says that it's much better for you than sugar or the chemical alternatives.

Is it really better for them or not?

Depends. I can't use it, gives me severe dizzy spells. I use sucralose.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Ektar
reply to post by thepolish1

Even as healthy as I try to be, I do not use margarine...it has to be butter. One thing I
find hard to believe is how our ancestors were not fatter than hell! REALLY...

They ate so much bloody fat, meat every day (& not lean), grains, LARD & etc...
Even today if we ate like them I'm not so sure we would still be lean like them
due to no gathering & hunting just sitting on our butts.

But it would be interesting to see a new Reality TV show challenge how the old way
of eating verses how people eat today with all the processed food!

Cheers
Ektar

Fat doesn't make you fat. That's a big fat lie told by sugar pushers.

Humans did not evolve to eat more than about 100g of carb a day. If you ever do a survival course it becomes clear very quickly that there is usually no bulk carb source in the hunter gatherer diet. When you do find them it will be in the pre lean season time of year when you really should be gaining weight for winter.

Hunter gatherers eat about 2/3 protein and fat, the rest is made up of greens, then with things like nuts, berries and the odd tuber making up the minority. They very rarely eat any kind of grain unless there's food shortage, as they take a lot of work to process and need heavy equipment too (most HG's are at least semi nomadic).

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

LightAssassin
reply to post by TDawgRex

Problem would resolve itself if you adhered strictly to a ketogenic diet. It sounds like you aren't eating enough sugar...the body will function properly only with a full carb diet or a zero carb diet. That middle ground is where you feel sick.

You should try it....it was a revelation for me...yet here I am back on the carbs....but I so very miss the keto diet!!!

THis is me. When eating a ketogenic diet i enjoy what i eat much more (mostly because i amp up flavors and go heavier on umami type flavors) and i feel better.

I lost a couple hundred a few years ago on ketogenic diet, and then took last year off. I didn't intend to....but as i rolled into summer with all the fresh fruit, then winter with all the holiday feasts....

I have been back on keto for about 5 weeks now. I dropped 30 lbs (i had gained about 60) so far, and feel much, much better.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
This information in this thread is invaluable, because what it teaches is correct.

To understand the ills of today, all one must do is study a tiny bit of history. It's not really rocket science!

We have been brainwashed, this is the biggest takeaway from all of this. We are where we are today because of POLITICS. Yes, you read it right.

It started with flour and grains. It was called the "Bread Basket", back in "ancient times". Of course, I am being silly with that remark, but to young people today, it may as well have been.

It was libbyists and government working to compensate farmers. Subsidising, all about the stock market. They pushed "grains" on us. Processed flour, and the result was what was known as the "Bread Basket", back in the 40's. It was all about the mighty dollar.

The same thing with refined sugar. Flour and sugar were commodities, hot on the stock market. Between lobbyists and the stock market, we the consumers, got brainwasbed with our "Food Pyramid's", and a government telling you what you should eat.

History proves reality. Back when the settlers first arrived, before there was processed flours, refined sugars, there was no heart disease, high blood pressure, or diabetes.

As has already been pointed out, this is called the "triad" of metabolic disorder.

Now, consider this. The very same libbyists that push sugar and flour for their benefit also push the drugs to treat the triad. Why would you trust them? If you know their goal in the first action was money, why would not their goal in the second action be the same?

People have wised up. This is why now, we have things like "high fructose corn syrup", and why they try to hide sugars in almost every single processed food. Even "all natural" foods have "preservatives and additives added for freshness and flavor", and people buy that claptrap. It's poison and chemicals and hidden sugars, because they want and hope, that you arevtoo stupid to get it.

The only way to know that you are not getting these hidden things in your food is to eat nothing but fresh. But, even with that, you now have them trying to avoid disclosing GMO and irradiation, which aida in preventing spoilage. It keeps "fresh produce and milk" able to have a longer shelf life. Heck, we even have milk now that need not even be refrigerated! Yet, the Ahmish cannot sell fresh from the cow, real milk. Ask yourselves, why? No, it isn't a risk of illness like they lie to you and say. It's because you get that much more removed from what THEY want in YOUR body.

Here are some tips.

Low fat - means they removed the fat, likely via chemical process, and added SUGAR to REPAIR the flavor! So what happens when you eat low fat, and don't need that hidden sugar? You turn it into.. wait for it... FAT!!! Yeah, real LOW FAT, huh?

Decaf or caffiene free - Again, caffiene is removed via a chemical process. If you wish to truly avoid caffiene, stay away from ANYTHING that has caffiened in it. All the chemicals and processing needed to remove the caffieine are far worse for you than if you just had the caffeine!

Bread - whole grain, whole wheat - don't. Just. Don't. It is ALL processed flours, it is ALL fake, processed, marketting, bad poison for you food. There is nothing NATURAL in those processed breads, they WILL kill you! If you want whole grain bread, grind your own, or, find a trustworthy market and buy freshground whole grains. Trust me when I tell you this. Real whole grain bread will be MUCH different than anything you have EVER eaten. You might not even like it. It is an aquired taste, without all the sugars and salts and other additives. All the things you THINK you know about bread are lies.

Margarine vs butter - margarine is gross. Only eat real butter, or, better yet, make your own from whole whipping cream. This is VERY simple. Pour some heavy cream into a food processor, turn it on high. 5 minutes or less later you have real butter sitting in a puddle of buttermilk. Use the buttermilk for cooking, deink it, whatever. Run the butter under cold water and "wash" it, squeeze it between your fingers until the water runs clear. Add some salt if you prefer, or don't. It onl lasts a tad longer qith salt, so eat it in a couple days, only make what you need, as you need it. Keep it covered.

Salt - Another interesting point that I have seen hugely neglected. Salt, in particular Morton's Salt, has iodine added. This is for a purpose! Again, history, kids! This is really worrisome to me with the advent of "sea salt", and such. Salt without iodine is dangerous, because we do not get enough iodine in our diets. This is why iodine was added, by law, to salt. All salt sellers HAD to add iodine to salt "back in the day". People were getting a high amount of goiter and thyroid disease, and it was discovered to be due to lack of iodine in the diet. Science, and the government, does us some real favors, like vitamin C and ricketts. You just have to know what is real, what to trust, and what is bogus. You need the iodine in salt! This is really important! If you use other salts, be CERTAIN you are getting sufficient iodine! Look atvthe rise, again, in thyroid disease lately. Now, look at the advent of "sea salt" and others, in cooking fads. Think!

Milk vs cream, 2%, low fat - if you drink, or use milk, use heavy cream! We already covered the low fat issue, which is the same for 2% milk! Go to the milk aisle. Grab one of each milk type. LOOK at the label! Where it says "CARBS" note: it will say "sugars" this is ADDED SUGAR! Now, grab the Heavy Cream. See how low the carbs are? Look at the PER SERVING size. You want milk? 1/2 cream, 1/2 water. Stop buying the milk!

Condiments, cheeses - same as above. Get real Ranch dressing, low fat is HIGH sugar! Same with cheeses. Getcreal, aged cheddar, not processed cheese food, and yes sclices, especially wrapped individual slices, are almost always processe cheese food! Eat real cheese, real dressings!

Eggs - all the lies about eggs are just that, lies. Eat as many eggs as you want, 12 a day, if you want. Eggs and cholesterol is another BIG LIE. They only hurt you if you mix in the sugar and the flour.

You think wow, all this fat! I am going to get fat! Nope. On a diet of 65% fat, meats, cheeses, eggs, and vegetables, you will BURN dietary fat! You will not store it, you will burn it, pee it out, the proof is on the Ketostyx. The proof will also be your health, how you feel, and your labs.

Your cholesterol will normalize, your blood pressure will normalize, and you will NATURALLY lower your calorie intake. Why? Because fat is satisfying! It fills you up, it satiates hunger for longer periods of time! You will find you actually eat LESS, your caloric intake will go down, and you will drop a lot of weight if you are overweight.

The biggest lie of all. Carbs only last in you a short time. You get hungry again, soon. Like when you eat Chinese food. You eat, feel stuffed, and a few hours later, you are foraging in the kitchen why? Because you FEEL hungry again! So what does this REALLY mean? It means you BUY more foods! More drinks! Your grocery carts are twice or three times more full, although high carb foods are "cheap", you have to buy TONS more! Healthy foods are a bit more expensive, but you get more miles per gallon, IF you avoid the sugars and processed flours, the white foods. Mix these two, and it's a deadly diet, for sure! Don't mix them, because it wreaks havoc on your metabolism. When you go keto, you must commit, you must stay there, and trust me, once there, you will enjoy it because that gnawing hunger goes away! Most of all, you will love that lower grocery bill!

Many times, you may even find yourself having to remind yourself to eat. You may not even feel hungry at meal time. The choice is yours. Eat because it is mealtime, or, wait until you feel hungry. Personally, I prefer to wait. My blood sugar is normalized, I am off all diabetes meds, and I no longer have blood sugar swings. It's almost a constant state, in the same place. Even if I cheat here or there, it won't drastically affect my sugar unless I don't go straightaway back to low carb.

When you do cheat, you WILL get sick, so plan on it. SUGAR is TOXIC, and you are so used to it, you don't even know how sick you feel until you detox off it. And yes, quitting sugar is exactly like a drug detox. You will get sick for several days, feel like you have the flu maybe, but, why would you NOT want to detox, if this is what it does to you?!

And yes, everything I have said about the history is easily researchable and verifiable, if you care.

Not one heart attack, UNTIL we started eating sugar and processed flour. Look for yourselves.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Nice post. I follow much of what you say, thought not all of it. I just said that twice didn't I?

How about pumpernickel or rye bread. I've read and heard that they are better for you than the wheat and white breads that are all over the place with zero trans fats and gluten free. I love those two breads, but rarely buy them as they go bad so quick.

Nothing like eggs over easy and dipping your toast. Mmmmm-mmmm!

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Very good long post, even though I don't eat meat the post will assist those who do. And when you give up sugar you also have the side benefit of giving up all the stuff that sits in those candies, cakes, and cookies (the 3 C's of caloric consumerism), including milk (as in milk chocolates, cream, etc). Unless you are a very young calf there is no reason whatsoever to drink or eat cow's milk. Gives me the willies even thinking about how I used to drink that stuff.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Great post.

Making dressing is easy. For creamy, you just have half buttermilk, half mayo. Then add in what you want to flavor it (bleu cheese, or you can do some wasabi and garlic...). For the rest, it is just a vinaigrette. Simple: equal amounts of vinegar and oil, and equal amount of another liquid (like lemon juice). Blend it together with dark mustard, some herb (like oregano), some spice (red pepper flakes), and an aromatic (garlic or onion). I make fresh dressing every day, and eat salad every night (most every night...sometimes i cook veggies, but like them raw more).

ETA: regarding butter....flies won't lay maggots in margarine. That is all you need to know.

But if you put butter in a skillet and brown it off a bit (not scorch, just brown) you have brown butter. It is a whole new flavor of wonderful. I use it in place of olive oil to make a vinaigrette from time to time (you have to heat the vinaigrette a bit when you finish, as the brown butter will clump up a bit when its cooled in the mixture....just heat it and shake it and you are good to go).
edit on 2/14/2014 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
My previous post was so long, I could not even edit my typos, so apologies for that. I just wanted to add some links, in case anyone was interested in doing some reading.

Aside from the fact that the government pushed grains and subsidized farmers in the Breadbasket, we also have the fact that they also produce the majority of cattle and pigs, and the grains that feed them.

Top that off, now, with Ethanol production, and you have what was becomming a failing commodity, due to people waking up to the realities of what our own government was doing, going low carb was actually causing financial stress, panic, amongst the bakers, bread unions, farmers and lobbyists. This panic goes as far back as the 1970's, when Atkin's first revealed the truth about low carb.

Even Harvard has reviewed, and reversed, the highly pushed "food pyramid" that was taught in schools, starting in the first grade. Take the food pyramid and turn it upside down, and you have a much more realistic, healthy diet.

They had to find a way to keep that hot commodity - ethanol. And, they still push high fructose corn sysrup. Once again, the panic is setting in.

plainshumanities.unl.edu...

This is a short run down of how the "Bread Basket" came to be, the Great Plains, the "Grain Plains, of the United States.

m.washingtonpost.com... 3-b46a-5a3d0d2130da_story.html

‘Soft lobbying’ war between sugar, corn syrup
shows new tactics in Washington influence

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Study proves butter healthier than margarine

Misc citations:

John Mark Hansen, Gaining access: Congress
and the farm lobby, 1919-1981 (1991) p, 138

Thomas F. McIlwraith and Edward K. Muller, North
America: the historical geography of a changing
continent (2001) p, 186

www.foodsystemsnyc.org...
The Breadbasket, war, and government subsidies

drhyman.com...

archinte.jamanetwork.com...
Added Sugar Intake and Cardiovascular
Diseases Mortality Among US Adults

edit on 14-2-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Thank you.

ETA: regarding butter....flies won't lay maggots in margarine. That is all you need to know.

I did not know this. Just. Eww.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

TDawgRex

Nice post. I follow much of what you say, thought not all of it. I just said that twice didn't I?

How about pumpernickel or rye bread. I've read and heard that they are better for you than the wheat and white breads that are all over the place with zero trans fats and gluten free. I love those two breads, but rarely buy them as they go bad so quick.

Nothing like eggs over easy and dipping your toast. Mmmmm-mmmm!

I'm with you - I've got to have toast with my eggs in the morning. I've been making grain-free bread with almond and/or coconut flour. It's a dense bread, kind of like pumpernickel, but milder tasting.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Thanks!

I use cream basically for my coffee. I work nightshift, so it's just a necessity for me! Gotta have my coffee. I use cream in cooking, too. Instead if using flour or corn starch for gravies, I found that if I add cream to the drippings, it makes a lovely gravy for mashed cauliflower.

Fake mashed potatoes and roast chicken. Yumm. I know you said you don't eat meat, but for those that do..!

I do love my strawberries and cream, juuust about this time of year, when those fist sized strawberries come out of Florida. Oh em gee.

I get some macadamia nuts, some almonds, some walnuts, flax seeds, chop them, add strawberries, and make homemade cereal out of the nuts. Top off with heavy cream, and yummm again! Great breakfast! Also a nice dessert. I do the same when raspberries and blueberries are in season.

I also make a "crepe" by scrambling one egg, spraying non stick olive oil in my egg pan, and spread it really thin. Cook both sides, fill with chopped strawberries, and top with fresh whipped cream and a dash of vanilla. Yes! Making myself hungry! Lol.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

I have made almond cake. Care to share the recipe for your bread? Would love to try it. Or, send it in U2U?

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Libertygal
reply to post by kaylaluv

I have made almond cake. Care to share the recipe for your bread? Would love to try it. Or, send it in U2U?

No...share it. Or write a thread and link it back here. I wanna see it.

I can make an almond flour dessert cake (like a pound cake), but would be interested to see anything that might have savory intentions, rather than sweet.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

kaylaluv
I've been making grain-free bread with almond and/or coconut flour. It's a dense bread, kind of like pumpernickel, but milder tasting.

Sounds interesting as I like both of them, but have seen either on sale. I take it that both are white/yellow? Maybe it's me, but I've never though of Pumpernickel or Rye as being anything else but a mild flavor. Are you saying that they taste like white bread...but denser?

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I avoid all breads except, obviously, wheat or gluten free, simply because of carbs and diabetes. Mixing the two is bad, so I don't, plus, I have a sensitivity to gluten. For anyone going lower carb, but not strick or diabetes, ie trying to stay under 25 carbs per day, for sure pumpernikel and rye are supposed to be better. You just want to read your labels for the ingredients, to be sure they aren't trying to fool you with flavorings and food colorings, and check the fats used.

I just try to avoid all sugars. I am very strict, and all flours, even complex, turn to sugar. That's only because of diabetes, and wanting to stay off of all diabetes meds.

A splurge to me is strawberries or a tomato sauce. Since both are high in natural sugars. I also will occasionally have a whole onion, cooked in a crock, with a bullion cube, topped with cheese, french onion soup. But even onions turn quite sugary.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Really valuable and refreshing posts from you! Thanks

What's your opinion on the supposed "ancient grains"? Such as quinoa and Amaranth?

I feel good when I eat these grains, and quinoa is supposed to be the "gold of the incas" or the "mother grain" a protein rich superfood...

Do you find any truth in that?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join