It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prophetic warning about sugar in 1972 was suppressed.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Yes & as I stated in my post, just one holiday cheat which is only a few times a year
& you're back (at least I am) trying to kick the habit again. Here I am post holiday &
no Valentine goodies for tomorrow, but bloody got 19" of snow so far since last night.
I have a few hard candy peppermints cz I'm still trying to kick the habit!

I had been using honey in me tea but that's a few extra calories I don't need.
I was an ice cream holic from 1990 until 1991 then switched to frozen yogurt
but still has sugar, even thought I was going healthy because ALL of them were
FAT FREE, LOL! I only started monitoring the sugar in the past 5 yrs & started
low carbs in the past 2 yrs. Bloody hell a slow metabolism sucks! Yes I have
thyroid issues but it is regulated...it ALL sucks when you love GOOD food!
Not the trash.

I thought about the Adkins or Paleo since I love meat & dairy (cheese) but I'm afraid
to switch due to the high calorie content. Right now I need to lose 20lbs by end of March.
Had surgery months ago & they may me drink crap high in calories & sugar prior to surgery
& I am now struggling to drop those last pounds...makes a hell of a difference to your clothes!

My mum & a sister are diabetic in the last 5 t 6 yrs due to a very poor diet & they did
absolutely nothing to help themselves & ended up on insulin pill.s My sister still takes pills
& me mum has been on insulin injections for ~ 4 yrs now. They are extremely addicted to
sugar!

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Well not really. When I used to drink alcohol I never liked it, and didn't go out of my way to have it. I'd nurse one beer for a whole night (I like the first sip or two of a good beer, then, blah). Used to live in a household with three cigarette smokers, so my blood and brain had nicotine in it, but I've never had an urge to pick one up and smoke it. I've only had a drink alone twice, and once when I was watching one of the Johnny Depp pirate movies and thought rum would go good with it, but nah, not a good experience either time. So in my case, I'm a sugar addict and the others I can take or put down at will.
edit on 13-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I gave up sugary drinks and candies back in 2001, along with processed foods and basically anything that contains HFCS.

Actually just checked my blood pressure and heart rate:

105/70 hb 49

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
When I had to have ice cream or frozen yogurt it was just that...
I love frozen yogurt! I also love homemade deserts & breads. I have
never been addicted to store bought cakes & cookies & never bought them.
I did love making pasta & gave that up too.

Bread I loved! But I thought I was choosing healthy by buying whole
grain & by a bakery such as La Brea. I do MISS my bread & Frozen Yogurt!
I still miss them but I do not buy them. I also do not eat many processed
foods or frozen dinners. I eat alot of fresh veggies & meats on the weekends.
Also no artificial sweeteners...hard to give up Diet Dew & diet pop-tarts!
I drink alot of tea, carb water, & water.
Cheers
Ektar
edit on 1322014 by Ektar because: needed to

edit on 1322014 by Ektar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by webedoomed

Mine's a little higher - usually in the one-teens over roughly 75.

But I can't say I maintain a perfectly pristine diet. I don't buy HFCS if I can help it. We don't tend to buy bread. Our average meal is lean meat with some veggies.

I'm not above occasional treats, however. We do have some Dove Dark Chocolates sitting in the kitchen, and I have a batch of cookie dough I made sitting in the fridge (What can I say? Chocolate chips were on sale ...
)

We always shop with a firm budget, a list, and we always visit produce first, meat second, dairy third, and the rest last. By the time we hit the first three stops, we've usually expended about 3/4 of our budget which severely limits the damage we can do with anything processed.

We also have some rules for what I will allows us to spend on other things. For example, I refuse to spend anything more than $2 for a bag of chips. That usually means we are limited to one brand of tortilla chips.
edit on 13-2-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

I do the same as you, produce, meat & dairy. I just wish I could have
some bloody dark chocolate! I love love love it! To bad it doesn't go
with trying to lose weight.

It is amazing to me & has been for many years how addictive sugar really is...
& seeing how it was used as an additive to everything to make people addicted
to food. How brilliant & so sad. And to add that all the people that are trying to
be good by using the fakes like aspartame & etc because it tricks your body into
insulin mode. One sister is already taking pills for diabetes which could have
prevented or now stopped the diabetes. She is in terrible health & another
issue is Fibromialgia.I have told her about the connection for both diseases & that
diet foods or drinks do not help but make things worse & she refuses to
listen....so off the soap box.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Ektar

I thought about the Adkins or Paleo since I love meat & dairy (cheese) but I'm afraid
to switch due to the high calorie content. Right now I need to lose 20lbs by end of March.
Had surgery months ago & they may me drink crap high in calories & sugar prior to surgery
& I am now struggling to drop those last pounds...makes a hell of a difference to your clothes!

My mum & a sister are diabetic in the last 5 t 6 yrs due to a very poor diet & they did
absolutely nothing to help themselves & ended up on insulin pill.s My sister still takes pills
& me mum has been on insulin injections for ~ 4 yrs now. They are extremely addicted to
sugar!

Cheers
Ektar

Don't worry about the calories on paleo/low carb. Seriously, the protein and/or ketosis kills your appetite. You end up not being able to finsh a 500 calorie chicken mayo salad after a week or so.

The doctors kept telling my diabetic nan to eat lots of carbs and then medicated her. Could have said, 'keep the carbs under 100g a day spread out and you'll be fine', but no. Even a lot of type one diabetics don't need to inject on keto diets.

But of course, that means no medicine is being sold

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

There must be something else at work in a person because it's not like sugar is instant death to everyone. Obviously not all of us need it or I'd be just as lost. Maybe it's a brain chemistry issue.

Well, I have read there is some link between sugar addiction and alcohol addiction. Not that everyone who gets hooked on sugar easily is an alcoholic. Almost the opposite, kind of an either-or scenario. If they are easily addicted to sugar, they may be at risk for being easily addicted to alcohol.

My dad was an alcoholic. He checked himself into a facility (God love him) to get dried out. He gained a lot of weight in the process, because he replaced alcohol with a sugar addiction!

Then, he died of a massive heart attach a few years later. His docs kept putting him on meds for high BP and arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries from plaque- the same stuff you get on your teeth from eating a sugary diet.) Also had him on a crazy low-fat diet, but no restrictions on carbs or sugar. It didn't help (duh) so they just said it was genetic, even though none of his relatives shared his health issues.

So I've come to the conclusion that fat in the blood stream (except trans fat!) probably prevents plaque. Think about it... slippery coating on artery walls... what's gonna stick to it and build up? Also, rubbing coconut oil on your teeth and gums helps prevent plaque, and actually softens/dissolves it over time! So... good fat in your bloodstream-- I believe has the same effect on plaque, since science has confirmed they are the same. And what is it again that causes plaque on your teeth?!

(Sidenote about transfat... my dad was taken off of almost ALL fats (no nuts, butter, milkfat, etc.) One of the few fats his doctors allowed was margarine. Margarine... that non-food that the body has no idea what to do with!) So basically, they recommended a plaque-building diet and restricted the very things that could have battled the plaque.

In 1975, they opened up his chest to do a triple by-pass, and closed him back up without doing the surgery. There was too much damage to the heart muscle and it would not withstand the procedure. Cracked open his chest for naught. Put him on painkillers, valium, nitroglycerin, and who knows what else. He must have gone thru a lot emotionally but he never complained about it. He died less than a year after that non-surgery.

Sorry to tell my life story.
So here's the Cliff Notes : Sugar

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Aleister
reply to post by boncho

I have Yudkin's book, it's one of the ones that got me to give up sugar. Over and over again. I get hooked very quickly, and so if I go a few years, then eat one cookie, I want to eat all the cookies everywhere. I've been "off" sugar (and all of the names they use to disguise it) again since September of 2012. Of course I must recommend it, and it's a great way to lose weight (just imagine all the things sugar is in that pack on the pounds). And don't worry, you don't miss it once you stop. Seriously, you'd think you'd miss eating all the cakes and candy and cookies and everything the stuff is included in, but nope. An interesting phenomena that the sugar industry probably doesn't want us to know.
edit on 13-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

sugar is addictive. It derives from a craving in the cells for more energy.

I avoid sugar. I lost a ton of weight eating paleo/modified atkins.

People still will argue with me, that its a trick of eating less for (fats/proteins are more filling). my answer: of course....less insulin response means less hunger. Thats the whole point.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Ektar

scrap the milk and yogurt, stick to cheese and butter, and heavy cream.

scrap all tubers and stick to leafy greans. No fruit, berries in moderation. Then treat yourself to Lindor Extra Dark truffles every few days. 13g carb/serving. Easily do-able within a 30g/day diet.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
A quick question to you guys...

As a grocery manager for a wholesale store, I try to be able to give my customers options.

I've brought in Stevia as a sugar replacement. All my reading says that it's much better for you than sugar or the chemical alternatives.

Is it really better for them or not?

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I don't do milk or yogurt. I eat 4 times a week for dinner fresh steamed broccoli
with minced garlic, lemon juice, sea salt & non-fat cheese with a little low fat cheese.

The other nites are usually low-carb chia tortillas (2 = 120 cals) with minced garlic
& Tuna (80 cals) with non-fat cheese + a small amt of low fat cheese & Frank's Hot Sauce.

For breakfast is egg beaters (25 cal per serv) with Frank's Hot Sauce or
5 grain Bob's Red Mill Hot cereal...low cal low carb... or 1/2 banana.
Lunch if I have it an apple...snack some times ~ 4pm 1 oz or less 75% fat cheese
only 3 to 4 times a week. At night probably bad is the 100 cal popcorn bag & 3 pieces
of peppermint 60 cals. I often have hummus as a snack low in fat & cal...red pepper the lowest.

So you see I'm not pigging out...on the weekend everything remains the same except
I grill meat to eat on Sat & Sun & enough veggies that I have enough through in the casadilla.
I will have a few martini's which are low on the cals in regards to other drinks.

I'm seeing a friend in the 1st time in 30 yrs 1st of April so I am freaking out on the weight
& not being able to get in me clothes. So I will start starving myself next week if that's
what it takes & then figure out something after the visit. When you are older & single
these things matter...my health matters too. Someone mentioned about my salt consumption
not long ago, I eat sea salt & I do think there is a huge difference. My blood work has been
nearly perfect. Blood pressure was high for 3 yrs due to anxiety & after ~ 4 to 5 months
on Liposomal Vit C it has been normal for 9 mo. being checked every 2 to 3 months & sooner
due to surgery.

Anyway BFFT I do miss me Dark Chocolate! Once my weight is back under control from surgery
I will be having the chocolate occasionally because you should not deny yourself of everything.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

gspat

As a grocery manager for a wholesale store, I try to be able to give my customers options.

I've brought in Stevia as a sugar replacement. All my reading says that it's much better for you than sugar or the chemical alternatives.

Stevia is erythritol. Do your customers a favor and buy them erythritol. It is derived as a sugar alcohol (polyol) in the leaves of a plant. You can also get it from places like near the skin of fruits. It has a net of about 2.2% by serving the carb count of sugar. Avoid stuff like xylitol, which is just about as bad as sugar for creating insulin response (and "sugar free" candy with maltitol, which can be worse than sugar). But they are safe, and in the fruits we already eat.

It is better for you, but can give you some stomache issues. It shouldn't be a replacement. I use it with Splenda to create a balanced sweet flavor.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Everything in moderation. Sugar is addicting as has been pointed out. Processed sugar is especially nasty for our bodies. What is it - 9 tsp per can of coke or Pepsi? Oh wait - that's corn syrup. Some people drink a 12 pack of those a day (yes...I have known people who have and probably still do). I think sugar gives me headaches. I ate a Twinkie (ok - I ate 2), the other night. Woke up with a bad sinus type headache. As a younger person I wouldn't have wanted to make the connection - denial. However - the correlation is clear today. I eat that crap I feel like crap.

Once you get past the hump (as someone pointed out), you will actually crave the stuff our bodies can convert a bit more slowly - fruits, complex carbs, veggies. It's amazing how quickly we can get re-addicted though. I am not at all overweight - a little under by the guides given for height/weight. My blood pressure is low. But I'm pretty sure when I eat badly it sends my blood sugar out of whack based on the ill feeling I get. If you look online - some people are questioning whether they are allergic to sugar because it makes them feel so sick. Pay attention to what your body does after eating it - 1 - 5 hours later. If you don't feel more alive - it can't be good for you.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I find that if I really get the sweet tooth, I can kill it by taking some vitamin C (?). Alternately, a glass of wine will kill off my desire for sugar. Not sure why, and I know it's anecdotal, but generally a nice dose of C and 4 oz of red will stop the donut munchies.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Have you given up grains too?

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I myself, have never been a big sweets person, or the type to buy the heat and eat stuff. the sweets, I think it was the way I was raised. the heat and eat stuff, I'm a down home hillbilly at heart, and you need at least a meat, potato, and a veggie with dinner.

I tend to eat salads, but the other stuff (hard boiled eggs, cheese, sunflowers seeds, French fried onions....ect...ect...) Isn't the best for you, but if that is all your eating, why the hell not???

My main addiction is salt. When I make Beans and cornbread.....I have the salt and pepper shaker next to me.

And everything I cook has to be cooked in BUTTER. Not margerine. (sp)

You know ladies, the one argument with the mother in law we all have, well, that's mine, it's real butter, or nothing.

My theory is " If you can't put it on popcorn, and not have the popcorn shrivel to nothing, it's gotta be good....)
edit on 13-2-2014 by thepolish1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I think Stevia is healthy, but you are right on the zylitol, that is deathly
to animals. I saw so many emergencies related to zylitol especially dogs
getting into "Orbit" gum.

What sweeteners are safe? I just started using stevia in place of honey &
I found it's an acquired taste but not bad & only took a few days.I prefer honey
but was trying to lose the extra 60 cals per cup of tea & I drink 4 cups a day of
hot tea & the iced I don't use anything (except now that I switched to stevia I use).

I just picked up this sweetener yesterday instead of stevia because it was cheap
& had a coupon...it's monk fruit & stevia blend...ingredients fructose,monk fruit
extract, REB A (stevia extract).

Not as sweet as just stevia & if they still have this("Naturals" monk fruit & stevia blend)
I will buy it again because it is 80 servings & with the close-out price & coupon it
was ~ $1.50 & 50 servings of stevia was $4.00.

I am looking for a sugar replacement that is safe as far as chemicals & food are
concerned. Damn I love me honey just wish it had no calories. Thanks for your time.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   

gspat

The thing is, you don't really have to "replace" sugar. The sweet tooth everyone has is from eating the foods available. I've visited a few parts of the world and every time I get acclimated to the food in different regions, I come home thinking "wtf is this?" every time I eat, which lasts for a couple weeks.

I've been in places where it was a bland diet for an extended period. My tongue was on fire from all the salt.
Places that have no added sugars "natural" or otherwise. Everything tasted like candy. Even bread…

Simply altering your diet will change your palate.

Food for thought.
edit on 13-2-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by thepolish1

Even as healthy as I try to be, I do not use margarine...it has to be butter. One thing I
find hard to believe is how our ancestors were not fatter than hell! REALLY...

They ate so much bloody fat, meat every day (& not lean), grains, LARD & etc...
Even today if we ate like them I'm not so sure we would still be lean like them
due to no gathering & hunting just sitting on our butts.

But it would be interesting to see a new Reality TV show challenge how the old way
of eating verses how people eat today with all the processed food!

Cheers
Ektar

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join