It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prophetic warning about sugar in 1972 was suppressed.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Ektar

Hunter gatherers didn't eat grains. Grains came with agriculture. Grains get converted to sugar and then consumed by the body.

Their diet was very low carb. They existed, essentially, in a state of ketosis where your body converts fat into energy instead of carbohydrates to energy. High fat, Low carb (under 25g of carbs a day) and you will lose weight. I lost 8kgs in as many weeks just by eating high fat low carb.
edit on 13-2-2014 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by thepolish1

We use real butter for everything, unsalted.

Salt is my weakness, too, but we use herbs and spices more than salt to flavor food.

I can taste the difference between butter and margarine when they're used even in baking.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Ektar

I tolerate splenda well. Who knows if there are long term negative effects. Like Boncho mentioned....the less sweet you eat, the less you want. Grains, corn, potato, carrot, beet, rice...all have natural sweetness (but are high carbohydrate/empty calories). Still...carrot is better than sugar.

if you are doing calorie restriction, itll work long term. For me, carbohydrates are processed poorly, and have to be eliminated.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I try to limit my intake of sugar and salt in my diet. Though I do crave the hot and spicy foods all the time. I do occasionally eat my SHTF stock from time to time, but that is to rotate it, rather than to just throw it away.

But there are times where I feel light headed and slightly nauseated. I find that a small handful of Dark Chocolate makes me better quite fast. The Docs have ruled out diabetes. Just a low blood sugar count.

But I have noticed that since cutting out starchy foods, this happens more often than before.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Problem would resolve itself if you adhered strictly to a ketogenic diet. It sounds like you aren't eating enough sugar...the body will function properly only with a full carb diet or a zero carb diet. That middle ground is where you feel sick.

You should try it....it was a revelation for me...yet here I am back on the carbs....but I so very miss the keto diet!!!

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Sugar is really bad. I didn't notice any thing with sugar positive or negative my whole life. Then... I joined the Army. In basic training you don't get a lot of sugar. The only thing I can think of is the power aid they give you, or if you get candy in MREs. They encouraged us not to eat any of that though because I was at FT Benning. By encouraged I mean NO one ate any..

One day as I was going through the line and I saw the coke machine. It looked like a million bucks. Scanning quickly I noticed I wasn't being watched by any DS. I got half a cup of it. And drank it all down. I felt SICK.. My energy sucked the whole day too. Later as I was being discharged I noticed the food truck was coming with large pieces of cake on board. Something I hadn't seen in Basic. I ate some and felt really sick again...

To this day I can't eat sugar because it feels sickly. My body reacts to sugar the same way as the byproducts of alcohol.. I mean it feels the same. It's like a hot dehydrated sick feeling.

As someone who has had addictions I would call sugar a drug. I quit smoking but it took 3 years to do it. quiting sugar is really easy, but you'll notice if you do that a lot of things have sugar in them. Food feels good when you eat it. Sugar feels yucky. It only takes a few days to get back into eating sugar btw, and probably about 20 days to stop again.

Just for energy alone people should lower the sugar intake. That's the main difference I have noticed.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

I try to eat low carbs & low calorie...I am afraid to do the fats because I
think I'm fat...I need to lose 20 lbs by the end of March (gained during & post surgery)
Thank you!

BFFT

Thanks for your response as I had no clue Splenda was in the running.
Have you tried the others I mentioned besides the xylitol? If so I guess you like
Splenda the best over Stevia? Is one better than the other? Thank you for your
time.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
These days, I find that if I start craving anything, it's fat. I'll get a burrito bowl for lunch and get a chunk of pork fat, and all of a sudden ... it's all I want - pork fat, beef fat, bacon fat ...

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Yeah, I also heard that sugar is really addictive but we eat it so often that we don't consider it as a problem and it also has so less of health side effects .

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Ektar

Ketogenic Diet puts your body in a state of Ketosis where it converts fat/proteins into ketone bodies which are then used to fuel the body:

Ketone bodies are three different water-soluble, biochemicals that are produced by the liver from fatty acids during periods of low food intake (fasting) and starvation for cells of the body to use as energy instead of glucose. Two of the three are used as a source of energy in the heart and brain while the third (acetone) is a degradation breakdown product of acetoacetic acid. Radioactive tracing of acetone determines that between 2% and 30% is excreted from the body. Ketone bodies are picked up by cells and converted back into acetyl-CoA which then enters the citric acid cycle and electron transport chain for energy. In the brain ketone bodies are also used to make Acetyl CoA into long chain fatty acids because long chain fatty acids cannot pass through the blood brain barrier. The liver breaks down protein to produce glucose during starvation for the very few glucose obligate cells that cannot use ketone bodies.[1][2] In the brain, ketone bodies are a vital source of energy during fasting or strenuous exercise.[3] Although termed "bodies", they are molecules, not particles.
The three endogenous ketone bodies are acetone, acetoacetic acid, and beta-hydroxybutyric acid.[4] Other ketone bodies such as beta-ketopentanoate and beta-hydroxypentanoate may be created as a result of the metabolism of synthetic triglycerides such as triheptanoin.

In order to put your body in a state of Ketosis you need to STRICTLY stay away from carbohydrates, no more than 25g of carbs per day...and trust me..THEY ARE HIDDEN EVERYWHERE. After several days you will eventually start producing ketone bodies which, as mentioned above, is your body converting eaten proteins and fats into energy.

The greatest aspect of this diet is if you fast your body is already in the best mode to deal with fasting and it will immediately start consuming your stored fat reserves.

I know eating fat is scary but that's because you are brainwashed into thinking it is unhealthy...when in fact the truth is that Fats and cholesterol (whether good or 'bad') are VITAL for your body's systems. The only reason cholesterol is deemed 'bad' is because SUGAR causes your arteries to swell and then contract, which causes scarring, and then any cholesterol travelling through your blood stream catches, and continues to get caught, on this scarred arterial tissue eventually causing a blockage which then causes heart complications.

Doctors address the problem...not the cause...because it is easier and more financially rewarding to prescribe someone heart medicine made by BIG PHARMA than to change 12,000 years of bad eating habits.

Oh, and absolutely stay with low caloric diet too....combined with zero carb high fat, and good amounts of exercise, and you are on a winning weight loss plan. And your skin will feel amazing too, you think quicker, and surprisingly feel fuller quicker.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Ektar

some people tolerate stevia/polyols better than others. If you wanna read some hilarious polyol horror stories, check out Haribo's Sugar Free Gummy Bears reviews on Amazon.

The key with sugar alcohol (polyols, such as stevia/erythritol, xylitol, sorbitol, etc) is that they will draw out water from tissue. So in your intestine...this means you can get cramps and spend some time crying on the toilet. It is fine to do in moderate doses. But more than a tablespoon/2 hr period for me....can be trying. LOL. If you tolerate it better, feel free to ingest to your own tolerance level.

The benefit of it drawing water from tissue: it makes stuff chewy when used in moderation. Like the chewy corners of brownies.
Google "Bigfatfurrytexan Low Carb" and you will likely run across a few recipes on my blog, and a fairly detailed breakdown of the world of polyols.

To add to what lightassassin said....you can easily drop 20lbs in 6 weeks switching from calorie restriction to carb restriction. You will pee A LOT as your body releases the water needed to move sugars through the body (water follows salt and it follows sugar...a key to lowering blood pressure and helping congestive heart failure and edema). BUt after 2 or 3 days, it will level off. You will still have to go a little more frequently, but not that bad.

You can buy strips at the drug store to detect ketones in your urine. Follow the directions exactly to get as accurate a result as possible. They are meant to detect signs of ketoacidosis, a deadly condition usually associated with a catastrophic and acute diabetic state. Since you are measuring ketones on a grossly lower scale, your detection will barely be on the bottom end of the reagent strip. But after about 2 months, you will be a fat burning machine.

Do what you feel you will be able to follow through with. If low carb/paleo eating isn't for you, then you won't stick with it.
Just do what feels right (even if that means carrying a few extra pounds).

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

oh yeah...erythritol (but not other polyols) can actually fight tooth decay. Beyond the starving of sugar, it actively aids in tooth health. when i put braces on my youngest, his dentist was all excited because we don't do sugar, and use erythritol.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by Ektar

Do what you feel you will be able to follow through with. If low carb/paleo eating isn't for you, then you won't stick with it.
Just do what feels right (even if that means carrying a few extra pounds).

Hear! Hear!

Exactly....and doing the ketogenic diet wrong will result in weight gain and unhealthy living. What the big furry texan dude said!!! Do what feels right...and exercise.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
sugar thats the ****!

i found xylitol made from birch trees to be very good
no tooth decay acids produced
which feels a little bit wierd for the first couple of uses then that feeling disappears
a bit expensive...
IMHO well worth it though

ps
i found living at 68 deg F with a sweater on seems to just vanish lbs
edit on 13-2-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Thanks for your response. Which is better Atkins, Paleo, ketogenic? Will I gain
before I lose? I haven't changed my diet & as you & BFFt saw I wasn't really
consuming alot of calories or carbs.

BFFT Thanks for the info on the sweets. I was dodging them based on
not wanting to consume chemicals only natural sweets. However you changed me mind
cause if I want something sweet I should be able to have a wee bit.

We all hear FAT makes you FAT. I lost 70 lbs a yr before the surgery & not in a
healthy way...anxiety & panic attacks so I could not eat. However I ended up
with the perfect weigh & perfect BMI & felt the best I have ever felt. I am
trying to get back to that & into my clothes after surgery, plus seeing a mate
after 30 yrs & we are both single...not that will go any where...but?

Any way to stay on point I can see sugar as being extremely addictive
cause even when you leave it you still crave it to a certain point. I wish
everything we consume could be healthy! (surgery a total hip replacement)

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Ektar

But it would be interesting to see a new Reality TV show challenge how the old way
of eating verses how people eat today with all the processed food!

This documentary gets close:

edit on 13-2-2014 by LewsTherinThelamon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ektar

All very similar to be honest...but from what I understand the Paleo diet has to be carefully done because they tell you to eat fruits....but fruit sugars are still sugars and still affect the body in that manner and therefore can put your carb count higher than you realise. But still...fruits are better than processed sugars...but aren't low carb and if you get carried away then it may impact negatively on your aims.

Also, be sure to get into making bone broth. It's a fantastic way to make stocks and also ensure the best use of all left-overs...and the minerals and vitamins you get from reducing marrow, bone and joint cartilage (natural glucosamine) is far more readily taken up by your body than in pill/tablet form.

And no, you should definitely not gain weight before you lose it.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Ektar

I am afraid to do the fats because I think I'm fat

Fats do not make you fat.

Carbs, starches, glutens, and sugars do.

This age old myth that's been drilled into our brains for the past 60+ years that fat is bad for you is not only a myth, it's bad science.

Fat converts to energy that easily burns up with regular day to day activities. Carbs, glutens, and sugars on the other hand, convert to excessive amounts (excessive meaning an unnecessary abundance) of fructose and glucose that store in the body for later use should the body need it... this is the body's natural defense mechanism of "stocking" up on potentially needed energy during times of famine (like winter) going all the way back to our caveman days. But we no longer live in a world where we are needing to store these excessive amounts of future-use energies into our bodies anymore. Nor do we work off any excess by the type modern day lives we live now either. So now, we're just a bunch of fat people walking around inhaling ridiculous amounts of carbs and sugars on a daily basis.

And yes, fats also store in the body for later use... but the body will choose to burn that energy conversion first before it will then burn the carb/gluten/sugar energy conversions. And THAT is where the problem lies. Anything that sticks around too long will eventually make a permanent home in the body by way of, for example, plaque build up in the arteries or fatty deposits in other parts of the body and organs.

The ugly truth is that damn near every modern day meal we eat has either carbs, starches, glutens, or sugars (or all of the above) in them. None of these things are that bad for us in moderation per se... However, it's no longer "in moderation" anymore because the foods we buy in the stores nowadays are literally inundated with nothing but !

You gals want to lose weight ?

Probiotics.

Why ? Because a properly balanced gut (more good flora, less bad flora - a ratio of at least 80/20) will literally decrease your carb/salt/sugar cravings (which is what bad flora like Candida feed off of). Not only that, but your appetite will decrease as well because your body is no longer stock piling those converted sugars, it's now instead, actually using the converted energy as you take it in.

And no, Activia yogurt is not going to give you the right amount of probiotics you need to get your gut back into balance. You need to take a probiotic supplement that has a minimum of at least 10 different strains and at least 10 - 20 billion active cultures (40 - 50 billion being ideal, but much more expensive).

The good news with taking a good quality probiotic supplement ? You have no need to drastically alter your diet or give up your favourite foods... because the probiotics (once your gut is back in balance) will continue to maintain that proper balance combatting most of the garbage you put into your stomach, thus reducing the chances of Candida overgrowth happening again. However, a healthy diet and regular exercise side by side with probiotic supplements is pretty much a no-brainer... but you get the idea.

So why are we now having to take probiotic supplements today that we didn't 70 years ago ?? Because of the damn crap that's in our foods now that wasn't there before !

Early common symptoms of a bad flora (ie: Candida) overgrowth in the gut:

- Chronic fatigue
- Brain fog
- Forgetfullness
- Mood swings (especially bouts of depression)
- Dry, itchy skin
- Brittle nails and hair
- Constant hunger
- Constant cravings for carbs, sugars, or salt
- Regular bouts of diarrhea and/or constipation, irregular bowel movements
- Stomach cramps after eating
- Bloating and/or gas after eating
- Chronic headaches
- Erratic blood sugar fluctuations
- Sudden development of food sensitivities
- Sudden development of allergies
- Sensitivity to temperatures (hot or cold)
- Chronic bladder infections
- Chronic yeast infections
- Catching colds and flus too easily (a compromised immune system)
- Excessive belly fat and/or other sudden weight gain that won't come off

Later (and more serious) symptoms that can result from Candida overgrowth in the gut:

- Arthritis
- Thyroid problems (hyper or hypo)
- Eczema
- Psoriasis
- Lupus
- B12 deficiency (which leads to Pernicius anemia)
- Iron deficiency (another form of anemia)
- Folic acid deficiency
- Vitamin D deficiency
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Hypoglycemia
- Diabetes
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Fibromyalgia
- Crohn's Disease
- Celiac Disease

... and many other autoimmune diseases/disorders

The majority of our health (be it good or bad) literally comes from our gut !!

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:42 AM
link   
So guys, what do you think of my situation:

I'm almost a 26 year old male, never had any weight issues and I train between 2 and 4 hours of athletic tennis 5 days a week (though I don't consider myself an athlete, my main objective for this year is to become one, a top athlete actually). One of the must difficult obstacles I have in reaching my objective is junk food, Im eating potato chips and crap like that about 4 nights a week, that certainly can't be healthy, and I dip my potato chips on ketchup. Im also quite addicted to coca cola, Im drinking about 1 litre each night of the week!

Would you guys say Im in high risk of developing diabetes later in my life? Or does my active life style somehow negates the effects of all the sugar Im consuming? Should I be making a priority in my life to fight against my addiction to coca-cola and junk food?

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   

For many people ketosis, and very low carb high fat diets work well, but some people cannot tolerate high fat. There are certain genetic snp's that can effect fat metabolism. For instance:

Framingham offspring study

Specifically, we have examined the interaction between the APOA5-1131T>C and 56C>G (S19W) polymorphisms and the macronutrient intake (total fat, carbohydrate, and protein) in their relation to the body mass index (BMI) and obesity risk in 1,073 men and 1,207 women participating in the Framingham Offspring Study. We found a consistent and statistically significant interaction between the -1131T>C single-nucleotide polymorphism (SNP; but not the 56C>G) and total fat intake for BMI.

In conclusion, the APOA5-1131T>C SNP, which is present in approximately 13% of this population, modulates the effect of fat intake on BMI and obesity risk in both men and women.

On the other side of the spectrum people with a different genetic variant thrive on a high fat low carb diet:

www.medpagetoday.com...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join