It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats your fav sci-fi movie..

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Wow you guys have great taste...so many good ones listed here for anyone not familiar to the genre....most of my favorites have been listed but im going to add The Day the Earth Stood Still...but the old old version.....I love that movie and I think it was done so well even though its old school cheesy sometimes.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
For me it's Aliens.
Tension, horror, quotes, characters, everything you want in a sci-fi/war/horror film.

Close behind that would be The Thing (John Carpenters Version)

edit on 2014pAmerica/Chicago2802ppm by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Actually, Surrogates with Bruce Willis isn't bad.
edit on 9-2-2014 by Flatcoat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I like screamers

Robocop too and pretty much all mentioned before

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
All the Star Wars for me.

But I have a soft spot for Independence Day, something about Bill Pullmans speech, gives me goosebumps, epic!

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by Hoosierdaddy71

Don't get me started. I can quote the whole thing ... kind of like some people can do Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

"Wait till Biggus Dickus hears of this!"

Sorry had too!

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I can't believe no one mentioned Star Wars or Star Trek, the two Sci-fi Movie Titans. One gem I can't find anywhere is a movie with Tom Selleck and in it there was a gun that had bullets which would chase you until they hit you. Some other good ones are:

AI
Minority Report
Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy
DragonSlayer
The Last Starfighter
Independence Day
Scanners with Jack Nicholson
The Black Hole
Them
www.youtube.com...

These are from the top of my head. I'll come back when I think of some more.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

zatara

Hoosierdaddy71
The classics are my favorites
The war of the worlds and the time machine. The originals not the crappy remakes.
Day the earth stood still, old one again.
When worlds collide.
The thing. Can't go wrong with either the new or old version.
Anything sci if filmed in black and white gets my attention.
edit on 9-2-2014 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: (no reason given)

Why the old ones..? The new ones have the CGI and big budget decors. Maybe it is something nostalgic?

Nostalgia might be part of it but not the main reason.
The remakes don't improve the originals, they only try to copy them. You don't try to paint the Mona Lisa again you use it as inspiration to make something else great. The thing is different. They made a whole new story out of that one.
I do like newer movies as well though as long as they have a good sci fi story and don't rely just on cgi.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

There are so many good ones to choose from, but my favorite sci-fi movie of all time has to be "An Inconvenient Truth."

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

Oh, I love all of those, but my favorites are Alien and Aliens.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

OptimusSubprime
reply to post by zatara

There are so many good ones to choose from, but my favorite sci-fi movie of all time has to be "An Inconvenient Truth."

But then there's The Day After Tomorrow. It's demonstrations are so much better. I mean the Global Warming actually chases people!

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
By all means I must say , Dark City.
This movie presented itself almost as strange and surreal as a science fiction dream.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Yeah, I love Alien and Aliens too but someone already listed those. I wanted to pick some good one's that hadn't been mentioned. It's hard to say which is better between those two.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Jason and the Argonauts

Evil Dead 1 or 2

Even though, I'm not sure you can consider these sci-fi.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
2004"s "The Forgotten" starring Julianne Moore & Dominic West, Gary Sinise. Great movie. IMHO, if we have alien overlords, this is how they would be. Damn evil, vs damn good. We would be no more than domesticated cattle.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I can't believe nobody mentioned T2 - the Sci Fi Action movie that all other Sci Fi Action movies are measured against!

And Star Trek 2008

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

Oh man...

Let me see...

Obviously first on the list is Star Wars (what prequels?)

Next would have to be a more modern film adapted from the novel of the same title: Cloud Atlas. Is you Have yet to see it do yourself a huge favor and watch it like RIGHT NOW! Please...

*ahem*

Okay so next on my list I have to go with BTTF (Back to the Future, for the non-nerds) the first was epic; while the second was good a feel the third is worthy of a hearty meh.

Bladerunner. Cyberpunk at its finest. Not much to say about this one aside from: I WANT MORE LIFE!

Raiders of the lost Ark, temple of doom, last crusade. Eff you Archaeology is a science.

Hitchhiker's guide. The movie was great but if you get the chance check out the old t.v. show.

Hmmm...

Ghost in the Shell. Easily one of the best feature length anime films. While I'm on anime: Akira. Nothing short of perfection.

Jeez do I want to go on?

Alien and Aliens. Just yes.

Oh man, if you haven't seen it Equilibrium with Christian Bale, great film. Gun-fu mastery in a distopian setting.

Okay...

That's enough.

Kallisti

edit on Cpm11Sunday3020144228Sun, 09 Feb 2014 23:30:42 -06002014 by CagliostroTheGreat because: stupid phone

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Cube (1997)

There's a few more that were made later.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

Sci-fi movies worthwhile to watch that haven't been mentioned yet (just off the top of my head):

Mad Max
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Minority Report
Mission To Mars
Serenity
Battlefield Earth
Gattaca
Titan AE
Contact
The Fifth Element
Bicentennial Man
Pitch Black
Chronicles of Riddick
Riddick
Silent Running
Logan's Run
Solaris
The Quiet Earth
Soylent Green
Children of Men
Soldier
Enemy Mine
Outlander
Outland
Leviathan
The Abyss
Stargate
Oblivion
12 Monkeys
Sunshine
Equilibrium
Aeon Flux

... those should keep you busy for a while

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Cuervo
reply to post by zatara

Off the top of my head, it would be the FireFly series. There is a movie they made after the series got cancelled called Serenity. It's stand-alone enough to watch without the series but, if you ever plan on watching FireFly (WHICH YOU SHOULD BECAUSE IT'S AWESOME), you may want to watch the movie last.

Actually, the pilot episode of FireFly is about feature length so there ya go!

Considering the amount of stars you received for your comment on FireFly ...... and of course because I take your word for it, I will track FireFly down and watch it.

Thanks for your input Cue..

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join