It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats your fav sci-fi movie..

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Thanks for your reply but...

Any top...lets say...three ...in there?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by xDeadcowx

Yep..Event Horizon is also one of my favorite. Pandorum I also can appreciate...

THx

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

lostbook
One gem I can't find anywhere is a movie with Tom Selleck and in it there was a gun that had bullets which would chase you until they hit you.

Runaway

" In the near future, a police officer specializes in malfunctioning robots. When a robot turns out to have been programmed to kill, he begins to uncover a homicidal plot to create killer robots... and his son becomes a target. Director: Michael Crichton Writer: Michael Crichton Stars: Tom Selleck, Cynthia Rhodes, Gene Simmons "

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
FWIW, I watched Europa Report this weekend and really enjoyed it. Nice little scifi flick there...

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

gortex
reply to post by zatara

Blade Runner , great story , great cast ...great film

I have to agree, Blade Runner is number 1

Followed closely by 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Both these movies involve the effects work of genius (inventor of IMAX) Douglas Trumbell.

I have to mention my 3rd place Sci-Fi favourite: They Live. Funny how everything went wrong for Carpenter as a filmmaker after this - the most anti-establishment movie of all time - not that i'm suggesting a conspiracy

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
wow, i'm surprised nobody ever mentioned Dune, based on a book by Frank Herbert..
Dune Messiah and Children of Dune were pretty good adaptations too.
maybe they're not as popular to be in the top 3 list, but i can certainly include them in my top 10.

any movie adaptation of Isaac Asimov's or Philip Dick's sci-fi is really good too.

i prefer to watch sci-fi movies based on books.. american sci-fi authors are really amazing, the best in their genre.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The Terminator
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Back To The Future
Donnie Darko
Jurassic Park

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

From the list I gave you, the top three for me would be:

Soldier

Outlander

Contact

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Nobody has mentioned Starship trooper ? I thought that was more then worthy for the hall of fame

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by CagliostroTheGreat

Yeah, I know...when you get started there are many sci-fi movies sharing first place. Some ATS-members say.."why did nobody mention...this one". I guess this thread needed to grow a little longer before that one was mentioned...

We live in a great time for sci-fi movies. A special effects worker said in an interview that with the computer technology of today any fantasy is possible to create on the screen. I remember one director say he did hold on a filmstory to be made until the technology was there to make it happen on the screen. I guess that time has arrived..I forgot what film he was talking about.

That is a strange thought if you think of it... If anything is possible and CGI is not to be distinguished from real what can be new? What special effect can surprise the audiance, if you understand what I am saying.

Maybe the next step will be toward holographic movies? A movie in where you can stand next to the actor and be in or part of the movie as some kind of an observer? 3d is a step into that direction I guess.

Btw..I haven't seen Kallisti yet...any good?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
It's an acquired taste....

"Liquid Sky"

www.youtube.com...

Or perhaps this classic...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Not my fav sci-fi film, as that honour goes to Blade Runner, but Close Encounters of the Third Kind is almost joint first.

And I can't believe that this is the first name check it gets on this thread.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

Hands down Blade Runner is the best Sci-fi flick of all time. I can't wait for the sequel. We're all replicants anyway you look at it. Priss was a bad ass pleasure unit. All women should be like her

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I can’t believe no one mentioned “They Live”! Awesome flick!

Link

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

tomoe723
wow, i'm surprised nobody ever mentioned Dune, based on a book by Frank Herbert..
Dune Messiah and Children of Dune were pretty good adaptations too.
maybe they're not as popular to be in the top 3 list, but i can certainly include them in my top 10.

any movie adaptation of Isaac Asimov's or Philip Dick's sci-fi is really good too.

i prefer to watch sci-fi movies based on books.. american sci-fi authors are really amazing, the best in their genre.

Dune, yes. Go with the miniseries (2000).

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I agree with someone elses pick of Moon, very worthy film even if not an action film.

My older favorite sci-fi's are

The Thing
Star Wars
Aliens
Starman (no action though)
The Original Terminator
Predator: Arnie in the jungle taking on a Predator, what's not to love?

My semi-newer favorites

5th Element, it's campy fun

Moon: too great of a movie to not see once. It is moving, scary, sad the acting was perfect, the directing was perfect.

Pandorum: this movie is a few years old but I just recently watched it for the first time. I loved it, creepy and suspensful. Might be more of the horror genre though.

The War Of The Worlds

I almost forgot Planet Of The Apes (original) one of the best sci-fi films, definitely a favorite.
edit on 10-2-2014 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I watched your trailer and Liquid sky is a little too much for me..a bit much avant-garde. Maybe the 1927 movie "The Love of Zero" is something for you too.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Gattaca

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Tetsuo
Pi
Monsters
Ghosts of the Civil Dead.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara