It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To "celebrate" Black history month, school planned on serving fried chicken, cornbread and waterme

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

kaylaluv
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

Those are all countries. What country is called "Black"? And is fried chicken, cornbread and watermelon the national food of this country called "Black"?

Maybe the kids should also celebrate "Hillbillie Day", where they drink moonshine and eat roadkill stew during lunch. That is what all hillbillies eat and drink, right? I think I read that somewhere.

A white American's proud heritage.

Moonshine is illegal to kids underage, and I don't think there is a nonalcoholic version.

However, I think what you're looking for would be squirrel or maybe opossum.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
It's funny how people have been conditioned to believe that "fried chicken + black people = insult" ... it's just collectively accepted as fact. Why? The history of the origins as to why that combination is insulting is lost to me and generations that came after mine. One might as well say "iced tea + tall people = insult" because it makes about as much sense.

As for these kids who organized the menu I don't think they were trying to be hateful or disrespectful. They probably did a Google search on "What do black Americans eat" just as they would have searched something like "What do eskimos eat"

It's all so stupid, we should let black history month be absorbed into year round American history classes. There's no way teachers or the school system would rub their hands together and laugh while thinking "Now we can just ignore historical people and events if they concerned Americans of African decent! Mo-ha-ha-ha!"

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

ketsuko

Moonshine is illegal to kids underage, and I don't think there is a nonalcoholic version.

However, I think what you're looking for would be squirrel or maybe opossum.

Well, I read somewhere that all hillbillies feed their babies Dr. Pepper in their bottles. So, maybe Dr. Pepper would be an acceptable substitute to moonshine. I think hillbillies would take advantage of any roadkill, so long as it was fairly recent.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Where'd you hear that? The coonhounds don't get any exercise that way.

Not to mention, you assume they all live next to roads.

I don't think you've ever been to the holler.
edit on 7-2-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I'd bet dollars to donuts that all the people who are "offended" in this thread are white people.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

You are probably right. White people that feel the need to go waaaaay out of their way to prove they are not racist.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

ketsuko

Where'd you hear that? The coonhounds don't get any exercise that way.

Not to mention, you assume they all live next to roads.

I don't think you've ever been to the holler.
edit on 7-2-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

Don't need to go the holler. Learned everything I need to know about hillbillies from watching "Deliverance" and "Texas Chain Saw Massacre." Oh and "Beverly Hillbillies".

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Wow!! Oh sensitive one. You are really insinuating that all white people's ancestors are hillbillies ? You really have not read anything we've posted have you ?
You really have the mindset of a racist. Here it is again. There is nothing wrong with celebrating a people with the food that they typically and publically eat. It is not stereotypical nor racist.
In Memphis you will be hard pressed to find a black person walking around without their pants down around their butts or a mouth without gold teeth in it. That is not a racist stereotype, it stating what is typical. It is typical among black households to eat these things and there is nothing wrong nor racist nor stereotypical about it. I worked for the telephone company for years and went into thousands of homes over the years. YES it is typical to see fried chicken and greens in a black person's home. But it is also typical in my home. NO RACISM HERE, move along

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Hillbillies survived on what they could kill. Whatever nature had provided them. Pretty self relient group. Ever heard of the "battle of kings mountain".

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

overanocean
reply to post by ketsuko

Hillbillies survived on what they could kill. Whatever nature had provided them. Pretty self relient group. Ever heard of the "battle of kings mountain".

Hillbillies also have no teeth, they love to run meth labs, and they all have incestuous relations with their siblings and parents. These are well-known facts.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

I'm not black and I love greens of any type. I have a nice recipe for them in my binder. They're one of the cheapest veggies you can buy at $0.50/bunch, and they taste much better than cooked spinach.

Do share....I better not cook them when my black friends are over though, they could call me a racist.... (eyes rolling....sorry new emotes SUUUUUCK!!!)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I get it.

Remember the big hoo hah when Tiger Woods won his first Masters and Fuzzy Zoeller asked him if they were having fried chicken or collards at the dinner? It was a bad, insensitive unfunny 'joke' that cost him and rightly so IMO.

Depending upon context and intent, you damn right fried chicken and/or watermelon references can be construed as baiting and insulting. This was a good teachable moment. I don't think the kids in this story could be held at fault. The adults should've known better.

Not every chicken and watermelon reference is racist. And not every reference is innocent.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Once again people that have no idea what it's like to be truly offended and outraged are raging at this utter non-issue.

Yes yes yes. I know fried chicken, cornbread and watermelon was a common stereotype in the past. That's right. In the past. This so called stereotype was absurd to begin with. I would guesstimate that a vast majority of the worlds population would enjoy a fried chicken-cornbread-watermelon meal. It's just food for gods sake.

There is a way to put this nonsense in the past. Feast on the fried chicken, cornbread and watermelon. The stereotype will defeat itself if people ate this stuff without thinking about such nonsense. You get whites, blacks, yellows, browns and every other color in the spectrum to appreciate the meal for what it is and the stereotype fades away in time. This is how people can defeat these silly stereotypes. Don't shun them. Own them. It doesn't matter what ethnicity you are. Partake in the stereotype with other cultures. Lots of them. Defeat it by making it a non-issue. It's so simple yet apparently so difficult for some people.

I applaud whomever thought of this homage. They tried to change a negative "racial" stereotype involving black history into a positive social activity during a lunch with a cuisine that has its roots in African-Americans living in the South. A great way to begin to heal the wounds of the past. Too bad there were so many phonies crying wolf over hurt feelings they never experienced.

The irony is not lost on my either. The school is now going to stage a "diversity assembly" to try to bring people together when this very thing they opposed would have done just that. Imagine all the schoolgirls sitting down to their fried chicken-cornbread-watermelon lunch ---- having a good time, making new friends, studying for their next class, wasting time on their gadgets.....enjoying the food ---- all without the sky having fallen!!!

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

You are being childish and ridiculous. I see the point you are trying to push but that point has no bearing here.
Nobody here is attacking or degrading black people here.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by My_Reality

Maybe the girls could also hang nooses up all around the cafeteria. It was a real part of black peoples' history to be lynched, so what's wrong with it? Just embrace it, right?

If you had looked at some of the images and read some of the references I included in a previous post, you would see the negative connotations in history regarding blacks eating watermelon. I'm sure some blacks eat watermelon (although I am pretty sure there are also some who don't), but they probably don't want an official "blacks are associated with watermelon" message, especially when the past messages weren't very complementary.

Is this a HUGE deal? No, but I think the school was right to apologize for any unintended offense, and this is a good learning opportunity for the students. Now time to move on.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Wow, such hatred. Let it go. It is people like you that is keeping racism alive. Yes bad things happened in the past, but that is the past and has no bearing on this discussion. LET it go.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

overanocean
reply to post by ketsuko

I understand this perfectly fine.

I wanted to see how far kayla would go to try to offend.

It's like the time I had a dumb blonde joke contest with the manager of the Sonic I had a job at in high school. With both of us being blonde, we each bet the other we had heard them all. It took over an hour for us to run out of material.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Greetings and Peace to all.

Ketsuko

Well, it would be more authenticly African to serve Ethiopian or something of that nature.

The word Ethiopian and even African, is not "authenticly""African". That's how little we know of the history before history.
The sad part about this is, the people are actually still there. But I think we [westerners] have a thing for calling people names that they do not call themselves.

For the most part of your post I agree. When I posted my first bit of cents, I was trying to convey and deliver an honest opinion from a different angle. I honestly don't know how we arrived into ethiopia. There are Hundreds of other nations we could talk about.

but then are you arguing that American blacks ought to ditch it in favor of more African centered learning?

I honestly can say that the "western" world could ditch the present uses-uses-abuse-abuse-use-exhaust mentality to a more natural way that was "in harmony with the universe/earth". Some how people seem to achieve more with so little, and did no harm in the process. What I am arguing is the whole entire "new world" should marvel at "Africa's" achievements and feats the same way the "old world" did.
America(North/South) in all its splendor can not replace any of which it has destroyed. Technology can't even save the day!
Research.

Those things are creations of the African-Americans who were brought here as slaves and created their own culture.

I truly agree with this statement. But first open your mind. I believe racism is deep people rarely even recognize it. Like is it possible for "African-Americans" to have arrived anywhere in the "new" world by any way other than the slave trade? We have records in the western world of more than a few accounts, and we have access to African records that speaks volumes about the "new" world. I mean the incans traveled all the way to Canada!! But the good ol Africans did NOT!! Even though we have records to support the contrary, we still have people walking around talking about the slave trade which is like a nano second compared to a dozen of "Great Years" of African history.

Peace to all.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Had they just called it "Soul Food," nobody would have any problem with it. Some people are very touchy.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

kaylaluv

overanocean
reply to post by ketsuko

Hillbillies also have no teeth, they love to run meth labs, and they all have incestuous relations with their siblings and parents. These are well-known facts.

No, I think you are starting to confuse hillbillies with trailer trash - two very different crowds there. It's the trailer trash crowd that runs the meth labs. Both have no teeth, but for different reasons (if you're a hillbilly, getting to a dentist isn't always easy). And the whole inbreeding thing is more a product of isolation and isn't just found in the holler but in other isolated communities in the US.

But that's what happens when you start reaching for stereotypes.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join