It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To "celebrate" Black history month, school planned on serving fried chicken, cornbread and waterme

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

ketsuko

duesprimusvictorimmortali
reply to post by ketsuko

It's not inherently offensive that they decided to serve this for lunch. It that they decided this was for black people.

Like the one poster said, this is soul food. If they researched Soul Food ... this might be what they got.

I don't see watermelon on that list, do you?

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I wonder if the script was flipped and an African American school decided to serve "white people food" what it would be?

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

You see the problem is blacks are not some type of wild animal that you have to research what they eat. Just serve normal food.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

reply to post by Christian Voice

It's not inherently offensive that they decided to serve this for lunch. Its that they decided this was for black people.
edit on 7-2-2014 by duesprimusvictorimmortali because: (no reason given)

This is exactly the point.
The problem is not the food, but saying that those foods are for black people.

It is an IGNORANT stereotype that many people find highly offensive.

I remember once a friend of mine (black guy from Miami) asked me, "hey, why do so many white guys like cheese so much?" I was taken back by it for a second and I looked at my other buddy (a black guy from Tennessee) and smiled. To which he said "don't do it." Haha. So I go, "I dunno man, but why do so many black guys like fried chicken and watermelon?"

Of course I was just teasing him the same way he teased me about cheese, but he didn't find that crap funny AT ALL.

Also, he was from MIAMI. They have an entirely different cuisine!

Whatever. Point is that it is highly offensive to many people. The idiots at the school should have known better.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

JayinAR
reply to post by kaylaluv

The thing is that in the non-coastal Southern climates, like here in Arkansas for example, watermelon is a very easy fruit to grow. Apples, cherries, and a few others can also be grown, but Tue watermelon is a hearty fruit that grows easily and feeds a lot of folks.
Again, people of all sorts eat it here and, at least in my part of the world, it isn't associated with race at all. I LOVE watermelon, especially with salt. Mmmm

Sure, in the days of slavery and even up in to modern times people acted racist, but believe it or not those ideals ARE dying. Even here in places like Arkansas. My generation was the first one around these parts to shun bigotry by and large.

Its dumb.

It was insensitive to include watermelon as specifically a "black" thing. Sure, serving watermelon on a regular school day is no big deal, many of us love watermelon. But to include it on the "black day" menu was not cool, imho. Too many negative connotations from the past.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

reply to post by Christian Voice

It's not inherently offensive that they decided to serve this for lunch. Its that they decided this was for black people.

Home of the brave, and the land of the "perpetually offend."
from sea to shining sea.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

MystikMushroom
I wonder if the script was flipped and an African American school decided to serve "white people food" what it would be?

Fried chicken watermelon and cornbread?

And BTW what's a "white people?"

European ?

White people around the world eat different things.
edit on 122828p://bFriday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I think the schools need to concentrate on teaching math, science...etc.

Culture and all that should be something celebrated by families and communities. I think its sad that our children have to celebrate their "cultures" at school.

If the schools stayed out of it we wouldn't have these problems.
edit on 7-2-2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Fried chicken and cornbread. MMMMMMM Oh man that sounds good.
Put some gravy on it and some okra on the side.
Skip the school watermelon and have some pie for dessert and we'd be all set.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Well I usually eat cornbread with ham hocks and beans.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Stormdancer777

MystikMushroom

Fried chicken watermelon and cornbread?

And BTW what's a "white people?"

European ?

White people around the world eat different things.

Exactly the point. Guess what - black people around the world eat different things as well. Probably having a "black history day" lunch wasn't such a good idea after all, was it.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
At first I thought the story was a joke. Maybe it isnt racist what it is stereotyping people. the same for many of the earlier posts about kool aid.

Now if they really wanted a menu celebrating africans the would need some ants on a stick, a bowl of milk with some warm cow blood mixed in and 5 lbs of whatever weeds they could scrounge up, have the kids beat it into a paste and make some pancake type food and cook on a hot rock. Now thats racist?

The fried chicken and watermelon menu was racist, I can be a racist bastard at times so I'm pretty it is

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

reply to post by ketsuko

The students made the final selection that was to be placed on the menu.

If you ask a 16 year old kid what foods represent the Italian culture, you would get spaghetti, pasta, chicken Parmesan etc.

If you ask a 16 year old kid what foods represent the Chinese culture, you would get sweet and sour chicken, lomein noodles and fortune cookies.

If you ask a 16 year old kid what foods represent the African American culture (rooted in the deep south), you would get fried chicken, cornbread and watermelon.

If you find any of these logical answers from a 16 year old kid "offensive" then one must ask why do you feel that way?

Offense occurs in the mind of the offended; not the mind of the one perceived as the offender; in this case 16 year old kids from California are the "offender" for your offense.

God Bless,
edit on 7-2-2014 by ElohimJD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

MystikMushroom

Pizza. That'd be my guess. But others say differently -

What is white people food?
What do you consider 'white people food'

Cheese. Casserole. Meatloaf. Mashed Potatoes.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

If you look for racism then that is what you will find. You can find it in anything.
Like I posted before, check out the soul food places in Memphis. It is very stereotypical and yes they do serve watermelon when it is in season.
If it were Italian history month, would it be offensive to serve Lasagna and garlic bread and cream soda ?
Don't be so sensitive.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ElohimJD

Which is why I use the word oblivious.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

"Chicken, watermelon, collard greens — these stereotypes of black Southern culture that come from the same place where the N-word comes from," he said.

That seems far fetched to relate the two,

Ruth Wilson, chair of the African-American Studies Department at San Jose State University, said the food isn't offensive, per se — in fact, fried chicken is an American mainstay, thanks in large part to Kentucky Fried Chicken's Colonel Sanders.

I call BS, people ate fried chicken before the Colonel

The reason this particular meal sparks bad feelings, she said, is because blackface-era cartoons and plays showed African-Americans eating these foods in ugly caricature depictions.

Not only that but they stereotyped rednecks too, do I hear crickets? Why yes, yes I do.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

sheepslayer247
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I think the schools need to concentrate on teaching math, science...etc.

Culture and all that should be something celebrated by families and communities. I think its sad that our children have to celebrate their "cultures" at school.

If the schools stayed out of it we wouldn't have these problems.
edit on 7-2-2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

But see, if the students had been taught about the history of blacks in America, and shown some of the racist images/songs/poems, etc. that depicted "simple" blacks being lazy and eating watermelon, I don't think they would have ever suggested watermelon for the lunch menu. That just comes from ignorance, not deliberate meanness.

I don't have a problem with not celebrating cultural holidays at school - Christmas, for example... But learning about other cultures is probably a good thing.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I cant believe i am even talking about this, I'm outta here.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Christian Voice

If you look for racism then that is what you will find. You can find it in anything.
Like I posted before, check out the soul food places in Memphis. It is very stereotypical and yes they do serve watermelon when it is in season.
If it were Italian history month, would it be offensive to serve Lasagna and garlic bread and cream soda ?
Don't be so sensitive.

I have been to a couple of soul food restaurants in Texas, and I have never seen watermelon on the menu, like it was a big soul food item.

No, it's not offensive to serve lasagna during Italian history month, because there is not a history of derogatory depictions of Italians eating lasagna.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join