To "celebrate" Black history month, school planned on serving fried chicken, cornbread and waterme

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Controversy Surrounds Lunch Menu at Concord High School.

Students at Carondelet High School for Girls in Concord wanted to come up with ways to celebrate Black History Month in a lunchtime celebration.

But when the Christian school announced a lunch of fried chicken, cornbread and watermelon, students and parents were outraged and offended.

The principal and dean of the school refused to talk to NBC Bay Area on Wednesday, but school officials held an assembly on campus to discuss the issue and sent an apology letter to parents.

According to the article, they are blaming the students but wouldnt there need to be some kind of adult involvement once the proposal moved into the planning/announcing stage?

I was a bit surprised that this occurred in a liberal stronghold like CA.

Whats next, the "ghetto olympics"?

edit on 7-2-2014 by gladtobehere because: wording

+17 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
That's not a black history lunch menu, that's a Sunday dinner. People are soooo sensitive these days.

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Who doesn't like fried chicken, cornbread and watermelon? Silly stereotypes. I went into k.f.c. the other day for lunch and it was all white people.
edit on 7-2-2014 by catfishjoe because: correct punctuation. got excited about eating fried chicken!

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Whats the big deal, Im a white man that eats more fried chicken ,black eyed peas, and cornbread than any black man alive.

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Not pointing a finger at you OP, but after myself reading a totally different article with a non biased spin, (they actually put up interviews of people on both side of the politically correct nonsense) I am just amazed at how reading one story from another perception of a news article can change a persons thought process.....

Here are a few snippets from the article I perused.

While many students felt bad about the announcement, some said our society is too sensitive.
“I understand like how it would offend people. But we’re just doing something to celebrate, not bring it down,” said Morgan Hartford, a junior at the school.
Gabby Simones, a junior at the school

Elizabeth Williams of the Contra Costa County Equal Opportunity Commission and a member of the NAACP had a different view. “What is the big deal?” Williams said. “Historically and even now, we like our chicken and I’m not going to stop eating my fried chicken, nor my cornbread, nor my watermelon.”

Source

Now the article you linked to just showed the current politically correct scene of total outrage. Notice how the link of the story I linked actually went with BOTH sides of the story?

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

"Students at Carondelet High School for Girls in Concord wanted to come up with ways to celebrate Black History Month in a lunchtime celebration."

The first paragraph kind of shows that it was the students idea. If the faculty were to say no, that would be racist, they say yes, it is also racist. This stuff will never end it seems.
Firepiston

+18 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
This is what happens when idiots try to pander to a politically-correct agenda or ideology.

How about we toss "black-history month" out the window and simply observe history as humans...black, white or whatever?

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Awesome! They forgot the collard greens though....Throw in some hot sauce and you got a party!

Why do people care about what food is considered "racist"?? I love these things to eat, but whatever give the kids peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and listen to the parents cry again....What a world we live in...

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Hey, these days even peanut butter and jelly is racially insensitive..

According to the Portland Tribune, Verenice Gutierrez, principal of Harvey Scott K-8 School, "picks up on the subtle language of racism" on a daily basis.

"Take the peanut butter sandwich, a seemingly innocent example a teacher used in a lesson last school year," the Tribune said.

“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” Gutierrez asked. “Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
That sounds like a great lunch to me. Why would anyone get upset? It will probably be considered the best lunch of the school year by the students...as long as it is real southern fried chicken and homemade cornbread. Their luck it will be store bought cornbread and boxed fried chicken that is heated in an oven....low cholesterol and low salt. EEEWWW.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

I'm not black and I love greens of any type. I have a nice recipe for them in my binder. They're one of the cheapest veggies you can buy at $0.50/bunch, and they taste much better than cooked spinach.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Oh, yeah, soak those chicken pieces up in seasoned buttermilk overnight and bread them in a nice, crispy, seasoned coating before you fry ... mmmm

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Shoot, that makes me hungry. I would love to join in on the celebration. I graduated from a school in Memphis TN and it was mostly all black. I and my best friend were the only two white people in my junior homeroom( I graduated as a junior), out of 32 people. Not a big deal to me. We had a reunion last year that a committee of all black people planned. They served fried chicken and greens and nobody questioned it. I don't see the issue here. People paying too much attention to ignorant stereotypes.
The food was great by the way.
Also if anyone has ever been to Memphis and eaten out, there are Soul Food places everywhere, all owned by black people. Awesome food. Heck Gus's Fried Chicken is very famous and has been on Dives Diners and Drive ins and Man vs Food and has awesome Fried Chicken and owned by a black man. I don't see the problem

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Man, people are TOO sensitive... Those foods are ALL delicious.

If Black people have any REAL beef towards "Black History Month" it's that they were given the shortest month of the year....lol

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Chrisfishenstein

Awesome! They forgot the collard greens though....Throw in some hot sauce and you got a party!

Why do people care about what food is considered "racist"?? I love these things to eat, but whatever give the kids peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and listen to the parents cry again....What a world we live in...

Don't forget to wash it down with some grape drink.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Couldnt agree more and its not just with this article/issue.

Its a common practice by corporate media or those with agendas (on both sides of an issue).

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Where are the chitlins, pigs feet and kool aid?

Really though, this was a terrible idea. It is perpetuating a stereotype that many find offensive. Besides which, the stereotype is unjust.
Fried chicken, cornbread, collared greens, chitlins, grits, etc are a SOUTHERN thing. Not a black thing, a white thing, whatever...its SOUTHERN. I have eaten these things all my life.

Fried chicken is the best and it started herein the south where people were trying to make more with less. Bread the chicken and its more filling.

Has nothing to do with race.

I agree that its time for black history month to go, but can you imagine the outrage if it were even suggested?

ETA: one of my favorite meals: cornbread, brown beans, buttermilk. That's it. Totally on the cheap, and delicious.
How about fried catfish, black eyed peas, okra? Lmao
edit on 7-2-2014 by JayinAR because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Krazysh0t

Chrisfishenstein

Don't forget to wash it down with some grape drink.

Yah really, only thing missing was the Kool-Aid. *rolls eyes*

edit on 7-2-2014 by gladtobehere because: typo

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
The comments on this thread show just how oblivious a lot (not all) of white people are race issues and how they are perceived when they say certain things. Many of these comments are just offensive.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

Yes, my husband spent a good part of his childhood in the South, TN to be exact. Our recipe binder looks like a bizarre mishmash or Southern comfort food and international stuff.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join