It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any suggestions for a new carry weapon?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Kel-Tec PMR-30. We've changed all the women in our family over to this gun.

www.thetruthaboutguns.com...
edit on 8-2-2014 by yamammasamonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Well I finally made it to the range today and was going to try out the PX4 beside my M&P both in .40 S&W. To my disappointment the PX4 was only in 9mm in their rental section so it was back to the drawing board. Instead the guy I was dealing with recommended me an SR40 by Ruger. Now I have pics of my results but I don't have time for all the uploading so I will post them on my photobucket when I can if you guys really wanna see. I found that I could use a little more getting used to my M&P it was not as close to firing my SD40VE as I thought it'd be. Also I am now going to be looking into an SR40. I can't say it's a better gun or the best gun but I put some seriously nice groups down range with it on my first time ever even picking one up. At the end of the day I can say the SR40 is a good gun and worthy of considering if your looking in the 400-500$ range. Also the guys at the shop also had a bit of a telling tone when I asked about the PX4...and it wasn't a good tone. I have been going to the same place since I've moved to Orlando and those guys have never given me bad advice or steered me wrong so I am gonna take his little hint and move on. Everyone was unanimous when asked if they had a choice to take the PX4 or M&P they all said M&P.
edit on 10-2-2014 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

RickyD
Well I finally made it to the range today and was going to try out the PX4 beside my M&P both in .40 S&W. To my disappointment the PX4 was only in 9mm in their rental section so it was back to the drawing board. Instead the guy I was dealing with recommended me an SR40 by Ruger. Now I have pics of my results but I don't have time for all the uploading so I will post them on my photobucket when I can if you guys really wanna see. I found that I could use a little more getting used to my M&P it was not as close to firing my SD40VE as I thought it'd be. Also I am now going to be looking into an SR40. I can't say it's a better gun or the best gun but I put some seriously nice groups down range with it on my first time ever even picking one up. At the end of the day I can say the SR40 is a good gun and worthy of considering if your looking in the 400-500$ range. Also the guys at the shop also had a bit of a telling tone when I asked about the PX4...and it wasn't a good tone. I have been going to the same place since I've moved to Orlando and those guys have never given me bad advice or steered me wrong so I am gonna take his little hint and move on. Everyone was unanimous when asked if they had a choice to take the PX4 or M&P they all said M&P.
edit on 10-2-2014 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

Had the subcompact px4 in .40. Sold it. Kicked harder than my full sized 1911 with sp rounds. Wouldn't even entertain the thought of +P rounds in that little monster.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TiedDestructor

I've never seen +p rounds for the .40 S&W. Can you send me a link to some...my M&P would love to try them out lol.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
All I know is that I love my S&W M&P .40 Compact. I rented one at the range before purchasing it, and the minute I gripped it, it felt like it was already molded into my hand (plus it comes with S, M, and L backstraps that are easily swapped to fit different-sized hands). Mine has no manual safety, and being a veteran, I was lucky enough to purchase mine brand new for $455, which included tritium sights and a spare magazine with the pinky extension (which was three magazines total).

If you meet the requirements listed in the first paragraph on this page, I suggest looking through them for your final purchase: Bud's Police Supply. The prices are sweet, the communication is great, and the process is easy. Luckily, I'm an hour north of their shop, so I get to go down and visit every few months or so. They also have great deals on ammo.

Anyhoo, I hope that helps. I was able to fire very accurately and consistently with the worn-out rental, and I'm even better with my personal weapon.

Good luck on the search--it's not easy (but there are worse problems in life to have).

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

RickyD
reply to post by TiedDestructor

I've never seen +p rounds for the .40 S&W. Can you send me a link to some...my M&P would love to try them out lol.

I sell it in my store. Buffalo Bore 155 grain +P. Great critter round.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Two thoughts,
one you always get what you pay for---
two, listen to your gut go with what you like, your the one who has to live with it.

as for me I carry a SIG 229. not a lot of people like it-- but I do and that's all that matters to me.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by HardCorps

You couldn't put enough emphasis on your second point. You've gotta live with what you put your money down on. The coercion people bring to these types of discussions can be very self-serving. Firearms are incredibly personal, and you've gotta have a good foundation for your relationship ... or you run the risk of a costly divorce.

I like that video you posted. Ol' Hickok really captures the shooter's perspective, and if you know what you're listening for, he'll save you a lot of effort. I don't think I've ever heard him directly run a product into the ground. He might be saying everything you need to hear by omission.

HardCorps: Am curious about that P229. I gotta run a magazine of ammo through my friend's. Not enough to develop a feel for it ... but enough to see that it is a fine handgun. How many rounds have you run through yours? Any mechanical issues? Do you shoot it often/frequently? What's maintenance like? How does it run different ammo?

I almost bought one of these the last time I was back home ... and I mean that like I almost opted out of being a Glock Guy. The P229 seemingly allows a better grip from the draw, but it'd take more than that for me switch religions.
Anything you have to add on the Sig would be well received.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

For a time I worked as an ICE agent and the 229 was duty issue. I had to have put more then 5k rounds through that and never had a single hiccup--- of course we had an armorer who'd go through them every few months too.

But I liked the 229 so much for my own ccw I bought a 229 Scorpion. Now I don't shoot as often as I used too but I got close to a 1k rounds threw it now. all of them either 40 S&W 135 Hydra Shok or COR-BON .40 S&W 165 gr.

The only times I've ever had misfeeds is when I tried firing cheep Wal-Mart ammo

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Sorry folks for the lack of updates here. Still waiting for the funds to make my purchase(s.) Promise I'll post when that happens and I've made the final selections.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I'm not sure if your a fan of Nutnfancy on YouTube but I get a great deal of data points from his videos. Many pistols mentioned in this thread are mentioned in review.

I understand that these refer to 9mm pistols but many are offered in other calibers as well.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Also if you check his channel he has multiple in depth reviews of of individual pistols. More than you would ever need to know lol.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   

deadcalm
reply to post by Bassago

Nothing beats a Glock.

After reading that I laughed so long........... I forgot what I was going to say.

Oh well, to each his own I always say.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I'm about to order a couple of sig p227's. Might replace my edc 1911. 14+1 vs 8+1 sounds nice.

I'll try and report after adequate range time. Even if it's a sig.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I love the way the Americans here on ATS say "what new weapon should i carry ??"

9mm, .45, .40, .38 etc etc

I'l tell you, here in Spain, if you have a pencil thats too pointy in the street, they're likely to fine you.

You can't carry a knife that has an edge over 11 centimetres long either..

And if you do have one you have to justify WHY you have it, it has to be work related, your a carpenter butcher etc etc

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

So how does it feel being an adult in kindergarden?

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I carry a Sig Sauer P239 in .40S&W. Sig P239 - HERE

I've had mine for almost 9 years. Over 7,000 rounds through it and only 1 stovepipe on cheap Wolf ammo. Love it and wouldn't trade it for the world. And I sure as hell wouldn't put it back in the safe for a FREE Glock - I hate those boxy pieces of crap!

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
In Finland they carry wifes.

en.wikipedia.org...

Don't wife me bro.
edit on 26-3-2014 by kathat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

captaintyinknots
Cz75 compact. No finer weapon has ever been made.

I absolutely love my CZ-75 and its my best shooter not only because of its high quality but it also fits my hand very well making it a natural for point shooting.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
You're not going to like my answer OP. Glock 19. I've had two and only once after thousands of rounds did I have an issue (and it was the crappy ammo). Frame size hits the sweet spot.

I also have a 17 and 26. They all share ammo and magazines, and they all feel similar. I've tried carrying a Govt. 1911 and disliked it. I've carried my Sig but I don't trust myself with it as much in a bad situation because of the DA/SA, same with Berettas. The only thing I carry aside from the Glocks at this point is a S&W J frame in the pocket.

The things are incredibly reliable, conceal well, are comfortable to shoot, accurate, insanely easy to field strip, a very fair price, and the looks grow on you. If there was a pile of pistols in front of me and I could only grab one it would be the Glock to defend myself and anyone who says different is a liar or dumb (assuming no wheel guns). They're trusted for a reason. Also the bore axis just feels incredibly right for me.

THe only bad things I have to say about Glock are the sights (I just put decent night sights on all of mine to fix this).

If it's really not your bag then maybe a Sig, Beretta or S&W (in that order). Just stay well away from Taurus. Also those .410 revolvers are one of the dumbest things on the market. Any research into them and you realize just how stupid they are.

Awesome write up of Tarus and why they suck

Why the Judge sucks

Just buy a Glock. Get it in 40 if you don't like 9.
edit on 2620140320141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join