It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any suggestions for a new carry weapon?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Glock's were ugly to me, before i shot one.
That said, I don't like their takedown and I think it can be kind of dangerous anytime you have to reset the trigger to take apart a gun the way you take apart a glock.

I know some people who love Ruger's and have a friend that loves his Ruger 45, and I have friends that hate them.

You should get a motorcycle and carry a barely legal sawedoff shotgun strapped to your back. No one has ever laughed off a sawed off shotgun.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Bassago
reply to post by Snarl

I'll post my final choices before I buy and hopefully get some final feedback.

I know the Glock's are popular but they are just so ugly (to me anyway.) Sorry mean no offense to the Glock owners.

I pretty much miss all my old wheel guns. That's probably going to influence my final choice. Must be the old Wyatt Earp syndrome kicking in.

If it's a wheel gun you're digging on, check out the S&W 626. That's my bug-out piece if down to one choice. Very manageable .357, but not something I'd attempt to conceal. YMMV.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Colt .32, lightweight and very concealable, circa late 1930's to early 1950's. 6 in the clip, slide action, very little kick. This pistol was standard Secret Service Issue during that period in both US and GB. Easy to shoot straight. Women favor this handgun as well over a Saturday Night Special, it will fit in a handbag.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Now that's pretty funny, my daughter just suggested the same thing earlier today (the motorcycle, not the shotgun.)

Actually there's one leaning against the wall right next to me (the sawed off, not the motorcycle) but it's kind of heavy and a bit too conspicuous when going into the store. Just can't win sometimes.

If we do have a SHTF scenario it's coming with me.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I like the well-rounded approach. Jams won't be a problem.

NEW. VERSATILE. LIGHTWEIGHT. The Smith & Wesson Governor revolver puts six rounds of customizable response under your control. Load with .410 2 1/2" shotshells, .45 ACP or .45 Colt - alone or in combination - and hit your target in every situation. Plus, it's from the leading expert in revolver manufacturing over the last 159 years. Now that's confidence.

www.smith-wesson.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

If you are super into a revolver. Ruger LCR, they have a new one out with a hammer (previous models were hammerless).

Or again, motorcycle and how about dual sawed off shotguns?
edit on 6-2-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

I know those things are all the rage; but really, .410 as a defense round? Against Bobwhites, maybe.

And that's just the first line!

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Now that is one wicked looking little toaster. Bet it has quite the kick. Ultra short barreled shotgun blast, that's gonna hurt. Especially if you follow up with .45 ACP round. Got to love versatility.

Probably even go bird hunting with it in a survival scenario.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

They annoy me for the sole reason that they have made the .410 jump in price.
You see those combo packs with 410 and 45 long at outrageous price. Seriously boxes of 410s have jumped to crazy prices since the judge and governer have come out.

I would consider a 410 slug a safe self defense round though.
edit on 6-2-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

I have it and I love it. I have the Taurus Judge as well. Both are great.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

I know those things are all the rage; but really, .410 as a defense round? Against Bobwhites, maybe.

And that's just the first line!

Shot
Slug
Slug
Shot
Slug
Slug

You're probably unfamiliar with the common situation. If you're far enough to have to take aim, then you have the time to physically advance the chambering. If you're close quarters then:

Shot
Slug
Slug
Shot
Slug
Slug

Other than that, you should have packed an uzi.

edit on 6-2-2014 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Yeah, I could see a .410 slug; but is it safe to shoot from these sorts of pistol?

I confess I am biased in favor of my 12ga pump. When I hunt birds I just use light loads.

And when it comes to "answering the door," a slug from a 12 gauge is more impressive than a .410, imo.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

"Slug" in this instance refers to bullets. My bad if that wasn't clear. "Shot" refers to shotgun shell.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
One personal suggestion? Make a point of shooting at least once and only a few rounds but with 0 hearing protection. An enclosed space is even better for it, but not everyone has that option. What I think is critical is to experience and understand what the short term loss of hearing and shock is going to feel like...so someone doesn't react weird when time matters and the opposition is looking for any opening to attack.

Especially, IMO, with a shotgun. 'Hearing' the boom through muffs or plugs is one thing. Experiencing it and then doing a second by choice without slowing is quite another in my own experience.

Also...this shows for the 30 minutes or so after, what will happen the moment you fire your weapon. Make it count, particularly in something like a night home defense situation where hearing matters. You'll be giving up a good % of yours on the first round fired. (though the person downrange gets it a lot worse for sound..and don't ask..lol)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
Especially, IMO, with a shotgun. 'Hearing' the boom through muffs or plugs is one thing. Experiencing it and then doing a second by choice without slowing is quite another in my own experience.

When it's "that" time you'll never hear it. Most likely it will sound like one loooong single shot to any bystanders. Won't kick, either.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Sig Sauer .45ACP AKA P220 or P227. It would be your new baby trust me. You could even polish it by the door when your daughter has boyfriends come over - recommended.
edit on 2/6/2014 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Thought about the PX4 in the past, 'spose it's "ok", if you want to carry a full hunk of synthetic rubber/plastic/polymer around with you.

ETA: Not saying that's bad, just not in the scope of my personal preference, something just seems wrong about having your baby be made of "Techno Polymer."

All and all by all means It's decent in most other aspects, if you're pretty much impartial about the material It's made from.
edit on 2/6/2014 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

7.62 x 25 Best handgun round EVER

In the future you will be dealing with SHTF (+) body armor. Already, many home invasion scum use it. And with the continuation of society, ALL criminals will wear it thanks to the prevalance of trigger happy cops shooting first and then asking questions while.

Tokarev or CZ.. just MAKE SURE it is this caliber.

Sure, the big bore people are into knock down power, but from medium distance, having rounds bounce off is FAR worse than one that can

OUT PENETRATE any othe handgun you will face, whether through a car door, body armor, etc.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Sig Sauer p220 .45 caliber or Sig Sauer p226 9mm . Reliable .. well made and accurate.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

The best weapon to carry is the one we are born with and it travels everywhere we go.

Using it wisely is a different matter and not everyone knows how or has the strength to do so which is why some people rely on guns instead.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join