It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any suggestions for a new carry weapon?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Greetings fellow ATS folks. In the next month I'm looking to purchase a new handgun for for use as my main carry weapon and would really appreciate your suggestions. In the past I've used some of the following pistols for this purpose:
    Colt 1911 series 70
    S&W Sigma .40
    Colt MK IV 38spl
    S&W 442 Airweight 38spl
    S&W 9mm (forget model)
    CZ 9mm (forget model)
    Bersa Thunder .380

To be frank most of these were older models (with the exception of the S&W 442) and all had some pretty heavy drawbacks. So here's what I'm looking for now, larger caliber, lightweight, reliability, and easy carry. I can live with 8 shot mags, still love revolvers and really want something that will be my main all around carry weapon. Also I'm not a big fan of Glock type pistols but will consider them.

Edit to add- Price range $500 - $1K

Thanks for reading and any suggestions you may offer.
edit on 179pm0101pm92014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I know what you said but.....

Nothing beats a Glock. It is one of the most reliable handguns I have ever owned. Easy to maintain and easy to handle. Might I suggest the Glock 23 chambered in .40. There is a good reason why almost every police force in North America uses them.

us.glock.com...

As always I suggest heading to the range and trying one out....you won't regret it.

Also....I absolutely loved my Beretta 92F...in fact I wish I had never sold it.

Good Luck
edit on 5-2-2014 by deadcalm because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-2-2014 by deadcalm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Bassago
Greetings fellow ATS folks. In the next month I'm looking to purchase a new handgun for for use as my main carry weapon and would really appreciate your suggestions. In the past I've used some of the following pistols for this purpose:
    Colt 1911 series 70
    S&W Sigma .40
    Colt MK IV 38spl
    S&W 442 Airweight 38spl
    S&W 9mm (forget model)
    CZ 9mm (forget model)
    Bersa Thunder .380

To be frank most of these were older models (with the exception of the S&W 442) and all had some pretty heavy drawbacks. So here's what I'm looking for now, larger caliber, lightweight, reliability, and easy carry. I can live with 8 shot mags, still love revolvers and really want something that will be my main all around carry weapon. Also I'm not a big fan of Glock type pistols but will consider them.

Edit to add- Price range $500 - $1K

Thanks for reading and any suggestions you may offer.
edit on 179pm0101pm92014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

Are you using this pistol for hunting?
If not, why are you posting this in survival? A .22 will shoot and kill plenty of kritters that are noms to eat. And they are far cheaper. Are there bears or other wildlife that pose a threat when they are hungry?
edit on 5-2-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I personally love my S&W .40 M&P w/ 4" barrel but it seems you wish to go smaller. I wouldn't rule out the compact version of the M&P, but I also have been hearing good things about Sig's P938. It would help to know how light and small you wish to have. I really love the Bersa stuff too...and did you know they actually made a 15rnd Thunder .380 called the Bersa Super which was the version of the Thunder that wasn't able to be imported to the US when the clinton gun law stuff was active.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by deadcalm

Or you could go with the M&P which is based off the sigma which was so close to glocks design they sued S&W and S&W decided to settle out of court. Oh and did I mention its made in America and their customer service is awesome.

ETA: sorry I just dislike glocks lol
edit on 5-2-2014 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Find out how to make Curare.
Cultivate the plants yourself.

Put it on darts, arrows, bullets, throwing stars, knives, whatever.

All one then needs do is just scratch their target. A bull's-eye is any hit.

Done.

Such could be extremely advantageous in a survival scenario where one might not have the luxury of a whole sporting goods store full of ammunition to count on.
Make it one shot, one kill with every shot; even with an 'insignificant' wound.

You could take down a buffalo, bear, or anything with a throwing knife, or anything sufficient to deliver some Curare.

edit on 2/5/2014 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   

sorry I just dislike glocks lol
reply to post by RickyD

LOL....what has everbody got against Glocks?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I'm absolutely of two distinct minds for my own carry weapon. It's either a revolver (a 2 inch .38 in my case) or, usually a Smith & Wesson 1911PD.

The revolver is a quickie for reasoning. It cannot fire without significant mechanical function...which means accidental discharge is as close to 0 as I can get it for chances and that mechanical action is either tightly sealed in the frame or totally exposed for free movement and function or clearing what keeps that from happening. Not like the modern designs with all kinds of ways to not function and do a very simple thing. Send a piece of metal in the desired direction on command, without fail.

The 1911 costs me in capacity (7+1 for how I carry it) but if I am spraying .45 rounds to need more than 8 of them, I'm likely in a situation a firearm isn't getting me out of anyway. My carry ammunition is also my hand loads with .45 (I use factory for critical things on other calibers) and I know that little freight train of a bullet will also be moving like Casey Jones on a bender.

Additionally, the 1911 has two BIG benefits in my view.

First, with the hammer down, the gun is 100% harmless. You can beat someone with the butt end. You could hammer a nail to hang a picture from (and I'll imagine seeing someone hammered who would do such a thing to a fine weapon...but it would be technically safe). It's single action which means the trigger is nothing but a mechanical release tied up in a couple different safeties. Without the hammer back to have energy to release? It's a useless place to rest a finger if someone has bad habits. It also has multiple (at least 3 obvious and others less obvious for design) safety systems. The obvious ones are the thumb safety, grip safety and hammer position. The hammer also has a safety that will prevent firing if it takes longer than a natural drop (gets pulled back and release by accident, for instance).

Second, you can take the whole weapon down to a bare frame with nothing more than it's own parts and a Bic pen, Pencil or stick with a strong enough end to hold up for the barrel spring tension. You can also, fairly easily, teach yourself how to strip it, check mechanical function and clear obvious issues ...blindfolded. Not every handgun can be worked with that way and called viable to learn for normal people. It sounds like a stunt and I always thought it was until someone said something to me a few years back that struck like a brick. ......might my carry weapon jam or malfunction...at night? Errr.. blindfolds suddenly make sense and look downright logical ..and a 1911 is realistic that way.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by RickyD

Funny you should mention that. Right now I was reviewing the M&P Shield 9mm. Not sure I trust 9mm though. Will definitely check out the .40. Thanks for the input.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by deadcalm

I'll check out the Beretta 92F. Thanks for the suggestion.

Isn't that what James Bond used? I like it already!

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

Unless the world is in absolute chaos this is enormously against the law pretty much north America wide.

I don't really suggest it, as an option. If you shot someone with this in a self defense situation you are going to jail for murder 1. That's premeditated murder, even if the person was trying to rape and kill your family. You created a neurotoxic substance with the intent to kill someone.

link   
I love that new SW MP 80 40cal 15 +1shot , also the desert eagle 44M semi auto, powerful gun would knock even officer Dumpsey flat to the ground.. also a decent little gun 380 Ruger with laser would be great for concealment and getting a hand on it quick without an adversary noticing as much as bigger guns..A green laser site is a good idea for any concealed gun for needing in night time. I personally would go for the 40 cal though, or 44m or even a 50 cal desert eagle. getting tough to find and keep ammo up though.
edit on 5-2-2014 by alienreality because: (no reason given)

link   
Anyone that thinks hunting will be the ticket to surviving is going to starve or be murdered. Any weapon you are most comfortable with that you can fire accurately while being able to make good decisions in harsh situations while hungry thirsty and worn is the best choice.

Alice I don't think it works exactly like that with the toxins and all (I miss your old avatar)
edit on 5-2-2014 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I'm absolutely of two distinct minds for my own carry weapon. It's either a revolver (a 2 inch .38 in my case) or, usually a Smith & Wesson 1911PD.

My 1911 was a bit too heavy for comfort for me as well as jamming while ejecting cases. Never could get it to work reliably though a gun shop could have probable resolved that. Ultimately it was to heavy for everyday carry for my tastes.

The S&W Airweight 442 was an easy carry with a couple re-loaders but kicked like a mule. Even considering that I may still opt for that again or one of the other compact revolvers. I'm old school and really like wheel guns.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Much like a Beretta 92, but in 45acp----Taurus PT945

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by RickyD

Thanks for the tip! I did not know that. I'll see if I can get my hands on one and give it a try. Good customer service is hard to come by these days....although after 2 years and hundreds of rounds...the Glock still works like a CHAMP! No customer service required...

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
A 1911 for concealed carry? Damn thing weighs 50 pounds. Ok not that much but it's way big and heavy.
I use a Taurus 38 five shot revolver with 2" barrel. Easy to hide. One of these days I might try one of Rutgers 9mms.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

You could take down a buffalo, bear, or anything with a throwing knife, or anything sufficient to deliver some Curare.

That made me smile. Alice my days of taking down buffalo with curare laced throwing knives have passed.

I'm much older now and need a handgun.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by RickyD

I'm not a fan of Glocks either, but I'm considering getting one eventually. They're making Glocks in the U.S. now, also. I've just never liked the bulky blocky shape, it doesn't conceal easily. But on the other hand, they are very reliable and on the less expensive side.

I would have to say either the P938 or an M&P compact.

You might also check out the Beretta* PX4 Storm, they've got that in 9/.40/.45(.45 in full size only). An interesting design also.

I'll check out the Beretta 92F. Thanks for the suggestion.

Isn't that what James Bond used? I like it already!

I think Bond used a Walther PPK9, but I might be wrong.

edit on 5-2-2014 by kx12x because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

A .22 will shoot and kill plenty of kritters that are noms to eat. And they are far cheaper. Are there bears or other wildlife that pose a threat when they are hungry?

This is to be a personal defense (and survival weapon) and I don't want to have to buy another one.

Actually yes, there are bears and other large animals here, it's very rural. Don't think I'll be shooting any of them with a .22.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join