It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any suggestions for a new carry weapon?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

I was thinking the same thing, about not hearing the gun discharge when it "gets real".

I hunt, but with shotguns and rifles. I don't use hearing protection while I'm in the field. I have known guys who do wear protection, but it just doesn't feel safe to be in an unknown or mysterious environment and not have full hearing. After the hunt, I remember the recoil, and the sight of my quarry going down, even the burnt smell, but not the sound...

The rest of my life, I am VERY protective of my hearing, since mine is quite acute.

But upon further reflection, I think I may prove Wrabbit's point. I already DO fire a number of rounds a year without hearing protection.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
There are a ton of good choices out there for $500 or less, but if you're looking for something different and underrated, take a look at the SIG P250 sub compact. They never really caught on due to some problems with the early models, but the current production pistols are actually pretty good. If you can get past the DAO trigger, its a great value in the $350-400 price range.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Sorry mean no offense to the Glock owners.
reply to post by Bassago

None taken...lol. I found this on the Glock 23. It's a great review. Hope it helps....but for the love of god man....let go of the wheel guns.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by deadcalm

I prefer wheel guns, too. They are best suited to my needs.

I have several family members who might need to use one of my irons for home defense. They are gun novices, but can intuit a revolver, and remember how to load/unload it, even if they will only agree to go to the range with me once a year.

I have carried my favorite revolver for 21 years now. Fired thousands of rounds through it. Never had a jam. Of any kind.

Semi-automatic pistols are more prone to jam in a firefight than they are on the range. In the fog of a confrontation, people tend to shoot with one hand, and a bent elbow (spray and pray). If the bend elbow absorbs too much of the recoil, you get a stovepipe jam. If it is a larger pistol, you may well need a pair of pliers to extricate the spent casing.

I can functionally carry a much higher caliber as a revolver. Studies show that once you fire more than about 1 bullet per second, you radically reduce the probability of downing your assailant. So I go with fewer, larger bullets, knowing I don't have to shoot as often, to stop the perp.

Those are my prejudices, based on my experience.

I know that other people, MOST other people, prefer semis.
Yet the old ways work best for me and mine.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

nerbot
reply to post by Bassago

The best weapon to carry is the one we are born with and it travels everywhere we go.

Using it wisely is a different matter and not everyone knows how or has the strength to do so which is why some people rely on guns instead.

I plan on bringing this one and hopefully using it.

If it fails me though I want a backup plan.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I would actually like to suggest 2 weapons from the same manufacturer.

Ruger LCP .380 Auto in brushed stainless is $429. It has proven to be a very reliable little weapon and has maximum concealability factor.

The other is the SR series in compact configuration. Like the SR9c or the SR40c. I owned a full size SR9 and absolutely loved it. I'm going to buy the .40 version in the future.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
First, thanks everyone for the input on this I really appreciate it. So looking at the suggestion I've come up with the following list of potential candidates. The other suggestion we struck off due to caliber, weight or simple aesthetics.
    S&W M&P compact
    M&P Shield 9mm
    S&W M&P.40
    S&W M&P 80 40cal 15 +1shot
    S&W Governor 410 2 1/2" shotshells, .45 ACP or .45 Colt
    S&W 640
    S&W 626
    Sig Sauer P938
    Sig Sauer .45ACP AKA P220 or P227
    Sig Sauer p220 .45 caliber or Sig Sauer p226 9mm
    Sig Sauer P250 sub compact
    Sig Sauer P938
    Beretta* PX4 Storm
    Beretta 96 or px4 storm in .40 s&w
    Taurus PT945
    Taurus 38 five shot revolver with 2" barrel
    Makarov 9mm
    Remington R-51
    Ruger LCR 4104 or 4130
    Ruger SR9c or the SR40c

Guess the next step is to narrow this down some more at the gun stores for comfort and handling. Then off to the range if they have some demo's available. I'll admit to favoring the S&W M&P.40 and Sig Sauer .45ACP so far.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

Pro Ears ... Find a model that suits you and pay for them!! The only issue I've had is that they interfere with wearing a hat comfortably ... and maybe chirping birds. -grin-

I wrote a snarky response to Wrabbit's post a few minutes after his went, but the karma of the Internet struck, and I was too lazy to type it again. -heh heh-

I find the recommended hearing protection to be more valuable than night optics. That's a fairly strong statement coming from me. These amplify your ability to hear, in addition to preserving it. I keep a set of these in front of every firearm I have stashed. I've given a set to every shooting partner for Christmas who didn't have his own version already.

CSB: At the range, I like to tune/test my long range proficiency. For this, I use my Browning A Bolt with a compensated BOSS. Never met a more accurate rifle, but the damn thing is the loudest weapon I've ever seen. It's funny (to me) watching people pack their gear and move as far away as possible. However, me and my buddy can whisper to each other between shots ... no problem, and you can tell what direction sounds are coming from.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I'm surprised I have not seen anyone mention the Springfield XD I don't own one but I know quite a few very capable men I served with that have them and I have quite a few thousand rounds through them and they are excellent and very forgiving weapons that offer great balance, accuracy, and feel comfortable while at the same time allowing larger magazine capacity without making its conceal-ability or comfort lack in anyway. In its .40cal model it is a great alternative to a .45

This is a pic of their .45 auto model which is very badass as well!!! Highly recommended
edit on 6-2-2014 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Bassago
First, thanks everyone for the input on this I really appreciate it. So looking at the suggestion I've come up with the following list of potential candidates. The other suggestion we struck off due to caliber, weight or simple aesthetics.
    S&W M&P compact
    M&P Shield 9mm
    S&W M&P.40
    S&W M&P 80 40cal 15 +1shot
    S&W Governor 410 2 1/2" shotshells, .45 ACP or .45 Colt
    S&W 640
    S&W 626
    Sig Sauer P938
    Sig Sauer .45ACP AKA P220 or P227
    Sig Sauer p220 .45 caliber or Sig Sauer p226 9mm
    Sig Sauer P250 sub compact
    Sig Sauer P938
    Beretta* PX4 Storm
    Beretta 96 or px4 storm in .40 s&w
    Taurus PT945
    Taurus 38 five shot revolver with 2" barrel
    Makarov 9mm
    Remington R-51
    Ruger LCR 4104 or 4130
    Ruger SR9c or the SR40c

Guess the next step is to narrow this down some more at the gun stores for comfort and handling. Then off to the range if they have some demo's available. I'll admit to favoring the S&W M&P.40 and Sig Sauer .45ACP so far.

Great selections (although I'm not a .40s&w fan) - I ran with a pair of Taurus 945 for over 5 years and rarely had any jam problems (unless I limp-wristed a shot). I've carried a 1911 LT commander for about 20 years, and a full sized govt model before that. First pistol was a 4-bbl HK-4 in .22, .25, .32 and .380

If you're considering the S&W Guvnor, please also consider the Taurus Judge in either 6 shot or 7 shot configuration - same goes for the Taurus 6- and 7-shot .357mag in 2" bbl (just use .38spl). There's a great variety of .410 self defense ammo these days - including some multi-sized shot combos and brass cased shells.

My opinion on 1911 models (std, cmdr, officer) - you just can't beat STI in that format, even the cheap ones guarantee 1/2" groups @ 25yds! Plus they have a full line of double stacks and are most known for their competition "race" guns - very pricey stuff on the high end.

ganjoa
edit on 7-2-2014 by ganjoa because: speelin'

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

Thanks Brotherman, the Springfield XD Sub Compact .40 comes in at the edge of the weight requirements I'm looking for. Adding it to the list.

reply to post by ganjoa

Both the Millennium G2 9mm and .40 Sub Compacts look pretty nice. Also the PT24/7 G2 45acp. After looking at the Taurus site I'll give them a look over at the gun shop as well. Thanks, adding to the list.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Bassago
reply to post by Brotherman

Thanks Brotherman, the Springfield XD Sub Compact .40 comes in at the edge of the weight requirements I'm looking for. Adding it to the list.

And yet your list omits Glock. -sigh-

-sighs again-

Thread interest wanes. -sigh-

You're just a damned hater aren't you?

Curious ... have you checked out this guy's videos? Hickok45

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

Yeah, caught me on the Glock's but they're so ugly... sorry. Not a hater though, just an aesthetic.

So you (from the video) suggest the Classic Schofield Top-Break Revolver?
Actually that appeals to my old school sentiment but shy of wearing a western hip holster it's going to give me grief (I just know it.) Looks accurate as hell though.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I have carried a 1911 for years but now as i get older i am going down to a WW2 Walther P38.

My 1911 i turned into a hog gun by putting a 7 inch barrel in it and ported it.
Plus i added a red dot scope.
I now can shoot a >1 inch group at 25 feet.

What i like about the P38 is the barrel being smaller its easy to conceal and its double action.
With the hydro shock rounds i use in both my hand guns it has stopping power.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
You should really check out the XD line of pistols from Springfield armory , they come in a lot of sizes and caliber . They are similar to glock but have more safety features. And they feel good in the hand .
I have a XD 40 with 4 inch barrel and love it .
They also make a 45 that has a double stack magazine that holds 13 rounds I think . Defiantly worth checking out

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Glock 17? No experience with it but it's been high on my list for a while. Reviews, comments, ratings, articles. It seems to be a good choice? I don't know and I'm doing more research but...so far that's the one for me.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Bassago
reply to post by Snarl

Yeah, caught me on the Glock's but they're so ugly... sorry. Not a hater though, just an aesthetic.

So you (from the video) suggest the Classic Schofield Top-Break Revolver?
Actually that appeals to my old school sentiment but shy of wearing a western hip holster it's going to give me grief (I just know it.) Looks accurate as hell though.

One thing I know ... there's no one perfect gun. If you can't shoot what you have, it's the 'wrong' gun. My learning experience with that was ...

wait for it ...

a Glock 17.
Fortunately, that worked out in my son's financial favor.

That link was to Hickok's front page. Did you NOT see the XD video? I think it was the third most recent.

This one is the performance tell-all for the Glock 23:
Now, if you watched that, tell me you were even looking at how ugly his Glock is? And ... for anyone else who was paying attention (Wrabbit?), did you notice the hearing protection he was wearing allowed him to hear the bullet impacts at 230 yards?

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   

kx12x
I'm not a fan of Glocks either,

What is not to like. My .40 is the best out of the box shooter I have ever used, they are practically indestructible. I have a Glock 23 that I clean maybe once every 3 or 4 years, and I still out shoot anyone at the range with it..hehe. I have shot many other pistols that seem to be really hard to hit the target with.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

OK I watched it. There's gotta be something illegal about hitting a target with a pistol at 230 yards.

I'm totally impressed. Really.

Because of this and also Xtrozero's input I promise to fairly look at the Glock's. No lie I will.

Ya got me.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Cz75 compact. No finer weapon has ever been made.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join