It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Duck Dynasty' to resume filming with Phil Robertson

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

antonia
reply to post by diggindirt

The journals are part of it. Now they have set-top boxes used to track ratings as well. The ad sweeps are also a big part of it. DD lost 3 million viewers between the premiere and the finale during the sweeps last season. The next season premieres januray 16th. Yea, they needed to drum up some viewers.

edit on 27-12-2013 by antonia because: opps

You honestly think the family cares about A&E's viewership numbers? They are rich. They will continue to be rich with or without A&E. Let me ask you this: Do you think the robertsons actually consider themselves Christians or is that a giant conspiracy scam too that they concocted for money? Is the pastor just a phoney and A&E pays people to go to his church to pretend they are members of the congregation?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Purely about money and lots and lots of hypocrisy.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

DeadSeraph

You honestly think the family cares about A&E's viewership numbers? They are rich. They will continue to be rich with or without A&E.

Your point? Do you honestly think being rich makes one above jerking someone's chain for attention? Either way, A&E knew damn well who this man was and knew what he said before it was published. That's why I don't buy any of this BS.

Either way, just like your beloved Phil, I have the right to believe and say what I want. And if I think this is all a bunch of contrived media BS to drum up ratings and sell cheap chinese made trash then I have that right. I personally think this was genius. The rubes took the bait and ran with it. The Duck Commander wine is selling out, the duck calls are out of stock all over the place, Wal-Mart is getting it's DD garbage out of the door and more people will watch the show in January. I commend them for it.

edit on 27-12-2013 by antonia because: added a thought

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Way to dodge the question.

ETA: I never once argued that you don't have the right to believe whatever you want. You can believe in Santa Claus and the easter bunny for all I care. Doesn't mean I have to agree with you.
edit on 27-12-2013 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

I did not dodge your question. your point was not valid, being rich doesn't make one above cheap stunts. you need only look at hollywood to know that.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

antonia

I did not dodge your question. your point was not valid, being rich doesn't make one above cheap stunts. you need only look at hollywood to know that.

Yes you did, actually.

Incase you somehow missed it:

Let me ask you this: Do you think the robertsons actually consider themselves Christians or is that a giant conspiracy scam too that they concocted for money? Is the pastor just a phoney and A&E pays people to go to his church to pretend they are members of the congregation?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Oh that one, frankly, I don't think they are. I think they are playing a role. Money is far more important to them and their actions show it.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Pimpintology
I don't think they pray for tolerance. Anyway glad Phil's back! Show would have sucked without him. This is a win for the first amendment.

The first amendment? Setting aside the issue of whether or not this was simply a PR stunt and the fact that the whole bunch of them are about as fake as it gets, how in the world could anything that happened be construed as a first amendment issue? These guys are "reality" TV personalities. They sign contracts with morals clauses which stipulate standards of behavior by which the entertainer agrees to conduct himself. These clauses have been around in entertainers' contracts since at least the early 1920's.

Personally, I think Phil Robertson might have gotten a little too far into character, after which there was probably a private mea culpa in front of the A&E execs who then went through the motions of suspending him. If it was a publicity stunt, I guess the world can at least be grateful there weren't any bearded twerkers.
edit on 2013-12-27 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Ah, so the ploy would be to continue to string this out until the new season starts? Yeah, I guess that makes some sense also. Good job if they can do it---turn 15 minutes of fame into 30 days.

Does anyone know if it is true that the ratings people are on vacation these last two weeks? I realize the "boxes" are still in place but as I understand it, the percentage of boxes is so small compared to the diaries that those results aren't factored in. But hey, I've already told you more than I actually know....so someone can step in and help ...
The people selling the merch certainly have been made Happy, Happy, Happy! A friend who manages a discount store says he hasn't been able to keep anything with a DD logo since the issue emerged.
So is it Happy Coincidence that GQ ran that article at that particular time and the DD happened to make a large profit as a result of GLADD attacking them?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Either way, just like your beloved Phil, I have the right to believe and say what I want. And if I think this is all a bunch of contrived media BS to drum up ratings and sell cheap chinese made trash then I have that right. I personally think this was genius. The rubes took the bait and ran with it.

You have every right to your opinion and the voicing of it, but I'm just trying to understand it. I see the attraction of the pure cynical view, often up close and personally, but yours is still ignoring the wildcard.

Were glaad among the rubes that ran with the bait? Given the way this genius plan has played out, it would seem that they were the biggest suckers of all in your scenario. After all, the rednecks and rabble can be expected to be duped, sure, but what about the sophisticated and enlightened glaadiators?

Do you really think AE was just using glaad as useful idiots?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

BlueMoonJoe

Do you really think AE was just using glaad as useful idiots?

Yes, They don't care about causes, they care about money and they made a ton of it, are going to continue making it and are probably going to have their best season opener ever.

For that kind of result, they would stab Glaad in the front and twist that knife.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

DeadSeraph

antonia
reply to post by diggindirt

The journals are part of it. Now they have set-top boxes used to track ratings as well. The ad sweeps are also a big part of it. DD lost 3 million viewers between the premiere and the finale during the sweeps last season. The next season premieres januray 16th. Yea, they needed to drum up some viewers.

You honestly think the family cares about A&E's viewership numbers? They are rich. They will continue to be rich with or without A&E. Let me ask you this: Do you think the robertsons actually consider themselves Christians or is that a giant conspiracy scam too that they concocted for money? Is the pastor just a phoney and A&E pays people to go to his church to pretend they are members of the congregation?

Lots of people pretend to be all sorts of things and of those things, religious is at the top of the list. How many politicians can you name who are self-proclaimed atheists?

Also, I'd like to point out they while they might already be wealthy, they didn't become so by not caring about money. Even rarer than the atheist politician is the rich person who is thinks he's accumulated enough wealth.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by theantediluvian

One thing I've figured out quickly from this whole debacle is that people emotionally identify with these characters. It's sad, but they can't believe for one second it might not be real because they are emotionally tied to it.

I threw out my cable years ago because I refuse to be played like that.

Oh and Glaad is probably going to get a ton of donations from this one, they win from this mess too.
edit on 27-12-2013 by antonia because: added a thought

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by theantediluvian

Very true. However, I brought up their religion because at the end of the day that is what this issue comes down to. They seem to be walking the walk. Of course in this case it's a difficult argument to stand on because someone can always claim they are all "pretenders" and don't lead Godly lifestyles. I find that a tad unlikely given the fact one of the sons is a pastor, leads a real congregation, and his family attends his church.

Which is more likely? That the whole thing is a sham, or that a Christian family from the south who made their fortune before they ever got involved with A&E stood by their principles? You'd have to stretch logic quite a bit to assert the former.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Heh. No honor among thieves, the revamped corporate sociopath version?

So how do you think glaad feels about that? After all, they got chumped big time. Just bend over or fight back with renewed vigor?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

People emotionally identify with characters in books. I will give 'A Christmas Carol' by Charles Dickens as an example, tis the season.

So, did you give up on reading classics now too?
edit on 27-12-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

butcherguy
reply to post by antonia

People emotionally identify with characters in books. I will give 'A Christmas Carol' by Charles Dickens as an example, tis the season.

So, did you give up on reading classics now too?
edit on 27-12-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

Big difference: I know the book is fiction.

Most of you are sitting here arguing this reality show is the real deal. No one who is sane argues "The Christmas Carol" is real.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I am not going to comment on A&E, Duck Dynasty or Homosexuality's right or wrongness. I only logged in to comment on what an incredible shame it is that this thread has more replies than any other all day.

ATS you should be ashamed. Don't we have more important things to talk about?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

I have read in bios that all of Phils sons are ordained ministers, as is Phil.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Christian Voice
Awesome! The people have spoken and the Robertsons did not cave their morals for a dollar. A&E is pathetic but I am very proud of the Robertsons

Caved in? more like publicity stunt.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join