It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Duck Dynasty' to resume filming with Phil Robertson

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Yea, it's all real. Arguing about a chair she sold while the chair sits in the background.

Really, People are easy to fool. Duck Dynasty is a masterful example of emotional branding.

Uh, speaking of fake, who exactly are these folks you have been dumbing down on for thinking it's real?

Again, I've never seen the show, but from folks describing it, it would seem like it is a depiction of a real family that of course is partially/predominantly scripted and fiddled with in the mix and whatever else is done in these affairs. Is anyone actually arguing otherwise?

You've been running this meme throughout this thread, but I haven't yet seen anyone arguing that the show is real in the sense that it is totally unscripted or the like. Perhaps I missed the posts where this happened, but it seems like you are arguing against phantoms in order to lay claim to some enlightened, oh so in the know behind the scenes queen or some such.

An ATS reality show, as it were.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I have an issue with their marriage. Anyone other then me notice they have been married for 50 years yet Kaye is not that old?? She is 47 years old and Willie is in his 40's she would have been about 4 years old when he was born. This leaves lots of questions here as to what is the truth. In fact Phil is exactly 20 years older then she is. Which makes me wonder how what they said can be true about when they were kids????

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

butcherguy
reply to post by antonia

And now that he is back on the show, he is a fake redneck and the interview and the aftermath was a designed ploy for ratings.

Several people said that before we "lost". I even said it was likely fake in the last thread . Really, you haven't won anything. 12.5 million people watched the premier of the last season of that show. That is about 3% of the population. 60% of people support gay marriage. I don't think you won anything by continuing to be able to watch fake rednecks play out scripted scenes on TV.

You've been running this meme throughout this thread, but I haven't yet seen anyone arguing that the show is real in the sense that it is totally unscripted or the like

There is no real in a "sense". It is either real or it is not. Several people tried to argue they were real to me. Most of the responses are people trying to tell me their show is authentic. If you didn't see, it's because you didn't want to.
edit on 28-12-2013 by antonia because: added a thought

edit on 28-12-2013 by antonia because: rogue comma

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
'Duck Dynasty' to resume filming with Phil Robertson

Even if I cared, I still wouldn't even care.....more distraction nonesense. If someone's is offended by him don't watch the show. If your offended by the programming station than don't watch that station. If your offended by your TV for displaying it, yes, that's right, don't watch TV. Simple.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

went off on this 'inbred, backwards redneck' immediately after A&E suspended him... And now that he is back on the show, he is a fake redneck and the interview and the aftermath was a designed ploy for ratings.

I was thinking the same thing.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Where do you come up with this win/lose thing as far I am concerned? I can get along fine with or without the show. My kids watch it. Sometimes they make me watch it with them.
I won nothing. I lost nothing.
I just find it really presumptive for you to declare that the entire show is fake and that they are faking the religious aspect of their lives.
There are things about the show that are real. Phil and Silas are brothers. Willy, Jase and Jeptha are actually Phil's sons. There really is a Duck Commander Inc that manufactures duck calls.

Earlier, you made a statement that if you connect emotionally with classic fiction... it is okay because you know that it is fiction. What is the difference anyway? What if you read what you believe to be a true account and connect emotionally... then find out it was fiction? Would you require psychological treatment or institutionalization to repair the damage?

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

There is no real in a "sense". It is either real or it is not. Several people tried to argue they were real to me. Most of the responses are people trying to tell me their show is authentic. If you didn't see, it's because you didn't want to.

Oh, I wanted to see it. That's why I went looking for it after seeing you beating this drum about dumb people thinking it was real. I didn't find them, however, and your lack of specifics hidden under such vague bs as "several people tried to . . . " just reinforces that you are a real fake on this take and are arguing shadows instead of actual views held by posters.

Your notion that it is real or not is a false dichotomy.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

AuntC
I have an issue with their marriage. Anyone other then me notice they have been married for 50 years yet Kaye is not that old?? She is 47 years old and Willie is in his 40's she would have been about 4 years old when he was born. This leaves lots of questions here as to what is the truth. In fact Phil is exactly 20 years older then she is. Which makes me wonder how what they said can be true about when they were kids????

Maybe you can source that?
The info that I see online is that Kay was born in 1950. That would make her 63 years old, according to my math. Willie is 41, again from info available online.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

butcherguy
reply to post by antonia

There are things about the show that are real. Phil and Silas are brothers. Willy, Jase and Jeptha are actually Phil's sons. There really is a Duck Commander Inc that manufactures duck calls.

I am aware of that. I said their persona is fake, the way they represent themselves is not real. It's an image concocted to appeal to a segment of the population much like the Kardashians or the Obama's. Acting out staged scenes such as the one I featured should have tipped you off to that. If you want to believe these people are sincere then go for it. I personally refuse to believe a man with a masters degree who used to teach public school and happened to start a multimillion dollar with his son is that ignorant.

What if you read what you believe to be a true account and connect emotionally... then find out it was fiction? Would you require psychological treatment or institutionalization to repair the damage?

That wouldn't make you insane, it would just make you wrong. If you continued to harp on it after it was revealed to you then I would call you a nut.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

butcherguy

AuntC

Maybe you can source that?
The info that I see online is that Kay was born in 1950. That would make her 63 years old, according to my math. Willie is 41, again from info available online.

When I was reading about Phil it showed her name I clicked on it at Bing and it showed she was born in 1966 which makes her 2 years older then me which makes her 47 years old. Which I find strange if they were suppose to be married for 50 years. I know she looks younger but come off it. And if she was that young then Willie can not be her kid. It showed Willies birthday, Si's and Phils, as well as hers it just makes no sense at all.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntC

Google says she was born in 1950 and she was married at 16.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Really, you haven't won anything. 12.5 million people watched the premier of the last season of that show. That is about 3% of the population. 60% of people support gay marriage.

The mind reels at such an inane comparison. Regardless, the effort to minimize the impact of this recent incident by rendering it just a pr stunt notwithstanding, the blowback against the glaadiators proceeds apace. Regardless of who won or not, there's little question that glaad lost this one. Here's an interesting take from Time

In the end, after carefully reviewing all of the responses, A&E issued a final response explaining their decision to lift Phil’s suspension, which resulted in yet another predictable response from GLAAD. I’m not sure how we do it, but we manage to craft responses to our opponents without ever having actual conversations with them.

It isn’t shocking that a conservative Christian duck-hunter from Louisiana has opinions that GLAAD deemed “anti-gay,” and it isn’t shocking that A&E immediately kowtowed to GLAAD at the first drop of the word “homophobic.” What is shocking, however, is that A&E lifted Phil’s hiatus in spite of the fact that they knew GLAAD wasn’t going to be happy about it. A few years ago, I couldn’t imagine a network disregarding GLAAD’s recommendations. A&E is certainly setting a precedent – which makes me wonder about where we are today with queer politics.

While I disagree with the author's conclusions that follow, here's hoping he's correct about AE blowing off glaad being a precedent because as can be seen from their response via the LA Times, they are lying bullies. The end does not justify the means.

"Phil Robertson should look African American and gay people in the eyes and hear about the hurtful impact of praising Jim Crow laws and comparing gay people to terrorists," the organization said in a statement. "If dialogue with Phil is not part of next steps then A+E has chosen profits over African American and gay people – especially its employees and viewers."

Of course, he didn't do that, and of course that doesn't matter. Here's hoping this spotlight shines upon their shady doing and folks won't automatically kowtow to their bullying ways.

link   
reply to post by antonia

That wouldn't make you insane, it would just make you wrong. If you continued to harp on it after it was revealed to you then I would call you a nut.

Ahh, so it was just some tripe that you threw out there. Ok.

Here is what you said:

The whole damn show is fake. Check them out
before they started Duck Dynasty: 

Then you decided to amend that... I guess:

I said their persona is fake, the way they represent themselves is not real. 

They represent themselves as duck hunters. Is that fake?

edit on 28-12-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

link   
In retrospect...the whole Duck Dynasty thing may have been a stealth marketing campaign.

Up to that point I had never heard of either Duck Dynasty, Phil Robertson or even GLAAD. Now they are the talk of the country.

Stealth Marketing often uses controversy and polarization to draw the attention of large crowds. Who knows...

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntC

The oldest son, Alan was born in 1966. He is the person that is 47 years old.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by Helious

I don't think you're totally on base with stating that Phil's comments were "homophobic". I'm sure you know what that word means and so do I so I'm confused why you would label what he said as such unless you believe that he is somehow afraid or threatened by homosexuals.

Seems that he is.

"They're full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant God haters. They are heartless. They are faithless. They are senseless. They are ruthless. They invent ways of doing evil. That's what you have 235 years, roughly, after your forefathers founded the country. So what are you gonna do, Pennsylvania? Just run with them? You're going to die. Don't forget that."

Them gays is out to get all us good Christians. Yep. They are going to tear down 'merica. Yep.

Ignorant homophobe. In the flesh.
edit on 12/27/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/27/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

This is shameful, Phage. I don't ever post, but this is supposed to be about denying ignorance...
#1 He's quoting Romans as you've been told. I know you haven't looked. (or else you're willingly participating in the scheme?)

Romans 1:20-32 King James Version (KJV) 20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: 21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, 23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. 24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: 25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. 26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. 28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; 29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: 32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

#2 You're taking (for truth) the commentary from men with an agenda without checking out the source material? I'm told you're better than that. The men who made and remark on the video know what was really said. That doesn't fit their agenda though. Watch the speech where it was taken from.

He says the same thing in all his talks.
First: The Romans passage shows where we are as a country.
Second: When we die (sinners, all of us, not just gays) we will face God. "You're gonna die, Pennsylvania," is talking about facing God when we die, not about Pennsylvania dying because... (the video suggests he is saying homosexuality.) The dying quote was added in there for effect. Go watch the full talk.
edit on 28-12-2013 by IraColmillo because: added underlining

BTW, go watch one of Phil's sermons, and you'll see that he says the reason he gives his talks is because he loves all people (yes, the ones he says are sinning), and secondly he makes sure to lump himself in with the sinners. He considers himself just as sinful as the people he mentions from the list in Romans. Again, go watch one of his talks.
edit on 28-12-2013 by IraColmillo because: Go watch one of his talks.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Phage

They couldn't care less about what Phil said or meant when he made his homophobic comments.

You are out of order. I see nothing in Phil's beliefs that says he's afraid of homosexuals. He simply doesn't agree with the lifestyle. Not the same as a homophobe.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by IraColmillo

What difference does it make that he's quoting a book? Why does that matter? He's repeating this homophobic, hateful, disrespectful rhetoric. And hiding behind a book doesn't absolve him from being a hateful bigot. He agrees with the rhetoric and is repeating it time and time again.

While I disagree with Mr. Robertson at every level, I am glad to see A&E reversed their decision.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by IraColmillo

He's quoting Romans as you've been told. I know you haven't looked.
As I said, I don't care. As I said, it doesn't matter. He is promulgating homophobic ideas and stereotypes. He believes those ideas and stereotypes are valid. His right. His right to proclaim them. My right to call him a homophobic fool.

He says the same thing in all his talks.
I'm not surprised. Them homosexuals are a scary lot.

BTW, go watch one of Phil's sermons
No, thank you. But does he get into Old Testament stuff too?

edit on 12/28/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

antonia
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

And you win the day. This was all a big scam. I knew they would take him back.

The whole damn show is fake. Check them out before they started Duck Dynasty:

Nothing but a bunch of fakes acting like rednecks for a TV show. They were normal yuppies before they started and now all of sudden they are long haired red-necks with beards wearing camo and wrapping themselves up in the flag. Please, people lap it up too. The only social issue here is that people are so easy to fool.

Oh and to them:

1 Corinthians 11:14

Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair it is a disgrace for him,

Oh, I guess that part doesn't matter though.
edit on 27-12-2013 by antonia because: opps

This post is STUPID. Of course you can easily tell that top picture is YEARS older. These people were never yuppies. They are my age, they went to school in the 80's.. we had Preppies back then everyone emulated but that was a short fad.

Er.. Love how you take scripture out of context.. so I guess Jesus was a disgrace? He as a Nazarene always had long hair you know.. in fact.. it was illegal for Jesus to cut his hair at all!

Yeah.. I wanna be there when you tell Jesus he was a disgrace. That's gonna be good.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join