It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Duck Dynasty' to resume filming with Phil Robertson

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Willtell

People do have the ability to be outraged at 2 different things at the same time. And if you think outrage over this will change anything.... just take a look at Obamacare. How has outrage affected that decision?

Voicing your opinion to A&E and having them listen is completely different than having the government listen to ANYTHING you have to say about ANYTHING they do. If they based their decisions on public opinion we would not be in MANY of the situations we are currently in. Sad but true.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I just want to cover the point that they have actually played golf at a country club on the show.

They also have been shuttled around for business meetings in helicopters, leased limos painted in a camoflage scheme and they tool around in very expensive vehicles.... on the show. They commonly show the son's homes in 'the subdivision', which in my humble opinion are very nice.

The beards? There have been several times in my adult life that I did not have a beard. The DD guys are the same way, they have also performed this act called shaving.

ZZ Top has two gentlemen that wear beards and it has become part of their persona. Are they fake beards also?
edit on 27-12-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I'm afraid that everyone that grows up in the deep south is exposed to southern Christian values either directly or indirectly all of the time. He is obviously of the Christian faith now, so how do explain that? Do you think it happened overnight when he was 40?

It doesn't matter when they started using the word homophobia, what does matter is that it is a term that is being incorrectly applied to falsely label people who because of their religious beliefs or simply because of what they personally think are being persecuted in the same way as the minorities claim to be that are fighting for "equal rights".

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Oh but you used the operative word: Persona. That's not who they actually are.

I swear, between the Santa mess and this I think Americans have completely forgotten how to distinguish fantasy from reality.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

And you know who they really are?

Or are you humble enough to put yourself in with the rest of us that admit we don't know?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

I know they aren't what they proclaim to be on TV.

Really, their most expensive line of Duck Calls has already sold out. Merch is flying off the shelves. If you think Robertson and A&E had no idea what he said would generate this kind of controversy then you are just gullible. These people are laughing all the way to bank.

And I promise the ratings for their new season opener will be the highest they have ever seen thanks to this. That was the whole point.
edit on 27-12-2013 by antonia because: added a thought

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

What is it that you think that they proclaim to be on TV?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

tothetenthpower
reply to post by FlyersFan

Finally, one iota of sense from these people.

The man should not have LOST his job for his answering of a question. A question that the interviewer KNEW FULL WELL would wield some kind of 'shocking' or 'offensive' remarks.

The media created this frenzy.

~Tenth

That is a good point.
The media loves to ask questions that piss people off.

My ex used to ask me what I was thinking about.
I'd tell her I was thinking how lucky I was that I was married to her.
She'd get mad at me for lying.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Political correctness. It's easy to assume in our society that EVERYONE is a progressive-liberal and would be outraged by his comments. The companies are always surprised when there is a massive, massive backlash when they try and suppress someones views. People need to wake up to the fact that we don't all pander progressive-Liberal ideologies. Even myself, who am socially progressive, find it nauseating and pathetic.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

I don't think you're totally on base with stating that Phil's comments were "homophobic". I'm sure you know what that word means and so do I so I'm confused why you would label what he said as such unless you believe that he is somehow afraid or threatened by homosexuals.

This is a big part of why this is not just a dumb story about a dumb duck guy. You, like me, have somehow missed the memo as the homophobe meme glaadly morphs from its original denotation into the connotation which glaad is gunning for: anything less than complete acceptance of all things gay is homophobic.

The current flap with the Prancing Elite and their little Christmas Parade stunt is indicative of how far things have gone off the rails. The outrage that some folks would be so "homophobic" as to not want such fare at their Christmas parade is a pretty good scorecard as to who is winning the culture wars.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Why are beards an issue, they have old hunting videos and they have beards.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Yes, there are pics of Phil with a long black beard... maybe it was fake too. =)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

antonia

Oh but you used the operative word: Persona. That's not who they actually are.

I swear, between the Santa mess and this I think Americans have completely forgotten how to distinguish fantasy from reality.

Wait, what? So now you are saying they aren't white?

Uh, nobody on tv is who they actually are. Some are just closer to the norm than others.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I don't think they pray for tolerance. Anyway glad Phil's back! Show would have sucked without him. This is a win for the first amendment.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Well good! Maybe people will grab their popcorn, get back on the couch and shut up about all this . lol

One good thing... I learned a lot.

I saw either love, hate, or fear within people... their true hearts intent showed during all of this.

I was also able to teach my kids and them me through this issue as well.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Ironically, Phil Robertson is the Rosa Parks of conservatives.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I heard an interesting rebuttal to the "It's all a PR ploy" the other evening from a guy who is in the business of radio and TV. These last couple of weeks of the year are not counted in the ratings according to his understanding of the ratings system. His thoughts are that this would be the worst possible time to chase ratings because all the networks and cable are doing re-runs this time of year. It was his impression that no ratings are gathered. Is he wrong?
I freely admit that I didn't understand all I heard in his explanation but according to him there are annual media awards and celebrations this week that all the big guys will be attending. That's why you see/hear re-runs or "Best-of" shows during the holidays. Most of the big names take their vacation time during this "no ratings" period. According to his information the ratings system uses "diaries" from viewers/listeners to determine ratings. During the last two weeks of the calendar year they don't send out those diaries.
So why would they plan something to cause a ratings hike when no diaries are going in?
Another interesting observation came in the form of a question: "Why do the people in GLADD fear Phil Robertson so much? His slogan is 'Happy, Happy, Happy' and he makes clear that he's a Christian....." here the speaker paused, he had the attention of the entire table, "Why did the CIA fear Bob Marley? His music urged people to stand up for their rights and be happy. What is it that makes some people fear those who tell us to be happy?"
I must admit that I know far more about Bob Marley than I do about Phil Robertson but I do accept the premise that you only attack those things which make you fearful. So, is it the "happy" or the "unity of community" that causes the rise in adrenalin?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

So thats our fault too, so whats your solution?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe

People do have the ability to be outraged at 2 different things at the same time. And if you think outrage over this will change anything.... just take a look at Obamacare. How has outrage affected that decision?

Voicing your opinion to A&E and having them listen is completely different than having the government listen to ANYTHING you have to say about ANYTHING they do. If they based their decisions on public opinion we would not be in MANY of the situations we are currently in. Sad but true.

I doubt A&E's decision had anything to do with public opinion. There were people equally outraged at phils comments as there were people who supported his right to make them. I called it when the story first broke that phil would probably tell them where to go and his family would back him up. That's exactly what happened and A&E had no choice but to blink in their game of chicken.

Now people are coming out and claiming the whole thing was a PR stunt because they didn't get the outcome they wanted or they don't like the image of the robertsons or the messages they convey. It's preposterous. A&E tried to get the family to take out the prayer at the end of the show and cut out the religious stuff. Didn't work. Now people are trying to claim the whole thing was about money in the first place? Whatever helps you sleep at night, I guess.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by diggindirt

The journals are part of it. Now they have set-top boxes used to track ratings as well. The ad sweeps are also a big part of it. DD lost 3 million viewers between the premiere and the finale during the sweeps last season. The next season premieres januray 16th. Yea, they needed to drum up some viewers.

edit on 27-12-2013 by antonia because: opps

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join