It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is Apple becoming a sellout?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

No you didn't. If you post the specs of your $700 computer I will be able to explain why.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by paranormal78

I've been an Apple fan forever and the word "affordable" has never fit into any sentence when referring to Apple.

Also "sell out" um, how are they a sell out?

Apple has changed since Steve Jobs died yes but that doesn't mean they are a sell out. Learn the definition of sell out then come back.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Feel free to explain why the Macbook Air is almost double the Asus. I posted specs .. and Mac is 13" and Asus was 15.6". That is a HUGE difference in screen size.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
The thing I don't agree on about apple is that you need itunes installed to transfer songs from pc - ipod, ipad, iphone and its locked down so you can't do any customisations. I'm not a fan girl of any brands I like to try new brands out and see what works for me.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Becomeing? You have been for YEARS!

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

C0bzz
Luckily I got here before most of the typical poorly thought out Apple hate begins.

Apple has (for as long as I have been paying attention) been about offering premium products such as the iPhone, Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, and iPad.

High end products such as these do not tend to be good value - however when compared with similar products from competitors, Apple products do not tend to be more expensive.

Apple products also tend to get glowing reviews from review websites.
edit on 24/12/13 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

reply to post by TiM3LoRd

Only people with no clue and no idea of what is trending will every buy an apple product because they are so behind the times they think its the best thing out there.

You have it the wrong way around. You are clueless. They are not.

I couldn't agree more!

While I'll admit that apple has never been the cheapest product line out there, their innovation and quality has always been a cut above the rest.

I remember when I bought my first IMac computer. I had owned numerous PCs prior to that and on average, I got about 3 to 4yrs. out of each one before they were completely outdated and/or packed with viruses to the point that they were unusable.

The IMac was about $400 more expensive than the comparable PC at the time and I was having a really hard time making the decision to switch to apple until the salesman told me this; He said that during his 15 years of selling computers & electronics, he had never seen a customer who switched from PC to apple go back to using PCs.

Well, I bought the apple IMac and I have to say, I'll never go back! That was 10 yrs. ago and I'm still using that IMac today, virus free and running like the day I bought it. Furthermore, it has some features that I still don't see in PCs today.

Without a doubt, the very best computer I've ever owned!

There's a couple of old sayings that are applicable here; The first is; "You get what you pay for" and the second one is; "Never be afraid to pay the most for the best, because you will always be happy with it."

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Flatfish
"Never be afraid to pay the most for the best, because you will always be happy with it."

Except for the fact that what's best is determined by each person or business individually. Their is no point in trying to convince a MAC user , a PC user or a Linux user that any other architecture/OS is the best.

What's the best for you wouldn't be the best for me and whats best for me wouldn't be the best for you based on your being a MAC user. It's sort of naive to use a closed architecture with a much smaller distribution footprint like MACs have and then say "I never get a virus" like that is a big technical accomplishment. Again, I'm not trying to debate which one is better as that never goes anywhere. All 3 eco-systems are vital in the modern world. It's accurate to say that the PC and Linux architecture drive the business world while the MAC drives the artistic world.

As for the OP talking about selling out based on pricing being different in the 70/80s.. Welcome to modern world.
edit on 2013pAmerica/Chicago3108pam by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

paranormal78
I have noticed numerous attempts by apple becoming a 'sell out'. They used to be all about making an affordable practical computer product. personaly I like Apple and their good products. But lately they have been rushing the release of new Iphone modles. Its not even cool anymore, its starting to get irritating. The puplic got the popular iPhone 4 and 4S in 2011. Now this year everyone was exited about the iPhone 5. Now all the sudden they bring out the 5S and 5c this seems to be happening after the death of Steve Jobs. I just hope they don't rush the 6 or 6S.

edit on 24-12-2013 by paranormal78 because: (no reason given)

"Rush"? "Affordable"?

They don't rush releases. Matter of fact, the technology for the next IPhone release could have been included on prior releases. But IPhone knows that they can drop a new product every few months to drive sales/profits. Even if the only real change is that it has a camera on both sides of the phone, and its microscopically smaller. They meter out innovation in a controlled manner rather than releasing it full force.

The new MOzilla phone, when it gets released, will likely actually force Apple to show some of its R&D muscle, if it exists. Until then, expect Apple to give you the most minute levels of innovation on each release while they count their huge wads of cash coming in.

As far as affordable....no. Not in the least. None of their products are affordable. They are vanity products.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Even though I have no real experience with it, I would never argue against the virtues of Linux.

I have a friend who attended MIT on full scholarship and graduated with honors in computer programming, who would never use anything but Linux. He's a computer geek who's been writing software since he was about 13 yrs. old.

I also heard that NASA converted everything in the ISS to Linux in order to avoid future virus contamination of their systems.

Actually, I believe that Linux is a prime example of the fallacy that competition in the "for-profit" world "always" produces the best, most innovative products.

On the other hand, I will never buy another computer running a Windows or Microsoft operating system.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

paranormal78
I have noticed numerous attempts by apple becoming a 'sell out'. They used to be all about making an affordable practical computer product. personaly I like Apple and their good products. But lately they have been rushing the release of new Iphone modles. Its not even cool anymore, its starting to get irritating. The puplic got the popular iPhone 4 and 4S in 2011. Now this year everyone was exited about the iPhone 5. Now all the sudden they bring out the 5S and 5c this seems to be happening after the death of Steve Jobs. I just hope they don't rush the 6 or 6S.

edit on 24-12-2013 by paranormal78 because: (no reason given)

you mean this???

well you can always buy these iphone 5's kock offs "goophone" for 50 bucks, that will put the whole apple scam in there place, as I'm all about kicking big corp right in there fracking nose! I actually bought one but that was like a week ago so it's still in the mail. Suppose to work with most major networks.

edit on 24-12-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Flatfish
On the other hand, I will never buy another computer running a Windows or Microsoft operating system.

Whatever works best for you.
My primary systems at home and at work are Windows driven and they work great so I will never buy/build anything but MSFT for personal use.

That being said I also run 3 different vboxed distros of Linux at home..

The beauty of the modern world as a PC user is you have choices and you have choices that are easy to implement.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Let's compare them. Winners bolded. The 2013 Macbook Air will hereafter be called the "Macbook Air" and the S550CA-DS51T will hereafter be called the "ASUS".

Form factor:
  • ASUS is not an ultrabook, rather it comes in a marginally slimmer than standard formfactor.
  • Macbook Air is an actual ultrabook and is significantly lighter.

Display:
  • ASUS has a 15.6' 1366x768 screen.
  • Macbook Air has a 13.3' 1440x900 screen.

CPU:
  • ASUS has i5-3317U (1.7 GHz, 2.6 GHz turbo, Ivy Bridge, 17W)
  • Macbook Air has i5-4250U (1.3 GHz, 2.6 GHz turbo, Haswell, 15W)
[1][2]
(very similar performance)

iGPU:
  • ASUS has HD4000
  • Macbook Air has HD5000
[1]

RAM:
  • ASUS has 6 GB.
  • Macbook Air has 4 GB.

Storage:
  • ASUS has 500 GB HDD.
  • Macbook Air has a 256 GB PCI-E SSD (800 MB/s sequential read speed!)

Battery Life:
  • ASUS, "up to 5 hours".
  • Macbook Air, "up to 12 hours", 11 hours under light workload, 9 hours under medium workload, 5.5 hours under heavy workload.
[1][2]

Touchscreen:
  • ASUS, YES.
  • Macbook Air, NO.

Backlit Keys:
  • ASUS, NO.
  • Macbook Air, YES.

Optical Drive:
  • ASUS, YES.
  • Macbook Air, NO.

Macbook Air also has 802.11ac instead of 802.11n.

So it weighs 2/3rds as much, slightly faster (although still slow) graphics, has much higher pixel density, has a SSD, backlit keys, and over twice the battery life. You are much better comparing the Macbook Air to the HP Spectre XT, Dell XPS13, or ASUS Zenbook Prime. Macbook is likely closer to 0 to 30% more expensive, anything higher than 30% is unbelievable unless you get something on special or a product which clearly isn't as good.

If you don't want extreme portability then get the ASUS and put a 250 GB SSD inside of it for another $150 then you have an $870 laptop. That means that the 2013 Macbook Air is 50% more expensive despite being a significantly better product.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

My only comment beyond that is my boss bought a Mac, for whatever reason. He isn't really computer savvy, and is always asking for help doing something on his computer. None of us are familiar with Mac....so there is an obvious problem for him there.

And that is why he continues to check his email via a webmail portal. He can't set up an email client.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

He isn't really computer savvy, and is always asking for help doing something on his computer. None of us are familiar with Mac....so there is an obvious problem for him there.

And that is why he continues to check his email via a webmail portal. He can't set up an email client.

This drives me nuts. I deal with an awful lot of seniors who's hipster children/grandchildren who buy them Apple products for whatever reason. Usually they repeat the tired lines of "Apple is easier" or "Apple can't get viruses."

Then they come to me livid that the nearest "genius" is two and half hours away, their kids/grandkids are too busy to help or just wont help and no computer shops within a 50 mile radius will even look at their issue once they hear the word "Apple."

Though somewhat different nothing is too different that I cant help them but it drive me nuts that with so much marketing dedicated to "ease of use" people get these things thinking they wont have to learn anything.

Even worse is the folks who get them to replace their PC's they've been using for work or whatever only to discover after the $2,000 purchase that their PC programs wont run or that there is no good Mac alternative to work with the same file type.

There's always a workaround but try teaching it to somebody who bought a Mac for "ease of use" who could barely run their old PC in the first place.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

As a phone the Goophone i5C is not very good. Because it tries to mimic the iPhone 5C it is really a mashed together hybrid that fails on several key points. The GPS doesn’t work, the launcher is sometimes hard to use and the camera makes the shutter sound too early. There are better low-end Android phones available that don’t suffer from these problems.

Having said that, if you want an iPhone 5C clone then this is a pretty good attempt. It looks like an iPhone 5C and it will easily fool the uninitiated. If looking like you own an expensive phone is more important than the overall user experience that the Goophone i5C is the perfect device for you!

www.androidauthority.com...

Anand Lal Shimpi on the iPhone 5S...:

The iPhone 5s is quite possibly the biggest S-update we've ever seen from Apple. I remember walking out of the venue during Apple's iPhone 5 launch and being blown away by the level of innovation, at the platform/silicon level, that Apple crammed into the iPhone 5. What got me last time was that Apple built their own ARM based CPU architecture from the ground up, while I understand that doesn't matter for the majority of consumers - it's no less of an achievement in my eyes.

www.anandtech.com...

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
its not a coincidence that the only people who own apple computers/phones/tablets/MP3 players;

are also the people who seem to know little about how to use computers or modern electronic technology in general.

people who know very little don't want others to know they are ignorant. its a social trait. a fear.
a higher price tag and flashy rounded corners make dumb people think its a superior item.

but anyone with even the simplest knowledge of computer specs and document use, know apple products are a children's dumbed down version of the real hardwares out there. and you pay more for it.
its a lose-lose cycle, and those not in the apple circle look at it in a sad laughing matter.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Bisman

You know so much better than these children, great thanks for keeping it real.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by paranormal78

Wow, I see a lot of hate on Apple here.

The first computer I ever used back in the 80s was an apple. I don't recall much about it, because I was so young.

Since then, I have primarily used PC/Microsoft.

A few years ago, I invested in a Mac because there were a few Mac-specific programs that I needed (or rather programs that operated better on a Mac platform). I'm now a convert. The Mac, while over-priced to a degree, is one of the best built machines I've used. It blows PC out of the water, IMO. Build, stability, performance, etc. I ALWAYS had some type of problem with the PC: if not a virus, a sluggish performance over time (ALWAYS slows down over time, whereas the Mas is as fast as day one, even with 90% system usage), hiccups, etc. I've not used any open source Linux-based systems, even though I partitioned one of my older PC's for it.

Had an android phone for a few years (very first smart phone). After the first year the performance decreased to such a degree that it barely worked. It was never dropped or abused, the system just deteriorated until I was losing business and data because of malfunction. Invested in an iPhone. Same thing: best machine hands down.

Now, is Apple "selling out?" I'd say no. I'd say they are trying to stay relevant in the market. What with all the Samsung galaxy crap, and all the other brands and new features coming out, they are trying to stay as up to date and as relevant as they can. What they have going for them, though (for the most part, until they went "plastic") is their QUALITY.

That's how I see it.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Liquesence
That's how I see it.

Great, more power to you. Enjoy the MAC.
I can tell the same story and replace it with PC.

In the end it doesn't matter and we can enjoy them all.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
people who speak of performance being better/worse on either side but can't state the specs of the hardware they use, dont know a thing about what they talk about.

a computer can't simply be better then another because you were told it is. that doesn't even make sense.
all hardware run at speeds. and those speeds determine the quality of loading and rendering and reading/writing/sending.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join