It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is Apple becoming a sellout?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
I'm left scratching my head.

I don't think life-long PC users understand or know what I mean by "reliability".

I have NEVER had to replace, repair, reformat, defrag or do anything to my Macbook in the 3 years I've had it. My older Macbook only needed a new battery and an OS update (which was free).

I'm not constantly tinkering with system settings, or watching CPU loads and memory management. I just open it up and go. When I had a custom built PC in college, I was frequently using the "three finger salute" (Ctrl+Alt+Delete).

If Steve Jobs should be remembered for ONE thing, it's that he helped make technology work for the user, not having the user work FOR the technology.

edit on 26-12-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

My cheapie off-the-shelf Toshiba laptop is now four years old and still running the same version of Windows 7 it was when I first bought it.Never had to defrag or do any sort of maintenance on it and never do anything else other than switch it on,tap a few keys and switch it off before I go to bed.It's been used every day for the last 4 years for an average of two hours a day,and still runs as fast as the day I bought it.It's lost about half an hour of battery life in that time,now I'm down to about 2 hours if it isn't plugged into a wall socket.

The point of this is why do Mac users think they're the only ones who have trouble free use of PCs? Jobs and Wosniak don't have a monopoly on reliability,I get that for a third of the price I'd have paid for a Mac.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

OccamsRazor04
...Apple has been about marketing themselves as "hip" and "cool" and then selling overpriced products to make up for their incedibly small market share.

Exactly. There is no reason for a MacBook to be 2X to 3X more expensive than a PC with comparable performance specs. The only reason I can see is that they cost so much is that they know people are willing to pay that much for the "status symbol" and "hip factor" that Apple products provide.

Apple prices their products based on what people are willing to pay, and that's their prerogative/the capitalist way.

There is nothing wrong with MacBooks; I've used them, and they are good computers. However, they are not 2X to 3X better than similar PCs.

Imagewerx
...My cheapie off-the-shelf Toshiba laptop is now four years old and still running the same version of Windows 7 it was when I first bought it.Never had to defrag or do any sort of maintenance on it and never do anything else other than switch it on,tap a few keys and switch it off before I go to bed.It's been used every day for the last 4 years for an average of two hours a day,and still runs as fast as the day I bought it.It's lost about half an hour of battery life in that time,now I'm down to about 2 hours if it isn't plugged into a wall socket.

The point of this is why do Mac users think they're the only ones who have trouble free use of PCs? Jobs and Wosniak don't have a monopoly on reliability,I get that for a third of the price I'd have paid for a Mac.

I've had 2 PCs in the past 7 years at my current job (a Dell and a Sony Vaio). I've never had an issue with reliability with those, nor with my Asus home PC laptop.

I used Macs at my previous job, and my wife has a MacBook for work, as well as my daughter for college (her college preferred them to have Macs over PCs), and I think Macs are fine, too -- but I don't see any difference in performance or reliability. I don't think the MacBooks are worth the extra money that they cost.

edit on 12/31/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

<< 2  3  4   >>

join