It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is Apple becoming a sellout?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I have noticed numerous attempts by apple becoming a 'sell out'. They used to be all about making an affordable practical computer product. personaly I like Apple and their good products. But lately they have been rushing the release of new Iphone modles. Its not even cool anymore, its starting to get irritating. The puplic got the popular iPhone 4 and 4S in 2011. Now this year everyone was exited about the iPhone 5. Now all the sudden they bring out the 5S and 5c this seems to be happening after the death of Steve Jobs. I just hope they don't rush the 6 or 6S.

edit on 24-12-2013 by paranormal78 because: (no reason given)

+22 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   

paranormal78
I have noticed numerous attempts by apple becoming a 'sell out'. They used to be all about making an affordable practical computer product.

Apple hasn't been about being affordable for well over 20 years now ...

Apple has been about marketing themselves as "hip" and "cool" and then selling overpriced products to make up for their incedibly small market share.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Affordable and practical?

Their operating paradigm since the first iPod became trendy has been and continues to be "overpriced and trendy sells".

Overpriced and trendy does indeed sell too, because Asch Conformity.
Make everyone think that everyone else is buying it and everyone will.

Oh, silly people.

edit on 12/24/2013 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by paranormal78

Actually, Steve Jobs wanted a product that looked and felt expensive. He has never chased 'affordable'. He wanted a product people would be proud to own, show off a little bit.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04

Apple hasn't been about being affordable for well over 20 years now ...

Apple has been about marketing themselves as "hip" and "cool" and then selling overpriced products to make up for their incredibly small market share.

Agree completely. To me the type of person who buys an Apple product is the same type of person who will spend £150 on a pair of jeans because they have the right label on them- the sort of person who equates more cost to greater quality. In some areas this is true, but once a brand has marketing power you can wave goodbye to that.

Take MP3 player versus iPod for example. Tunes bought for the MP3 player have no DRM, are cheaper and can be played on anything. Not so with the iPod.

iPhone. What can it do better than an Android phone?

iPad. It's just a tablet. Mini-me is obsessed by the Apple allure, but when asked why he says "it's an iPhone/iPad/iPod (delete as applicable)- it's better" To be fair he's only 11 & thus the arguments for and against are somewhat lost on him, but it shows how good the marketing is.

I'll stick with Android, and save my money.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   
BECOMING???? LMAO what have you been watching?

Apple is the biggest over hyped POS on the market.

Only people with no clue and no idea of what is trending will every buy an apple product because they are so behind the times they think its the best thing out there.

HAHAHA, classic. Buying an apple because they made smart phones mainstream is like buying a ford because they made cars affordable a 100 years ago..

Merry Christmas suckers

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Luckily I got here before most of the typical poorly thought out Apple hate begins.

Apple has (for as long as I have been paying attention) been about offering premium products such as the iPhone, Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, and iPad.

High end products such as these do not tend to be good value - however when compared with similar products from competitors, Apple products do not tend to be more expensive.

Apple products also tend to get glowing reviews from review websites.
edit on 24/12/13 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

reply to post by TiM3LoRd

Only people with no clue and no idea of what is trending will every buy an apple product because they are so behind the times they think its the best thing out there.

You have it the wrong way around. You are clueless. They are not.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

Apple existed before the iPod you know.

As for Apple becoming a sellout, I use Apple (or Mac's) daily. I was introduced to Mac machines at an early age in the late 80's. Since then, I've just been used to using them and am "stuck" in the closed loop of software. I've also grown to prefer them, despite owning a few non-Mac's. I still own my first G4 Pismo with OS 9.2.

With that being said, I don't know if Apple is (or is in the process of) a sellout. I can however mention the "culture change". There were from what I perceived two cultures. The main one before 1998 being mostly of "nerds" who loved Apple because it was different. They claimed hardware and software superiority. (And in many cases, rightfully so.) Then Apple released the color iMacs and the colored iBooks a year or two later. A new culture appeared that was all about fun. It was "fun" to use an iMac, it showed you took chances. This lasted for a while, probably up until 2006ish.

It then started to become more of a "I'm a Mac user and you suck" kinda thing. I view many Mac users the same way I view pretentious Prius owners. "I'm saving the earth, what are YOU doing?". (Disclaimer: Not all Prius owners are pretentious.)

Being a Mac user isn't about having fun, it's about showing you're "better" then others. You're more "socially aware". I can't stand it and have become more and more reluctant to pull out my MacBook Air in public. (Seriously.)

Now I'm not saying all Mac users are pretentious hipsters, but that's the way it's starting to look like. I had a discussion with a friend the other day that claimed I was an idiot and "not a real Mac user" because I also had a Windows computer. I had to kindly remind him that Mac's now use Intel processors and can dual boot into Windows. And that unlike him, I've been using a Mac since 1988, whereas he got into the "fad" with the iPhone and only recently bought a MacBook Pro.

I don't know where I'm going with all this, I just had to rant.

Sincerely,
A Mac user that isn't a fanboy of anything.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Sorry. let me explain what I meant by affordable and practical. I was refrencing the first gen historical apple computers from the 70's and 80's. Compared to giant million dolor science computers at the time, apple computers or back then 'Macintosh' computers were way more affordable than the alternative for personal applications.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   

C0bzzHigh end products such as these do not tend to be good value - however when compared with similar products from competitors, Apple products do not tend to be more expensive.

Wrong. Speaking as someone that owned a computer business ... wrong wrong wrong. Apple is 50-100% costlier at the minimum for similar performance. My $699 laptop outperforms $2000+ Apple laptops.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   

paranormal78
Sorry. let me explain what I meant by affordable and practical. I was refrencing the first gen historical apple computers from the 70's and 80's. Compared to giant million dolor science computers at the time, apple computers or back then 'Macintosh' computers were way more affordable than the alternative for personal applications.

You must think it was Apple or "supercomputers". This is false. My family had a Leading Edge computer in the 80's.

I have no idea what the comparison between IBM/Apple was in the 80s, but Apple has not been affordable for a very long time now.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Apple is simple and stylish, but the OS is horrible. With Android I can customize everything without having to jailbreak my phone, and I will never own an Apple product. They aren't bad, but it's just not worth having a phone that can only do half as much as a Samsung Galaxy. iPhones are like American Eagle, Hollister.... they are cool and trendy, but all materialistic. Go on hipsters and preps, have fun using the same exact phone everyone else has, I'll ahve my pwn unique phone with a larger screen, that operates faster, and has 90 times more options. Not to mention, Android uses many platforms, IOS uses only 2 (iphone 4 and 5)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

Apple does more than just phones ....

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Ah... what?

Let me make something clear. Apple have NEVER bought out an affordable product, not in their entire history. If they had, then there would be no human being born in the western developed world, that could not, with half a days pay in their pocket, walk into an apple store, and come out with an iPad and a fist full of change.

The stuff is RIDICULOUSLY expensive, and always has been in my experience. Someone I know paid SIX HUNDRED POUNDS for an iPhone when they first came out, and that is just straight up inappropriate. You should never charge for what amounts to a glorified mobile phone, the same amount as one would ask for a second hand motor car.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
No one on this thread is talking sense. its all about I hate and and like and this is good but no sense.
I have used both iphone and android and I prefer android for the linux framework which has endless possibilities. amazing things can be done with a jailbroken iphone as well. i think the killer phone wise was that screensize thing. apple's apps have always been ahead of android. but that is nearly mute now.

I have used both windows and mac os as I own a macbook pro. like android vs. ios I think apple products are very nicely built but are a little dumbed down to make them more reliable. however, they have not kept updating they're legacy ipads (Only 3 years old) and that upsets me, now my ipad is buggy and doesn't run 1/5 apps.

In the end all I can say is It's nice to have options in the marketplace. maybe someday there will be more options that are all interchangeable.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by nrd101

The problem is not that Apple and iOS is good, it's that Windows is atrocious. As far as hardware goes, Apple is and has been way behind for price/performance.

If there was a decent OS for PC then there would be no competition at all.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Let's go through the Apple laptop / desktop lineup:

Macbook Air is roughly equivalent to Ultrabooks from competitors such as Dell, HP and ASUS. TBF, I prefer the ASUS Zenbook Prime since it has a full-HD screen (but no keyboard backlighting). It is priced similarly to competitors too.

Macbook Pro w/Retina display is effectively the best laptop you can possibly get. Last I have checked (maybe 6 months ago) nothing could rival its combination of form factor, build quality, acoustics, and display. $2000 is reasonable for a "2.3 GHz" Quad, and 256G GB SSD.

iMac is expensive but real thing you're paying for is the extremely accurate screen, doesn't have much going for it other than that.

I don't know enough about the MacMini (at first glance it seems OK value) or the Mac Pro to make any judgement calls about them.

Also no, your $699 laptop does not outperform >$2000 Apple laptops since it likely has a abysmal outdated TN 1366x768 panel instead of a 2880x1800 IPS panel (5 times as many pixels), and no SSD. My search on online retailers has confirmed this. Can you get a cheap and nasty laptop that happens to have a processor that approaches that found in the Macbook Pro? Sure. The rest of the laptop will be nothing more than a pile of junk however.

If you owned a "computer business" then I am surprised you did not know this.

As far as hardware goes, Apple is and has been way behind for price/performance.

Price/Performance is only one metric, of many. Others are absolute performance, form factor, acoustics, build quality, and display.

If all you care about is price/performance, which is a reasonable assumption given it's all you have commented on regarding hardware in Apple computers, then the only thing I can say is that you should enjoy your cheap and nasty laptop, the market is saturated with similar products.

I don't have own a Mac but I'll enjoy my silent, 2560x1440, dual screen, massive SSD, overclocked, beast of a workstation, whose prime considerations were most definitely not price/performance.

The problem is not that Apple and iOS is good, it's that Windows is atrocious. As far as hardware goes, Apple is and has been way behind for price/performance.

If there was a decent OS for PC then there would be no competition at all.

So out of 3 major PC operating systems (Linux distributions, Windows, and iOS) you don't consider any to be 'decent'? And yet nobody is challenging them? Seems to be that the problem is your unreasonable expectations.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

C0bzz

Let's go through the Apple laptop / desktop lineup:

Macbook Air is roughly equivalent to Ultrabooks from competitors such as Dell, HP and ASUS. TBF, I prefer the ASUS Zenbook Prime since it has a full-HD screen (but no keyboard backlighting). It is priced similarly to competitors too.

ETA: I like Linux, but compatability .....
I bolded where each product is WORSE than the competitor. For DOUBLE the money the Macbook Air is a little lighter and slightly better (maybe) video card, while being worse or even everwhere else.

Asus VivoBook S550CA-DS51T
$719

PRODUCT SPECS:

Hard Drive Size: 500 GB
Processor: Intel Core i5 3317U(1.70GHz)
Memory: 6 GB
Screen Size: 15.6"
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Weight: 5.1 lbs

Macbook Air
$1300

PRODUCT SPECS:

Hard Drive Size: 256 GB
Processor: Intel Core i5 3317U(1.70GHz)
Memory: 4 GB
Screen Size: 13"
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5000
Weight: 3 lbs
edit on 24-12-2013 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Apple is the Sharper Image of computers.

Look no further than the new $3,000 Pro.

I just put together a Mini-ITX that blows it away for about $700.

Expensive status symbol junk.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
So some people don't like apple I have one sentence for you

" There's an app for that "

don't get too angry that this brand is better than this brand. The corporations want you to fight against their competitors and scary bit is when your loyal corporations are being attacked they will want you to kill for them and to protect them in the near future. This is based on my theory

Happy Holidays enjoy yourself life is short for negativity
x

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join