It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is Apple becoming a sellout?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Bisman

Not to mention heat dissipation.

I am using a 6 year old Dell laptop running WinXP. It runs today just like it did on day 1. I don't know what they are talking about, myself. I suppose if you don't know how to care for your machine, you might want one that costs more but needs less maintenance. But the key is that they need less maintenance because they are less popular, and thus less of a target for malware builders.

Regardless, i have no issues with my old laptop I am using. I make all my art on it. My wifes 10 year old laptop...it runs well too. Except it wasn't made for modern software, and can only really browse using Chrome.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I've found that people who don't like Apple products usually can't afford them. They tell themselves that their buggy Android phone is superior, and costs less. Then, they make excuses for the micro USB port getting loose halfway through their contract ... *eyeroll*

I've had my 4s since it came out without ANY problems. It's just as fast as the day I activated it. My girlfriend's HTC One-X is junk. The power port is loose, you can't ever seem to get all the spyware off of it. It's half as fast as it was brand new, and the photos it takes aren't half as good as the 4s (even though the One-X has more megapixels).

I gave my 6 year old Macbook to my girlfriend after her Acer laptop died. It was older than her Acer, but it worked flawlessly. Now, after over a year with it -- I don't think she'd want to switch back. Why?

It. Just. Works.

I'll pay double for a product that lasts and does what its supposed to do reliably for years.

Why buy 10 pairs of crappy jeans when all you really need is 1 higher quality pair that will out last those 10 pairs? It's called quality over quantity -- but in America, quantity seems to be the "hip" thing. To have more, more, more -- even if it's junk.

Android users claim that their phone (such as the new Galaxy's) can do all these neat things like follow your eyes. I think that is a complete waste of battery, and really gimicky.

Apple is good at including features that are actually useful to their users. I don't need a phone can scan my face to unlock. How about I hold up a picture of someone's face? What if the light is low? What if I need someone else to unlock my phone while I'm driving?

Apple needs a new product, they need the "next big thing". Now that Jobs is gone, Apple is really in trouble. They need to innovate and keep things fresh -- because as I've stated:

Americans would rather have lower quality items if it means they are less expensive.

The only way to convince people to spend more money on a product is to make it innovative and refreshing. Apple hasn't really done much in that department in a while. We have rumors of the iWatch, but Samsung beat Apple to market with their "Gear" watch.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

TiM3LoRd
BECOMING???? LMAO what have you been watching?

Apple is the biggest over hyped POS on the market.

Only people with no clue and no idea of what is trending will every buy an apple product because they are so behind the times they think its the best thing out there.

HAHAHA, classic. Buying an apple because they made smart phones mainstream is like buying a ford because they made cars affordable a 100 years ago..

Merry Christmas suckers

I have a couple Apple products, and let me tell you, they are the MOST reliable and quality products on the market today. Wouldn't want anything else at ANY price.

You get what you pay for...just sayin

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

MystikMushroom

Why buy 10 pairs of crappy jeans when all you really need is 1 higher quality pair that will out last those 10 pairs? It's called quality over quantity

This is the philosophy I follow...and I couldn't agree any more than you on this note.

Caution note: Something that is quality may get damaged in the process of utility....and most consumers know this and that is why they go cheaper buy shopping on quantity and low cost.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Agreed. People seem to hate on Apple for a few reasons:

1. They can't afford Apple products

2. They like replacing their phones/computers all the time (I know I don't...?)

3. They don't understand that over time they'll spend as much buying 2-3 smart phones vs. just one.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Usually, something that is higher quality also carries with it better warranties and customer service. It's cheaper/easier to repair or replace a higher end item.

It may hurt the pocketbook more, and I may have to save up for a new Apple product, but it'll outlast any PC/Android product by years.

I still have a first generation iPod touch that works flawlessly. I don't think another brand would still be ticking along.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
I've found that people who don't like Apple products usually can't afford them. They tell themselves that their buggy Android phone is superior, and costs less. Then, they make excuses for the micro USB port getting loose halfway through their contract ... *eyeroll*

I can afford any MAC I want..I just have no need or desire to run one in my job or at home so I run multiple PC's and Linux boxes.

I can think of at least 4 flagship Droid phones that I would take before the flagship iPhone..and just so you don't think I'm biased..I have a Droid, iPhone and Windows phone from work and use them all extensively based on different projects.

If using a MAC makes you feel special then great...enjoy.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

So this discussion isn't about the pro's/con's of the various devices, but rather is a display of social class?

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

AliceBleachWhite
Affordable and practical?

Their operating paradigm since the first iPod became trendy has been and continues to be "overpriced and trendy sells".

Overpriced and trendy does indeed sell too, because Asch Conformity.
Make everyone think that everyone else is buying it and everyone will.

Oh, silly people.

edit on 12/24/2013 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

From 1978 to 1988, Apple products were fairly expensive and mainstream popular, but not trendy.
From about 1988 to 1997 Apple products were overpriced and not trendy.
From 1997 to present, Apple products were fairly expensive and trendy.

It certainly wasn't "Asch Conforimity" which has kept people buying Mac computers since most people weren't buying them, and everybody knew it.

And yes, when I was starting to make some good money I purchased a 27" iMac, after decades of PC's & Linux. It's exceptionally nice. I liked it because of its physical design and lack of clutter on the desk, the extraordinarily good screen, and the speed of MacOS X. I dual boot with Windows 7 so I can directly compare efficiencies on the identical hardware. MacOS improves its speed with almost every inexpensive (and now free) upgrade. Windows grinds its disk more and more with time even though I frequently clean things up.

I don't use Linux at home any more. I also have an iPad which is good for what it does. Don't have an iPhone because the service is overpriced and screen is too small for my fingers---moto x on republic instead.

edit on 24-12-2013 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-12-2013 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Bisman
its not a coincidence that the only people who own apple computers/phones/tablets/MP3 players;

are also the people who seem to know little about how to use computers or modern electronic technology in general.

Pretty much, they buy it because it is marketed and yes, it is a clean "easy" product, but with less options. I love to dig down deep into my Android, Samsung Galaxy (Currently S3 but going to S4 soon) and it isn't hard for me at all, it's just you need to spend the first day playing around. But my Apple friends pretty much own every Apple product. Heck, my one friend had an iphone 4, and an ipod, then he got the iphone 5s, and carries all 3 with him, one to use as a phone, one to play games, and one for music. A friend of a friend has ipod, iphone, ipad, imac, whatever else apple has, and he gets the new products when they come out. Apparently the iphone 6 is already being advertised so how long until that is out, when the 5s and 5c just came out.
edit on 12/24/13 by SixX18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

MystikMushroom

Yet Apple still refuses to put a micro USB port on board. I can't tell you how many times I am asked at work "Do you have an iphone charger?" Now they even made everyone go buy new chargers for the new charge port. Just switch to usb apple.

I've had my 4s since it came out without ANY problems. My girlfriend's HTC One-X is junk. The power port is loose, you can't ever seem to get all the spyware off of it. It's half as fast as it was brand new.

Well maybe she should take better care of her hardware and software, probably downloads the wrong apps without knowing what to look for with spyware.

I'll pay double for a product that lasts and does what its supposed to do reliably for years.

And that's what Apple wants you to do, pay more $

Why buy 10 pairs of crappy jeans when all you really need is 1 higher quality pair that will out last those 10 pairs?

Because people should be able to do laundry and not smell bad with dirty clothes.

edit on 12/24/13 by SixX18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
In my home I have a crazy fat windows machine I use for web surfing, gaming and business applications.
I have a Mac Air for graphics based applications as nothing can compare for desktop publishing and it is much easier for my non tech girl to use.
I have an I-Pad I use for mobile business and mobile credit card processing.
All of my phones are Android and for now will remain that way.

All of my machines and both brands do different things. Nothing can compare to Mac for ease of use (especially for non techies) and graphics applications. Nothing can beat the gaming ability or ease of repair than a PC.

Get the point? To me the wars between the platforms and the people involved are just as stupid as bi-partisan politics. Both sides have their strong points, both have weaknesses. IMO only an idiot thinks one is better than the other.
edit on 24-12-2013 by Mamatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
not being able to afford it Lol. classic apple lover comment.
so to you, its just a wealth class you put yourself in and pat yourself on the back for.
you display the apple logo to society to place yourselves above others. beautiful.

not so much the case.
anyone who knows anything about electronics knows of the shopping ratio to go by. specifically for hardware specs on computers.

the tri-ratio
price:power:time-left-till-till-outdated-by-x2power

the only acceptable part of the 3 that apple has ever fallen into was the power category.
not so ironically, the part that is easily competed by any other brand.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Bisman
not being able to afford it Lol. classic apple lover comment.
so to you, its just a wealth class you put yourself in and pat yourself on the back for.
you display the apple logo to society to place yourselves above others. beautiful.

not so much the case.
anyone who knows anything about electronics knows of the shopping ratio to go by. specifically for hardware specs on computers.

the tri-ratio
price:power:time-left-till-till-outdated-by-x2power

the only acceptable part of the 3 that apple has ever fallen into was the power category.
not so ironically, the part that is easily competed by any other brand.

That's why my laptop is an Alienware has dual gtx 680m in sli ready for any game I throw at it at max settings great gaming laptop with good cooling.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

It's important to note that the hardware comparisons aren't true comparisons when it comes to the harddrive. Sure, the size of the MBA's drive may be smaller, but it's also an SSD drive which adds a lot of performance. The Asus VivoBook has a "hybrid" harddrive with 24GB SSD which isn't as good but a nice alternative in regards to space/price.

It'd be good to denote such differences in the future when comparing the hardware.

Also, the Intel HD4000 and the HD5000 are virtually the same. So naturally, if you're a Windows user the VivoBook makes a heck of a lot more sense. But if you're in the Mac ecosystem, it's just NOT an option due to software.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Apple did a good thing in creating a very intuitive GUI for some people. They also had a good business decision to flood schools with Apple products so that kids would be more familiar with it.

The hardware isnt really different though. Apple uses the same internals as any other computer, but they tend to drop its performance down in favor of reliability. Beyond that, they can put proprietary locks on the relationship between the hardware and software/OS. A tactic that is now widely used in the cell phone market.

I think one of the main issues with comparison is that people use a company like Dell vs Apple, but that doesnt represent the whole market. Building your own PC by buying individual pieces can be significantly more cost effective than buying from any company. It also allows you to underclock (or overclock) at will instead of having it locked down through proprietary means. The cost efficiency of this avenue increases when you buy quality parts for the pieces that can be transferred to many new builds (like the case, PSU, storage, disc drives).

One area that this is not readily available is laptops, there isnt anything like the DIY desktop market. The same goes for cellphones (though this might change). Its a closer competition between Apple and its competitors in these markets, and will largely come down to personal preference imo.

As far as "selling out" goes, well.. its a major corporation. They go beyond that at their level, people sell out to them and not necessarily the other way around.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by MystikMushroom

So this discussion isn't about the pro's/con's of the various devices, but rather is a display of social class?

If you want something bad enough you will work your ass off to get it.

That is a life lesson we all need to follow.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Not the same as boiling it down to "afford".

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

C0bzz
That means that the 2013 Macbook Air is 50% more expensive despite being a significantly better product.
edit on 24/12/13 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

Ummm no. And as far as weight goes the ASUS is a much LARGER product, so the weight will be larger. A similar sized Macbook Air would weigh the same. For comparison the 13.3" ASUS is 3.2lbs. You compare the different screens of the two, yet completely leave out the fact the ASUS is a TOUCHSCREEN. You mention it, then ignore it later.

The performance would be fairly similar on the two products I listed.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Bisman

its not a coincidence that the only people who own apple computers/phones/tablets/MP3 players; are also the people who seem to know little about how to use computers or modern electronic technology in general.

Yet I know plenty of Electrical Engineers and Mechanical Engineers who use Apple products - in particular the Macbook Pro and the iPhone. Anand Lal Shimpi founder of Anandtech (and a computer engineer) also uses a Macbook.

So it would seem that the people who hate Apple products know very little about electronics or computers in general.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join