It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian and US scientists reverse ageing in mice, humans could be next

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Australian and US researchers have developed a compound which reverses muscle ageing in mice, saying it could be one of the keys to reversing ageing in humans.

When used in trials, the compound gave mice more energy, toned their muscles, reduced inflammation, and led to big improvements in insulin resistance.

Scientists say it actually reversed the ageing process, not just slowing it down, and say that for humans the effect would be similar to a 60-year-old feeling like a 20-year-old.

Australian and US scientists reverse ageing in mice, humans could be next

This is an interesting area of health. Many are trying nootropics, anti oxidants, vitamins, stem cells and even telomere and HGH therapies. Until this article, there was not a clear vector for age reversal... Age reversal is not the same as age regression which would mean time would reverse and you would grow younger like Ben Button.. It is also not the same as reducing or extending aging...

You can see the researcher in the video.... he is giddy... not normal for scientists... Australians have turned science on their head before... last with a Nobel for finding out that gastric ulcers could be cured with an antibiotic... now they take on death and taxes... or at least the quality of life while we are still around..

In this mouse model, they took elderly rats and treated them with a specific molecule which allows the DNA of the cells central nucleus to communicate with the RNA of the mitochondria. By improving this communication, the cell was able to operate properly and became rejuvenated as though all the cells in the rat became post pubescent.

This happened in 7 days... yes... an age reversal from a human like age of 60 to 20 occurred in the rats.

The summary link from Cell for those a bit more scientifically prone... as follows..

www.cell.com...

and the Americans lead by Ronald Depinho

www.nature.com...

Google's new venture will likely be interested... as I am sure my father will also be..

edit on 20-12-2013 by R_Clark because: Grammar

edit on 20-12-2013 by R_Clark because: Grammar and Credits

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
My wife is a Scientist.

They are working on restoring tendons with this same Science.

I wish I was smart enough to understand it....But, I hope they hurry up.

S&F. This is a fascinating discovery.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by R_Clark

for humans the effect would be similar to a 60-year-old feeling like a 20-year-old.

Yuck, the idea of a bunch of 60+ year old people running (hobbling?) around acting like they're 20 is kind of disturbing and creepy. Especially in light of their bodies still being 60ish.

I'm sure TPTB are throwing everything they can into it though. Don't expect average people will be allowed to partake even if it's perfected.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Sorry if I did not express this properly... The sixty year olds would have 20 year old bodies (ie the cells work as they did when the person just finished puberty around 18 to 20)... which would bring about other eheww problems for you like dating a hot 60 year old or finding out that the date you just had was even an 80 year old in a 20 year old body....

which may mean we have good old Henry Kissinger, everyone's favorite ... around for a while longer..

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Bassago
reply to post by R_Clark

for humans the effect would be similar to a 60-year-old feeling like a 20-year-old.

Yuck, the idea of a bunch of 60+ year old people running (hobbling?) around acting like they're 20 is kind of disturbing and creepy. Especially in light of their bodies still being 60ish.

I'm sure TPTB are throwing everything they can into it though. Don't expect average people will be allowed to partake even if it's perfected.

Don't worry. When you'll turn 60, we won't give it to you. Till then...well, keep on blabbering.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Further confirms my belief that Death from aging is a disease encoded in DNA and could therefor be eliminated. Now those that worry about over population if we do unlock the key to immortality there will still be morons who die of other causes...

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by R_Clark

Nice idea, now they will have an unending supply of unhealthy young folk.
Maybe science should work on the real problems like disease.
Unless they are just looking for a wider audience for their drugs that is...
I wouldn't mind turning back the clock 30 years or so, only if I was as healthy as I was 30 years ago.
But to be young and unhealthy, forget it.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by R_Clark

OK thanks, that sounds a little bit better.

reply to post by Telos

Nice but at my age blabbering is mostly past (but not always) I dribble now.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I do not want to live forever. I would sure not mind feeling like my bones and muscles were 30 years younger though. It is a shame that this will take more years to get past the FDA than I will likely be alive.

I do not think the planet could handle humans living much longer than they do. It would be wonderful to at least not feel old though.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by R_Clark

This would be AWESOME. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to live forever, but to not wake up in pain every day, that would be something.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

I do not worry about everyone living forever, Just the evil people that run the show. Can you imagine if Dick Cheney never died? These old ass ancient jerk politicians and controllers of humanity would never go away.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I wonder, Does metabolism have a huge effect on this? Only in regards to the seven day w!ndow. I thought rats had an insanely fast metabolic rate compared to humans.
edit on Fri05052Fri, 20 Dec 2013 14:05:05 -0600u1231FridayAmerica/Chicago by DisgruntledPatriot because: spelling

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by R_Clark

I don't know, the idea of a hot 20 year old with 80 years of know-how between the sheets seems like a hell of an up side.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DisgruntledPatriot

Sometimes people get a little more than just experience over the years...

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by R_Clark

I wonder though if we had medical issues in our sixties, would we still have those issues in our rejuvinated bodies? Would a bad back repair itself for instance Compressed discs?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by R_Clark

Swell, now its even harder to get rid of my mouse problem.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by R_Clark

I'm sure that may be of some help to the ageing ... but I doubt that it will help those

who have 'abused' their bodies prior to ageing :-

* Alcoholics

* Smokers

* Drug addicts

* The obese

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
This reminds me of Larry Niven's (a science fiction author) Known Space series, where humans eventually develop something called "Boosterspice", which stops the aging process. You have to keep taking it though. If you start at 20, your physical age stays there. If you stop taking it down the road, your body began to age normally, so if you couldn't take it for another 20 years, your body would age to 40 and if you started taking it again then, you'd simply remain at age 40.

I do wonder: how long does this last? In other words, it regressed the age let us say from 60 back to 20....do you then age normally again? Or do you have to keep taking the compound?

As others have asked: would this reverse certain problems, say a Type 2 diabetic? I can't see it getting rid of cancer.

I can see all sorts of social problems however: You're 70, getting your social security check....now you are physically 30, and able to work just fine....do you continue to get your SS check?

Kids waiting on Grandma to kick the bucket so they get her nest egg saved away....only now Grandma is 20, wearing skin tight jeans and is hitting the clubs at night! Hehhehehehehe.

As others mentioned: we'd still have people dying from other causes: diseases that this does not fix, accidents, crime, war, etc. But I do wonder how much this would affect the world's population....

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Oh goody! Now the wage slaves can work forever! With ever-increasing cost of living, and falling wages, no average person would ever be able to retire, as they'd always be fit enough to work, thus, continually filling the pockets of the "slave owners".

Add to this the eventual necessity of "slaughterhouses" for getting rid of the incorrigibles (those that refuse to blend in with the rest of the herd), or perhaps those are the ones that will be refused this treatment in the first place, or they'd be forced (as the poorest often were in the old days) into the front lines of the military as human shields to remove them.

I realize that this post is rather fanciful and paranoid, but it is not out of the realm of possibility.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join