It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian and US scientists reverse ageing in mice, humans could be next

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
From time to time over the last 15 years I’ve read articles/papers on this topic, and it fascinates me. It’s not like it’s fringe science or just wishful thinking. It’s supported by mainstream science, and has been the subject of intense research at the biggest, most prestigious institutions in the world for some time now. Some of the world’s leading geneticists, biologists, etc have invested a great deal of time and brain power in advancing this effort. Everything I’ve been reading indicates that the ability to reverse ageing, and then literally stop it in it’s tracks, is now just around the corner. Many of us here now reading this thread will likely live to witness the first applications of the new technology.

Aubrey de Grey, a renowned geneticist at Cambridge and leading authority, has been preaching this concept for many years now. Google him and read some of his articles/papers. I remember him making a statement in one of his articles that, “The first person to live to be 1,000 years old is certainly alive today …whether they realize it or not, barring accidents and suicide, most people now 40 years or younger can expect to live for centuries.”

Well, maybe that’s acheivable, maybe not. However, when the technology does becomes available, I’m sure it’s application will initially be severely restricted to a select group of the super-rich, powerful and elite. Oh well...

Just think, though, we’ve finally discovered the Fountain of Youth. Amazing, but also really scarey at the same time; in many ways. This will raise so very many difficult questions about our Human condition and our place in the world; philosophically, religiously, scientifically and pragmatically. I’m sure the debate over these issues will become white hot.

I’m more and more of the opinion that due to our rapidly advancing technologies, we’re quickly approaching a crossroads. Some BIG decisions will need to be made soon, and depending on the choices we make, we will either evolve into a world of wonder and magic, or we will annihilate ourselves due to our greedy, self-serving nature. Unfortunately, I tend to believe the latter will likely be the road we take.

This is almost Twilight Zone stuff. I love that show...

Cheers!!

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

eletheia
reply to post by R_Clark

I'm sure that may be of some help to the ageing ... but I doubt that it will help those

who have 'abused' their bodies prior to ageing :-

* Alcoholics

* Smokers

* Drug addicts

* The obese

All those people fair pretty well during their earlier years, so don't bet the house. Alcoholism and drug addiction is something that takes many, many years for people to actually suffer the detrimental effects. And most of the illnesses and side effects are caused more by the stigma rather than the actual effects of the substances, or side effects of impure chemicals because they are not legal substances with no quality control.

And cancer is something that does not effect people evenly.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Having read the article in question and the postings there are a few things that can be stated.
There are processes in the body that happen a different ages, and allows for one to develop and mature. While it may seem appealing that they can make someone who is 60 act and look like they are 20 again, the question is are we prepared for the ramifications of such? And how would it affect the organs in the body? Take the brain, or even the heart, As the body progresses in age, there is the onset of different problems that occur.
Unless they can take care of the causes of the heart disease or dementia, then making a 60 year old having the body of a 20 year old that is no longer in their right mind or has a heart attack in 5 years seems kind of cruel, and sadistic.

If they can take care of the age related diseases, and reverse some of the damage from living, then it makes no difference at all, if they can reverse the aging or not. If they are able to change the human body to where those kinds of disease are eradicated, then it would be a blessing.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

As someone who has a herniated thorasic and lumbar disk, the answer is yes and no.

Discs can repair themselves over time although the repair leaves the disc weak and prone to future issues.

Weak back muscles exacerbate this problem tenfold. Keep your back strong, and you take pressure of the discs and the chance for reinjury diminishes. Being younger with a higher metabolism means healing happens faster and you can build muscle more effectively. When I initially hurt my neck and herniated my disk there, the rehab was literally a few weeks for full recovery. My most recent relapse took me almost two months to mend from.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

I dont see it like that.

Most of us work 40hr jobs for two reasons: pay for the house and pay for the kids. Once the house and kids are done, expenses drop off pretty rapidly. Most people work full time after that to save for the day when they physically cant work so I could imagine a scenario where one works part time or part of the year indefinitely after age 50 or 60.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

# I was thinking more that obesity causes many problems, and people are becoming

obese at a much younger age than ever before?

# The lungs of a smoker effected by the tar and nicotine in cigarettes starts as soon

as someone starts smoking and most start smoking when still at school?

# Young under age children are heavily into 'binge drinking' these days and I have

seen programmes where they are suffering from 'liver' diseases by the age of 20 years

[that is in the UK] could be different elsewhere?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Well that there just downright sucks. It's been a year and a week for me with my back injury. I'm getting better, but it's a slow road. 9 herniated or compressed discs. I haven't slept on a bed in almost a year.

I'd volunteer for the study at this point.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Well, skepticism is keeping me from being hopeful about this overall.
I mean, it sounds excellent. quality of life is paramount in our lifetime and a hyper-extended youthful body would resolve a lot of issues in modern society (retirement, SS, etc), but yeah...next comes skepticism.

First off, I have been hearing about such miracle age reversal stuff for 20 years, from both msm in some form, to of course the endless snake oil salesmen alternative stuff and everything in between. My hope is that this is something new, but I am accustom to it being the same ole same ole nothing life changing.

Then comes the first hurdle crossing of ok, so lets say it actually is groundbreaking. What then? I suspect it will be something for the most wealthy and influential only for a considerably long time, prohibitively expensive to the average joe (much less 3rd world nations and the like). Even though the benefits would be outstanding for society, end of the day, capitalism cares not for benefits, simply for bottom line...so our structure of extraordinary selfishness wouldn't let almost all of us experience much benefit from this.

But I can still hope that the first two issues are overcome quickly and we all benefit as a species from it. I will try to keep my doubting to a minimum, but unfortunately it wouldn't surprise me if this is the last we hear of it.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Now that is something else to think about:

As stated, this won't change your addiction to something, it won't remove the tar in your lungs...it won't make you magically thin (if you're obese at 60, this would simply make you obese at 20).....

However, what about younger and future generations?

Most of us live with the knowledge that even if we take care of ourselves, do not imbibe in things that damage your health, eat healthy and keep exercising, that we might still pass on at the age of 76, 86....maybe 96?

But what if now, you are growing up knowing that: you can be young again. Your effective life span has now doubled. Tripled? Even more?

If you knew that it was possible now, for you to live a very, very long time....and without the debilitating symptoms of "old age".........would you still do things that put your life at risk?

Many thrill seekers tend to think that old saying: "You only live once!" or "You want to live forever?" before doing that bungee jump from a 1,000 foot drop. Or before jumping out of a plane....hoping that your chute was packed correctly and will deploy correctly from 15,000 feet in the air.

I'm sure it would not stop everyone. I also am sure that if the quality of your life has always been one of misery, you might savor the idea of it finally ending.

But still, I wonder if this came about, what future generations would do......

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

# I was thinking more that obesity causes many problems, and people are becoming

obese at a much younger age than ever before?

Which they could just as easily die when they are young if their problem is that bad.

# The lungs of a smoker effected by the tar and nicotine in cigarettes starts as soon

as someone starts smoking and most start smoking when still at school?

If you smoke for 10 years it takes 10 years or something similar to get your lungs back to normal. The longer you wait, the longer it takes also because your body doesn't recover as well in old age. So I presume if this works it would play a big part on smoker's health.

# Young under age children are heavily into 'binge drinking' these days and I have

seen programmes where they are suffering from 'liver' diseases by the age of 20 years

[that is in the UK] could be different elsewhere?

It takes 10 years of consistent drinking to cause cirrhosis, and that's only in a few percent of the population. Alcoholism in reality is usually a very long, drawn out affair that lasts 20-50 years for many people.

If the teens were taking other drugs or had biological defects/illnesses it would make more sense. I know a tranq drug was very popular in the last 20 years or so, and it's possible that's what you are referring to.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Lets face it that should read "Australian and US scientists reverse ageing in mice, rich humans only could be next".

the common man will never benefit from this kind of advancement.

edit on 20-12-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
This has already been posted mods please lock this thread.

Please add to this discussion here

edit on 20/12/2013 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by amraks

Chillax...you can have a story in Breaking alternative New and one other forum

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
As excited as I am for the future for age reversal/immortality, I'm slightly concerned about what effect that might have on the human body in the long-term as well as the effect on our entire species.

Nonetheless, it's quite an interesting topic. Thanks for sharing!

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by R_Clark

The medical industry needs new tricks every few years to survive. This is one more.

Bring it on and keep experimenting until the human race is totally decimated from this planet.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

PhoenixOD
reply to post by amraks

Chillax...you can have a story in Breaking alternative New and one other forum

I am chillaxed but they are both in alternative and the one I have posted is the one that was posted before.
So the Op obviously never done a search.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   

amraks

Thread already posted. Please continue the discussion in the above linked thread. And in the future, please use the Search feature.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join