It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The LGBT community should be outraged!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I can recall conservatives like Bill O'Riley and the rest of fox news being outraged by the hip hop that gets played on the radio and demanding it go away. As someone pointed out earlier, those "terrorist loving" Dixie Chicks had their careers # on by conservative outrage. Sinead O'Connor had her career ruined for tearing a picture.

I can recall Christian groups like The Catholic League calling for TV shows and musicians to be silenced because they offended their christian sensibilities. They really love to go after guys like Bill Maher. They even cried when George Bush sent out Christmas cards that said Happy Holidays.

Conservatives love to talk about the free market, and how if someone isn't happy with a product or the person producing it, they should have boycotts and stop supporting it. Well, guess what! That is exactly what's happening.

Free speech is doing perfectly fine. Gays aren't the only ones trying to make the world change in their favor either.
edit on 21-12-2013 by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
There are some powerful groups trying to promote the homosexual agenda and im not talkin about the open lbgt organizations... im talkin about the special interest, msm, corporate and government officials.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I would just like to say that I am TERRIBLY offended by many of your comments in these threads, calling Phil's beliefs "backwards" calling him a "redneck" and many other terms. Just because someone holds beliefs that differ from your own doesn't make them wrong or "backwards", who the heck are you to claim that? I'm going to need everyone's name and place of employment so that I can start the calling and boycotting.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

If they don't step up and say something about this, their rights may be next on the chopping block.

And what rights would this be?

You don't seem to understand that A&E's action supports their rights. The issue isn't simply having the right to your own opinion, but to change how people see homosexuality to begin with.

This thread is ignoring the fact that gays, lesbians and transgendered people are perfectly able to understand that. What further rights should they be afraid of losing? The whole idea of Political Correctness to begin with is shape public opinion, to change the general awareness.

To imagine that this technique is designed for anything other than that - for example, to believe that it' leading us to some dystopian tyranny, is to really misunderstand what going on.

For a hardcore fundamentalist conservative, this is of course a frustrating position to be in. You're being cornered by liberals. But, thats just how the cookie crumbles, my friend. Social liberals have been slowly etching away at conservative interests in this country and elsewhere for decades. And every year, the conservatives are brought a litlte further to the left.

My own position is, Phil Robertson is an ignorant dogmatist conservative. I very much dislike the personaliy and ideas he conveys. He of course thinks he's doing "God's will" - have you seen that video of him speaking in a Church? Oh dear lord - seriously. What freaking decade are we in?

That people can respect a camo-dressed hunter, spouting evangelical cliches, and not realize how essentially damaging this perspective is to social cohesion, is alarming. Think of the blatant fallacies in his logic. Being gay will lead to: beastiality, etc. Pretty much to the destruction of society. He then goes onto impute traits to homosexuals that frankly make no bloody sense: "they're full of murder, envy, strife, hatred...they are insolent, arrogant, God haters"....WHAT!?

Have these people lost their freaking mindS?

While I am all for the right to express an opinion, A&E acted within their rights when they suspended him. Now that I've seen this recent video, I am quite glad they did. This sort of ignorance needs to fade from our public memory.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

masqua
I'm a normal guy, not affiliated with anything but normalcy and I'm outraged that what some entertainer says has become a national, even global, issue. I'm right down there with 'meh'.

I don't care what he said or that he got his wrist slapped. It's of no consequence in the big picture and only keeps eyes off issues that should be scrutinized.

Oh, look, shiny...

Got to agree with you there ;-) And with that a little Frank Zappa;

It seems to me that if someone is going to fight for something, it is their fight, just like opinions one has to take ownership. The result of the fight may or may not have global consequences and we'll hear about it when it's all over and done with. But if we pay too much attention to the fight or the reasons for the fight, we might just miss those other important things going on. It kind of reminds me of Bill C6 here in Canada. Lots of negative noise about it and then the Harper assclown prorogues government. This of course creates a media/internet frenzy and when parliament re-opens, the bill number is changed to C36 and passes. So, by watching the BS to closely, the bill that gives ANY foreign government, NGO or state run institution all of our personal and private information, including ALL medical data, passed without anyone trying to stop it.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Astrocyte

I hate to break it to you astrocyte, but I've heard much worse coming from the other side ON THE MSM. Christians being called Herpes, and much more. This country was built on religious freedom.

Also, A&E was perfectly fine with the Robertson's views, as long as the cash kept coming,until GLAAD and others jumped on this one interview, if you think they didn't know how the felt before now, you're being purposefully ignorant. I just read another article today that pointed out A&E had a representative AT THE INTERVIEW, and heard the answers, as well as read the article before it was published, yet A&E did NOTHING until GLAAD jumped in.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

EverydayInVA
I would just like to say that I am TERRIBLY offended by many of your comments in these threads, calling Phil's beliefs "backwards" calling him a "redneck" and many other terms. Just because someone holds beliefs that differ from your own doesn't make them wrong or "backwards", who the heck are you to claim that? I'm going to need everyone's name and place of employment so that I can start the calling and boycotting.

You point out something that has always made me laugh about this website. People here hide behind their avatars while they say things that would get them punched in the mouth in the real world. I call it keyboard courage or ipad tough guys. Saying something is easy if there are no real consequences. Everybody here is a single voice in a crowd that the whole world doesn't really hear. Celebrities on the other hand cant scratch their butts without someone noticing and being offended. Doesn't help so many people are thin skinned nowdays.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by EverydayInVA

I hate to break it to you astrocyte, but I've heard much worse coming from the other side ON THE MSM. Christians being called Herpes, and much more. This country was built on religious freedom.

And thats relevant because?

If I see either side making unjustified claims, I'll make an effort to point that out.

Why not, for a second, reflect on what he actually said in the youtube video I posted. Is it rational or fair to believe that gays are: "full of murder, envy, strife, hatred...they are insolent, arrogant, God haters"? None of that makes sense. Nobody capable of rational thinking can read that and not be disturbed by it.

In that youtube video I posted, I responded to the video itself - at Youtube - because I thought the claims (may have been facetiously said) that was Phil was actually gay, because this could be the only reason for his vitriolic disapproval, were ridiculous and immature.

I don't think Phil's views make a shred of sense. And, since he works for a company who no doubt puts a clause in its contract - he has to abide by its strictures. If not, they reserve the right to fire him.

Also, A&E was perfectly fine with the Robertson's views, as long as the cash kept coming

Ok. A&E has decided to make issue of Phil's remarks - and guess what? They did this despite the financial cost. Duck Dynasty is wildly successful, and yes, A&E, in general, thinks money first, principles later. But when GLAAD made issue of the article, A&E clearly had a change of heart. They censured Phil for his comments and decided to suspend him.

What exactly is the problem here? Should they continue being greedy bastards and ignoring the crap Phil and the rest of them say? Or does their speaking up, making issue of it, strike you as hypocrisy?

Such changes of heart, changes in state, happen all the time in life. True, if GLAAD hadn't acted, A&E would have ignored the comments. But deep down, you know A&E really doesn't like the comments; what they do like, is the wild success of Duck Dynasty and the money it brings in.

In anycase, contractually, Phil has to abide by the contract he signed. If he breaks contract, it's A&E's prerogative whether they apply penalties. They can ignore it, as they've apparently done up until this moment. But if public awareness is raised as to the extremity of this mans views, again "They're full of murder, envy, strife, hatred...they are insolent, arrogant, God haters" is an absolutely extreme view, than they have every right to act.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
The vocal minority, with their archaic beliefs, have as much right to forever be crybabies. Just like A&E, GLAAD and Phil have the right to their opinions.

Just be aware that the majority of people are laughing at the vocal minority and their whining...as they should.

It's not PC to care about your fellow man...it's humane. Carry on, pity party.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I have no problem living in the same community or working with gays, as long as they act like heterosexuals and keep their gay activities to themselves. What I do not like is the "show off" gays or gays that show PDA in public. I have to admit thinking about two men having sex is totally disgusting to me, but hey if two or more men want to do that in the privacy of their house that is ok with me. Another big mistake is companies allowing men to wear earrings,eye makeup, womens cloathing , lip stick, eye shadow...etc. it is not proper business attire. I certainly do not mind working with someone that is gay, what I don't want is to work with someone some day that looks like MJ.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LA1IMPALA

Oh gurl you would hate me!

you are entitled to your belief system.

maybe we can relate, i mean you heterosexual's shove your straightness in my face daily

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I am still waiting for my straight parade......Not like I am running around and telling everyone I am straight or anything. So then why does the gay community do this?

...Persecution of homosexuality starting with Emperor Constantine and the Counsel of Nicaea to today. There was no real segregation because of homosexuality that I can find before that.

So that means societies disdain for homosexuality has made their ever loving rainbows glow brighter and now have to speak words.....ALL THE TIME! It sucks. I know.

In all my years I have found that I am more worried about the kind of people who want to control what other people are doing in the bedroom rather than the person I am in the bedroom with.

So if these gay bashers should learn and know one thing....Its to just please, for the love of God, shut the F up cause you are making it worse! And for all of those who do not like homosexuality because of religious purposes I say: It must be sad or difficult for those who regard authority as the truth rather than truth as the authority.

So cheers with shut up juice on this topic to those special people. Now we can love. All fixed!
edit on 21-12-2013 by ItzMeRon because: Added "All fixed!" cause it would be if we could get the F over it. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
The only thing the LGBT community should be outraged about is that in 2013 they still have to live in a world where religious freaks like Phil Robertson compare homosexuality with bestiality.
edit on 22-12-2013 by JRCrowley because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-12-2013 by JRCrowley because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

EverydayInVA
reply to post by Astrocyte

Also, A&E was perfectly fine with the Robertson's views, as long as the cash kept coming,until GLAAD and others jumped on this one interview, if you think they didn't know how the felt before now, you're being purposefully ignorant. I just read another article today that pointed out A&E had a representative AT THE INTERVIEW, and heard the answers, as well as read the article before it was published, yet A&E did NOTHING until GLAAD jumped in.

Wrong. A&E warned him to watch his mouth, and he didn't.

'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much

www.latimes.com... y#ixzz2oBHYxLGe

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
i dont see why this is a legal issue to some of you.

If i started telling customers to off themselves my boss would fire me regardless of the first amendment.what because he rides around on an atv on camera he shouldnt get fired for saying homophobic things, i dont care about his duck calls, man.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Generally speaking I find the homosexual community more bigoted and far more intolerant than those they have ever accused of being so.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   
The right wing is always a staunch defender of free speech. Just ask the Dixie Chicks. Remember what happened to them when they expressed their view about the Iraq War? Yeah, they had concerts cancelled, sponsors dropped them, people destroyed their albums. Heaven forbid. Conservative talk shows destroyed them. Two disc jockeys in a Colorado radio station were fired for playing their records.

No one tried to prevent the Dixie Chicks from expressing their views, but they sure were not protected from the consequences of their actions.

en.wikipedia.org...

This is the exact same situation. No one is trying to take away his freedoms. Freedom of speech is to prevent the government from censoring you, or punishing you for saying something they don't like. This didn't happen in this case. However, there is no protection from the consequences of what Phil said.

A private business is well within its right to fire an employee if he/she violates conduct rules. It happens all the time. If A&E doesn't want to be associated with Phil's views, then they have the right to fire/suspend him.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   

MadMax9
reply to post by network dude

Generally speaking I find the homosexual community more bigoted and far more intolerant than those they have ever accused of being so.

Really? Did you know the term for a straight person in the gay community is called a "breeder"? Need I remind you of the N word and stereotypes? It is back and forth, and I will spare you any punz.
edit on 22-12-2013 by ItzMeRon because: ..........Cause Z's are fun!

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   
What, do we suddenly live in a fascist country where we all must think one way, and everyone must except what the "popular" thought is? If that is the case, NONE OF US SHOULD BE ON THIS WEBSITE as it goes against the "popular" thought.

I just have to shake my head. The hypocrisy is amazing.

Those of you bashing Phil for his views, are no better then Phil at this point.

Do you not see? Do you not comprehend that your judgments of him, are no better then the judgements he views about the various views of sin?

This is why I shake my head. Because, you condemn Phil for his views, because they do not align with your own, yet you bash him just as much, and are far less polite in your comments.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

It means his choices, thoughts, and mindset lead him to not want to engage in a mindset that others find to their liking. which, he is perfectly well entitled too, EVEN if YOU DISAGREE.

You have no right to tell any other person how they should live. You have no right to tell someone else their opinion is wrong. You have no right to infringe on another person's thoughts. You have no right to lambast someone for thinking differently then you do.

Why?

Because, in this country, we are all allowed to be different. We are all allowed to think differently, and we are all allowed to believe differently.

It is FASCIST to imply otherwise.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
>>
First off, if you are in the LGBT community and are fine with that,
>>

I already have problems with the first few words of your post...since they entirely confuse me.

How does someone "get in" the LGBT "community"....and how has someone have a choice "to be fine with it"...as if it be a matter of opinion of "being fine with it" or not? (Absurdity level 9000 here).

Your choice of words ALONE...and not even having finished your first sentence, show me that you have a very twisted and odd understanding of what being gay actually is/means. (Or let's put it the other way around...do you seriously believe that someone who is gay has the choice to "be fine with it" or not?).

Because it's thinking like that which then also gives way to other absurd opinion, like that of the Christian right where homosexuality is seen as a "sin". (Obviously, that's their argument).

My idea of "sin" is that implies a conscious act of doing something bad, because without being conscious of wrong-doing there obviously cannot be a sin, right?

This also nicely echos our stereotypical A&E redneck's opinion for whom homosexuality is a "sin" (where he mentions them in the same sentence with prostitutes, swindlers, criminals etc.)...ergo it must be a conscious act of wrong-doing that justifies the wrath and punishment of god, right?

Or...in more simple words...you saying "to be fine with that" looks like you imply that gay people are aware they are doing something wrong....but they have the right "to be fine with it" since it's more a matter of opinion, for you.

Would you ask a black person if he is "fine with that" that he's black?

Would you start a post a bout black people and start it like "If you're a black person and are fine with that, so am I".

See what revealing things someone can spot reading between the lines, words say more about you what you may suspect.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join