It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Watch 2014

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Moshpet
thats an easy way to get the time stamp, I didn't see it at first.
I did 5 images, to match the previous ones I did
bardarbunga-eruption-web-cams
I need to sort out the categories a bit better, maps, web cams and other images are all mixed together, need to split them out, so that things run in a sequence on each page.

edit on 0900000024624614 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

done that. now 3 categories
Bardarbunga Eruption Web Cams (screenshots)
Bardarbunga Eruption Images (others photos)
Bargarbunga-Askja (maps and graph)

all available either from the dropdown list by hovering over the Bargarbunga-Askja button on the menu at the top, or from the Categories Wiget on the right hand side column

clicking the Header (image at the top) always shows the pages in Time order so that images, maps and photos are all jumbled up
Just helps people for who are looking for say just the maps or graphs, they can see them in sequence, web cams the same etc

I think I will add also a graphs category for the daily graphs, I think this is going to go on for quite a while, handy to see if there are any trends ( like the day/night frequency of earthquakes as already mentioned). Need to have some cornflakes first (breakfast time here)

edit on 0900000024624614 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Thebel
gotcha

jökull = glacier

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
for those who like time versus magnitude graphs
its accessible as a drop down item under Bardarbunga-Askja button/tab

the Day/Night-quiet/busy anomaly started on the 23rd Aug, before the eruption!!

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzy
for those who like time versus magnitude graphs
its accessible as a drop down item under Bardarbunga-Askja button/tab

the Day/Night-quiet/busy anomaly started on the 23rd Aug, before the eruption!!

The site you have going is very nice

It will be interesting to see if the cycle continues over the duration.

Just an idle glance at CAM 1 makes me think that the lava flow has grown in the past half day.
IIRC it didn't have 'the appearance' of being near the ridge like it sort of does now. I know it is a goodly distance away, but it looks to be just at the rise.

M.

edit on 4-9-2014 by Moshpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
New Fissure?
10:30 pm mst

Looks new to me

Older

Comparison to a few days back, lava flow field has definitely grown.

M.

ETA

Grr. Lost my connection to Mila and can not get it back for the Bardarbunga cams.

I'll try again in a few hours.

M
edit on 4-9-2014 by Moshpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   

might just be a wind change, it has been going right, left, right, left all day long (when it was on).

Sept 4th an odd day, fog wiping out the view of the eruption for most of the day and night, I managed to get 3 screenshots on Bundy 1, but not 100% sure they were for real and not just background shots set up for the time being, as nothing was moving.
then theres the earthquake data, which raised more questions than gave answers.
Data stops at 04/09/2014 19:21:53 then starts again at 2014/09/05 00:01:24 with 27 more events.
It may be just a glitch and may be changed later.
I had a look at Steinars data just in case, they went right through to midnight, but only had 117 events for the whole day with above 90% quality so that didn't help, Verdur had 158 up till 19:00hrs

these are all the screenshots I got today, around early afternoon (just after midnight -3am up there)
all the rest of the day during daylight (evening there) it was either heavy cloud or off line

edit on 09u24724714 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
The Icelanders think they know a thing or two about volcanoes, but honestly they suk at the web cam coverage.
This is how its done, not live but at least its regular and not breaking down all the time
White Island is our active volcano, just off the coast in the Bay of Plenty, you need a boat or helicopter to get out there
www.geonet.org.nz...
come on Mila, surely you can do better? geez you can drive right up to the freakin thing in your SUV's.
edit on 09u24724714 by muzzy because: opps forgot the link

25 minutes ago

heres another one, just a lucky shot!, at Raoul Island Volcano Cam, couple of repair men on hand today, now that is a desolate place

www.geonet.org.nz...

Our cam's are available here

the night shots are pretty dim, black and white, but there is no lava flowing in either right now.

edit on 0900000024724714 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
All quiet, except one 5.3 magnitude quake, again in Bárðarbunga caldera. But what is that in the middle of picture?

Camera seems to be still, wonder if its working. Camera 2 is smooth, bit pixelation. There seems to be faint mist in the area. No lava fountains visible.
edit on 5-9-2014 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Here is a Mila cam that is uncluttered, just in case you don't have it.

The most recent updates confirm there is a new fissure closer to the glacier, and the "cauldron" in the ice is deeper.

en.vedur.is...

edit on 9/5/2014 by Olivine because: Wonky format from phone--still wrong, but there isn't a previw

@Thebal
That object in the middle is a mobile radar they moved in this morning.

edit on 9/5/2014 by Olivine because: Add reply

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I think perhaps R2D2 decided to have a go on site.

I am guess in reality it is some sort of monitoring equipment. Maybe another camera for backup since they seem to be having issues with the ones in place.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
There is either new spot or dust devils closer to camera 2. It shows faint pillars, maybe its water evaporating, since it looks different from those smoke plumes. And its not constant, it changes from invisible to visible all the time.

Camera 2 started to shake like crazy. Is it just me, or did the plume just get larger? I see big pillar of plume in the middle. Could be just wind change.
edit on 5-9-2014 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

not a dust devil...it`s still there!

as of 9:57am CDT... I agree, the center area is bigger.

Guess I`m not going to get much work done today ... I`ll be on "volcano watch".

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
So a new radar array, I suppose that is one way to keep the tourist flights etc under control.

Yeah MILA's webcam system is nitch ser gut
They could do so much better.

I can see where smoke steam is coming up from the new point from last night.
It also looks like the Cam 2 was adjusted to place it into view as well.
Last night

Today
Cam 1

Cam2

-----------------------------------------------------------

Daily news & etc grab

The New fissure from last night, is discussed here:
www.ruv.is...

New eruptive fissure in the Holuhraun eruption is much closer to the Dyngjujokull glacier than the previous ones, and creeping towards the glacier, says volcanologist Armann Hoskuldsson, who surveyed the new fissure this morning. Volcanic tremor indicates the fissure opened around 4 AM.

vimeo.com...

Awesome video by a helicopter tour group.

Cauldron spotted
www.ruv.is...

"This cauldron in the glacier was spotted a few days ago, but seems to have gotten slightly larger," said Dr. Sigmundsson, a Geophysicist at the University of Iceland's Institute of Earth Sciences. "Due to the events in the blowout lava, and the presence of the magma intrusion beneath the glacier, we can not exclude that 'a small subglacial eruption has occurred under this depression in the ice," said Dr. Sigmundsson.

The rift valley two miles from Dyngjujökli
www.ruv.is...

The Video shows the new rift section too, then goes on to show the cauldron.

The more interesting bit is in this block of text:

Much brennisteinstvíildi measure around the eruption site, as yesterday. Conduction Jökulsá the mountains has increased slightly. There is considerable activity in older vent and step gufustrókar her up to 15 thousand feet. This is shown in the status report researchers council, which was published on the IMO website at lunchtime. It turns out that sigketillinn in Dyngjujökli seems to have deepened.

Powers at play beneath the surface
www.ruv.is...
Your basic 'this is volcanics' puff piece, but the video is worth it as it shows some of the historical eruption footage from the last go round.

EUMET SAT has a false color image of Bardarbunga today.
www.flickr.com...

Increased conduction in the river:

icelandreview.com...

Measurements in glacial river Jökulsá á Fjöllum show a slight increase in conductivity, according to an update on the Holuhraun eruption from the Scientific Advisory Board posted on the website of the Icelandic Met Office earlier this afternoon.

I think they mean FLOW.
Though I suppose if there were a rise in heavy metals or heat in the water you could get more conduction that way too...

M.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Conductivity rises because there is more salt ions in the water. Water conductivity is good indicator for volcanic eruption, as the conductivity rises just before eruption.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Potential flood map
twitter.com...

Movie of the lava flow
vimeo.com...

Brief Historical short on the region:

Irritating the world since 937
arcticjournal.com...
M.

edit on 5-9-2014 by Moshpet because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-9-2014 by Moshpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
thanks for all the links Moshpet, interesting stuff, probably too much to take in, but there will be bits and pieces that will stay in the memory for later.
I was looking at this page yesterday Eyjafjallajökull eruption 2010, looking through some of the links (especially the photos) it just doesn't look like I remember, I recall the eruption was more like this Bardarbunga one, with a big long gash (fissure) erupting for quite a while.

that u-tube vid live is good, you can go back 5hours from the current live image and get screenshots, lets hope it stays on.
www.youtube.com...
I spent 12 minutes and went back roughly about every 15 minutes and grabbed some shots, its a mission to work out the time though, I figured that you take the time of the screenshot, deduct the -h:mm:ss on the scroll button, and convert that to Iceland time (UTC), I used Excel to do the calculations but the times might be a little bit off, so when the images are posted on my blog give or take 12 minutes, as the -h:mm:ss may be taken from the end time on the vid rather than the time I took the shots.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
now is a good time to see the two separate fissures, at dusk
see u-tube link above, click on Live bottom left corner to get the latest pics

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
The Location of Mila Bardar 1 & 2 cam at Öskjuleið,approx.
edit on 5-9-2014 by egoli because: (no reason given)

Edit - better explained here Mila web cams
edit on 5-9-2014 by egoli because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
update on taal volcano in the philiepeans ..

www.phivolcs.dost.gov.ph...

and their website decatated to earth science

www.phivolcs.dost.gov.ph...

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
new web cam screenshot layout test

volcanictremor.wordpress.com...

I have heaps of 05/09 screenshots to post, should work better like this ( ha geonet!)

doesn't work so good on smartphones though, its set in a table, so you can't squeeze them bigger or smaller with your fingers, need to use the slide bar to see them all.

new topics

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join