It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Watch 2014

page: 36
<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
nice orange fire show going on right now at dusk, looks like its raining too
www.livefromiceland.is...
alternate source if that one isn't working
tomhelgea.blogspot.no...
edit on 09u24924914 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzy

Sorry those without the date were taken on my laptop/pad, I had an insomnia moment & grabbed a few quick shots. I'll try to remember to change the format at bedtime. (It's my: I can't sleep read books etc laptop.)

I totally Spaced the different layouts.

M.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
On the cool side of images from volcanoes:
www.newscientist.com... ource=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer#.VAzWHvm0tXu

M.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
What's going on on cam 1?

edit on 9/7/1414 by IWant2Believe323 because: update with picture

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzy
well that was the kiss of death for Tom Helga's blog with the cameras, it has now been removed, just like the u-tube live feed.
Damn thats it next one I find I'm keeping to myself!
The Mila one won't open for me 99% of the time.
Whats the problem??, something to hide???????????

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Moshpet

no need to aplogise, I just wondered if you were going to do that from now on?
Depending on ya bud, it looks like I'm cut off from the cameras.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I wonder what is happening in the Katla. There are daily swarms and it looks like there is inflation in the northern edge of caldera.

Notice the northward movement and uplift. That station is at northern edge of caldera.
Station page
Locations of quakes:

I hope Katla and Bardarbunga don't erupt same time. They are both VEI-6 volcanoes. Katla can also surprise, the magma chamber is not very deep.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Great views Pics & Video over at volcanocafe.wordpress.com...

Would be a little scary but so exciting would love to be in that airplane.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: IWant2Believe323
What's going on on cam 1?

I'm not 100% certain, but there was a blurb about the lava going into the river and going 'downstream' at one point. Though there is not enough glow for it to be hot lava.

Also last night was very bright in the region, likely due to the moon lighting up the clouds.
It is a cool screen grab, I may have a similar one or two.
M.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
G'day volcano watchers!
A bit of rain makes Cam 1 'meh', someone get out there and wipe it dry

Cam 2 moderately better

Last night cam 1 close to dusk in Iceland

Last night - Full night cam 1

---------------------------------------------

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
And now all the relevant news:

An earthquake measuring 4.6 by Size
www.ruv.is...

4.6 Earthquake in size was almost seven kilometers east-northeast of Bárðarbunga just before half past eight in the morning. Has slowed seismicity in the area and have about eighty seismometer metabolism area from midnight. Small and constant turmoil has been the last few days.

5.0 Earthquake near Bardarbunga
www.ruv.is...

Earthquake five size was almost two miles northwest of Bárðarbunga just before three o'clock today. This is another earthquake today which is over four in size, it's half past eight o'clock in the morning was one which was 4.6, nearly seven miles east-northeast of Bárðarbunga.

The lava will probably not more than 20 km (Extend past)
www.ruv.is...

"It is a question whether this lava was forced to go much further," said Thorwald Thordarson, volcanologist in Earth Science. The lava stands at 14.5 miles long. "I guess that based on this productivity, then lava be no further than 20 km, even considerably less."

Recommend sunk in Bárðarbunga
www.ruv.is...

According Víðir Reynisson, head of the Civil Protection are planning to go by helicopter to the eruption site to bring GPS gauges. No such in Bárðarbunga. More than 50 earthquakes have been recorded in the metabolism of the area north of Vatnajökull, between midnight and none of them was big. According to the Meteorological Office earthquakes has decreased slightly compared to the previous days. 3.7 tremor that size became Bárðarbunga about eleven o'clock last night. The turmoil has been stable since last night and soda seems stable from webcams to judge.

Oi! What! There were no GPS there before day! Sheesh bad planning! O.o

Poison gas drives scientists from hole lava.
www.ruv.is...

Researchers at the blowout lava eruption site had to leave quickly three times yesterday because of a sharp increase gasmengunar. Continuous adjusting on the wind direction due to the heat from the lava.

Promote pollution measurements based on both the eastern and north today. According Víðir Reynisson, head of civil defense with the NCIP, the winds are changing fast because of the heat from the lava. Scientists had three times yesterday to leave the eruption site in haste when the air suddenly became very toxic. Not sufficient anymore to work into the wind because he season so rapidly the direction. Several times have scientists considered to be a safe place but have eiturgufuský come up behind them. Civil Defence was worried that media professionals are in the area and not to realize the situation.

Volcano lava defense in blowout - Video
www.ruv.is...

The fire rose high above the northernmost lava crater in the hole when Freyr Arnarsson cameraman flew over it today. Hraunflæmið is spreading and closing Jökulsá mountains. The main eruption is the same crack and has been active since the beginning of the cracks that opened yesterday did little itself felt today.

Products » Sulfur Dioxide total column (SO2)
atmos.eoc.dlr.de...

Science Report from Iceland Met Office

en.vedur.is...

Seismic events from 16 August 2014 and volcanic activity - overview

In this article, updated information on the Bárðarbunga seismic events and volcanic activity is given with daily status reports from the scientist of IMO and the University of Iceland. New material is added to the top of the article. The original information is at the end of the article. Therefore, from bottom to top, this article gives an overview of events. For additional material, check also the news list on our front page.

via Univ. of Iceland ‏@uni_iceland 3h
The southernmost crater in #Holuhraun this morning. Credit: Johanne Schmith #Bardarbunga pic.twitter.com/wWP96uKYdu

via twitter Subsidence grown
(I'm not sure if that is a recent image or not.)

laculturevolcan.blogspot.fr...

Good blog, if it will translate lol. Some good images in any case.

via The #Holuhraun fissural #eruption in #Iceland gives us the opportunity of enjoying great #photos like this one

NPR New article with Audio
Up Close, The Lava Rolls From Bardarbunga
www.npr.org...

SIMON REDFERN: We're approaching the fissure eruption near Bardarbunga.

SIMON: This is audio recorded by scientists from Cambridge, who are just about as close to that rolling wave of lava as people can get without being too daft to be scientists.

LOL!

BBC Inside Science
Bardarbunga

www.bbc.co.uk...

A group of earth scientists was in Iceland performing annual maintenance of its equipment, when the volcano Bardarbunga erupted. Professor Simon Redfern has now joined them and speaks to Adam Rutherford..

The story at this link is pure drivel, but there is a video of the region.
www.euronews.com...

vua Almannavarnir @almannavarnir
The lava field now covers an area of 17 sqkm. Compared to Reykjavík #Bardarbunga picture @uni_iceland pic.twitter.com/83bH0DXw8V

All the 5.0+s at the volcano due make me a tad bit concerned that the lava field show is distracting people a bit.
*shrug* More wait & see.

M.

edit on 8-9-2014 by Moshpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzy

no need to aplogise, I just wondered if you were going to do that from now on?
Depending on ya bud, it looks like I'm cut off from the cameras.

Ok, well I sent the past few days grabs etc to my photobucket.
Likely there are duplicates, so use as you will.

s705.photobucket.com...

M.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Looks like we have a new steam column opening up right in front.

Cam 1 11:08 am MST 9-8-2014

M.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Bárðarbunga is very active again! Suddenly 4 strong quakes, 2 of them in the dike and 2 in caldera.

Visibility is low, there is quite bad weather (again).

There are also few quakes north from Herðubreið, seems like the quakes are moving slowly towards north in Askja fissure swarm. Herðubreið is dormant tuya (rare type of volcano), which is part of Askja volcanic system. It hasn't erupted during the Holocene, but its not extinct either.
edit on 8-9-2014 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I missed this live, but from the u-tube link, 4 hours ago, definitely looks like the lava has hit the river (lower left hand corner)

latest pics don't show the same phenomenon

7th September 2014 - 07:00. From Thor Thordarson.
The lava has now reached to the main channel of the glacial river Jökulsá á Fjöllum. Steaming occurs there.

earthice.hi.is...

doh, should have read the report first

edit on 09u25025014 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
hraun.vedur.is...
[Skjálftalisti]
Gogn ekki tiltaek
Data not available
WTFudge?

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
New Activity!?!?!

Far Left on cam 1

Hmm, it was there, and then it wasn't quite as visible. Grr.
Call it a fluke for the moment until it does it again.

M.

A few minutes later

I'm gonna call it a place to watch, but I can't call it a real feature yet

M.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzy
hraun.vedur.is...
[Skjálftalisti]
Gogn ekki tiltaek
Data not available
WTFudge?

I will say all the 5.0s make me hopeful for more of a show.
But I have a good feed currently.
If things get really energetic, I will try and see if I can somehow manage a livestream, theoretically this pc should handle it.

M.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Bardarbunga Caldera dropped 2-3 more meters

www.bardarbungavolcano.com...

"The events in Bárðarbunga can only be described as a slow caldera collapse" says a statement on the University of Icelands Institute of Earth Science according to RÚV.
A surveillance flight over Bárðarbunga this morning revealed continuing subsidence (sinking) of the 850 meter thick glacial ice which cover the Bárðarbunga caldera. This adds to the 15 meters subsidence, which was measured last friday.

Hmm.

So up to 18m of collapse....

Continuing subsidence in Bardarbunga
www.ruv.is...

A surveillance flight over the Bard Bunga volcano this morning revealed CONTINUING subsidence of the 850 meter thick glacial ice-which covers the caldera beneath. Strong seismic activity is still detected around the caldera; the last one, a 5.0 magnitudes Earthquake occurred at 14:47 GMT.

Following a surveillance flight last Friday over the Bard Bunga caldera, When measurements revealed up to 15 meter subsididence in the center of the caldera, another flight was organized this morning.

&

www.ruv.is...

M.

One of the largest volcanic eruption of the 19th century
www.ruv.is...
(This is a bit sensationalist for RUV....)

One of the largest volcanic eruption of the 19th century

Photo: RUV

Eruption of lava blowout is when a major eruption that has occurred in this country since the nineteenth century, allegedly volcano chemist. Two major earthquakes have been recorded near the eruption site today.

Earthquake five size became Bárðarbunga just before three o'clock in the day and this morning was one that measured 4.6. Earthquakes in Bárðarbunga are associated with subsidence in the caldera of the volcano down last morning when scientists flew over there. Proved peeling in Bárðarbunga have sunk by more than two and a half meters since Saturday, she had sunk to 16 meters. Björn Oddsson, geophysicist in Earth Sciences, said that the present results show that there are reasonable grounds to continue to monitor Bárðarbunga set up a GPS device. Then show this new information from Bárðarbunga the residual risk of eruption there.

It is impossible to predict whether it will continue to slide. According to the Civil Protection is considered sufficient reason to keep abreast Bárðarbunga install GPS measure there. The aim is to bring such things up in the coming days.

M.

Video
New aerial photos: Explosive eruptions at the volcano Bardabunga
www.spiegel.de...

Gallery
www.ruv.is...

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
may have just been clouds
but you can see the steam just over the brow of the hill, coming from the river, or is it clouds too?
good screenshot, saved that one, thanks

top topics

<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join