It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Watch 2014

page: 35
<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: NiteNGale2

yeah they put that radar gizmo up sometime between 08:35 and 14:27 on the 5th
you can see it during daylight on the web cam #one screenshots for the
5th Sept 2014
edit on 0900000024724714 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Good view this morning on Bardy2 cam.

I also think we can see a fissure, very small activity on it just above the blue mila sign/name on the cam

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Good Morning volcano chasers

First up. the morning view

Cam2

Cam1

-------------------
And now all the semi relevant news of the morning too:

Earthquake size 4 at Bardarbunga.
www.ruv.is...

Earthquake, 4.4 in size, measuring in at just over Bárðarbunga half three today. It is the second-largest earthquake since midnight but the sixth time in the morning was an earthquake that was 5 size.

Has slowed seismicity in the area since yesterday. From midnight to noon scored 90 earthquakes. Small changes in crustal deformation north of Vatnajökull.

Tremor of 5 last night
www.ruv.is...

Tremor of size five became Bárðarbunga the sixth time this morning. The quake was similar to that of other large earthquakes that have been recorded in recent days Bárðarbunga.

Still, the constant seismicity Dyngjujökul according to the Meteorological Institute. About fifty earthquakes have been recorded in the area from midnight.

Seismic eruption has been going on for three weeks, she began three o'clock early on Saturday August 16. According to the IMO have a color change in the eruption of lava pocket since yesterday.

Clock in the lava does Jokulsa (????????)
www.ruv.is...

The lava that flows from the vent in the hole lava has reached Jökulsá the mountains by day take it at the same pace over the last day and says volcanologist at the eruption site. Little power in the eruption that began the previous night next glacier.

Continue shaking the Bárðarbunga there was tremor of size 5 in the morning.

"As we tested it just now let him leave the range of 900 to 1000 meters in the ice sauna," said Thorwald Thordarson volcanologist lava advocating my approaching Jökulsá the mountains. "He's like something between 40 and 50 meters per hour. So in that way he sirkabát day into the river. "

The vagaries of language boggle Google translate evidently....

Winners itself since records began
www.ruv.is...

Bardarbunga has sunk about 15 meters in the metabolism lately. "We can say that it does not reduce the likelihood that a potential eruption, and even significant, in itself, a box or Bárðarbunga itself," said Magnus Tumi Gudmundsson, a professor of geophysics at the University of Iceland.

Scientists perished in a plane eftirlitsflug Isavia yesterday. She has been equipment for research and discussion was the data last night and last night. "Then came the rather unexpected finding that Bárðarbunguaskjan has subsided by up to fifteen meters, so that the ice has reduced by this amount," said Magnus Tumi. He says that the most likely explanation lies earthquake Bárðarbunga related to caldera has sunk to the bottom. There has been a volume equivalent to a quarter of cubic kilometers. "It is himself that we have not seen volcanic activity since records began in crustal deformation in Iceland and it was the middle of the last century. And probably need to look further back before we see similar moves. "

Near as I can tell no scientist were killed in the perishing....
But the way they describe the region sinking 15 meters is interesting.

Holuhraun lava heading for glacial river
www.ruv.is...

Within 24 hours, lava flowing from the Holuhraun fissure will enter the one of the branches of Jokulsa a Fjollum glacial river, if the advancement rate remains the same, says volcanologist Thorvaldur Thordarson. Volcanic activity in Holuhraun has not diminished since yesterday.

"The lava field has been advancing towards the westernmost outlet of Jokulsa a Fjollum glacial river, with a rate of about 40 metres per hour," says Thordarson, who is observing the eruption in Holuhraun along with collagues from the University of Iceland´s Institute of Earth Sciences and the Icelandic Met Office.

For cam watchers this should be a lot of steam effects to go ooh and ahh over

The glacial river runs from the Dyngjujokull outlet glacier in several branches; the branch which the lava is heading for is one of the larger ones.

Bardarbunga belches
www.esa.int...

5 September 2014
Satellites are showing clouds of sulphur dioxide from Iceland’s restive Bardarbunga volcano.

ESA’s Volcanic Ash Strategic Initiative Team (VAST) and Support to Aviation Control Service (SACS) are monitoring the situation closely, and have detected sulphur dioxide emissions since early September. A small cloud of sulphur dioxide has been drifting toward Europe since late last night.

Good animations etc.

via Fréttastofa RÚV @RUVfrettir

Bardarbunga subsidence measured
twitter.com...
The #Bardarbunga subsidence measured y-day. From the @uni_iceland . Instit. of Earth Sciences. Red is deepest.

via
Gisli Olafsson ‏@gislio
Amazing image of the #cauldrons spotted on #Dyngjujokull taken today on the @almannavarnir flight - #Bardarbunga pic.twitter.com/2yRTTxjKBI

Biggest subsidence sin measurements of crustal movements started
www.mbl.is...

In the sur­veill­ance flig­ht yester­day the ice-surface at Bárðarbunga was mea­sured with the radar system of Isa­via’s aircraft. The mea­surements show lar­ge changes on the ice-surface. Up to 15 m su­bsi­dence has occur­red in the centre of the caldera, which cor­responds to a volume change of 0.25 km3. The shape of the su­bsi­dence area is in accor­d­ance with the elevati­on of the caldera floor having low­ered by that amount.

Crustal movement visualised in a handy chart
hraun.vedur.is...

via Gisli Olafsson ‏@gislio No signs of #eruption or geothermal activity in #Bardarbunga caldera itself.
via Gisli Olafsson ‏@gislio Scientists believe deflation of #Bardarbunga caldera is due to magma moving towards NE along chamber towards #Holuhraun

Video of activity from 9-4-2014
vimeo.com...

Volcano at night - Iceland September 4 2014
from Jon Gustafsson PLUS 1 day ago ALL AUDIENCES
I shot this handheld from the wrong side of the helicopter, over another the shoulder of a guy who was shooting the whole thing on a RED camera and using stabilizing equipment so please excuse the shakiness of this video.
Pilot: Reynir Freyr Petursson from ReykjavikHelicopters.com
More photos on my website: JonGustafsson.com

via Oenotrian @ Oenotrian
Plume panorama
en.vedur.is...

M.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
More of the news:

Bárðarbunga: Sorry, Ireland.
m.dailykos.com...

15 kilometers, too, is the reason that people in Ireland tomorrow will only be getting toxic-pretty-sunset-gas rather than being part of massive transatlantic air traffic jams.
It's time for Eldfjallavakt.
The winds are changing:

Ok, the Daily Kos is going for drama, it gets views, but I'd suggest just reading it largely for the images and charts.

Video: the fissure eruption Bardarbunga
www.futura-sciences.com...

As recalled by Jacques-Marie Bardintzeff in his blog Volcanmania , there is a hot spot in the Iceland . This makes the island a paradise for volcanologists in the world as loved to tell Maurice and Katia Krafft . We have no difficulty in believing when we see images of the eruption fissure in the field of washing of Holuhraun (which translates to "lava desert holes") along the volcano Bardarbunga. She first took a few hours August 29, 2014 before flare Sunday, August 31. Two new fissure eruptions began Friday, Sept. 5, 2014.

Evidently they are naming the fissures :
via Almannavarnir ‏@almannavarnir
The pictures are now also on our english page www.avd.is... #Bardarbunga pic.twitter.com/gOKdeIXW1V

The surface of the ice over the caldera of Bardarbunga sinking: DETAILS
www.meteoportaleitalia.it... i.html

The rash that has developed in recent days, has evolved, as you have read in our last editorial , and now there are two fissures that are expelling lava. The southern fissure is much closer to the glacier, and this increases the fear that the eruption could start even under the glacier itself .

In the surveillance flight yesterday over the area of ​​Bardarbunga was a subsidence occurred on the glacier up to 15 meters, right in the center of the caldera, which corresponds to a volume change of 0.25 km3. In the shape of the subsidence is in agreement with the elevation of the floor of the caldera, which is lowered by that amount.

M.
edit on 6-9-2014 by Moshpet because: (no reason given)

ETA Anything with a 'via' prefixing it is from Twitter.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
The cauldron image is awesome

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Volcano Cafe has some good images today as well.

volcanocafe.wordpress.com...

M.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Moshpet

That is quite a subsidence in the caldera because of the magma outflow, also if we look at the harmonic tremor plots, they are getting more normal.
So it is increasingly likely that this will be over in a short period of time.
hraun.vedur.is...

Only VON has not yet showed a decrease in tremor, but this can be because it is very close to Bardarbunga, DYN seems to be disabled and not in the list.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
This has an interesting perspective (at the bottom of the article)
from Culture Volcano, Diary of a volcanophile
laculturevolcan.blogspot.fr...

"Another picture of the day that has fascinated me is a photo taken on the western edge of the graben, which made ​​its appearance on September 3 : an example of what geologists appèlent a normal fault. The recess, which is the height to which the movement is carried out is several meters."

Read more: laculturevolcan.blogspot.com...

M.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
My ISP is having "major issues", not too sure exactly what it is, but its bad enough it made the TV news last night, some kind of hack attack.
I can't get connections to ANY of the Web Cams or Live u-tube feeds for Bardarbunga.
Seem to be plodding along at DialUp speeds this morning, was OK until 5pm last night.
Its a miracle I got on to ATS at all just now, took me 5 attempts to open the login page.
my connection is showing I am gobbling up 1MB per minute, all I have open is ATS in Firefox!

Anyway when you can't watch live web cams what do you do ...........?

Graphs

here's a couple I did for Bardarbunga-Askja, pretty self explanatory, can't really see any trends
summary (start of 11th Aug to end 5th Sept)
magless1=709, mag1=2832, mag2=810
mag3= 51 , mag4=5, mag5=2, total=4,441
total energy released=23,858.80TTNT

click image for full size version

edit on 09u24824814 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

edit on 09u24824814 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Great work

I can relate on the internet hackers though.
*sigh*
I play games a lot to fill my time and recently the hackers had made a huge DDoS attack on the game I play on.
With my /tin_foil_hat_mode on, I sometimes think the good people at the alphabet agencies are to blame for much of it.
The old adage/ploy of create a crisis to gain power. But that's just my paranoia speaking lol.
/hat off

Anyways as near as I can tell it's largely quiet today on the cams. (I know I am tempting fate to say such things.
)

Hope your net clears

M.

Afternoon images:

3:39pm MST Cam 1

Cam 2

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I keep asking myself: if the Barda caldera itself has now been confirmed to have dropped up to 15 meters (about 50 ft.) in just the last day or two, then what evidence is there that any new plume-derived magma has entered the system- other than maybe the high temperature of it? Even that may not necessarily be completely telling.

What me may be witnessing is one manner of volcanic death, initiated by the unforgiving weight of all that ice. Barda may be finished, and it is pumping out the last of its magma through any and all available conduits. The icecap will just continue to bury it even further over time.

The possibility still exists though that with all the rock and ice fracturing due to the subsidence, ice melt water could find its way down and hit magma. But those same cracks will be exit valves for any steam that is created- so an explosion would not be likely. I would not be surprised to start seeing steam coming from the caldera any time now, as this occurs. If we don't, then a sudden explosion is more likely, imo, because the steam created still doesn't have an outlet- and will build pressure until BOOM. One last bang for Barda, and then to volcano heaven it goes.
edit on Sat Sep 6th 2014 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Moshpet

I managed to get one screenshot off each camera through Tom-Helge Anderson's page from Norway at 7 past midnight IST
Now that u-tube Live view you have to have a password to see it
hopefully you got some good shots during the daylight, I got none at all!
i can't even see your images on that post, they won't load for me at all
hopeless ISP, Telecom NZ now known as "Spark", what a joke, more like "Fizzle"
we have the slowest internet on the Planet and its always breaking down

edit on 0900000024824814 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
New Fissure Feature!
Cam 1

Cam 2 It is not visible on it due to focus on far fissure

M.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Something is happening in Bárðarbunga caldera. There has been 4 strong earthquakes within 24 hours, and 5th 2 hours earlier. While the overall activity is getting lower, main caldera still gets these strong earthquakes, strongest being 5.4 magnitude. The longer this activity continues, more probably the Bárðarbunga erupts. And its impossible to know what happens under the 300-500 meters of ice sheet. It isn't probably yet erupting though, as then we would see huge cracks in the glacier.

There is currently very thick fog, so we can barely see the smoke plume, but lava is not visible. In the other side of Iceland, Katla is showing minor signs of activity.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Give this article by Dave McGarvie, volcanologist, a read.
He details his thoughts on what may happen at Bardarbunga, couching his hypothesis in what we see at other Iceland volcanoes.
Good read.

Also, here is a diagram of the subsidence at Bardabunga: image
(I first saw the image at Volcano Cafe here, but the link is to the image origin page.)
FYI, each illustration is using different scales.
edit on 9/7/2014 by Olivine because: spelling

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Thebel
Isnt Katla the one we need to worry about?

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Morning folks
It looks like things have 'visually' dampened down at the fissures some: (Evidently the flow of lava is about the same 200m/s)

9-7-2014 1 am MST Cam 2

9-7-2014 Cam1 9:44 am MST Cam 1

News bits:

100-200 cubic meters of earth per second (With video.)
www.ruv.is...

The lava comes about one mile per day, almost eleven miles to the north and yesterday afternoon covered the sixteen square miles of land. Volcanic activity in the same places as before, according to a status report scientists from the Council for lunch. There was a low level of activity in the crack opened up on Friday if it is compared with the northern rift has been active from the beginning.

Evidently there is some concern about the SO2

Contamination from soda can subject people
www.ruv.is...

The Environment Agency has been to measure sulfur dioxide pollution in the region after the eruption. Thorstein Jóhannsson, an expert at the Environment, says the values ​​measured to be high enough that people who are sensitive to the need to have a backup.

Thorstein said hádegisfréttum measurement of plant yesterday had shown high concentration higher than they were accustomed. Those who may be exposed to people who are vulnerable, such as people with asthma, senior citizens and children. This should not affect healthy people. "You would not advise anyone who is sensitive to pass strenuous outdoors," said Thorstein, naming útihlaup and difficult gardening as an example of what people who are vulnerable should be avoided.

"We are well below occupational limits refer to working people in the workplace, such as in heavy industry."

Wait for more accurate measuring device of the river
www.ruv.is...

Moda seen on satellite images that IMO uses and give the impression that Blur is from the eruption. It could contain sulfur and other undesirable substances.

An attempt was made to measure the ingredients and their concentration in the evening but the instruments that are on the site were not sensitive enough. The meters were used except nothing under 290 micrograms.

Researching the blue haze in the east.
www.ruv.is...

Environment sent the measure east today to analyze materials in Maternal and strength. Thorstein Jóhannsson, an analyst at Environment Agency hopes that the results of measurements are available in the evening. "All we have in hand indicates that this is a mocha from the eruption. It is very interesting and useful to know how much strength he has done. The information we have now, and the pictures I've seen indicate that it is then that gráblái sulfur likeness on it. View, one would estimate that this would be like in contaminated metropolis. This is not terrible pollution to see but it is very important to get the measurements and we will try to get it now after. "

Holuhraun lava field now 16 sq. kilometres
www.ruv.is...

The new lava field at the Holuhraun eruption is now advancing into the westernmost branch of the Jokulsa a Fjollum glacial river which runs from the Dyngjujokull outlet glacier. The output is estimated to be 100 - 200 cubic metres per second, and the new lavafield covers about 16 square kilometres.

This is according to a new status report by the Icelandic Civil Protection´s Scientific Advisory Board, published today.

Scientists monitoring the eruption estimate that the advancement rate of the lava flow is about 1 kilometer every day. The volcanic activity in the main fissure has remained steady, but the small fissure to the south, which opened up on Friday has diminished.

Gufubólstrar where lava crosses the river
www.ruv.is...

Lava flow from the blowout lava goes faster than yesterday but today is 80 to 100 meters per hour, where he runs into Jökulsá the mountains, said Thorwald Thordarson volcanologist. Steam coming out of the lava as it crosses the water evaporates in the heat.

Researchers at the scene were well aware that the lava would come in the riverbed when they were on their way from the Dragon eruption early this morning and announced that the Institute of Earth just over seven.

Thorvald Thordarson volcanologist said in an interview with news agency that they had been overheard this, "when we get a URL to the Vaðöldu we found gufubólstrum from eastern flood. It was pretty clear that the lava had gone into the riverbed and the river. We then drove down to the lava eventually. Then we saw it and were able to confirm that the lava had reached the river. It has risen from the small gufubólstrar and really nothing much going on so seen. The lava continued his progression as it has happened and part of it came into contact with the river and was not a little vapor that rose from the lava. "

M.

edit on 7-9-2014 by Moshpet because: (no reason given)

ETA Cool image from the Times. Northern lights + volcano
time.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lil Drummerboy
a reply to: Thebel
Isnt Katla the one we need to worry about?

Yes, but it seems eruption is not yet close. But its long overdue (Its present dormancy is one of the longest in its history). And almost always it has erupted after Eyjafjallajökull (which erupted in 2010). Katla is like Eyjafjallajökull, meaning its eruption would be explosive. Its multiple times more dangerous than Eyjafjallajökull and bit more than Bardarbunga. Last time it erupted in 1918, and it has usually erupted every 13-95 years. Its full scale eruption would be similar to Mount Pinatubo, which lowered the average temperatures around the globe.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Moshpet, I see you have changed the date layout on your screenshots to just the time, (no date)
I know you are MST, which is 7 hours past Iceland (UTC)
I am NZST which is 12 hours past UTC
It get very confusing when it switches between am/pm and into a new day and going backwards to UTC
Everyone should use UTC, I have it as a dual time on my phone.
Not asking you to change your computer time clock, but could you put the date back on please, then I can convert it to UTC. 158 views on the webcam page yesterday, not the huge amounts some blog pages get but thats a good number for mine.
I appreciate you posting the screenshots, it has enabled me to keep running the series since the start on my blog, I have used quite a few of yours.
Just in case you forget to write the date in text above the picture.

I'm back on broadband, been a real hassle the last 36 hours.
Some people were complaining on the TV news last night that to keep their business running while the problem was sorted they had to use their mobile phone 4G network set as a hot spot and it chewed up their mobile data real quick, costing hundreds of dollars in having to purchase extra data. I bet there will be a few claims for compensation on the ISP.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Olivine

Yes that Dave McGarvie article is an interesting read, good find!
great pictures too
Its always good to read what people thought before the eruption too.

new topics

top topics

<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join