It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Atheist Thread

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Agnosticism is for the true skeptic, as it implies that one does not believe nor disbelieve in a god(s) but will not follow one or any, nor will they deny or discount their existence, therefore taking into consideration, through a skeptical means, the truths and history religious text and practices may or may not contain to hold some information or links to truths and other information that may or may not be up for consideration, whilst Atheism is for those who will not even consider looking into religion in any way, shape or form, under any circumstance, to acquire knowledge or information.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
There is no difference between atheism and agnosticism because it is impossible for anyone to “know” whether God existed or not.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
A good little video with Dawkins.
Great to hear his views about religious education and morals.

He sticks up for Christianity more than Islam.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by C21H30O2I

There's a huge difference

Atheists deny there is a god (they don't KNOW there isn't, because nobody does, who are they/you/I to say)

Agnostics are fence-sitters, they do not believe nor disbelieve there is a god (because they can't KNOW for sure if there is or isn't, as nobody does, who are they/you/I to say)

In terms of POVS and knowledge seeking, atheists will not consider any information in any forms of religious text

In terms of POVS and knowledge seeking, agnostics may not rule the consideration of information in any forms of religious text

Therefore making agnostics the most skeptical of knowledge seekers/information seekers by their very nature

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

SkepticOverlord

Eryiedes
leaving behind childish superstition.

I'm a staunch atheist and would never insult religious believers by calling their beliefs "childish superstition," to do so is it's petty and childish.

While not as intense an insult as calling all non-believers, sinners (as Christians tend to do with ease), it's still a statement beneath dignity.

I don't know, Skeptic. Christians that I grew up around call themselves and feel perfectly ok with considering themselves sinners. So being called a sinner in any term would pretty much make you equal to any other Christian. Every believer I know will tell you that they themselves are sinners and no different than anyone else. Though, I do know what you mean about some sort of dividing line between Christians and Athiests. Now, perhaps throw a snarl behind the word and then I can see where the line is lain.

If you're ever considered a sinner because you're an athiest, ask them just as Jesus pointed out... Let he without sin cast the first stone... So ask... "Are you not a sinner as well?".

I applaud that you respect believers as human beings and see them as equal. In situations where self proclaimed Christians or believers come off as being better than you because of what they believe, and you still hold that stance, then you, my friend, are the better person for it. I think that's what the new pope meant when he spoke about athiests having as much of a chance for heaven.

I think that if we can get along, and overlook what each other believes, and hold another persons beliefs sacred as they do, then by that kind of respect to that person, is as important as if you were the person believing yourself. Another's beliefs or lack their of, should not divide us as a unified people. I myself would see that as each person is unique and interesting.

I find it funny that even though I don't believe in religions like buddism, janism, santiria, voodoo, satanism or various other religions, I find them all facinating to know about. Still, like you, I wont condem them for it or tell them it's rubbish. That, to me, is like putting someone down because of their skin color, race or sex.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I believe in having the freedom to have faith and in having the freedom to not believe in (g)od(s).

I'll respect everyone's wish to believe (or not).

I hope that respect is simply reciprocated.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Atheism, sounds great for the lazy non-relgious type, or so I would think.

Really its sorta like a tv show that comes on, that you'd probably like, yet I just can't seem to be assed enough to catch when it comes on at its time slot; therein lies too much commitment.

Instead I've moved more into a "dunno, don't care" attitude because what really is a difference? Not like I sit around contemplating it, or gaf when someone is worshiping a noodle god, a mortal man, money, a sports team, musician, power.

Atheism is for the guy with the big cup of coffee who got on the internet looking for people that are wrong, pretty much. Louder and More obnoxious the better right? Not hating, just observing. I just don't really feel that strongly committed to either, in fact sometimes I feel like I'm part of that "not-carist-cult", or a slacker.

Yeah, I'm just a slacker, but I'm so dapper you can call me Dan.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

I think the religious are the lazy ones...falling for another mans version of the truth and not using their god given mind to figure it out themselves.
At least atheists have thought hard about the big questions and have had the bravery to go against the grain of organised religion.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

boymonkey74
reply to post by Lysergic

I think the religious are the lazy ones...falling for another mans version of the truth and not using their god given mind to figure it out themselves.
At least atheists have thought hard about the big questions and have had the bravery to go against the grain of organised religion.

Never knew it was hard to go against the grain.

Seems to come naturally for me.

I never said atheist were lazy, quite to the contrary hence big mug'o coffee.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by unb3k44n7

IMO, What it boils down to, regardless, if one party denies and one is a fence sitter, that can fall either way. Both parties, do not know. Hence, my opinion, no difference. Again just my penny's. Thanks for the reply. Good day to all.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

C21H30O2I
There is no difference between atheism and agnosticism because it is impossible for anyone to “know” whether God existed or not.

There is a difference.

Atheism allows for a situation where, "if it turns out there is a god, I reject him/it." Agnosticism implies one might accept a god if it turns out there is one.

I'm firmly an atheist. But being pragmatic, if it turns out there is a god, he/it does not deserve my awe/worship or anything else other than a firm and resolute right cross with all my strength.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I think I will ask him many a question first and If I like the answers I will accept him as my equal . If not I will go on and make a better universe

edit on 8-12-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

winofiend

On7a7higher7plane
reply to post by Eryiedes

If religion shrinks that doesn't mean atheism will take over... You don't need to have particular religious affiliation to have faith.

I know half of you atheists are faking anyway, it takes 10 times as much faith to believe in atheism as creationism.

what is a belief in atheism? I've never heard of such a thing.

and it takes 10 times more faith? faith in what?

Sounds like ignorance to me.

I guess what you mean is that religion is the easy way out. You don't have to think for yourself, you don't have to justify yourself, you don't have to explain yourself. Just recite the bible, say a prayer and call on christ to defend you. Easy peasy.

And if it all goes pear shaped, why the devil made you do it.

Yeah, you're probably right. It does take more effort to be an atheist. What with the having to take responsibility for your own actions, self, morals and lifestyle. No 'get into heaven' free cards.

Here you go..
www.atheists.org...

Join up, don't be so
alone.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Okay, there is a difference.. IF, there is a god. But to begin with, neither know for sure. Only after the fact. Would the agnostic, make his/her choice. My apologies, for my cloudy comment. Both parties that replied to my comment gets stars.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Time for some more comedy so let's start with some Bill Hicks?

Another atheist comedian I enjoy is Billy Connolly. Once more the loudest voices were the most devout when still in the church...

The next stop is once more in the UK with a comedian called Eddie Izzard. I had been listening to his comedy audio recordings for years but never once suspected he was a cross-dresser...

"Ein minuten bitte"

The last stop for this post is another comedian named Richard Herring and his tour was called: "Christ on a Bike". He has certainly done his research...

-Peace-
edit on 8-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Added Link

edit on 8-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Fixed Link

edit on 8-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Another Bad Link

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

"They killed baby jesus?
" lol.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Evening,

Many out there have heard the claim: "There are no atheists in foxholes".
Well, PFC Robert Leckie is here to pop that bubble...

I try not to recomend anything which smacks of the military industrial complexe but I'll make an exception for The Pacific. Worth the watch.

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Evening,

I just stumbled upon this one by accident and think that people like GenerationXero give me hope for the future mankind.
I caution that numbers ten and eight come across as a bit angry but the rest are really good examples of how the world is waking from it's religion induced slumber.
It's so easy even a child can figure it out.
No, that was not a veiled attack...that's just clip number six.

Hat's off to you GenerationXero.
The link to this audiobook and others (such as Jillette's God, No!) can be found on GX's facebook page...

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
These next few educational vids are an existential gold mine.
I raise my glass to Qualia Soup...well done.

Parts II & III are found at the videos end.

-Peace-

edit on 8-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Addition

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Afternoon,

Just rolled outta bed.
Time to start the day with a little Dawkins...

And a little Harris...

-Peace-
edit on 9-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Added Links

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join