It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Westboro Baptists ‘booking flights’ for Johannesburg to protest Mandela’s funeral

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I'm from South Africa and I have a question:

Are these Baptist folk white?

If so, consider the following:
These white people are going to come to South Africa and protest at the funeral of the man who freed his people from the Apartheid regime...
Aiiiii, good luck to them...

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I used to work at a state security hospital for mentally ill and dangerous patients, MI&D for short.

And there is a big difference between stupid and crazy.

99% of the time their violent outbursts ended when enough staff got there, no matter how enraged or psychotic they were, they could still count. Having 3 or 4 staff there did nothing, but once you hit the panic button 40 well trained security staff show up in a hurry. They also knew we were allowed to use deadly force if we felt that the situation was a serious threat to either staff or patients.

Phelp's may be crazy, but he's not stupid enough to protest the terrorist Mandela's funeral.

In fact, with the amount of idol worship Mandela get's in certain circles even threatening to go will have likely repercussions.

The new black panther party is militant to the core. It would not surprise me if the WBC went BOOM some time in the near future.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Hmmmmmmm

You seem to be implying Mandela was some kind of kingpin or crime lord....
edit on 9-12-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

en.wikipedia.org...

Educate yourself about Mandela, he was no saint.

He was on the U.S. terrorist list until 2008, his ANC was set up using cells, just like most terrorist organizations. They bombed, assassinated and used some pretty gruesome methods.

I suppose one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter, but there is no denying what the ANC did.

I don't hold Che Guevara in much regard either.
edit on 9-12-2013 by Hmmmmmmm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by IamKels

Are these Baptist folk white?

Yep! One big screwy family!!

Have at 'em!

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Hmmmmmmm

I agree, the God worship and insane amount of coverage the man's DEATH is getting is way out of control, time to take some of the starch out of the idolatry, this is what Westboro tries to do I guess, LOL.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ParasuvO

I've never been a fan of the adage, "great men have great flaws".

A great flaw is still a great flaw.

www.cracked.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
It has been proven time after time that these pussies won't protest anywhere that the gov't(Read that as 1st Amendment) can't protect them. They said they were coming to Canada last year. That didn't pan out either as they know they would have been torn apart and no one would have cared.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I can not say I wish harm on any individual person, but this group might be stepping a little too far out of any realm of protection they have ever had. I am sure they will not be met with any protection nor any one person happy to see them there. Hopefully they get stuck there we don't need them here.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Westboro is a family of lawyers who use religion as a guise for lawsuits. They apparently see South Africa as a target for some free cash. They do this for a job, in the attempt a local municipality gives them a chance for a discrimination lawsuit.

They must be really hurting for a paycheck to be willing to leave the country.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Have you guys found the Landover Baptist Church web page yet?

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Your point?

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I'm pretty darn sure that the WBC is simply saying that they will do this to garner press attention internationally but they will not actually go. Fred Phelps was a civil rights lawyer so he's not a racist (a bigot--absolutely) nor is he stupid--that's the problem with the WBC. They knowingly walk a very fine line in terms of free speech and they know how to work people over to get attention.

I'd be willing to put money down on the WBC not actually going to South Africa unless the Phelps family has gone so far off the deep end that they've decided to try to "martyr" themselves.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

windword
reply to post by Bassago

We should all chip in and wave them goodbye.

Where can we donate plane fare $, to send them on their way?

edit on 7-12-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

First thing I thought of when I read the title of this thread. Maybe we could setup some kind of Crowdsourcing fund?

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Fred Phelps was a civil rights lawyer so he's not a racist (a bigot--absolutely) nor is he stupid--that's the problem with the WBC.

According to his son Nate, he was publicly a 'civil rights leader', but privately, at home, he was a complete racist. He referred to his black clients as "DNs".

The D stands for Dumb. I'll let you figure out what the N stands for.

Much is made of the fact that my father was a civil rights attorney in the late 60's and 70's. Surely someone who worked for the equality of blacks can't be so bad. Again, from an insiders point of view, this argument doesn't wash. While my father did a tremendous amount of good in defense of equality for blacks, this was not evidence of his real attitude toward them. In addition to his Bible based prejudice, he made no bones about how he really felt toward them when he was around his family. It was not uncommon at all for my father, as well as his children, to refer to black clients in his office as "DN"s (dumb #), even in their presences. His southern upbringing surely informed his practiced disdain for the black race, but no doubt it was bolstered and entrenched by his interpretation of the bible as well.
n8rphelps.blogspot.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

In my opinion, these people are financed by an arm of shadow government. Tickets to SA without sufficient notice run in the thousands each. This church of hate is by design, to make the populous think they're extremist's among us. I call bull# on this theatre of hate.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

As weird as it sounds, it's hard to say. My dad actually was sued for workplace discrimination for using questionable language and telling dumb jokes by an African-American employee. The irony was that my dad thought the guy knew he was joking and he was paying the guy a full dollar more than all the other employees based on the guy's merits (work ethic, intelligence and efficiency). I can't remember the outcome of the suit, but I'm pretty sure my dad lost. He felt pretty terrible about it afterwards, too, because he learned how it made his employee feel and doesn't make those kind of dumb jokes anymore.

Always a chance that the same could be said of Phelps. Phelps is an old man and at one time, that kind of language was pretty much acceptable by the majority.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

No. These guys are Fruit Loops:

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Not disagreeing with you there on questioning their sanity. It's kind of sad that being objective on a subject is so misunderstood. In other words, read my words and do not add more or less to them. I always say exactly what I mean.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

WhiteAlice
reply to post by wildtimes

As weird as it sounds, it's hard to say. My dad actually was sued for workplace discrimination for using questionable language and telling dumb jokes by an African-American employee. The irony was that my dad thought the guy knew he was joking and he was paying the guy a full dollar more than all the other employees based on the guy's merits (work ethic, intelligence and efficiency). I can't remember the outcome of the suit, but I'm pretty sure my dad lost. He felt pretty terrible about it afterwards, too, because he learned how it made his employee feel and doesn't make those kind of dumb jokes anymore.

Always a chance that the same could be said of Phelps. Phelps is an old man and at one time, that kind of language was pretty much acceptable by the majority.

So your dad was telling racist jokes about a black guy and then got sued by said black guy?
Or was he telling jokes about something else?

I say it serves your dad right to be honest, the workplace is no place for discriminating or joking about sexuality, gender, race or religion.
edit on 9/12/13 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join