It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Deny Ignorance: Here is Why NASA isn't Hiding the Truth About NEOs

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

bottleslingguy
reply to post by daryllyn

who paid for the HST?

American Tax Payers?

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

daryllyn

Zanti Misfit

NASA was Created as a Military Agency , and as in All Military Controled Agencies , Secretcy is a Top Priority . The Public does Not have " A Need To Know " in that sense so it is Reasonable to assume they will Never be Told the Real Truth about Anything . .

But its the public doing the legwork for the discovery, observation and tracking of NEOs... so please explain how NASA could be hiding the truth from the very people that are giving them the info.

Think about it.

To many on here DON'T think that's problem they just refer to their copy of the conspiracy cliche handbook pick one and post it.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I gib u uno flag.
I gib u uno star.

Please thank you.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
For all the people on here that have a REAL interest in what's above us rather than sticking the boot into NASA at every opportunity on this site if you haven't already done so they should have a look at this thread and see what some members are doing.

ATS members astrophotography
edit on 27-11-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

wmd_2008
For all the people on here that have a REAL interest in what's above us rather than sticking the boot into NASA at every opportunity on this site if you haven't already done so they should have a look at this thread and see what some members are doing.

ATS members astrophotography
edit on 27-11-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

Thanks for sharing that thread.

Definitely worth a click

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

After working for the government, state and local municipality...I can bet my life and tell you that every single government agency on the planet keeps secrets....in reference to NEOs I have no idea...but you are right...would be impossible for them to hide that since its public view for any agency or amateur astronomer to look at. But id bet my life that NASA has quite alot of secrets...what people dont realize is secrets can be something simple like ...mismanaging a budget or making a satellite that measures signals intelligence to a tiny level. Things that may not really be that interesting but are hugely secret for them.

And space is the next battlefield...everything up there is secret as can be. I wouldnt doubt at all that we have structures on the moon...maybe not people living there but structures for intel...even some balloon structures that land and inflate and start doing their thing without any physical assistance. We have that tech for sure.

But let me throw something out...lets say you worked for nasa and found an neo that no one reported..and you calculate that it could hit earth and kill everyone on it but youre just not quite sure cause its too far out. Would you tell the public? I know they have before in the past atleast 2 times that I can remember of ones that will come close to us. It realy spread a lot of panic...and if they are wrong they look incompetent. I know id like to inform the public...but governments think so different than us.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

forgot where I was going with that
too lazy to reread but I think my point was that you keep saying backyard astronomers are the top of the foodchain and I'm saying they don't have access to the HST info without NASA. Just like the link you provided said the group was funded by NASA, so why do you keep downplaying the NASA thing? If these backyard astronomers are really the backbone of celestial observations then why do they need funding from NASA? Why is it unreasonable to be suspicious of them?

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

Things do get kept secret but there are certain things that can't be kept secret, if something was going to crash it earth it would be visible to amateur astronomers at some point and you can't keep the them from telling everyone.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

bottleslingguy
If these backyard astronomers are really the backbone of celestial observations then why do they need funding from NASA?

Say what???!!?1?
Backyard astronomers get funding from NASA?

First I'd heard of that.

Unless... its simply not true and you just simply pulled that one out of your arss in order to support your conspiracy theory.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

bottleslingguy

If these backyard astronomers are really the backbone of celestial observations then why do they need funding from NASA?

The funding goes to the Minor Planet Center, not to the astronomers. The MPC kind of organizes the whole thing and gives an organized platform for the astronomical community to collaborate and store/organize all the information.

Which is quite a bit different than what you are suggesting.

Why is it unreasonable to be suspicious of them?

These are your friends, neighbors, teachers, moms, dads, grandparents, etc... regular people that do this for fun... there are professionals out there but if I remember right, they are outnumbered by the amateurs. Regular people.. just like you and me. I see no reason to be suspicious.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Ignorance is a funny thing when you think about it.

According to Wikipedia the vast majority of NEO's have been spotted by organizations run by or supported by NASA directly, even if they report their findings to a NASA funded organization called the Minor Planet Centre.

Catalina Sky Survey is the most active modern sky search and is funded at least in part by nasa, having received over $4 million for telescope upgrades from them, and working as part of a program that congress mandated on nasa. For something that has no ties to nasa, there are a lot there.

LINEAR was the next best NEO search program, funded by NASA and the Air Force. Linear was overtaken by the CSS for the top NEO search program.

I did not find a direct link between NASA and spacewatch, but I didn't look very hard.

NEAT was also a NASA program.

So it seems odd that all these 'regular people' and 'amateur astronomers' all receive their funding from nasa, even the MPC.

Seems like NASA has an awful lot to do with something you claim they don't...

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Nodrak

I never claimed it had nothing at all to do with NASA... I said it had 'surprisingly little' to do with them and that people give them too much credit as far as being able to hide info about NEOs.

I addressed the funding earlier in the thread.

The funding doesn't change the fact that the MPC is the true hub for NEOs, instead of NASA, as many commonly assume.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   

You claim that NASA doesn't hide anything, like your last NASA thread. What do you base these opinions on, first hand experience, you work for NASA...... just asking because you're putting in such an effort to clear their image....... an image tainted by their own doing.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Village Idiot

You claim that NASA doesn't hide anything, like your last NASA thread. What do you base these opinions on, first hand experience, you work for NASA...... just asking because you're putting in such an effort to clear their image....... an image tainted by their own doing.

No, I didn't claim that they never hide anything, my claim was that they don't hide information about NEOs because... they can't.

If I work for NASA, I want to know where in the hell my paycheck is.

And, the motivation was never to clear their name, it was to dispel the notion that "NASA is hiding information about (insert object here) because OMG THE DOOOOM!".
edit on 28amThu, 28 Nov 2013 01:10:14 -060013ThursdayThursday1311 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Village Idiot

No am image tainted by misrepresented facts/images mostly by idiots on youtube and websites with very obvious agendas.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Some people need to stop watching MSM, seriously.
In this cases, when someone holds the power, and there are so many interests involved, one should question what being established down from the TPTB.
You must question everything thats being laid in front of you as established truths!

All whats stated in the OP sounds reasonable, but it doesnt really solve the issue here. Because, even if all that is true, NASA could still be looking to hide info from us, regarding comets and asteroids.
The question should be, could NASA hide information from us?
And the answer is that they could if they wanted to.
Because you see, NASA funds all those programs, and therefore has the ultimate word on them. Its like the head manager of a factory.
What if NASA wouldnt want an asteroid to be researched, would all these "amateur" people still be able to do so?
Just take a look at global warming, its all a scam, and yet we have a whole bunch of "independent" scientists backing it up(our neighbours and friends, as MSM try to put it). Im sure people who believe NASA isnt hiding information, also believe our world is heating because of CO2. Laughable!

I dont say they can hide every bit of info, but they try their best.

You shouldnt be so naive, they have the ability to control things, and they sure as hell take advantage of it, who wouldnt?

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by payta

NASA could classify things like say for instance you came across a secret military program or something like that.

The main scare tactic they have is going to jail, you think if an asteroid was going to wipe out earth that someone would care about a NDA?

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   

but doesn't all that grunt work get funneled down to one official voice? doesn't all the data wind up compiled with all the other and then translated by just a few people who may or may not have the ability for independent thought and who also may not want to lose their job so they do what their boss tells them? Otherwise we'd have people on youtube trying to get lone wolf, radicalized, conspiracy theories rolling simply by presenting what they've found.... you know, like Cheesy

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by payta

You must question everything thats being laid in front of you as established truths!

Yes, I'm aware of this, that is why I did the research to find out how it all works and who is doing the figuring and the process involved.

The question should be, could NASA hide information from us?

Not on NEO's because how could they hide information from the very people that provide it to them? Thousands of eyes are on the sky every night.. if something doom-y were on the way, the world wide astronomical community would tell us.

What if NASA wouldnt want an asteroid to be researched, would all these "amateur" people still be able to do so?

Yes they would. Many have very impressive backyard telescopes, and NASA cannot stop them from looking at whatever they want. That information is made instantly public via the MPC, so that it can be confirmed by others and observed.

They may be able to hide things, but NEOs are not one of them.
edit on 28amThu, 28 Nov 2013 08:36:09 -060013ThursdayThursday1311 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
So no one has yet seen the black knight satellite?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join