It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Deny Ignorance: Here is Why NASA isn't Hiding the Truth About NEOs

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
"Never a straight answer"

"NASA always lies about everything"

"NASA knows about (insert object here) and they are hiding the truth from the public so as not to create panic"

"NASA wouldn't tell us anything, even if they knew"

We have all seen comments like this floating around ATS.

NASA has amassed quite the reputation around here and I think its time we discuss why it is NOT possible that they are hiding the truth about any incoming objects and give proper credit to those who are watching our skies for us.

First of all... the whole process of finding, cataloging, and tracking NEOs (near earth objects) has surprisingly little to do with NASA. They are commonly credited with the entire process and operation but this is simply not true.

The Minor Planet Center is the real hub of the operation. This is the place astronomers turn to when they find an object. The information is then verified by other astronomers and the observations are used to make calculations about the object in question, such as size, speed, brightness, and orbital parameters.

But, just who are these people that are finding objects, calculating trajectories, and reporting their findings to the MPC?

They are professional, and amateur, astronomers from around the world. Regular people, just like you and me. They aren't NASA "officials" or anything of the sort.

When a discovery is made — be it by amateur or professional — the first task is to gain enough observations of the object to ascertain its orbit. Once again, we see the international collaborative methods employed by modern science. Already, the cosmic cat’s out of the bag as observatories worldwide make follow up measurements. There are no secrets about Comet ISON that hundreds of astronomers could keep quiet.

The effort of tracking and cataloging these discovered objects is a world wide one, that requires the collaboration of thousands of astronomers from around the world. The minute an object is reported, the cat is no longer in the bag.

There’s a scene from the 1998 movie Deep Impact where the president, played by Morgan Freeman, reveals a terrible truth… the U.S. government has known for over a year that a doomsday comet is headed straight towards Earth, with Hollywood CGI destruction sure to follow.

While dramatic, the scenario is also extremely implausible. On any given evening, amateur astronomers are sweeping the skies using telescopes mounted in backyard observatories that are the envy of many major universities. This effort to discover comets is collaborative and worldwide. If the “Big One” were headed our way, even the likes of Morgan Freeman couldn’t keep it secret.

NASA doesn't discover these objects to begin with, and the very public that they supposedly lie to and hide the truth from.... are the very people discovering and submitting the data about these objects.

How can NASA hide the truth from the very folks doing all the legwork for them? Think about that for a moment.

Source

So, there you have it. NASA isn't hiding the truth about any incoming objects, because it would not be possible with the amount of people involved in the collaborative, world wide effort in the current system of finding, monitoring and tracking NEOs.

As you can see.... the whole thing has way less to do with NASA, than most people are even inclined to consider.
edit on 26pmTue, 26 Nov 2013 18:14:05 -060013TuesdayTuesday1311 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

edit on 26pmTue, 26 Nov 2013 19:03:47 -060013TuesdayTuesday1311 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Nicely put together. I follow foreign agencies, their intel isn't quite as 'spotty'.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
This isn't news to most of us. While I appreciate the time you've taken to write your thread, it will sadly be lost on the nutters. These are the same people who believe there are rodents being photographed on mars, alien bases on the moon, and lizard shape shifters working in the upper echelons of global power (though I must admit, the latter seems somewhat plausible when one considers the moral character of politicians). Just look at the heavens gate cult and you have an accurate snapshot of the lengths some people will go to maintain their own delusions.

Great thread at any rate. If it prevents even one person from offing themselves to catch a ride on the ufo behind comet ISON then its a good contribution in my books. S&F.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
S+F!

There are also astronomers who don't work for NASA that book timeslots on NASA equipment.

We often hear here on ATS, "NASA is conspicuously silent on this (whatever 'this' is)".
While NASA has control over a wealth of hardware, it by no means is the Space Police, nor does it have magical abilities to weigh in on and see extra magical things more so than what were probably observed on their own equipment.

I think it's a mommy and daddy issues thing.

Must blame big named agency for all the personal disappointments about aliens not showing up everywheres!
If not them, then it's some other ABC or whoever is POTUS. Someone, somewhere is to blame.

Unfortunately for these sorts, there really will always be someone for them to blame for everything wrong in their lives because ... well, some folk never reach the level of adult responsibility where accountability for one's disappointments and let downs starts with a long look at the self.

edit on 11/26/2013 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

NASA was Created as a Military Agency , and as in All Military Controled Agencies , Secretcy is a Top Priority . The Public does Not have " A Need To Know " in that sense so it is Reasonable to assume they will Never be Told the Real Truth about Anything . .

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

daryllyn
NASA doesn't discover these objects to begin with, and the very public that they supposedly lie to and hide the truth from.... are the very people discovering and submitting the data about these objects.

you make a good case too cut NASA from the budget altogether & get rid of it....

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Zanti Misfit

NASA was Created as a Military Agency , and as in All Military Controled Agencies , Secretcy is a Top Priority . The Public does Not have " A Need To Know " in that sense so it is Reasonable to assume they will Never be Told the Real Truth about Anything . .

But its the public doing the legwork for the discovery, observation and tracking of NEOs... so please explain how NASA could be hiding the truth from the very people that are giving them the info.

Think about it.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The lady is on a roll!

Good to see, nice to read, and a breath of good ole fresh air (kind of like the large balloon I have which I found in an old closet of a relative. It's from 1975, still has the air inside, and every once in awhile I'll open it and breath a little of the air ---- it's as sweet as spring used to be).
edit on 26-11-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Aleister
The lady is on a roll!

Good to see, nice to read, and a breath of good ole fresh air (kind of like the large balloon I have which I found in an old closet of a relative. It's from 1975, still has the air inside, and every once in awhile I'll open it and breath a little of the air ---- it's as sweet as spring used to be).
edit on 26-11-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

Sort of off topic here, but that's creepy.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I totally agree... Nasa has a bad rep due to most people having no idea what they actually do..

the only thing that totally eludes me with regards to all space agencies (not just Nasa) is why are they so focused on near earth orbit?.. surely we should be looking to go out to find and colonize other habitable planets? considering it's only a matter of time before our earth gets hit by another asteroid like the one that wiped out the dinosaurs.

i think we can all agree that it's only a matter of time before we detect something but their is a huge difference between seeing it coming and being able to do anything about it..

i think nasa should be leading the charge when it comes to colonization of other planets but it sadly doesn't seem to be high on anyones agenda.. am i alone in thinking this?

edit on 26/11/2013 by Ph03n1x because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

AliceBleachWhite
nor does it have magical abilities to weigh in on and see extra magical things

Magical abilities? Things?

NASA has the ability to take more close up pics with Hubble but they don't do to time and money constraints.
That's their explanation anyways..

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
double post
edit on 26/11/2013 by Ph03n1x because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
NORAD does most of the work tracking NEO's.....NASA can't even take a dump without their say so

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

ut its the public doing the legwork for the discovery, observation and tracking of NEOs... so please explain how NASA could be hiding the truth from the very people that are giving them the info.

There would surely be non disclosure contracts with anyone they work with, NASA would decide when and what is told to whom. That would only make sense as there are military applications and reasons for much of what they do in space.

It would be perfectly easy and even reasonable (considering the character of interactions with all other countries) for NASA to have hidden projects, hidden agendas and hidden information. We are all still in a race of sorts, there are resources and new assets to be had out there and on the planets. Information is power as long as the other guy does not have it.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Certain people don't like that fact that they know nothing about a particular subject they may be interested in.
They feel compelled to discredit this agency simply because they cannot fathom the processes of modern astronomy themselves. After all, if they cannot figure it out, no one else should be able to.
So they resort to spinning things using misleading ideology.
Stars? Well I don't have a telescope so stars MUST be pin pricks in a black canvas! Seriously, it's totally an ego thing.
-Or a money thing, an agenda, which is pure evil imo.
edit on 26-11-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Blowback
NORAD does most of the work tracking NEO's.....NASA can't even take a dump without their say so

Source, please?

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Blowback

What about ESA and ROSCOSMOS?

Hmmm?

Did NORAD have a say in India launching?

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Char-Lee

ut its the public doing the legwork for the discovery, observation and tracking of NEOs... so please explain how NASA could be hiding the truth from the very people that are giving them the info.

There would surely be non disclosure contracts with anyone they work with, NASA would decide when and what is told to whom. That would only make sense as there are military applications and reasons for much of what they do in space.

It would be perfectly easy and even reasonable (considering the character of interactions with all other countries) for NASA to have hidden projects, hidden agendas and hidden information. We are all still in a race of sorts, there are resources and new assets to be had out there and on the planets. Information is power as long as the other guy does not have it.

Please read the OP more carefully. I was not referring to people that work for NASA. I was referring to the amateur and professional astronomers that discover, report, and calculate trajectories for NEOs and why it would not be possible to hide the truth about any incoming, hazardous objects from the public, because the information cannot be hidden from those that are providing the information about these objects.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

daryllyn

Source, please?

northcom tracks Space Junk

Space Fence

NORAD: Meteor shower, cause of light show

NORAD Tracks Santa

If it's moving up there NORAD tracks it

AliceBleachWhite

What about ESA and ROSCOSMOS?

they just use a diaper

edit on 26-11-2013 by Blowback because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

For a comparison, how many people kept the Manhattan project, Kennedy's Assassination, and Roswell Tip Top?

Anything can be kept secret if the bribe or threat level is high enough.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join