It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organization promoting religious freedom plans to deploy atheist billboards. AGAIN!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I found this article and the picture connected to it to be quite revealing.

This particular groups Atheism is not "no God" but rather belief in humankind over any god.

So Atheist it seems are believers of a religion called Humanism.

First look at the title of the article, now either the author of the article doesn't know what real atheism is (i.e. absence and rejection of the reality of a god of any kind) or is admitting from the title that Atheism is a religion promoting religious freedom.

Second, consider the picture below. Notice what it clearly says, "Believe in Humanity, not god" the affirmation is that there is a god but don't believe in him. The belief is in humanity or self. This is not a true atheist statement this is a humanist statement and any true atheist will see that. an atheist will go out of their way not to even mention god because to do so is to affirm the possibility that there is one or more. Just as this sign does.

And thirdly, the article is about separation of religion and state. As noble as that is humans are religious beings by nature. They either believe in one system of another, they pay homage to man or a god of their choosing i.e. Obama, Gandhi, Vishnu, Jesus Christ, Bennie Hinn or self. I read recently where Russia has open its doors to religions of many kinds after years of outlawing all but the roman and eastern orthodox catholic church and that controlled by the govt.

As sign recently seen hanging from a church said, "Russia let God into schools while Amerika took God out."

The agenda is not atheism but humanism and humanism is not "no God" but just that man can be his own god.

So as the sign says, "believe in humanity" it is a religion as good as any other.

My biggest beef with this so called atheist group is, they do not fight against keeping eastern religions practices out of schools and govt like yoga and transcendental meditation. Nor even OPENLY do they fight against Islamic religions in schools and govt when these groups get prayer rooms on campuses and in govt buildings or even tie up NY traffic to do their prayers ( when govt officials ((police and the mayor)) stand idly by as these fanatics tie up traffic they are supporting Islam. If a Christian prays on a sidewalk they are ticketed or arrested for it.) Where is the equality in their anti-religion ideology?

No, they have a PET peeve, they want to keep Christianity out of schools and govt. That is why they erect such disingenuous signs like these on Christmas. And make claims they are a group trying to separate govt and religion while promoting a humanistic religion of self exaltation while turning a blind eye to other religions operating unabated in our schools and govt.

BTW, true Christians know that Christmas is 1) of Roman Catholic origins based in paganism, 2) that today it is a Humanistic commercial venture meant to raise money for the pockets of big business. An 3) that Jesus was born about the end of Sept or early Oct not December.

One pastor I know says this when refuting the birth of Christ on Dec 25, "though we know Christ was not born on this day what this day represents is this: as The earth, the home of man is at it's furthest point from the life giving source of the Sun, so God sent his son at the time when man was furthest from their true living source, GOD." A far better message than a fictitious Humanists Santa Claus used to lie to millions of children every year for the last 100 years.

This group is desperate for attention and this is a good time of year for them to get it. so you can believe in god or you can believe in man they are both religious in nature. It is about time this Atheist group admits it.

Merry Christmas!!! Happy Hanukkah!!! Merry Kwanza!!! and God bless you all even these believers of Humanism.

here is a link to the story Athiest

edit on 26-11-2013 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Makes perfect sense to me!

God helps those who help themselves. Make sure you, your family and your neighbor are taken care of before you start worrying about your chosen sky pixie's appeasement.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Biigs
Makes perfect sense to me!

God helps those who help themselves. Make sure you, your family and your neighbor are taken care of before you start worrying about your chosen sky pixie's appeasement.

Amen to that. Our families are first even before our religious organizations

I was told once that a family of a member of this group mentioned in the article would not allow poor family members to go to get free food baskets on thanksgiving and Christmas because of their belief. I would hope that during times like these this group would spend money of giving food and clothing to the poor as many religious groups do this time of year rather than put up billboards that cost thousands of dollars.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I'm not sure why you think these clowns are "promoting religious freedom" -- they erroneously think that the Establishment Clause, which establishes freedom OF religion, means freedom FROM religion, which it does not.

I do agree that their money would be better spent on charitable services than on self-promoting billboards, though. "Volunteer and atheist"? Nice, but how about we focus on the former and a little less on evangelizing as regards the latter.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ChesterJohn

So Atheist it seems are believers of a religion called Humanism.
The agenda is not atheism but humanism and humanism is not "no God" but just that man can be his own god.

My biggest beef with this so called atheist group is, they do not fight against keeping eastern religions practices out of schools and govt like yoga and transcendental meditation.

Yoga and other Meditation is not religious. I don't learn about Hinduism in Yoga or Buddhism in w/e class(see that proves i dont know what they teach... other than pure physical stuff.

These Western bastardize version are nothing but watered down physical activities that has no religious teaching.

Nor even OPENLY do they fight against Islamic religions in schools and govt when these groups get prayer rooms on campuses and in govt buildings or even tie up NY traffic to do their prayers ( when govt officials ((police and the mayor)) stand idly by as these fanatics tie up traffic they are supporting Islam. If a Christian prays on a sidewalk they are ticketed or arrested for it.) Where is the equality in their anti-religion ideology?

Atheist group are predominant in Western countries... and what is the major religion? Christianity? and what are most Atheist? Ex-Christians.. should i go on or stop there?

Countries like Middle east is heavily religious, even down to the core government, but Atheist are slowly popping up there.

India barely give a crapoly if you Atheist or not.. they will be like.. ok you can be Atheist and Hindu, same goes with Buddhism.

China is mostly non religious country (not to be linked with Atheism).

BTW, true Christians know that Christmas is 1) of Roman Catholic origins based in paganism, 2) that today it is a Humanistic commercial venture meant to raise money for the pockets of big business. An 3) that Jesus was born about the end of Sept or early Oct not December.

If that was true, the world would be a better place but no, many people still believe in the invisible man in the clouds, watching you do you thing...

Merry Christmas!!! Happy Hanukkah!!! Merry Kwanza!!! and God bless you all even these believers of Humanism.

Happy holidays to you too. Im not gonna wish each person with different holidays...do no want any more religious stuff in my head.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I think it's entirely possible to be an Atheist, and/or a Humanist even at the same time, and still not be religious, or ascribe to any religion.

Some folks might want to revisit the definitions and observe the differences between a philosophy and religion.

edit on 11/26/2013 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

Also might want to add that you can also be spiritual without believing in a god or deity. People assume religion hold monopoly on spirituality.

Being in the nature alone might inspire and nurture you spiritual aspect, things like a running river bed, sounds of tree leaves in wind.. or the slight orange sun in the morning.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I think you're overcomplicating it. The idea of gods exists, whether those gods actually exist or not. If I describe an "ufrack" like a cross between a seal and Woola from the John Carter movie with bulging purple eyes and covered in gray and brown fur, it doesn't exist. Not as far as we know, anyway. But I can still refer to it because the idea now exists. Even if the actual animal doesn't.

Same goes for God. I can refer to God all day long if I want, but in my mind, I am referring to an entity which has been given form and life by those around me. Without them, it doesn't exist.

So you're taking some big leaps in your logic, Chester. You don't believe in the ufrack. But if you refer to it from now on, it's not because you believe in such an animal. It's because you are acknowledging the concept I invented. It's been around for a few months now. I might even draw it at some point. I'm growing rather fond of the creature. Especially now that I have some idea of what it would look like. Kinda cute and cuddly, actually. But I digress.
edit on 26-11-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

The humanist mantra "Believe in humanity, not God", becomes necessary when Christians pray for the end of humanity, gleefully preaching doom and gloom and final destruction, followed by a terrible judgement of humanity. It is necessary to counter the constant droning of Christians that mankind is worthless and wretchedly hopeless, due to original sin.

Humanist concepts need to be prominently displayed to counter such billboards as this one.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

It is necessary to counter the constant droning of Christians that mankind is worthless and wretchedly hopeless, due to original sin.

Christianity does not teach men are worthless.

They do teach that man is in a hopeless state of sin nature and stuck in it without any hope to do other than sin and in that even righteous deeds are filthy.

They teach that man is loved by God that he sent his son to be a sacrifice for their sins. Acceptance of that love is a requirement via the work of his son is the only way of salvation.

Now that is what many are against.

If you say there is no God you better be sure.

oh yeah the AOG signs are year round most of the Atheist signs only come out on holidays.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

It really bothers me that people insist that Humanism and religion are not compatible when most religions are quite in line with humanist beliefs. Sure you have the obvious big players like the Christian church who won't play along but many many many other faiths are quite willing to place humanity as a priority over dogma.

Alienating people with signs saying to place their faith below something is counter-productive.

As a main note, though, I think it's stupid to try to get rid of them, too. That just makes the church looks scared. Silliness from all sides, it seems.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

They do teach that man is in a hopeless state of sin nature and stuck in it without any hope to do other than sin and in that even righteous deeds are filthy.

I'm sorry, is there a difference between the two? Because I don't see it.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Christianity teaches that unbelievers are worthless.

Matthew 7:17 So every good tree produces good fruits, but the worthless tree produces bad fruits.

Romans 1:28 And just as they had refused to continue to have a full knowledge of God, so it was to utterly worthless minds that God gave them up, for them to do things which should not be done.

Titus 1:16 They profess to know God, but in works deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and found worthless as to every good work.

2 Timothy 3:8 Now in the same manner in which Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, thus these also withstand the truth; men corrupted in mind, found worthless as regards the faith

They teach that man is loved by God that he sent his son to be a sacrifice for their sins. Acceptance of that love is a requirement via the work of his son is the only way of salvation.

Atheist's aren't against your religion, they just don't believe it. I'm not an atheist, and I don't believe it either.

Right. Because, that loving God of yours will throw all the worthless unbelievers into Hell's fire for eternal punishment for not believing Bible stories.

I concur with the Humanists. We are the key to humanity's future, Not God.

oh yeah the AOG signs are year round most of the Atheist signs only come out on holidays.

So? That should be a relief for you then.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

windword

Christianity teaches that unbelievers are worthless.

Matthew 7:17 So every good tree produces good fruits, but the worthless tree produces bad fruits.

Romans 1:28 And just as they had refused to continue to have a full knowledge of God, so it was to utterly worthless minds that God gave them up, for them to do things which should not be done.

Titus 1:16 They profess to know God, but in works deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and found worthless as to every good work.

2 Timothy 3:8 Now in the same manner in which Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, thus these also withstand the truth; men corrupted in mind, found worthless as regards the faith

Atheist's aren't against your religion, they just don't believe it. I'm not an atheist, and I don't believe it either.

Right. Because, that loving God of yours will throw all the worthless unbelievers into Hell's fire for eternal punishment for not believing Bible stories.

I concur with the Humanists. We are the key to humanity's future, Not God.

So? That should be a relief for you then.

windword

Haven't you ever heard "one bad apple spoils the bunch"?

Are those who are evil, like say for instance John Wayne Gayce, was he inherently just a good guy with some bad thoughts? Or was he rotten to the core? He sure didn't produce any good fruits.

But let's say this, a pogrom..you know the riots against the Jews? Were those window smashings, book burnings, raping Jewish women all done by a group of really great people who were just a little misguided? Or where they rotten to the core?

And as much as you are afraid of an afterlife of hell, what about the humans putting each other into hell right now on this planet? I am not going to apologize for John Wayne Gayce's very humanistic idea of no value for another person's life no more than I will for the rioters in pogroms. Why worry about God before looking at the hell on this planet right now, and no, they are not all religious people doing it.

So if an atheist commits murder then it's just his animalistic nature but if a religious person commits murder then it is all the fault of God and Christianity?

Christianity does teach that human life is sacred, but why don't people see that message, instead they think God is going to throw everybody into hell, when the Bible says "God would that NONE should perish". That's God's will.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

Haven't you ever heard "one bad apple spoils the bunch"?

Are those who are evil, like say for instance John Wayne Gayce, was he inherently just a good guy with some bad thoughts? Or was he rotten to the core? He sure didn't produce any good fruits.

Was his illness contagious? Did he encourage others to do what he did? If not, he didn't spoil the bunch.

And as much as you are afraid of an afterlife of hell,

I'm not afraid of something that I don't believe.

what about the humans putting each other into hell right now on this planet? I am not going to apologize for John Wayne Gayce's very humanistic idea of no value for another person's life no more than I will for the rioters in pogroms. Why worry about God before looking at the hell on this planet right now, and no, they are not all religious people doing it.

What does any of this have to do with the Christian teaching of unworthiness and the worthlessness of unbelievers?

Also, I'm not really sure, but I don't think that John Wayne Gayce proclaimed to be a Humanist.

Humanism is a group of philosophies and ethical perspectives which emphasize the value and agency of human beings, individually and collectively, and generally prefers individual thought and evidence (rationalism, empiricism) over established doctrine or faith (fideism).
en.wikipedia.org...

So if an atheist commits murder then it's just his animalistic nature but if a religious person commits murder then it is all the fault of God and Christianity?

A true Humanist wouldn't commit murder any more that a true Christian would.

edit on 26-11-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

windword

A true Humanist wouldn't commit murder any more that a true Christian would.

edit on 26-11-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

Don't we have a debate on that very thing right now in this country?

And you are right, true Humanist and true Christian, which has been the fight all along among Christians, and yet non-believers lump us all together.

Why is it that one Christian hears a message of love and kindness toward their fellow man, and yet another Christian puts on a hood and a robe and hangs people? Is it Christianity? Is it God provoking them to murder?

The message of Christianity has always been love, grace, mercy, compassion and never revenge, but forgiveness. Why is it only a problem with the Christian message of a hell, when it is found throughout other religions as well?

But think about Charles Manson, Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, the Amish school shooter...what should their justice be? The Amish forgave because that's what their commandment was, but does it change the fact that the man turned away from God?

If we truly believe we are victims' advocates, then shouldn't we believe in justice for them? Even if justice is a truly evil person being sent to hell for their murder and destruction and bringing hell on earth? Whose life is more worthy?

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

But think about Charles Manson, Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, the Amish school shooter...what should their justice be? The Amish forgave because that's what their commandment was, but does it change the fact that the man turned away from God?

If we truly believe we are victims' advocates, then shouldn't we believe in justice for them? Even if justice is a truly evil person being sent to hell for their murder and destruction and bringing hell on earth? Whose life is more worthy?

Those people deserve life in jail, perhaps the death penalty. But, NO ONE deserves Hell.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Christianity does not teach men are worthless. Christianity teaches that unbelievers are worthless. Matthew 7:17 So every good tree produces good fruits, but the worthless tree produces bad fruits.

Mt 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit

Use a Bible that is the promised preserved version of Ps 12:6,7 and you will see that worthless and corrupt are two different things.

Also keep the context Matt 7 is about the religious elite of Israel only. Christian did not in anyway replace Israel or temple worship that will be reestablished for them soon.

Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

A couple things to note here, 1) "did not like to retain", "refused to continue" are two different things, and "which are not convenient" and "should not be done" are not the same either. 2) not one man Old or New Testament (except Jesus Christ) had the full knowledge of God. The Bible has limited knowledge of God, it is limited to his character and purpose concerning the earth and mankind.

Titus 1:16 They profess to know God, but in works deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and found worthless as to every good work. Timothy 3:8 Now in the same manner in which Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, thus these also withstand the truth; men corrupted in mind, found worthless as regards the faith

Tit 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

2Ti 3:8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

Again reprobate and worthless are not the same. This confusion of scriptures comes from Bible scholars who do not believe the word of God (Ps12:6,7) and their works are reprobate as Christian men.

They do teach that man is in a hopeless state of sin nature and stuck in it without any hope to do other than sin and in that even righteous deeds are filthy. They teach that man is loved by God that he sent his son to be a sacrifice for their sins. Acceptance of that love is a requirement via the work of his son is the only way of salvation. Now that is what many are against. Atheist's aren't against your religion, they just don't believe it. I'm not an atheist, and I don't believe it either.

Have you not read, Eph 2:12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

without hope in the world because only Israel was chosen, but now all men have access to God via Jesus Christ. John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Here in the context it is all men.

and anyone who is not for you is against you.

If you say there is no God you better be sure. Right. Because, that loving God of yours will throw all the worthless unbelievers into Hell's fire for eternal punishment for not believing Bible stories. I concur with the Humanists. We are the key to humanity's future, Not God.

Unfortunately unsaved men shall be thrown into hell and this I agree but only because of not availing God's cure for mans sinful hopeless condition. No one has to go to hell but by their own choice to either believe God's word or not believe. No man will go to hell against his will because they will acknowledge that they chose not the way of Christ but their own way.

Have you not read, 2Pe 3:9 ¶ The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Why do you think God has allowed this current world system to continue since his begotten's death? He wishes as many to get saved as possible but the choice lay with us not him. He has done all he can we must now act before physical deaths deadline or his sons return to sit on his thrown over the earth.

It is a simple process of turning to God via the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ

oh yeah the AOG signs are year round most of the Atheist signs only come out on holidays. So? That should be a relief for you then.

Lastly, I do not agree with AOG's sign. God wants us to think freely the problem is man picks and chooses his own way of thinking (corrupt if unsaved) instead of by faith in God's word they choose one of many forms of science or philosophy (humanism). Remember that religion and philosophy are kinfellows.

Philosophy is something we are warned against, Col 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

In that verse we can see many forms of thinking, philosophy being one of those ways and the other that is connected to it is vain deception (include conception of thought), traditions of men either religious or humanistic, Rudiments of the world thinking only about home, food clothing and communications, and not giving any thought after Christ.

edit on 27-11-2013 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-11-2013 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   

You need to fix those quotes.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   

AfterInfinity

You need to fix those quotes.

I tried the insert quote button did all this and I can't seem to fix it.

I have tried like 6 times

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join