It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organization promoting religious freedom plans to deploy atheist billboards. AGAIN!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

windword
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

Not all theists think that hard, are that smart, or knowledgeable of biology and physics.

Neither do all Christians or others who are religious.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

adjensen
Debatable? How is Jefferson being a Deist debatable?

He described himself as Christian on more than one occasion.

James Monroe was irreligious, and there have been four Presidents who were Unitarian, which is not a Christian faith. And if President Obama is a Christian in anything but name, he has a strange way of showing it.

Ah so this is where you think you get to decide what does/does not constitute a Christian? While I will agree it's an incredibly vague label, I don't think you get to decide. But hey, I've never met a Christian that didn't think they knew what a real Christian was...
edit on 28-11-2013 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Prezbo369
He described himself as Christian on more than one occasion.

I have never seen a reputable Jefferson scholar describe him as being a Christian. If you can cite one, please do.

Ah so this is where you think you get to decide what does/does not constitute a Christian?

A Christian is someone who avows the Nicene Creed, which a non-Trinitarian, such as a Unitarian, does not avow. Simple as that, it doesn't matter what I, or you, for that matter, think.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

A Christian is someone who avows the Nicene Creed, which a non-Trinitarian, such as a Unitarian, does not avow. Simple as that, it doesn't matter what I, or you, for that matter, think.

That's a Catholic definition of "Christian".

The dictionary defines Christian as:

Chris·tian (krschn)
adj.
1. Professing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
2. Relating to or derived from Jesus or Jesus's teachings.
3. Manifesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus; Christlike.
4. Relating to or characteristic of Christianity or its adherents.
5. Showing a loving concern for others; humane.
n.
1. One who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or follows the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
2. One who lives according to the teachings of Jesus.

Many Christian organizations have taken it upon themselves to define what a Christian is:

Our original definition in the year 2000 was:

"We accept as Christian any individual or group who devoutly, thoughtfully, seriously, and prayerfully regards themselves to be Christian. That is, they honestly believe themselves to be a follower of Yeshua of Nazareth (a.k.a. Jesus Christ)."

In 2011, changed to this definition:

"We accept as Christian any individual or group who devoutly, thoughtfully, seriously, and prayerfully regards themselves to be Christian. That is, they honestly believe themselves to be attempting to follow the teachings of Yeshua of Nazareth (a.k.a. Jesus Christ) as they interpret those teachings to be."
www.religioustolerance.org...

Not all Christians follow the Nicene Creed.

edit on 28-11-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

adjensen
I have never seen a reputable Jefferson scholar describe him as being a Christian. If you can cite one, please do.

I can quote Jefferson himself saying as much...

To the corruptions of Christianity I am, indeed, opposed; but not to the genuine precepts of Jesus himself. I am a Christian, in the only sense in which he wished any one to be

Lol you do realize not everyone under the Christian label is Catholic right?

narcissistic much?

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Prezbo369

Lol you do realize that Protestants also profess the Nicene Creed right?

United Methodist Church

Lutheran Church

Baptist Church

Where you will not find it being professed is by non-Trinitarian, non-Christian sects, like the Mormons, Unitarians, Jehovah's Witnesses and so on. Baptisms conducted by these churches are not considered valid by Christian churches, and converts must be baptized in the Trinitarian formula, which is an easy way to tell if the Christian church (whether Catholic, Methodist or other) considers another religion to be Christian.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Aaaaaand you're back to deciding who is a true Christian and who isn't.......

I know Catholics don't like to consider themselves a denomination, but instead the one true church given authority by the gods themselves. But the Catholic church is merely just another denomination from the 44,000+ currently in existence. You can whine and complain all you want, but you're no better nor any worse than any Mormon, Jehovah's witness or snake handling Pentecostal church member.

A fine example of how religion is one of the most divisive forces mankind has ever known.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Prezbo369

Aaaaaand you're back to deciding who is a true Christian and who isn't.......

I know Catholics don't like to consider themselves a denomination, but instead the one true church given authority by the gods themselves. But the Catholic church is merely just another denomination from the 44,000+ currently in existence. You can whine and complain all you want, but you're no better nor any worse than any Mormon, Jehovah's witness or snake handling Pentecostal church member.

A fine example of how religion is one of the most divisive forces mankind has ever known.

No... what he's explaining to you is that there is a common creed that Catholics just happen to share with other church denominations. Those denominations say the same thing that he is saying about the definition of a Christian.

We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, the maker of heaven and earth, of things visible and invisible.
And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the begotten of God the Father, the Only-begotten, that is of the essence of the Father.
God of God, Light of Light, true God of true God, begotten and not made; of the very same nature of the Father, by Whom all things came into being, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible.
Who for us humanity and for our salvation came down from heaven, was incarnate, was made human, was born perfectly of the holy virgin Mary by the Holy Spirit.
By whom He took body, soul, and mind, and everything that is in man, truly and not in semblance.
He suffered, was crucified, was buried, rose again on the third day, ascended into heaven with the same body, [and] sat at the right hand of the Father.
He is to come with the same body and with the glory of the Father, to judge the living and the dead; of His kingdom there is no end.
We believe in the Holy Spirit, in the uncreated and the perfect; Who spoke through the Law, prophets, and Gospels; Who came down upon the Jordan, preached through the apostles, and lived in the saints.
We believe also in only One, Universal, Apostolic, and [Holy] Church; in one baptism in repentance, for the remission, and forgiveness of sins; and in the resurrection of the dead, in the everlasting judgement of souls and bodies, and the Kingdom of Heaven and in the everlasting life.

This is a general version of what he's talking about. This is the litmus test I've heard pastors (even non-denominational) give to others to determine if that person or organization is Christian or not.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

adjensen
reply to post by Prezbo369

Lol you do realize that Protestants also profess the Nicene Creed right?

United Methodist Church

Lutheran Church

Baptist Church

Where you will not find it being professed is by non-Trinitarian, non-Christian sects, like the Mormons, Unitarians, Jehovah's Witnesses and so on. Baptisms conducted by these churches are not considered valid by Christian churches, and converts must be baptized in the Trinitarian formula, which is an easy way to tell if the Christian church (whether Catholic, Methodist or other) considers another religion to be Christian.

Not all baptist agree with the Nicene creed. Baptist are not protestant church. Protestant churches are the reform churches that came out of the RC. baptist did not come out of them because they were never part of them.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Exactly, thank you for clarifying that, even if it doesn't sink in.

reply to post by ChesterJohn

Not all baptist agree with the Nicene creed. Baptist are not protestant church. Protestant churches are the reform churches that came out of the RC. baptist did not come out of them because they were never part of them.

I don't really understand what you're saying, but yes, the Baptist faith can point back to a line in history that takes them back to the Roman Catholic church, though it runs through a couple of other denominations, depending on what type of Baptist you're talking about.

The only churches who don't point back to the Catholic Church (as opposed to Roman Catholic -- Eastern Orthodox split from the Catholic Church, not the Roman Catholic Church, they were never "under Rome") are those faiths that have been invented in the past hundred years or so (such as the Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses or "Oneness Pentecostals",) and who have fundamental disagreements with the Christian Churches on major points of doctrine, like the Trinity, or the Incarnation, to the point that they do not consider themselves to be Christian, and Christians agree.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Guys,

I will request this thread be ended if you all don't get back on track. If you guys want to discuss Christianity or Catholicism or any of the other Christian cults. Please start a thread don't high jack this one.

the OP is about a Atheist Group claiming "Freedom from Religion" yet only opposing Christianity during the Catholic/christian Holiday of Christmas and Easter by putting up signs. And about their use of god as it suits them and not direct proof none exists.

I have yet to see a sign or a suit filed against, and yes whether you believe it or not Yoga and Transcendental meditation does have spiritual and religious undertones of Hinduism and Buddhism. Yet not one Atheist group has ever complained about being free from those religious practices (they are required religious practice of those religions) in schools and government offices.

Not one Atheist group has ever put up a sign up during Ramadan refuting the Islamic religion and telling Muslims or non believers to believe on man not Allah or Mohamed, or filing suit against schools for allowing Muslim prayer rooms in high schools and colleges. Yet this same group claiming violation of separation of church and state when a group of Christians gather at a flag pole to pray or hold a Bible study in a class room after school hours, are quick to file suits in court and go to the MSM to tout the supposed violation and their cause.

I believe this Atheist Group should be a little more fair in their claim. Either change the name to Freedom from Christianity or or equally oppose ALL religions and practices so you are living up to your name "Freedom from Religion"

The problem lays here if they claim to be only against Christians (which they are) they fall into a class of violators of Civil law known as a HATE Groups. Which is what they truly are, a hate group disguised as a group opposing the violation of separation of Church and State.

I want anyone of you Atheist, who are currently discussing Christianity, Catholicism or Christian cults here, to show me where you openly oppose any other religion other than Christianity or the Christian cults. Link to them prove me wrong let us see it on you face book page or on an open private web page. That I await to see, and I will claim that I have never been so pleased to be proven wrong.

edit on 29-11-2013 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   

I oppose the philosophical subjugation of mankind to any theoretical higher power.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
To show that my words concerning the Atheist Group Freedom from Religion lack of equality when it comes to opposing religions of all kinds here is a link to their web page of which I have been reading and have yet to find a fight of any kind against any religion in the US except Christianity.

I think we could by this page show openly in court that they are hate group because they oppose only one group of people. they are religious racist of sorts attacking only Christianity or the Cults who claim to be or are of Christian origin.

Freedom From Religion is a Hate group. As there is not one publication on their site that opposes any other religion than Christianity. See for yourself follow the link below. it is a joke they are not Freedom from Religion but rather Freedom from Christianity as I have claimed from the OP. They are a legal bonefide 501c,d,e registered hate group.

here the link to their home page see for yourselvesFreedom from Religion

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

then openly oppose Islam as you do Christianity start living by your philosophy of Freedom From Religion not just one religion but all of them.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   

You clearly haven't observed me on Islamic threads. Not to mention true Islamic adherents are less likely to entertain a conspiracy forum than a fundie Christian, which provides not-so-common opportunities to express my disagreement with their philosophy.

edit on 29-11-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   

AfterInfinity

You clearly haven't observed me on Islamic threads. Not to mention true Islamic adherents are less likely to entertain a conspiracy forum than a fundie Christian, which provides not-so-common opportunities to express my disagreement with their philosophy.

No, no, No, you need to get along side Freedom from Religion and help them to fight all religions openly not armchair keyboard anonymous postings and rantings as you do. Get out there in public and either help them not to be singling out one group over all the rest or openly charge them with being a hate group by the very definition they are. No More hiding if you believe what they are doing then the next Ramadan put up a sign calling people to choose man over Islam.

Like Neo Nazi's they single out one group of people and oppose them. the difference is neo nazi's cant get a 501c,d,e because they are a hate group.

Freedom From Religion is truly Haters of Christianity that hide behind a facade.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

I have nothing to do with that group. Also, look who's talking! Why don't you stand up and address them directly and publicly instead of bitching about it anonymously or bullying me into doing it for you?

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

AfterInfinity

I have nothing to do with that group. Also, look who's talking! Why don't you stand up and address them directly and publicly instead of bitching about it anonymously or bullying me into doing it for you?

oh what a come back.

I do but cannot link to it as my identity will be exposed here at ATS where we are to be anonymous.

the post is about public signs against one group while claiming to be against all religion. You seem to be an exception but you are few and far in between.

so you are not against them so basically you are for them.

I have sent links, and emails to them on violations of the religious separation concerning Islam and they turn a deaf ear. There is not one instance of them ever standing against Islam or Hinduism or Buddhism or wiccans and their web page proves it.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

No, but I do pick my battles.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

AfterInfinity

No, but I do pick my battles.

Ones where you are safe obviously.

I was in a fire fight once, not participating just caught in it and believe me if I had a gun I would have got on one side or the other because regardless I was in danger anyway. In this case it was law enforcement that was fired upon by a gang with automatic guns. Surely I would have helped the ones who were attacked and out gunned.

In the case of FFRF it is Christians who are out gunned seeing they are not against religions but Christianity

My point, if we choose battle we can only win then we can never learn from loss an important part of winning the war.

You need to fight for what is right not pick and choose just to be a victor.

Keep up your battle but I am not your enemy.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join