It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lethal weapon: This is the gun that is killing America

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Cabin
reply to post by AlphaHawk

Lots of people from car accidents die because of their own fault.

Both need to be regulated hard, so people who would not use these responsibly do not get licences.

Car licences exist, why should guns require similar training?

Car can be used as a weapon, gun is a weapon and serves no other purpose than to shoot when needed.Most people are not afraid of guns, but they see no reason to get these, at least that is how it is round here. I could get one easily, but what´s the point, whom should I be afraid of?...

Car licenses only exist if you take it off your property. I know many a farmer who has an old beater truck that he and his kids drive on the farm without license, insurance, title, or registration. If you truly sold guns like cars, you could go in and buy a machine gun with cash, no ID necessary. The registration, license, and insurance only has to do with driving the car on public roads.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

DaMod
reply to post by Pejeu

Just saying...

LOL. I like the picture. He frequently spouts off about things he is clueless on.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Soon it may be hand-held laser and energy weaponry...

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Yeah... it's dumb.

And reminds me of this.

www.dodgeboard.com.../my-experiment-aka-my-lazy-shotgun.14655/

Here are the results of an experiment I conducted recently regarding how guns kill people. I had to see it for myself.

Today, I swung my front door wide open and placed my Ithaca model M-87 Featherlite 12 gauge shotgun right in the middle of the doorway. I placed 6 double-0 shotgun shells right next to it. Then I noticed that my shotgun had no legs, so I placed it in a wheelchair to help it get around. Then, I left it alone and went about my business.

While I was gone, the mailman delivered my mail, the neighbor boy across the street mowed the yard, a girl walked her dog down the street and quite a few cars stopped at the stop sign right in front of our house. After about an hour, I checked on my shotgun. I was surprised to see it was still sitting there in the wheelchair, right where I had left it. It hadn't rolled itself outside and it certainly hadn't killed anyone, even with the numerous opportunities it had been presented to do so. In fact, it hadn't even loaded itself.

Now, you can well imagine my surprise, with all the media hype about how dangerous guns are and how guns kill people. Either the media is wrong and it's the misuse of guns by PEOPLE that kills people, or I'm in possession of the laziest shotgun in the world.

Well, so much for my lazy shotgun. Now I'm off to check on my spoons. I hear they're making people fat. I want to find out how they do that.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Gator

They all do have their place, and I agree with you.

But consider that Adam Lanza likely was not as well trained with a fully auto weapon as most civilians likely aren't. I know I am not, although I am very experienced with all manner of what is typically considered "civilian" firearms from a life of hunting and living like a regular guy in West Texas

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

unfortunately, to exercise the innate right of self defense
one must tolerate some collateral damage.

guns are not bad, just the people who use them wrongly are bad

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Huh.. ive only seen what the rounds do to cinder blocks. And the 7.62 takes out bigger chunks. I wrongly assumed tissue would react in a similar way. well you taught me two things today. Thanks for keeping me straight.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Wow, that was a biased up article.

One of my neighbors commented recently how my mini-14 with a hardwood stock was okay for me to have but his brother-in-law's AR-15 had to go...

I was just shocked at the ignorance. I took a round out of the AR mag and put it in my mag just to prove a point to him. He truly did not realize that the two firearms were functionally identical. Just one was "scary looking". I just don't like the look of them so I went with the mini-14 but that is personal taste and another topic.

If you are okay with my ranch rifle you should be okay with the ArmaLite...

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by riffraff

Glad I could help.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Since they make a comparison of people wanting an AR-15 just like someone wants an iPhone it brought a question to mind.......

How many people are killed each year by an AR-15, and how many are killed while texting on an iPhone
while people are driving?

Source

"Texting while Driving has now replaced Drinking while driving as the leading cause of accidents and deaths of teenage drivers. Last year, over 11,000 deaths were attributed to texting and driving in the United States alone."

source

According to FBI statistics: In 2001 there were 323 deaths from RIFLES. It doesn't break it down any further so we dont know how many of those were "assault rifles".

Using "anti gunner" logic lets "say" all 323 deaths were from evil assault rifles....

So:

that's 323 people killed in a year (2011) from assault rifles
And 11,000 deaths from texting while driving.

We should ban phones, make people license phones or restrict where they can own them, when they may use them, where they may carry them. Every phone caused death shall be televised and beat to death about how we need more legislation on phones.

Also if you put a different color case on your phone that "could" make it illegal in some states....

edit on 4-11-2013 by mwood because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

They all do have their place, and I agree with you.

But consider that Adam Lanza likely was not as well trained with a fully auto weapon as most civilians likely aren't. I know I am not, although I am very experienced with all manner of what is typically considered "civilian" firearms from a life of hunting and living like a regular guy in West Texas

Automatic weapons are highly overrated. They're too expensive for the general population and that's before you even think of ammunition costs. I reload on a Dillon Progressive and wouldn't be able to keep up with the costs to maintain proficiencies in suppressive fire tactics. They also draw WAY too much attention to yourself at the range.

The shooters in Connecticut and Colorado were both lunatics. A lot more people could've been killed in either of those incidents. Because people like those idiots live amongst us, I am generally reluctant to share good information on the subject in public forums.

I will share this: If anyone decides to take up 'The Way of the Gun' make sure you join a member's only club/range until you know enough to be out on your own. Hint: When you know enough, you'll know better than to ever think you're good enough to be on your own.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

mwood

Since they make a comparison of people wanting an AR-15 just like someone wants an iPhone it brought a question to mind.......

How many people are killed each year by an AR-15, and how many are killed while texting on an iPhone while people are driving?

You left out the contrast for patients killed simply visiting their physicians. The numbers are quite staggering. It's all about demonizing guns and disassociating common behaviors from their inherent dangers. Henny Penny never listens "The sky is falling!! The sky is falling!!"

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

And that's really the thing: they were lunatics. If you go down the list of shooters, they are all crazy and have histories of instability. Often, they are taking antidepressants and other psychotropics.

But there was a turn of the page in the US mental health world back in the late 90's. Treatments became far, far more effective, which has a down side. The infrastructure that was used to house mental patients was diverted to the mentally ill prison population (which has always been a damn shame, to be honest....there are truly sick individuals that need to not be amongst the mentally healthy population for everyone's safety). So the new wave for mental health funding is "forensic patients". You know...the ones who chop up aunt Edna and eat her.

The problem with this: the focus is now more on treating the violent criminals once they hit the net, not on preventing them from ever getting snared int he net to begin with (or, just putting them in before they actually kill someone...like how it used to be done to a very minimal degree).

It is now not funded so much towards prevention, although medications do give a better overall quality of life to the average consumer. with psychosis. But it the system, at least in Texas, is no longer really geared towards prevention via inpatient care.

The prison-industrial complex has its mits in our healthcare, it seems. At least to some degree.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Yep, I'll 2d that!!

My simple solution would be to drop all prohibitions on gun ownership. Let the criminals and psychos be allowed to purchase and carry firearms without discretion. Let's see how many would be let off the leash then.

Problem solved. Case closed.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

www.cdc.gov...

Every day, almost 30 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver. This amounts to one death every 48 minutes.1 The annual cost of alcohol-related crashes totals more than $51 billion.2 Source....

articles.latimes.com...

Drug overdose death rates in the United States have more than tripled since 1990 and have never been higher. In 2008, more than 36,000 people died from drug overdoses, and most of these deaths were caused by prescription drugs.4

Drugs exceeded motor vehicle accidents as a cause of death in 2009, killing at least 37,485 people nationwide, according to preliminary data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

living.msn.com...
Number of deaths in the deadliest mass shootings (12 or more lives lost) in America, 1900–1999: 106
Number of deaths in the deadliest mass shootings, 2000–2013: 112

218 Deaths from Mass shootings in America since 1900. 112 of those have happened in the last 13 which can suggest a Number of reasons included into your factor of "What is killing America"

There are No Crack Marts. No Heroin depots. No stores Legally Sell or Market these drugs. = Yet they will calculate into more deaths in the next 48 hours, then in all your mass shootings which seem to equal in peoples minds as Americas Downfall. Not to mention we spend Billions of dollars supposedly fighting a War trying to stop them coming in the country & on those using and selling them in our country.

The numbers alone suggest that the 1 & only reason the Media and the politicians hiding under the guise of Democrat.. Republican.. Liberal.. want this Story played over & over until everybody in this country can't escape it's talk is not because they "Love the Children or Want the Violence and deaths to stop" Clear cut Slow Social programming to take away 1 of the many tools Americans used to have under the protection of the Constitution and general idea of Freedom reigns. Which have been slowly stripped from us for at least the last 20 years. The biggest is the war on our way of thinking.

Everyone Politician,No Matter what party is responsible for selling out any & all Freedoms they promised the People & it's democracy that got them there. Change, that is not in the Fundamental frame Work of the country it's working for is not Good, nor Change.. It's an attack on our principles.

All this is Corruptible by Money. The Main Media sources can wage on this greed & sell out for it, with politicians getting the same by working for some known & unknown few who paid Billions of dollars to Fund them into power & promise of more Power

That's the "Killer in America", and you are an example of how they get us and use our loose beliefs to work for it without even knowing it!

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I really expected to open this and see an article based on obesity and fast food restaurants across the US. Last time I checked heart disease was still the #1 killer in the US, so no it's not AR15's that are killing America because many are doing a good job of that all on their own.

edit on 11/4/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

You have, as always, put your big mammilian paws, directly on the nub of the matter there BFFT. Truth is, if the US government and its state appendages, were more prepared to deal with psychologically damaged individuals in a properly effective manner, then there would not be nearly as many mass shootings, and it would probably catch a whole bunch of other behavior before it became seriously problematic too!

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

spirited75
reply to post by winofiend

unfortunately, to exercise the innate right of self defense
one must tolerate some collateral damage.

guns are not bad, just the people who use them wrongly are bad

Go to the cdc.gov website and see how Tens of thousands are dying every year on "Legal Prescription Pain Killers" We tolerate that so the people who really need them can still have them" which as studies suggest is is less then you think. Seeing how 4 out of every 10 prescribed these opiates could benefit from a variety of other treatments or don't have that type of pain to Justify. thats without counting the people who scam to get scripts or docs who freely write them solely for the money they make from visits. Using the weakest rule of thumb for who and only who should get them.

If the Gov. stops & bans all morphine, oxyconton, I will personally lay down My house, gun, wife, and anything they like. I make the bold bet because the government is Lobbied by the companies who make them.

Including the 30 something people who pounded out out current Un Affordable health Bill. They have all just been hired to top notch positions that pay millions of dollars in a handful of medical supply companies, Pharma companies & the Best are now with the Big Insurance companies. Sold by a silver tounge troll, directed by V. Jarett the ab dictator. and written by The most wealthiest companies in the U.S.

To bad their shipping the thousands of logistics jobs that make them run and package their product over seas to Non Americans. We are the Joke of the world. The citizens of the richest most powerful country with the only unchanged constitution can't even keep it. Our constitution is obviously no longer the only unchanged one since it's birth. but we traded those freedoms for a full belly, i-phones, reality t.v & a promise that we will learn the Name of Kim & kanye baby sooner or later. Bread & Circus still works, man them Romans were smart..lol

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

The gun that's killing America is a lightweight, easy to handle assault rifle that has become a lethal weapon in the hands of losers, misfits and people with a grudge.

Now how did we know that was coming? I like how they feel the need to imply that if you are what is deemed as a "loser" a "misfit" or "someone with a grudge" you are obviously someone who needs to be watched.

As if there aren't millions and millions of people in said categories who live their whole lives without going on a killing spree. With any kind of weapon. A few people fly off the handle and do something crazy and suddenly, they represent anyone who has the slightest thing in common with them. Sometimes I really do feel like I live in an ant colony. People just don't seem to know how to reason. I'd better stop. Actually thinking about this makes me a misfit.
edit on 4-11-2013 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

THERE IS NO GUN KILLING AMERICANS... NOT PISTOLS, NOR SHOT GUNS, NOR ASSUALT RIFLES.

JUST HOW STUPID CAN PEOPLE BE.... KNIVES, BASEBALL BATS, TIRE IRONS, FIST, ROPES, AXE, AND GUNS ALL HAVE ONE THING IN COMMON:

THEY ALL HAVE BEEN USED BY A PERSON AS WEAPONS TO KILL PEOPLE...

BUT LAY ANYONE OF THIS LISTED ITEMS ON A TABLE AND IT WILL NEVER KILL A PERSON, NOT ACCIDENTALLY, VISIOUSLY, OUT OF ANGER OR EVEN DEFENCE.

IT IS BAD, MENTALLY ILL, MEAN, CROOKS, INSANE, SCARED PEOPLE OR LAW ENFORCEMENT OR SOLDIERS THAT KILL WITH THESE WEAPONS. BUT WAIT THEY CAN MAKE A KILLING WEAPON OUT OF ANYTHING. SO GUNS ARE INNOCENT OBJECTS GETTING THE BAD RAP FOR THE "CRAZY ON THE HANDLE"

SO QUIT BLAMING AN INANINMATE OBJECTS FOR THE BAD DEEDS OF HUMANING BEINGS.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join