It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Carolina House passes bill making ‘Obamacare’ implementation a crime

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+37 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   

The South Carolina state House passed a bill Wednesday that declares President Obama’s Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act to be “null and void,” and criminalizes its implementation. The state’s Freedom of Health Care Protection Act intends to “prohibit certain individuals from enforcing or attempting to enforce such unconstitutional laws; and to establish criminal penalties and civil liability for violating this article.”

www.washingtontimes.com...

View the bill:
www.scstatehouse.gov...

Wahaha. So right this bill is. I just love this part:

Whereas, the assumption of power that the federal government has made by enacting the "Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act" interferes with the right of the people of the State of South Carolina to regulate health care as they see fit and makes a mockery of James Madison's assurance in Federalist #45 that the "powers delegated" to the federal government are "few and defined", while those of the states are "numerous and indefinite". Now, therefore,

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:

SECTION 1. The General Assembly declares that authority for this act is the following:

(1) The Tenth Amendment to the United States Constitution provides that the United States federal government is authorized to exercise only those powers delegated to it in the Constitution.

But there's plenty more. READ IT.

Obamacare is just ANOTHER egregious, overbearing government power grab. And I entertained the idea until I went to try and get some quotes, even though I can't afford ANY healthcare at all, regardless. I was shocked when they wanted some $400.00/month for crappy insurance with a $10,000.00 deductible!

Look Obama, SCREW YOU! You aren't going to shove your crap down my throat any more. Not now, not ever. The people are sick of you, your damn lies, and your damn spying.

Ban government. Forever. These friggin pigs. Enough already.

And oh. Hurrah to SC for having some damn cojones. You better pass that bill SC Senate. The people are tired of saying please. Do it.

Related ATS Thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on Tue Oct 8th 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Here here! i couldn't agree more!

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   

S&F!

Too bad this cant be implemented all across America.

My sis lives in SC. I might have to move.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Not sure if you're aware but the article is from May 2nd so not exactly breaking political news...

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Maybe they will slide up a state and get a damn backbone in Virginia. SC might be getting ready to see a boom in their tourists, job market, and permanent residents.
I hope they do. Whoever passes a bill like this really deserves some huge benefits IMO.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Federal Law trumps State law.

They can pass all this legislation until they are blue in the face. Supreme Court made their decision.

This is just pandering.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Kgdetroit
Not sure if you're aware but the article is from May 2nd so not exactly breaking political news...

This appears to be an update.

The nullification bill moved on to the state Senate Thursday and referred to the Committee on Finance. As of Oct. 2, the bill is still residing in the Senate.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
This appears to be an update.

The nullification bill moved on to the state Senate Thursday and referred to the Committee on Finance. As of Oct. 2, the bill is still residing in the Senate.

Ah ha missed that part at the end. This is great news, hopefully other states take notice and follow suit. If not, I will seriously contemplate making some long term plans to move my family to SC.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

Federal Law trumps State law.

They can pass all this legislation until they are blue in the face. Supreme Court made their decision.

This is just pandering.

~Tenth

The Supreme Court has Overturned its cases.

Just have to wait years for it to do it.

As long as this "Tax" brings in the money, its here to stay unless "we the people" get fed up....

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

State's rights isn't considered pandering in the US...

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Perhaps now the U.S citizens could send the South Carolina House some love letters instead of all the hate mail that the Federal Government deserve.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   

JacKatMtn

State's rights isn't considered pandering in the US...

The Supreme Court disagrees

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for state's rights. I'm for nullification of this stupid healthcare law.

But passing what amounts to Mickey Mouse legislation isn't going to help.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Two things here..

1) Its BEYOND ANNOYING how little people understand about insurance. This is an obamacare point, but a general point to correct what you said. 400/mo with a 10,000 deductible. What this means is that your deductibles, in total are capped at 10,000. So if your office visit costs $20, then you would pay $20 for that visit, and the rest is covered. If you go to the doctor 500 times in one year, the 501st time would have 0 copay and be fully covered because you have reached your deductible limit for the year.

I fail to see how this is a bad thing since the typical highest copay one would likely incur in a year is a trip to the ER, which via the ACA marketplace plans are $350.

And before you question my knowledge of the insurance subject, my minor in college was risk management and insurance. While I hated the health insurance course because I think, generally speaking, most health insurance companies are evil, I did learn a bunch.

So I fail to see how 'obamacare' or the ACA screwed you in any way.

In my own example I applied last month for health insurance for me and my family. I have two kids (23 mos and 8 mos). Since my wife is on unpaid maternity leave we lost her workplace coverage. They offered me a plan at 800/mo, with 2500 coinsurance (which is what you mistook the deductible for) and it has a 50 copay for office visits (which is the cost of an office visit anyway). This is a stupid plan which is unaffordable for us but it would cover any crazy things like an ER visit with the kids or any unknown health problems yet to manifest in our seemingly very healthy kids.

Yesterday I got a quote for a plan from the ACA marketplace. Its from the SAME COMPANY which I applied to on my own. The quote i got was $292/mo with a 4000 deductible, no coinsurnace. And this plan covers dental, vision, and perscriptions... whereas the other plan did not. There are three levels of copays for everything depending on which healthcare provider I pick. So long as we stay in the "Tier 1 network" they are super low, except for ER visits which are $350 across the board. How is this a bad thing?

2) I applaud the South Carolina legislature for attempting to hold the federal government to the constitution. While this may seem contradictory to my previous point, stay with me and I'll bring it home. It seems that the real problem is that the ACA bill FORCES everyone to get insured. No one should be forced to do anything (other than take care of their children). Then, to penalize people for not wanting insurance is wrong. However, the states have made insurance complicated all on their own. I learned in school about how certain state laws chase away competition because its too hard to do business there, or the laws are biased in one way or another. New Jersey is the best example, and being a Philadelphia native I always take any chance I get to bash Jersey. Their laws are so twisted that insurance companies for any kind of insurance are scarce. The insurance they do have is stupidly expensive because there is no competition.

The idea behind the Affordable Care Act seems to have been lost on our puppet lawmakers in DC. Making healthcare affordable should have been the goal. Keeping within the confines of the constitution should be the 'rules of the game' for lack of a better way to phrase it at 1am.

So I'm torn between wanting to have insurance for my children starting 1/1/14, even though the way the law was written is against what I believe in... And wanting to see the lawmakers go back to the drawing board on this one.

If I were single, I'd say burn it and try again... but I know I'd rather see it go into effect so I can rest easier knowing my children can get the healthcare they hopefully won't need.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   

If that be the case then Secession should be considered by South Carolina :-

Threats or aspirations to secede from the United States or arguments justifying secession have been a feature of the country's politics almost since its birth. Some have argued for secession as a constitutional right and others as from a natural right of revolution. In Texas v. White, the United States Supreme Court ruled unilateral secession unconstitutional, while commenting that revolution or consent of the states could lead to a successful secession.

Perhaps this is somewhat of a guiding principle:-

The Declaration of Independence states:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.—That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,—That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness[3]

Sounds like a plan Jan.

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Whatsreal

Two things here..

1) Its BEYOND ANNOYING how little people understand about insurance. This is an obamacare point, but a general point to correct what you said. 400/mo with a 10,000 deductible. What this means is that your deductibles, in total are capped at 10,000. So if your office visit costs $20, then you would pay $20 for that visit, and the rest is covered. If you go to the doctor 500 times in one year, the 501st time would have 0 copay and be fully covered because you have reached your deductible limit for the year.

No, it's beyond annoying when people are rude to others while providing incorrect information themselves! A deductible DOES NOT mean that if you have a copay of $20, that is what you pay and the rest is covered. OH NO. It means you to pay OUT OF YOUR POCKET until you have SPENT $10,000 AND THEN insurance will cover the rest (in theory, they will cover 'some' of the rest, not all).

Comments like this show me how people support this bill, because they don't understand it, and they think it's so great. Those who actually understand it, well, don't support it.

And here is your source, explaining what a deductible is, from your a dot gov websites!

The amount you owe for health care services your health insurance or plan covers before your health insurance or plan begins to pay. For example, if your deductible is $1,000, your plan won’t pay anything until you’ve met your $1,000 deductible for covered health care services subject to the deductible. The deductible may not apply to all services.

healthcare.gov

See that, it says THE AMOUNT YOU MUST PAY BEFORE YOUR INSURANCE PLAN PAYS. You have it backwards sir!

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Whatsreal

Co-payment is how much you pay before your 'assistance' kicks in.

If a doctor visit costs $20, $40, or even $1000, you are out that amount, from your pocket... and don't forget any prescribed medications. It is only after your accumulated expenses exceed your co-pay amount will the insurance cover costs.

edit- if I'm wrong, so be it, but that's how the insurance policies I've had in the past worked.

edit on 10/9/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Whatsreal

1) Its BEYOND ANNOYING how little people understand about insurance.

Actually, its beyond annoying that people dont get that this is a

TAX.

One that the majority of Americans DONT want.

The ONLY people making money off of this are the very people who were inflating the rates to begin with!

Talk about a shell game.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   

The Supreme Court did make their decision and there was more to that decision than just the mandate/tax issue. It did address the issue of state's rights to some degree where the ACA is concerned. It made things like Missouri's Constitutional Amendment, which I happily voted on, ...and I'm guessing S.C.'s wording, legal & proper. (Roberts gets the last laugh on this one)

It also allowed states to reject the entire section of the ACA regarding expansion of Medicare/Medicaid ...which makes for extremely uneven implementation and another fight coming, I'm sure.

That's the part of that Super Court decision they kinda pretended hadn't happened and no one wanted to talk about. It's quite a show coming in some states cases, I believe.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   
the whole thing is stupid.

now i have to pay for some crap my family would have otherwise had for free. my son and i are native american, however my wife and stepdaughter are not. the tribe covers spouse's and stepchildren.

but CDIB is what gets you exempt. not tribal coverage. so they are more or less screwed, which of course means i am more or less screwed.

similar to how the non-fedarally recognized tribes are also screwed.

i hope the states fight this tooth and nail.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Yay!!! So proud of my state right now!
See, we ain't all jes a buncha hicks laaaak y'all thought we wuz.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join